Suggestions for Fixing Unnecessary Muflation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and why do we feel so passionate about it? Probably due to if any of your ideas got implemented (Your real ideas not your +15% XP that you threw in to make your absolutely batshit crazy ideas seem a tiny bit more valid) it would probably be the death of the server and none of us want to see this happen SoD is amazing and you just have no clue what it takes to make a game like this work.

I guess I just don't understand the offense I've committed here.
You'd probably get people just disagreeing, but for one you started this off of a topic that had yelly people on both sides to begin with, and two:
+ lots of words is a good combination to get people in a yelly mood or to get them to completely skip over your posts. I've done it too. Actually I think I did this a lot, and I think I still do this. Shit.

you've shown you're more interested in attacking me personally than addressing the arguments

I thoroughly explained why each of your arguments are terrible. You ignored my post. You piss people off because you ignore all the legitimate replies explaining why your ideas dont work, and go on acting as though you are our savior, and just cant figure out why people dont agree with you.

This is my last post in this thread. Not only are you clueless about what this game needs, but you have an uncanny ability to completely ignore reasonable, thorough, and unoffensive explanations of how/why your ideas are bad.

Last edited:
Apologies for the arrogance and wordiness. I'll try to cut down on both, although I can't guarantee success.

I thoroughly explained why each of your arguments are terrible. You ignored my post. You piss people off because you ignore all the legitimate replies explaining why your ideas dont work, and go on acting as though you are our savior, and just cant figure out why people agree with you.

It's true I haven't responded to every post in the thread yet, but I've hardly ignored you or your legitimate replies:

And your extrapolation on guest lock doesn't work. Faction lock will not and should not ever be added. Its too easy to exploit.

You've got a point there. I don't have a response to that one yet. But I'll work on it. :)

I imagine the best way to deal with this would be to keep the current system in place, but to have in-game methods available for toons to fix their factions so that you're never permanently fucked. Blackscale already has a method for fixing its faction if you go KoS. So does Sadri Malath (which is a lot of work to fix, by the way). This way, GMs don't have to get involved if a faction is affected, and you still have to live with the consequences of sharing your info with other people.

And when someone posted a better idea than the one I had:

That's a really good idea, Udeni, and I think it would be pretty easy to implement. I second this idea.

If you still choose to feel ignored, I'm not sure I know what to say to you, but I'll continue to try and respond to your arguments. There are a couple of posters I've intended to respond to earlier in the thread, I just haven't responded yet because their arguments requires a more dedicated response on my part.

Uninformed opinions offend the playerbase in general. Defending uninformed opinions stubbornly is not how you play the forum game. This whole thing started because you didn't agree with the Grupo decision, and you're just trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Without further ado, the on topic point-by-point:

eqjenius said:
1) Fix guest-lock to also include faction lock and experience lock. If you can't trust someone to not screw over your character, this person shouldn't be getting you free experience/faction.
This would be stupidly exploitable. It is your responsibility to inform whoever you share with if you're on Dragon/Giant... not that hard. If they screw you, that is unfortunate for you and I'm sure you will want to rethink letting that person use your accounts. This boils down to personal responsibility, but your solution is a nightmare.

2) Reduce or remove experience gain from grouped characters that have been inactive for 10 minutes. If they return from AFK (cast a spell, run in a circle, whatever) their XP returns to normal.
Leeching isn't a terrible problem that needs to be solved by making exping a pain in the ass. So I make a macro that pauses and casts a spell ever 10 minutes. Look, I've beaten your "solution" and I only have to push a button once every hour.

3) Ringers: New characters can't run around with tier 11 gear since the best items in the game are no-drop. To me, inactive tiered toons which are easily accessible is the same as a piece of tier 11 gear for your noob toon. Actually, it's like 20 pieces of T11 gear and a shitload of tomes. I suggest making accounts inaccessible to non-primary IP addresses after 10 consecutive logins from non-primary IP addresses. Inactive accounts (including old ringers and buffbots) would quickly cycle out of the game, and no one else would be particularly affected.
Your proposal for limiting IP connections would block most people from using their accounts. That includes you, eqjenius. I myself have logged onto my GM from 3-4 IPs tonight alone. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The discussion on 'solutions' for ringers is an old one. And there have been better suggestions than this that were also fail.

