Policy Questions Thread

its been sometime i have emailed KArit with no response which GM/STaff member can i reach out too, For my petition thats been ongoing.

GM-Twist is on in the evenings and GM-Nwaij is on during the day (in terms of EST). Those are the GM's I have seen the most of lately.

Random policy question: Is it legal to switch groups in a raid mid fight? I'm not talking about switching out different characters, just changing the group makeup during an encounter.

Random policy question: Is it legal to switch groups in a raid mid fight? I'm not talking about switching out different characters, just changing the group makeup during an encounter.
sounds like an exploit of the 2.5 client. i remember taryth posting about exploiting bugs/oddities of the 2.5 client being punished severely so i'd assume that'd be a bad idea

I can see how swapping someone NOT in the raid at the beginning into the raid later would be a huge exploit / illegal etc. Switching groups doesn't seem as exploity but I see how it could follow under the same line which is about what I expected.

I can see how swapping someone NOT in the raid at the beginning into the raid later would be a huge exploit / illegal etc. Switching groups doesn't seem as exploity but I see how it could follow under the same line which is about what I expected.

It could be used to get people into a group for group heals after losing a few people to pull off a win.

I think this should be added to the rules now that it's doable in 2.5, just to make sure no one thinks of it and tries it.
There was mechanic in place specifically to counter this in 2.0, that no longer works because of a 2.5 client bug. How is this not a blatant exploit? I suppose for the people who played after 2.5 clarification would be necessary.

IMO clarification of rules is always going to help the server in general. Especially with a new client now is as good a time as ever to revisit some of the rules and clarify them or update them. Many of the rules as they stand sound a bit draconian but in practice are much more benign nowadays, a rewrite on some of them might help out.

It could be used to get people into a group for group heals after losing a few people to pull off a win.

Is... is this a bad thing? I know it is new and cheapens phat lewts from the bad old days, but how mindnumbingly stupid is it that when your raid loses people and you're down to, say, exactly 6 people that the spells meant to hit 6 people can't hit everyone still alive? If the group/raid system was more robust this situation would fix itself, so having the wherewithal and reaction to fix this mid "wipe" seems more admirable than exploity.

Is... is this a bad thing? I know it is new and cheapens phat lewts from the bad old days, but how mindnumbingly stupid is it that when your raid loses people and you're down to, say, exactly 6 people that the spells meant to hit 6 people can't hit everyone still alive? If the group/raid system was more robust this situation would fix itself, so having the wherewithal and reaction to fix this mid "wipe" seems more admirable than exploity.

I have learned long ago that it's a waste of time to argue either way.

I do see your point, and while there are ways to cast spells on other groups in raids without being in them using /tgb on/off, I guess it still gets tough when there's 2 people in each raid group. While everyone will probably agree with you and want the same thing, it would only make raid content THAT much easier which does no good for anyone in terms of progression. There has to be some level of difficulty involved.

I do see your point, and while there are ways to cast spells on other groups in raids without being in them using /tgb on/off, I guess it still gets tough when there's 2 people in each raid group. While everyone will probably agree with you and want the same thing, it would only make raid content THAT much easier which does no good for anyone in terms of progression. There has to be some level of difficulty involved.

As I acknowledged, but restricting groups during an encounter is the wrong kind of "difficult". You could make Super Mario Bros an extremely difficult game by making every 7th button press not register, and there would probably be a small following of people who were super into that. Though from an overall game design point of view, most people would think that was a very silly and unfair thing that makes the game less enjoyable. Put some more fireballs on the screen or make it so you have to jump on the boss (*gasp*) four times, don't introduce functional limitations and certainly don't make some draconian rule that you gotta not do that because we said so, see. Besides, unless you are slumming this would not be a game changer for most (most- as in not all) encounters. Every now and again some on-the-ball leader would rearrange groups after people decide they are too good to run out of the room and jump (or whatever) and the raid would eek out a close, memorable win. Huzzah! The other option is yet another rule-you-just-gotta-know and/or spending time removing a feature from the game.

@Kedrin Yeah... but once in a while an idea kind of sticks (and sometimes, against all reason, they don't) and for whatever reason I like this crazy server and every now and again IRL people express an interest in playing a new (to them) mmo together so I gotta dip my toe in the pool to check the water, or whatever.

Last edited:
I mean, it is hard enough to get people to accept group invites and get raids formed in town. I think trying to form into a full group mid-encounter to save some mana should be applauded but they make the rules I guess.

Back
Top Bottom