This Months Account Drive - YOU DECIDE!

Obviously the best way to do this is make a ton of WoW acconts, level up, then over time make friends and convince them to leave to play this really cool small server you heard about.

haha, I think I manged to convince my friend at work to play SoD, and possible get a couple of his friends to play with him while they wait for the new WoW expansion to come out. Maybe they'll like it so much they'll wanna play SoD for keeps. But they are PvPers so they might get bored just doing PvE, we'll see.

whatever

I think you should make a mandatory question/survey for everyone that plays to participate in. questions geared towards finding the demographic of the current player base. The correct questions, and number of questions should get a reward in itself. You will have a different tactic depending on the demographic. I believe age, schooling, income, # of people in house (this game can be a family event with multiple pcs) are just some of the things i would consider. Family (doesn't have to be imediate) and RL interactions will gain you more of a player base than any internet advertising. think of face book, people like to interact, family too, they post pics to share. that is an approach that will lead to long term player base. try linking the 2 somehow (any social interaction site, to this game). 2 previous posts hit the nail on the head and need to be combined. drizzly (getting RL people old fasion way), and the other guy who said that this is too hard to get get loaded (i used to be a programmer, IT support too). although, Rl interaction is key, they will help get people loaded (by whatever means). look at farmville (not beautiful graphics, but somehow they prevail). why? linked to social sites. how do you link to scoial sites? good question, i don't have the answer. I suggest making link happy site to stats that are social site compatible. One of the issues that has not been addressed is player retention. get them on? good. but what keeps them here? this has to do with dude with guild trying to help. but dude with guild is not the answer. helps, but not a GOOD answer. I suggest game mods. I would like to feal an EPIC fealing when first creating a char. WTF you guys (devs) put all your eggs in the basket making things happy with OLD players with kunark. then some other guy says let's do an account drive. has it ever occured to you to try and make the lower levels more fun first? one of the BIGGEST things that I have noticed is that lower lvls are just plain ass borring. you can make this game more INTERACTIVE at lower levels, while maintaining balance and same progression levels. people like to click, people don't like to fricking sit bored. make the lower levels more "click, less die or sit" friendly while maintaining current progression levels for a soling player. The RL friend gets them hooked, but then they have to go raid and can't log in HELPER toon? where is the zone that people can solo in at lower levels that is not totally F'ing boring for the click click click people? nowhere. trials of harclave on eq2 is what I'm thinking. something that keeps a person busy, they don't die, they progress, they can still talk to people in game. GOOD :) keep all the high level stuff the same. also, make something epic fealing in the lower levels. currently there is NOTHING. NOTHING makes a person FEAL like they are getting something in the lower levels. WE can only recommend this game in RL, but it is up to YOU to make the game tangible at lower levels. YES STUPID EASY SOLOING, BUT CLICK EASY HAPPY SO PEOPLE ARE BUSY WHILE THEY ARE SOCIALIZING WITHOUT COMPRIMISING THE SPEED THAT THEY AQUIRE LEVELS. some dip poop had a theory of time, and i believe it has to do with how many times you can push a button (stupid add adults). let them choose easy or har mode. easy mode gets them into a beginner zone geared towards button mashing, low exp, low downtime, then ween them of it !!!) PLAYER RETENTION !!

bottom line. don't ask us to make things happen. I think you need to make goals upon your own geeky (I'm a geek) staff for player retention and recruitment.

if player base is your focus, you need to program for that too, not just higher level players (they can always make alts)

ease casual people (soloing) at lower levels into more difficult tasks. I blame lack of lower tasks(quests) as the majority of your problem, we can get people, it's up to YOU to keep them.

STOP CATERING TO HARFCORE PLAYERS !!! can you make a class that is K.I.S.S. yet sucks at higher levels? make them reroll? or have them quest (long quest) to change themselves into a regular player?

where are the EASY things to do at LOWER levels, that give GREAT rewards that yet will still suck at higher levels?

You need word of mouth, better programming at lower levels, synch stats with social sites, make it easier to FIRST TIME LOAD.

I would also like to add, PVP server, K.I.S.S. guild creation,

This game is social, get rid of the beginner anxiety, make a word of mouth promotion reward, make a guild leader reward?,

Don't expect miracles with a game that doesn't cater to first time experiences.

