Smoothing Caster DPS

Should we abandon the new resist system?

• Yes, bring back the old all-or-nothing resists.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • No, keep the damage scaling.

Votes: 61 71.8%

• Total voters
This is unnecessarily harsh. He is saying that he is looking at spell damage as a singular event and not a statistical trend. He is not in a place of progression where he has spent entire fights casting lure, or if a mage blowing their mana bar into sequential resists then making a sandwich after their pet dies.

He's claiming that his spells are doing 600 less damage with the new system, but that he didn't get resisted enough in the old system to matter. In order for his spell to do 600 less damage, he would have to be casting on mobs that previously resisted the spells something like 20-30% of the time (can't say for sure since he hasn't supplied other numbers) so he is obviously either greatly exaggerating, incorrect, or found a bug with the new system. I don't think my calling him out on this is harsh when it's being considered valid feedback that could get a great change reverted.

Maybe his primals are doing 600 less dmg.

This change to resists is awesome from my perspective as a mnk/shm. My procs land now which is fun. And so do my dots. Im very glad to not recast dots. Often if first resists i dont recast another dot as its either already heal time or not worth recasting as mob is nearer death.

Last edited:
If a mob would resist your spell 10% of the time, it instead reduces your damage by 10%.

Say your base damage is 1000.

Old system: Cast spell 10 times, do 1000 damage 9 times, and get resisted 1 time.

New system: Cast spell 10 times, do 900 damage 10 times.

Either way you do 9000 damage.

I think some of the perception problems here are related to how long it would take to normalize the damage between systems. With a 10% resist rate, it's entirely possible to see no resists thru 90 casts and then have 10 resists in a row. It could, possibly, take even longer than 100 casts to reach that 10% resist rate. The rate will certainly stay close to 10% across the player base, but not necessarily for an individual player. Your simple math is just too simple.

I think some of the perception problems here are related to how long it would take to normalize the damage between systems. With a 10% resist rate, it's entirely possible to see no resists thru 90 casts and then have 10 resists in a row. It could, possibly, take even longer than 100 casts to reach that 10% resist rate. The rate will certainly stay close to 10% across the player base, but not necessarily for an individual player. Your simple math is just too simple.

The odds of 10 resists in a row with a 10% resist rate are 1 in 10000000000.

Maybe his primals are doing 600 less dmg.

Maybe that 600 less damage is the total less damage over a fight.

Maybe he's using spells that the particular mob he's fighting is resistant against.

Maybe he's depending on luck and burning through his entire mana bar each fight, and now those lucky times he doesn't get resisted and manages a kill aren't happening.

He'd need to elaborate for us to know for sure.

I think this change makes high spell crit more satisfying too, especially if you're an erudite or woodelf(outdoors) because now you never lose some of your innate crit chance to resists.

Another case of things being more predictable compared to the old system.

Skeletons in maps are immune to poison and maybe disease. Spells will land on an immune mob and give the resist message because nothing is happening from it. Have a bard JI the skellies for the resist on disease. Also, plaguewind debuffs disease on landing. Could be either for that one.

Plaguewind won't stack if you have two shaman because of the disease debuff component.

Back
Top Bottom