Somatic Bond and Avatar of Destruction

Shame there isn't a spell which transfers the damage the chanter takes after someone breaks mez 1 second after land "unintentionally" to that person. Not balanced but it would be hilarious.

Any thoughts on giving a non stacking 10% version of the spell to other class(es)?

My experience has been that dampening is the real kicker that makes enchanters so required at the endgame. On most fights we could handle the lost dps, but dampening will make or break the raid.

I don't remember when the dampening thing happened or what the reasoning behind it was, but seeing as it appears an Enchanter can only keep it up ~60% of the time (54-60 second duration vs 95 second reuse) giving a lower version to other casters would be an all around buff even if you do bring an Enchanter.

Direct spell damage reduction seems like a problematic concept altogether though; this just sounds like "you need to bring a Bard for MotS, part 2." Would rather see that whole thing axed and maybe bring in the "resists = mitigation" idea that has been floating around recently in place of it. But that would take some work to balance...

That would be amazing, would make resists mean something at higher tiers when we all just have to deal with unresistable incoming damage.

PS does anyone use the charm pets on the second floor of spires? I can't remember seeing anyone using them now that I got thinking about but I could be wrong.

edit: I added some to the other floors and made them respawn in five minutes just in case someone does.

Last edited:
PS does anyone use the charm pets on the second floor of spires? I can't remember seeing anyone using them now that I got thinking about but I could be wrong.

edit: I added some to the other floors and made them respawn in five minutes just in case someone does.

wow way to buff enchanters.

Tonight the fix for Somatic is going in.

This sort of discussion post is not going to see much (any) action from the staff until we get some actual numbers and see how much enchanters really do bring in to raids.

That is part of the beauty of this change. Everyone is going to be able to see where enchanters stand. Enchanters included.

Just a quick thank you to the two devs (mentioned in /motd) that stayed up all night working to get the server back up.

If you want it to be more stable/reliable, make it die when the enchanter dies so it doesnt rage on remaining raid members.

Kind of off topic but since charm came up and there was some discussion in irc:

I think this might be a good idea for charm in general if we want to make it more palatable in raid settings. If the Enchanter is killed by their pet when it breaks (with a loose interpretation of "killed by" in case the thing you are actually fighting lands the killing blow), or if the Enchanter just dies while it is charmed, it would "get confused" and shunt off back to its spawn point or maybe just despawn rather than going on a rampage and wiping the rest of the group/raid. You'd still be able to try to save the Enchanter when their pet gets loose--and if you do manage to save them you will have to either deal with the mob or wait for it to get re-charmed--but if you don't manage to, the risk will only be to the Enchanter themselves rather than everyone else, interrupting your attempt at a 6-man encounter or whatnot. Or if everyone is just AFK and the pet breaks you won't come back to find that everyone wiped in the meantime.

Preserves the risk, but just for the person who chose to take it rather than putting the burden on everyone.

any dialogue that leads to enchanters being more rounded and universally useful is music to my ears

charm idea sounds great

what will become of illusory sleight?

I think this might be a good idea for charm in general if we want to make it more palatable in raid settings. If the Enchanter is killed by their pet when it breaks (with a loose interpretation of "killed by" in case the thing you are actually fighting lands the killing blow), or if the Enchanter just dies while it is charmed, it would "get confused" and shunt off back to its spawn point or maybe just despawn rather than going on a rampage and wiping the rest of the group/raid.

Preserves the risk, but just for the person who chose to take it rather than putting the burden on everyone.
This sounds cool. But again, my concern is not raids (at least at tier 11+ there's a lot to do as enc and that's awesome), but rather xp groups. So if charming becomes viable in all xp zones, that's awesome. I'd be fine with mobs whose charm faded simply not summon, but I like this idea, too.

I don't remember when the dampening thing happened or what the reasoning behind it was, but seeing as it appears an Enchanter can only keep it up ~60% of the time (54-60 second duration vs 95 second reuse) giving a lower version to other casters would be an all around buff even if you do bring an Enchanter.

Direct spell damage reduction seems like a problematic concept altogether though; this just sounds like "you need to bring a Bard for MotS, part 2." Would rather see that whole thing axed and maybe bring in the "resists = mitigation" idea that has been floating around recently in place of it. But that would take some work to balance...

Dampening was put in and replaced sapping curse when bards were required for any-and-everything that does spell damage, when pot4 gave higher resists and mots had no manacost and had a lot bigger mitigation (it was 30 or 40% or something iirc). So enchanters essentially took some of bards' job.

I think this might be a good idea for charm in general if we want to make it more palatable in raid settings. If the Enchanter is killed by their pet when it breaks (with a loose interpretation of "killed by" in case the thing you are actually fighting lands the killing blow), or if the Enchanter just dies while it is charmed, it would "get confused" and shunt off back to its spawn point or maybe just despawn rather than going on a rampage and wiping the rest of the group/raid. You'd still be able to try to save the Enchanter when their pet gets loose--and if you do manage to save them you will have to either deal with the mob or wait for it to get re-charmed--but if you don't manage to, the risk will only be to the Enchanter themselves rather than everyone else, interrupting your attempt at a 6-man encounter or whatnot. Or if everyone is just AFK and the pet breaks you won't come back to find that everyone wiped in the meantime.

confused sounds cool. going back to it's spawn point would be better. despawning charmable mobs by sacrificing enchanters would probably get abused by scumbags. (I am the the scumbag that would abuse this. for science.)

This is pretty awesome. These usually are killed before the chanter has time to set up to test them. I tried to check some undead in Plane of Monk as our chanter was boxed, and they were either killed too fast or killed me in the zone pulls. I cannot even imagine how frustrated chanters may feel on this point.

But if anyone goes up to PoM, there are some blue cons that hit really hard that are worth testing.

I remember when shared mind was being worked, people said it was actually worthwhile to bring an enc to group/raid. And now people complain that they like having it too much, so nerf enchanters!

I love mesing, it's one of the best things about the game for enc imho. But a lot of content doesn't need mesing, most exp groups yell at me when I do it (it's just easier to mage/wiz rain), necro tomes spread dots, some of the more commonly encountered weapons high end proc ae dmg (galeforce??) now we will rain/ae mimic off ourselves? /cm gag on.

Honestly I don't like GoG/AoD, while I keep up runic 2, runes/raid runes, etc. 90% of a raid is **click gog macro** **click aod macro** and repeat. The spells are also a fairly high mana use with short duration, so most of the time I'm out of mana mid-two thirds through a boss fight. And that's not counting raid runes or saving mana for curses. Adding a cool down to it like it used to have, or to aod, would make them horrible.

GoG tome was a cool idea, and it's fun, but most of the time the melee get pissy because they're not getting gogged, and in reality while it's fun to gog myself, it's a lot more useful to aod/gog others. It also gets tiresome gogging myself every 2 or 3 ticks. Some duration on that when cast on the enchanter would be amazing.

Why not combine AoD/GoG into one spell that boosts both melee and spells, and free up a spell gem for charm/vex/some as of yet unknown cool spell idea? There are other melee line spells that could be used pre-runic gog. Or keep gog, but make AoD have melee/caster combo and use it as a runic upgrade for gog as well as casters.

Last edited:
Or keep gog, but make AoD have melee/caster combo and use it as a runic upgrade for gog as well as casters.

I could see that. Might need a teensy bit more ATK to justify the higher mana cost when using it on Rogues and Monks.

And I know people have brought up combining the crit curses several times before but the idea of just combining GoG and AoD suddenly makes it seem silly that Striking Curse and Rending Curse were ever separate spells at all. Can just combine the mana costs and put both effects on the lower level one. How often is it terribly important to burn with melee but not spells or vice versa? I'm betting not often enough to outweigh having an extra spell slot.

Can just combine the mana costs and put both effects on the lower level one. How often is it terribly important to burn with melee but not spells or vice versa? I'm betting not often enough to outweigh having an extra spell slot.
While you are doing this can you consider adding non-stacking debuff component to curses and lowering the recast that way they can be cast more frequently but not on the same mob? They might actually get pulled out when exping then, it's just a thought.

I have no clue if this was mentioned before in this thread because I didn't wanna read 8 pages of stuff BUT:
AoD + cleric = 4evar healz (martyr's gets copied, along with all the other ones, its ridic OP, might be an exploit?)
EDIT: not only this, but it uses the cleric's heal inc and CoPs for the heal portion.
EDIT EDIT: The new AoD doesn't work on weapon procs, whereas the old version did by giving more spell crit. Would love to see it affect weap procs again.

Last edited:
While you are doing this can you consider adding non-stacking debuff component to curses and lowering the recast that way they can be cast more frequently but not on the same mob? They might actually get pulled out when exping then, it's just a thought.

What if you brought two Enchanters! Also how frequently should they be able to use it? Every trash mob on a raid? How many times in a long fight with multiple targets like Thaz1?

Will the spells have another illusion added to them? Because being invisible it's very annoying to position yourself on mobs to melee.

Back
Top Bottom