I'm drunk, I have nothing left to offer......so .............

me

I think you should make a mandatory question/survey for everyone that plays to participate in. questions geared towards finding the demographic of the current player base. The correct questions, and number of questions should get a reward in itself. You will have a different tactic depending on the demographic. I believe age, schooling, income, # of people in house (this game can be a family event with multiple pcs) are just some of the things i would consider. Family (doesn't have to be imediate) and RL interactions will gain you more of a player base than any internet advertising. think of face book, people like to interact, family too, they post pics to share. that is an approach that will lead to long term player base. try linking the 2 somehow (any social interaction site, to this game). 2 previous posts hit the nail on the head and need to be combined. drizzly (getting RL people old fasion way), and the other guy who said that this is too hard to get get loaded (i used to be a programmer, IT support too). although, Rl interaction is key, they will help get people loaded (by whatever means). look at farmville (not beautiful graphics, but somehow they prevail). why? linked to social sites. how do you link to scoial sites? good question, i don't have the answer. I suggest making link happy site to stats that are social site compatible. One of the issues that has not been addressed is player retention. get them on? good. but what keeps them here? this has to do with dude with guild trying to help. but dude with guild is not the answer. helps, but not a GOOD answer. I suggest game mods. I would like to feal an EPIC fealing when first creating a char. WTF you guys (devs) put all your eggs in the basket making things happy with OLD players with kunark. then some other guy says let's do an account drive. has it ever occured to you to try and make the lower levels more fun first? one of the BIGGEST things that I have noticed is that lower lvls are just plain ass borring. you can make this game more INTERACTIVE at lower levels, while maintaining balance and same progression levels. people like to click, people don't like to fricking sit bored. make the lower levels more "click, less die or sit" friendly while maintaining current progression levels for a soling player. The RL friend gets them hooked, but then they have to go raid and can't log in HELPER toon? where is the zone that people can solo in at lower levels that is not totally F'ing boring for the click click click people? nowhere. trials of harclave on eq2 is what I'm thinking. something that keeps a person busy, they don't die, they progress, they can still talk to people in game. GOOD :) keep all the high level stuff the same. also, make something epic fealing in the lower levels. currently there is NOTHING. NOTHING makes a person FEAL like they are getting something in the lower levels. WE can only recommend this game in RL, but it is up to YOU to make the game tangible at lower levels. YES STUPID EASY SOLOING, BUT CLICK EASY HAPPY SO PEOPLE ARE BUSY WHILE THEY ARE SOCIALIZING WITHOUT COMPRIMISING THE SPEED THAT THEY AQUIRE LEVELS. some dip poop had a theory of time, and i believe it has to do with how many times you can push a button (stupid add adults). let them choose easy or har mode. easy mode gets them into a beginner zone geared towards button mashing, low exp, low downtime, then ween them of it !!!) PLAYER RETENTION !!

bottom line. don't ask us to make things happen. I think you need to make goals upon your own geeky (I'm a geek) staff for player retention and recruitment.

if player base is your focus, you need to program for that too, not just higher level players (they can always make alts)

ease casual people (soloing) at lower levels into more difficult tasks. I blame lack of lower tasks(quests) as the majority of your problem, we can get people, it's up to YOU to keep them.

STOP CATERING TO HARFCORE PLAYERS !!! can you make a class that is K.I.S.S. yet sucks at higher levels? make them reroll? or have them quest (long quest) to change themselves into a regular player?

where are the EASY things to do at LOWER levels, that give GREAT rewards that yet will still suck at higher levels?

You need word of mouth, better programming at lower levels, synch stats with social sites, make it easier to FIRST TIME LOAD.

I would also like to add, PVP server, K.I.S.S. guild creation,

This game is social, get rid of the beginner anxiety, make a word of mouth promotion reward, make a guild leader reward?,

Don't expect miracles with a game that doesn't cater to first time experiences.

I'm drunk, I have nothing left to offer......so .............

me

u bad ><

trying to read that gave me a headache

there is a lot, i mean a LOT of things to do while leveling. if you're bad and cant find them or arent good at making friends, dont blame the devs. SoD pvp is an absolute joke to be honest, and dedicating bandwidth to it would be a waste of resources.

Youre awful quick to yell "this is a social game" and then scream "we need more solo content". Pick one, seriously.

Progression in this game is not linear, its exponential. You need to figure out that maybe having high levels handed to you and THEN learned how to play the game isn't how every game is made. Some games, like this one, make leveling JUST enough work to where you MIGHT learn some small window of knowledge into the potential of your class, rather than an LOLFACESMASH im going to pound my face into my keyboard until i hit max level and maybe then pay attention. Maybe.

