This Months Account Drive - YOU DECIDE!

I still stand by the notion that the biggest problem, by far, is the fact the client isn't freely available anywhere. People these days are spoiled by free MMORPG's (even though 90% of them end being about as free as the subscription games or more expensive with cash shops and greed), going to the store or going online and spending anything over $5 for the client just to try a private server just isn't going to happen... even if it's probably one of the most professional, fair and well run private server's I've encountered. The only people who would are the people who are willing to take a risk for a game they could end up loving, and the nostalgic people who played EQ back in the day, and in this "free everything handed to you to get people to play" competitive MMO environment we live in, very few are interested in taking risks on a server like this.

Unfortunately, within legal means, I don't think there's a way to solve this particular problem either....

Last edited:
IMO the biggest turn off here is the staff and how they act.

oh man you are really going to hate this then =((((

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I was aware sod did work in wine.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20308

At least under Squeeze. Keep in mind Squeeze is still in testing, which may or may not account for some of the problems.

Also

I currently run SoD on Lucid, I copied over a previous install and had no problems running it with Wine. If you are having issues I would suggest installing the latest version of wine, getting your winetricks on (So that you can have .NET 2.0. See here for info on how to get and use winetricks), and maybe using PlayOnLinux to manage the CD installation.

Also, if you are getting it to run and it crashes you might try disabling EQWindows, because Wine already places it in a window of its own.

Last edited:
Didn't check to see if anyone had mentioned it yet, but...

Why not cater to former EQ server sites? If I remember correctly just about every server had a community-driven board. I'm willing to bet the majority still exist. I know that's how I found out about SoD, someone mentioned it on the old Brell Serilis boards and I came over, and brought a few others with me. It wouldn't take much to simply make a post on each with a brief blurb about SoD and include a video from last year or something.

If we could convince one of the major online comics to do a strip, or even just give the game itself a shot, that would be amazingly effective, too. Ctrl-Alt-Del, Penny Arcade, GU Comics, Looking For Group, etc. are all gamer oriented and all are pretty MMO centric. They'd be the target audience we're going for.

Ok so I learnt about this game like 2 weeks ago from the p1999 forums.

Now, I've made a character- and from someone completely new to it all, what goes against you is the fact its new. p1999 picks up heaps of people because we've all done it before.
I made a ranger, logged in, couldnt find my way outof surefall and logged back out lol.

I do however intend to start playing here instead of p1999, simply because I'm an offpeak player (Aussie) and I need to 2 box to be able to level.

You could definately try advertise a little bit on p1999. You might get a lot of interest. I read a thread with a very brief reference to one of the guilds messing with this server somehow, then googled it, and here I am. :)

1) I noticed on wikipedia.org, SoD is listed no where in there. I know several of my old eq junky buddies often go there to revisit old articles and this is a super cheap, easy way to catch someones attention. In the section for MMORPG's there is a section for "Free MMORPG's" that might be a good spot to list SoD...Especially since it gives details of what you get for a free account.

I would alo recomend a page solely for shardsofdalaya, so that people have something to link SoD to... IE a general page of who SoD is and how it works...

Downfall... I never learned how to update/add wikis, therefore, I have no idea how to post stuff like that on the site...

2) I agree on with most on the client issue. If I wasn't such an old junky and kept my CD's from my old EQ days, I prob wouldn't have tried SoD... I am curious if there is a way to provide a "Trial" Version of the everquest software without violating trademark rights. I.E. One group of people hosting a basic software portion of eq on their site, while another group hosts 95% of the map files on their site... I dunno... stupid idea my bad... but the wiki thing may help.

Back
Top Bottom