4) Add a 15% xp bonus across the board. May or may not be necessary, but it would make the people most affected by these changes happier, and would further reward people who are actually active in the game.
Oh yes. More exp for everyone. That'll really close the gap.

I think we should just stop talking to this person his posts are better written then abel's but the content is on par.

God... I hate agreeing with Draeos. Dammit, look what you made me do.

I'm going to chime in here to say that I actually think the explock on a guestlocked account is a AWESOME idea.

The rest of it I am not so sure about, but it's been covered pretty well here.

Whether or not this guy's other ideas are fabulous, I'm happy to see that somebody at least has the balls to try to think of an idea and suggest it, rather than just staring at the server thinking 'gosh I wish something could be done about this but. . . . I can't think of anything, and if I could I wouldn't want to risk being flamed.'

Since when did personal attacks become okay in this forum?

The problem I see with explock on a guestlocked account is that most people will instantly stop using guestlock, because most people don't hand out their infos to people they don't trust. Then all the convenience guestlock gave the staff, allowing them to not have to deal with the deletion issues and whatnot, is right back to what it was before guestlock came about in the first place.

Okay... if you want anyone to take you seriously, you should include your in-game main character's name.

*snip*

Has anyone else noticed these changes, and is there some explanation for why these changes were implemented? I've tried to look at the forums and the front page and haven't seen anything regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Aelias
65 Ranger

But enough talk! Have at you!

Last edited:
The problem I see with explock on a guestlocked account is that most people will instantly stop using guestlock, because most people don't hand out their infos to people they don't trust. Then all the convenience guestlock gave the staff, allowing them to not have to deal with the deletion issues and whatnot, is right back to what it was before guestlock came about in the first place.

Either they will stop using guestlock and then be VERY careful who they give out their info to, because it cannot be guaranteed to be protected,

Or they will use guestlock and the characters will still be used as buffbots and ringers but they won't get exp for them.

Both of these results are agreeable to me.

Either they will stop using guestlock and then be VERY careful who they give out their info to, because it cannot be guaranteed to be protected,

Or they will use guestlock and the characters will still be used as buffbots and ringers but they won't get exp for them.

Both of these results are agreeable to me.

The thing is most people already are very careful about who they give their info to, for a variety of reasons already touched in these bad threads (potential faction hits, being left at char select, etc) and if an explock were to go in with guestlock, I'm willing to bet most people are going to feel comfortable to take it off for the xp they get while their friends play them.

What makes it so easy to say, 'well you didn't use guest lock, you're sol about the deleted whatever' as it is right now and not have anyone raise issue with it, is that there is absolutely no reason not to use guestlock. If you put an explock on a guestlocked char, you're suddenly incentivising not using guestlock. Issues will come up with deleted items much more often, and everytime one does you then have to either tell them that they're sol, and get a backlash each time, or take it once again on a case by case basis, which if I understand correctly was the whole thing guestlock was trying to avoid in the first place.

Last edited:
Staff did not reimburse items as a general rule before guestlock. Guestlock was not meant as a means by which players can whore out info without repurcussion, but just a layer of protection that players could look for in case info needed to be shared for a specific reason.

For instance, it could help in such a situation as having another guildie bot you for an evening so you don't cripple your raid when you need to take care of an emergency.

It's also a nice way of protecting those who want to help other guildies by allowing their character to be used as a buffbot.

The limited number of players on this server means that sometimes it's VERY helpful to be able to share information with others, but the longstanding GM policy has been that players are responsible for their own stuff. The guestlock is a great way to allow players a level of protection in these instances.

There's really no reason that players *need to* be able to gain exp when being used as a ringer or toted along for buffs.

Again, pairing explock with guestlock will not prevent your friends from leveling you. But it may limit how many 'friends' have access to your information. And that's OK.