TL;DR: Work before play dog

I think you should make a mandatory question/survey for everyone that plays to participate in.... I believe age, schooling, income, # of people in house
If I were new and interested in this particular game, and I were suddenly faced with this questionnaire, I am turning around and leaving immediately.

and the other guy who said that this is too hard to get get loaded (i used to be a programmer, IT support too).
Wut? I started playing this game when it WAS a bitch to install. It's ridonkulously easy now.

has it ever occured to you to try and make the lower levels more fun first? one of the BIGGEST things that I have noticed is that lower lvls are just plain ass borring. you can make this game more INTERACTIVE at lower levels, while maintaining balance and same progression levels.
Are you kidding? I have never understood it when people complain about beginner content in this game. I challenge any of you who share that sentiment to roll a race other than elf or human, and then don't mop them to NP or Athica to do the newb quests there. Roll a barb and hang out in Halas and EFP for a while. Roll an Erudite and feel the natural progression from newb grounds in Mistwoods, to further south, to Warrens, SI, etc. Roll a Troll or Iksar and go play in the swamp for a bit, then trip into MielA. Get out of your comfort zone, there is more beginner experience here than I think you may give it credit for.

where is the zone that people can solo in at lower levels that is not totally F'ing boring for the click click click people?
My first toon here, I leveled a warrior to 35 solo. Not a hybrid, not a DPS class, not someone that can heal in combat, but a tank. I was in many different places. Never was I bored. Maybe that's just me.

something that keeps a person busy, they don't die, they progress, they can still talk to people in game.
Groups do that. And dying=learning. Or more dying if you don't. Gotta take off the kid-gloves at some point.

make something epic fealing in the lower levels. currently there is NOTHING. NOTHING makes a person FEAL like they are getting something in the lower levels.
Prog ring quest in Underhill, SK guild quests in Grobb, Warrior guild quests in SNP, the cool-as-hell caster quests in NP, Bracer quest where you kill the 4 nameds from Warrens in Erudin, TONS more. And that's all before you get to Starfall quests. All of these scale appropriately to level in their "epic-ness".

YES STUPID EASY SOLOING, BUT CLICK EASY HAPPY SO PEOPLE ARE BUSY WHILE THEY ARE SOCIALIZING WITHOUT COMPRIMISING THE SPEED THAT THEY AQUIRE LEVELS.
Here you go

Hey man! Don't go mucking up my fame-earning potential here!

I'm drunk
Should have led with that, imo.

I think your heart is in the right place with this post. I also think that you are either impossible to please, or you have not fully experienced what this game has to offer. Or you're drunk!

Last edited:
also, make something epic fealing in the lower levels. currently there is NOTHING. NOTHING makes a person FEAL like they are getting something in the lower levels.

The world could probably use more adept mobs; but seriously, I'm sad that you overlooked these. Also treasure maps.

My compliments for being able to get through that whole post. I sure as hell couldn't.

I also agree that between Adepts/Tmaps/Starfall/MQ/etc there is definitely enough low level content.

Iksith-related viral campaign could be really cool. Create a short web comic telling parts of Iksith stories through the eyes of an individual character, something simple that would encompass what makes the recent expansion in SoD so big to the world as a whole. You could do the same type of thing unrelated to Iksith instead, but the expansion might allow for a cooler story.

Something like that would be a much more flashy thing to post all over the internet instead of the standard "Hey check out how phat we are @ shradsofdalaya.cam." I suppose you could even do the comic with ingame assets but it would definitely be cool to get something hand drawn.

I'm pretty sure that by myself as a random player, I"ve helped more people than moontree has...its not like you guys are singlehandedly saving SoD or anything. The game isn't really that hard to require a guild like Moontree, so don't act like you're doing everyone a big favor.

Wow dude.. way to be a huge ****

I'm sorry, but getting younger people to come from one of the easy modes, FORCE FEEDING you directions, levels, quests, etc.. Good Luck. If you get people coming to this game and they stick around, they are probably above a certain age. Undoubtedly any kid who has played WoW or AoC or WO, etc. will be disappointed. These games hold your hand so much it's scary. Coming to EQ where you are expected to figure out for yourself where things are, how to get around, dealing with ridiculous drop rates, ridiculous spawn times, under con mobs, an interface that is less than intuitive, based on a game over 15 years old, etc.. You aren't going to "WoW" kids now a days. There are going to be exceptions, mostly kids whose parents play EQ. However the majority are going to laugh at the graphics and be frustrated by the gameplay.

Having said this I would target an older age group with any adds you place. Even if they didn't play EQ back in the day, odds are they played some kind of MMO and they can deal with the interface, quest system, graphics, actually inputting /commands. I just came to this emu about a week ago. I had played EQ back in the day so I knew what to expect and even I didn't remember how different this game was from recent MMOs. I hadn't played in like 8-10 years and the only reason I didn't move on is because of the nostalgia. I realize the devs here have worked hard on this game but in terms of ease of play for a completely new player, it ranks at the bottom of MMOs. That is mostly due to it being based on EQ which didn't hold your hand like your a child. However that is what kids expect now because of MMOs like WoW.

Before the raging begins... I am playing this emu and I am having fun with it. This is not a hate post. I am merely explaining why I believe targeting an "older" age group would be beneficial. In other words no stupid crap like the Evony adds. Any kid you snag from an add like that would load up EQ and be gone in milliseconds. That is if you could even get past them Youtubing EQ or SoD, seeing the graphics, and then never DLing the game in the first place. Anyway, thats just my opinion on the subject.

I realize the devs here have worked hard on this game but in terms of ease of play for a completely new player, it ranks at the bottom of MMOs.
No, those spots are reserved for EVE Online and Anarchy Online. The developers did a great job with "The Dream" as a tutorial to get players familiar with the game/interface, and the main quest does well to get players into the lore and ease the pain of leveling. Whoever is complaining about there not being a guild for people to find help in, what the heck is the point of Dalaya's Beginners? I've gotten immense amounts of help from the people in that.

Personally, I'll say there's three things in the way of getting more attention paid to SoD.

a) Lack of general advertising. I think sites like MMORPG.com and OnRPG (from my experience) would see this server as a "private server." When people on those sites see private server, they immediately assume it's illegal and shouldn't be posted, then come the flames and backseat moderators (not to mention the 1 or 2 people who feel it necessary to chime in because they don't like the game on the official servers). I think a lot of popular MMO forums may have a problem with advertising this server, even if it's not technically "illegal".

b) Perhaps the biggest problem, is the inability to provide a free client. Few people nowadays, mature and immature players alike, want to pay $20+ for EverQuest Titanium or the latest collection and maybe even wait for it to arrive in the mail just to play on a private/free server. Even if it's a really good server like SoD, all private servers get lumped together as laggy servers that are down 90% of the time, have corrupt GM's, have awful communities and/or try to sucker donations out of it's users with empty promises. Unless there's some completely free (non torrent) method of playing out there, a lot of potential players will never give SoD enough of a shot to see how genuine it is.

c) I had some third point and forgot it. Maybe it'll come back to me ;)

If we can get past these, I think we can set ourselves up for a jump in the community. I'd enjoy seeing a facebook group and twitter account set up as well.

you should give every one throw stone. The 1 dmg thing. For all them "clickers" who just gotta be clicking something.....

why don't we bring back the old reference system. Players used to be rewarded 50 of 100 or whatever fame for every player they referred to SoD on the account creation form. Worked pretty well IMO and rewarded players year round for efforts vs a one month a year spike then nothing the rest of the year.

I think older 3d games will just have more and more difficulty drawing new users in large numbers. With new MMO's from established game companies switching to the free to play model, like DDO and LoTRO from Turbine, it's hard to draw on a market outside those already nostalgic for a twelve year old game.

I'm reminded of a Tolkien MUD I used to play in the early to mid '90's. It was very cool and had a good user base. Fifteen years later they have the exact same logins as they did in '95. And they have dealt with the difficulties of account drives as well. The business model for a text based MUD like that has it's limitations that just don't go away, no matter how hard they wish it weren't so. SoD is unfortunately in a very similar boat.

Edit: Btw I wouldn't suggest not trying. But simply be honest about managing expectations.

Do we have any domain shortnames registered like shards.com or dalaya.com we can use as a redirect? www.shardsofdalaya.com is way too long to be "marketable." I checked some alternatives and they're pretty much all already owned, was wondering if staff bought some of them up.

Its hard to draw people here that want to stay after a few encounters with the douchbags that run rampant on the server. Couple that with the occasional bad press regarding the staff members (Do you ever see positive shit about staff? Yea I never have) and people generally will just go play on one of the other emu servers.

Server has a lot of good things going for it but so much bad press on the other servers its hard to entice players to try it out.

There needs to be something to hook them at the lower levels. Coming to a place with no friends is hard, the game is not that outdated in contrast to whats out there and being played. I think more lower end quests for armor/items and things to get people hooked when they first start and not when they raid might be p legit. Im not sure how to make that happen but it might be something to catch peoples attention from the start.

Back
Top Bottom