New spells discussion thread.

Personally I'd rather see Paladins get something like:

-Inquisitor's Wrath: 30 range PBAE 2.0 second stun, 450 mana, instant cast, 48 second recast, unresistable, auto casts:

-Inquisitor's Aegis: Self based increase AC by 220 for 12 seconds, decrease attack speed by 55%, increase aggression modifier by 115%

Basically an unresistable low agro AE, with a hefty recast that also grants the paladin a boon to his tanking, at the cost of his melee DPS.

this would be WAY overpowering pallys. 220 ac bonus? thatd make pallys the leetest tanks especially with /s 4. and unresistable ae stun? sounds like chopping away at sk/pally diversity

this would be WAY overpowering pallys. 220 ac bonus? thatd make pallys the leetest tanks especially with /s 4. and unresistable ae stun? sounds like chopping away at sk/pally diversity
220 Spell AC isn't 220 real AC. Pretty sure spell AC gives 1/3 to the real AC. So 220 would give like...70. Plus there is a recast, so it could never be up 24/7.

I don't think giving pallys a tank type buff is the answer in any form. If SK's are getting a tank type buff and pallys are getting a spell to help with ae agro this seems perfectly fine. I just dont understand how a rain helps much with ae agro, I guess someone just needs to better explain how this spells is going to work, i.e. does it hit the paladin casting it/ how many mobs does it hit? I just don't see how it is a very useful spell at the moment.

so it will provide your group with food and water spam'd into their bags?
or just while you sing it the fact they have 0 in their bags is fix'd by the song
would assume a mana cost (placeholder or not) means its a 1 shot cast which actually summons food. If it just removes the messages and effects of hunger/thirst then it is no better than live and a horrible song

I know the numbers aren't final, but the problem w/ a straight spell rune is that it absorbs all dmg. if a grp takes 4AEs, it needs a grp heal. If the pet runes off 2 and takes 2, the pet is at 70%hp and the grp heal would have topped them off had they taken the AEs. Plus the pets raid wide have to do equal or more dmg than the ranger would have A) had he dpsed through all the times that he casts on a raid and B) the dmg he could have gotten from casting icerend instead.

Point being, it would be stupid to make a 5k spell rune for pets. They would just catch some grp heals and it wouldn't matter. Adding a %chance to avoid the AE while the rune is actually on, would help there to not be a monotonous every 30 sec cat rune. it would require the player to better analyze the situation and say well there are only 2 pets w/o rune, i am better off dpsing. It also helps to make the spell more commonly used instead of if the numbers are too weak a oh shit we are about to wipe how about i try and keep the pets alive for these last 3% ordeal.

Also the percentage to avoid helps the spell to maintain a use as one progresses throughout the tiers and the AEs get so big that the rune is ineffective anyways.

The inevitable effects of this change would allow the spell to be more interactive, but lessrequired to cast and thus reduce the draw from the requirement to dps.

Edit: 1 other consideration that is not listed is the range of the spell. Im assuming the cast is a pbae w/ X range. The range needs to be roughly 225 to make this spell even worth casting in some fights, because if the ranger is using a bow to avoid an AE(one of the main considerations is flame talon wing) running in isnt always the smartest. Thus meaning that a the spell wouldnt be used even though it is THE optimal time to use the spell. (As specific as i can be w/o giving away strats)

Except of course for the simple fact that pets do in fact already take more ae damage for various reasons, including their lower base resists, and various effects like spell ward.

would assume a mana cost (placeholder or not) means its a 1 shot cast which actually summons food. If it just removes the messages and effects of hunger/thirst then it is no better than live and a horrible song

I think if you look at the general power and theme of the other new spells it points towards the song in its entirety being a placeholder.

I have to agree about the pet rune, I tend to be in the caster group with a beastlord/necro/mage and those pets take way more ae damage than players. Usually on ae heavy mobs i dont even bother healing the pets because unlike players it has a lot less life and gets hit by nearly every ae.

Pets in my experience tend to die to ae mobs almost 3 times as fast as a player who has 400+ resist (with pot4) and effects like spell ward which should be anyone doing t7+ content.

Granted at lower tiers a pet rune is practically useless but when you get to the later teirs pets tend to die to ae quite a bit so it does have its uses.

Also its not like it has to be cast in battle, a good ranger would cast the spell before engage on the pets. Really the only time that pets are absolutely crucial dps is on boss fights anyways. I am guessing this is the replacement for the pets avoid 50% of ae spells that was originally slated for rangers.

Believe it or not, pets actually put out a substantial amount of dps.

Necromancer
-Channel Essence: Target based transfer spell, gives 350 HP and 20 mana per tick to a friendly target, drains 350 HP per tick, 500 range (lol), 200 mana cost, 2 second cast
-Runic: Hierophants's Breath: 60 range PBAE 500 DD, 310 damage/tick dot for 1 minute, 905 mana, 5.6 second cast
-Artifact: Pox of the Razad: Single target DoT, 500 base damage, 900 damage per tick, -40 cha, 1300 mana cost, 6.5 second cast, -50 DR check, requires 2 reagents

The first two spells I am opposed to.

I know I would never use channel essence, since I haven't touched my hp transfer line since turning 65. Transfer spells are terrible for Necro's, and when you are fighting mobs that you need to cast this on the tank because the healer can't keep up, then you need a better tank or another healer. Necro's already are great utility, no need to make them "Gimp" healers.

Next, a PBAoE DoT? By the time the player even gets this spell, they arn't likely going to be using this spell, for various reasons, mainly because they are getting pulled singles, or they have mezzed mobs in camp. This runs into the same problem as our leechstorm AA, in that it quickly looses usefulness as you progress through raid tiers. At least with Leechstorm, if you broke mez, you could just re-mez the ones you broke, but with this spell, being a DoT, that means they will be awake the entire fight.

Throw in something more useful like say an Undead DoT line, or 1500dd Lifetap (since our lifetaps stopped at 60).

The first two spells I am opposed to.

stuff

so pbae dot would be amazing for any higher end grp. I know in most grps i make i hate CC for the shear fact that i would rather and my 70pt DS go off and kill stuff faster since healers are always high on mana.

as per the transfer you can act more like a mana battery which can also be helpful

Well honestly I can think of many occasions that an ae dot would be useful. I can think of a ton of encounters where you get 3 unmezzable mobs on you at once.

Also you dont know how they are going to design the iskith encounters. They could be intending to make encounters where you have many weak mobs that need a paladin tank in which the large amount of ae abilities we are seeing on the list make sense.

Most mobs are immune to stun, or they mitigate it to the point where the stun factor is useless. My idea was to give Paladins an initial 'oh shit get agro now' button with a little tanking boon. Could always make the AE pure +hate and give it a larger recast.

great...now as an enchanter I have another god damned giantkin type spell to spam....

It better be greater than 1% crit or no one will ever cast it. And +cha on it? Who actually needs the +cha after we can already buff cha, and so can shamans.... How about +2% crit chance, and add a concussion type proc to it?

The group rune sounds like a great idea, too bad its a melee dmg rune and not a spell rune ! that would be nice- I can see this rune completely devouring my entire mana pool and gather mana'd pool on phantom striking mobs.

As for the super curse- sounds decent, but its just another slot thats going to be unused for 80% of the raid. Hppefully the recast isnt dreadfully long, and I'm hoping it does not share a cooldown timer with the other curse spells.

as per the transfer you can act more like a mana battery which can also be helpful
not to be a naysayer, but I'm also kinda against these spells as a general rule. Necros being turned into mana batteries instead of doing DPS is a really slippery slope.

no class enjoys having their dps role being replaced by becoming a battery.

Most mobs are immune to stun, or they mitigate it to the point where the stun factor is useless. My idea was to give Paladins an initial 'oh shit get agro now' button with a little tanking boon. Could always make the AE pure +hate and give it a larger recast.

i know most mobs are immune to the stun portion of stun spells, but it still draws agro despite this and not shitty agro like when spells get resisted. what im saying is that unresistable agro has always been a SK niche, something that made them exceptional ST tanks. im all for beefing up paladins as i play one:) but this would be just too much. the unresitable component is the reason the HoT agro was nerfed. no resist check, multiple mob agro. another AE blind spell with a slightly longer duration (like 12-15 secs) would be best imo.

Yeah the other parser shows it as +65% spell damage, pretty silly really.

i know most mobs are immune to the stun portion of stun spells, but it still draws agro despite this and not shitty agro like when spells get resisted. what im saying is that unresistable agro has always been a SK niche, something that made them exceptional ST tanks. im all for beefing up paladins as i play one:) but this would be just too much. the unresitable component is the reason the HoT agro was nerfed. no resist check, multiple mob agro. another AE blind spell with a slightly longer duration (like 12-15 secs) would be best imo.

That was actually the point of it. HoTs were not meant to be agro generators, and they also had unlimited targets and healed to boot, so this isn't even close to them. I figured giving them a runic, or at least hard to get, unresistable low agro spell wouldn't be too overpowering.

what do you mean by low agro? the current wave of light spell holds agro for like 1.5-2 big heals. depends on mob somehow too i guess, cause usually it sticks and holds for 2big heals in hhk normal mobs, but just last night i got agro after 2nd heal on some basement mobs. anything less agro wise would just be a waste of a spell slot imo

Should I assume that the runic and artifact spells will be not available to us non raiders like the relic and archiac?

Necromancer
-Channel Essence: Target based transfer spell, gives 350 HP and 20 mana per tick to a friendly target, drains 350 HP per tick, 500 range (lol), 200 mana cost, 2 second cast

I can see where this could come in handy for several scenarios.

-Runic: Hierophants's Breath: 60 range PBAE 500 DD, 310 damage/tick dot for 1 minute, 905 mana, 5.6 second cast

Yes. In case you don't understand, I will explain. Yes.

-Artifact: Pox of the Razad: Single target DoT, 500 base damage, 900 damage per tick, -40 cha, 1300 mana cost, 6.5 second cast, -50 DR check, requires 2 reagents

Always good for the necromancer to have different options to fit different circumstances.

*Note - The above comments made regardless of the numbers.

Last edited:
Druid
-Dominate Animal: Animal based 5 second stun, decrease attack by 50, 25% slow, lower all resists by 25, lower current hate by 200 for one minute. 5 second cast, 450 mana, -10 MR check.
-Runic: Overwhelming Empathy: Single Target heal for 4300 base, 780 mana cost, 3.75 second cast time
-Runic: Cascading Vim: 100 range group heal for 1780 base, plus leaves a 500/tick HoT lasts 12 seconds, 1010 mana cost, 4.12 second cast time
-Artifact: Warp Nature: Target based 1225 DD, 400/tick DoT and 2% slow for 18 seconds, 880 mana cost, 8 second cast, -70 MR check, requires a reagent.

Question about Dominate Animal, how will the resist mod/atk mod stack?

Regardless, Im not fond of the look of this spell, unless there are going to be a LOT of animal based raids/group zones. Id much rather see a sort of upgrade to the Mask line, to benefit the druid as a healer, something along the lines of this..

Mask of the Benevolent - Infravision, Increase healing by x% (5? 10?), Decrease cast time on spells over 5 seconds by x (1 second? 2 seconds? A percentage?) Decrease offensive spell damage by x% (large percent, dunno what exactly. Make it a big tradeoff to use the spell). 50% Melee slow. Throw in some other added benefit that ISNT spell FT, maybe some small amounts of saves, maybe. Make the spell a DEBUFF with no counters, that lasts say, 15 minutes, to prevent clicking it to nuke, and recasting it.

The offense decreasing portions are clearly there to offset the fact that this would have a huge effect on druid nukes and dots. For the most part, druids spend their time healing, and could use something to boost their group heals.

Back
Top Bottom