Because we're tired of getting petitions from people who thought it was a good idea to give half the server access to their accounts and woops one of those people was not trustworthy, I'm implementing Guest Lock
Once this is in, after a grace period of two weeks, we will no longer reimburse stolen items ever. We will still ban thieves, but absolutely no reimbursements - if you are dumb enough to give someone access to your characters without guestlocking them, it's your own damn fault.

So, this is what I'm going off of here. Maybe the rationale behind it has changed since then idk.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would do what was done with grupo on their main. Unless this is a sudden plague spreading across sod that I'm not aware of, I think that was a pretty unique circumstance. All I'm saying is, the bulk of the people that use guestlock will stop if it's paired with an explock, and that will just cause more crap that would have to get dealt with.

Last edited:
By disincentivizing guestlock by pairing it with explock, a useful tool to help protect shared accounts (that active players are finally starting to use on a regular basis) would be rendered useless. For the sake of the players, I think not adding a penalty to guestlock that would make it moot would be preferable to keeping active players from sharing their information (somewhat) safely.

Active players would either continue to share their accounts without guestlock or they wouldn't share them at all (since there would be very limited reasons for them to want to share their info with xp taken away.) Thus, this would only penalize active players, the ones most likely to use guestlock. Orphaned bots are generally not guestlocked.

tl;dr: People generally share their toons (with the exception of buffbots) to get quests done and or with the expectation exp. If they couldn't do this with guestlock, they just wouldn't use guestlock.

Last edited:
Uninformed opinions offend the playerbase in general. Defending uninformed opinions stubbornly is not how you play the forum game. This whole thing started because you didn't agree with the Grupo decision, and you're just trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I don't see that my opinion is any more uninformed than anyone else's, but if you replace the word "uninformed" with "differing," then yeah, I can see your point.

This would be stupidly exploitable. It is your responsibility to inform whoever you share with if you're on Dragon/Giant... not that hard. If they screw you, that is unfortunate for you and I'm sure you will want to rethink letting that person use your accounts. This boils down to personal responsibility, but your solution is a nightmare.

Another poster already proposed a solution to this: to boot your character to server select if you attempt to engage a mob that your faction agrees with, just like it does if you try and delete an item from inventory. What do you think of this idea?

Leeching isn't a terrible problem that needs to be solved by making exping a pain in the ass. So I make a macro that pauses and casts a spell ever 10 minutes. Look, I've beaten your "solution" and I only have to push a button once every hour.

You may be right. Do you think that AFK leeching isn't a problem, or that the proposed solution isn't viable? Do you have any better ideas in mind?

Your proposal for limiting IP connections would block most people from using their accounts. That includes you, eqjenius. I myself have logged onto my GM from 3-4 IPs tonight alone. You have no idea what you're talking about.

It's true I don't have a networking certification, although I wonder why GMs administer IP bans if IPs have no reliability of identifying a computer terminal. Can you enlighten?

(edit: more editing: just nevermind. i don't want to help continue this silly thread.)

Last edited:
By disincentivizing guestlock by pairing it with explock, a useful tool to help protect shared accounts (that active players are finally starting to use on a regular basis) would be rendered useless. For the sake of the players, I think not adding a penalty to guestlock that would make it moot would be preferable to keeping active players from sharing their information (somewhat) safely.

Active players would either continue to share their accounts without guestlock or they wouldn't share them at all (since there would be very limited reasons for them to want to share their info with xp taken away.) Thus, this would only penalize active players, the ones most likely to use guestlock. Orphaned bots are generally not guestlocked.

tl;dr: People generally share their toons (with the exception of buffbots) to get quests done and or with the expectation exp. If they couldn't do this with guestlock, they just wouldn't use guestlock.

Your scenario is more likely than the earlier one which proposed that if guest-locked characters were also xp locked, people would simply stop sharing their accounts.

Still, there are plenty of reasons to still use an xp locked character, primarily being that they would enable you to tackle encounters or mobs in the game which you otherwise could not. I imagine friends and guild members would still allow each other to access the unlocked toon, but people you don't know or trust would not be leveling up your character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom