Codex of Power Revamp

We will likely make them droppable after we pull the merchant that sells them, and possibly add some extra cost value to them. That way they can simply be sold back to a merchant.

Just pointing out that CoP's for plat was brought up by staff AND it would be plat given back to only some not all (based off of the post) . IF anyone gets plat back all should.... Not sure how that's such a hard concept for some to wrap their heads around.

"I would like input from staff IF there will be a positive gain from vendored CoP's then I will create alts to buy CoP's now to finish off the charm."

Are you really asking if you can exploit the CoP change for profit?

hey why not IMO buying an item off of a vendor then reselling it back to the vendor for profit was always counted as an exploit. Plus IF this change went in how many people would load up dead toons to check for unfinished CoP's?

Extra cost value does not mean make them sell more than you purchase them for.

In EQ, the amount of money you get from selling something is not the same as the price you can buy it off a merchant. Changing the cost value would make them sell for nearer to what was originally paid.

And we made no promises if we would even go that far after the patch.

Is that what was confusing you? Otherwise I am unsure what you are talking about regarding buying a bunch of COPs on alts for money.

Option 1 (old person) - I have 5 CoP filled on Slaariel that is 550AA worth of exp. Change goes through. I now have 550AA to use to fill up other tomes. Because I have over whatever the baseline ends up being for CoP bonus, my CoP bonus to damage and healing remains the same. I simply have more tomes filled now than I did before.

Hope I dont come across as rude, because that is not my intent, just want to make a point.
Speaking for people who have older characters. That is assuming you have something to put the XP into, but even if you do, I think it is fair to guess that it is possible you still may have wasted alot of time doing the CoPs. I think it is safe to assume if you have 40 , 50 ,60 tomes not including the CoP's you will be at the max bonus with this new system (guessing), that is again not including the CoP. So, had you not even done the CoP's you would get the bonus. Now, if you did do them (CoPs) and have the same amount of tomes as the previous example, you are essentially trading the time you put into the CoP's for tomes that basically do nothing for your class and otherwise you would not likely do and that is if you have any tomes left to do at all. (also assuming you can afford to buy these very specific tomes once everyone has all this xp to spend, Whats going to be the go price for crit evo II? hehe) Trade CoP xp for the last tomes you have not done (for good reason) and now you have nothing left to do Xp wise. Kind of a Coupe de Grace on the older players, especially ones that dont/cant raid opus zones.. with this change I highly recommend allowing people access to Opus's and class tomes, (Edit) not all these new tomes be it emberflow/windstone/opus's or freshly made ones will likely be attainable by just anybody. A good portion of what is considered a xp tome for a normal person is the ability to get one.

Yale

Last edited:
Your out the time you put into finishing them, because even without them odds are you will have enough invested in regular tomes / class tomes to get the full bonuses and for some people that CoP time was significant.

Yale

So you're saying you wish you had spent all the time between when you finished them, and when this goes live, minus 20% to everything? What he's (he being Banj awhile back) saying is all that time you spent 20% more powerful until now is what that time was for. and I'll restate as a couple people have pointed out since, that you'll still have all that xp banked for when new stuff somes out.

The ONLY bummer situation I see is the folks that have like 5 CoPs done and nothing or not much else done, no or very little tomes banked, and no or very little money to spend on new tomes (or I guess that do have money, but it's already banked towards a charm they're close to getting). They already earned that 20% bonus (or even those that aren't done yet), but for at least awhile, they're gonna be less powerful than they were pre-patch until they manage to get enough new tomes to spend that banked xp and re-obtain that 20%. And that's only a temporary bummer, so I honestly don't see a big deal there either.

edit: Now I do agree on the worry that this change basically finishes off some of the characters at the end of tome progression. (my monk being one of them, but I'm just gonna xp on other characters I guess, heh)

Extra cost value does not mean make them sell more than you purchase them for.

In EQ, the amount of money you get from selling something is not the same as the price you can buy it off a merchant. Changing the cost value would make them sell for nearer to what was originally paid.

And we made no promises if we would even go that far after the patch.

Is that what was confusing you? Otherwise I am unsure what you are talking about regarding buying a bunch of COPs on alts for money.

thank you for clearing up that part. The way it was worded came off as if there would be a profit, as is though to get any plat off of CoP's should be everyone who has ever bought one or no one. TBH it should be no one like i said earlier how many people are gonna load up dead toons to vendor unfinished CoP's.

with this change I highly recommend allowing people access to Opus's and class tomes, (Edit) not all these new tomes be it emberflow/windstone/opus's or freshly made ones will likely be attainable by just anybody. A good portion of what is considered a xp tome for a normal person is the ability to get one.

Yale

Woe is the plight of you, the veteran player, who does not immediately benefit from a new change that in no way detriments you and only benefits you in the long term. We are all truly very sorry for you and feel as though you have been wronged by this.

Woe is the plight of you, the veteran player, who does not immediately benefit from a new change that in no way detriments you and only benefits you in the long term. We are all truly very sorry for you and feel as though you have been wronged by this.

Why did you link what I said and refute NOTHING. Learn how to talk/ debate rather than throw out "straw man" arguments mixed with insults.

As the "straw man" metaphor suggests, the counterfeit position attacked in a Straw Man argument is typically weaker than the opponent's actual position, just as a straw man is easier to defeat than a flesh-and-blood one. Of course, this is no accident, but is part of what makes the fallacy tempting to commit, especially to a desperate debater who is losing an argument.

So your argument that, 'I have completed CoPs and all attainable tomes and deserve to be given my Opuses without having to raid for them' is one which holds more merit than mine stating that you're coming off as entitled? Hmm....

Anyway I don't care to turn this thread into a shitstorm. I'm really impressed with Slaariel and Woldaff's work and would love to see more people coming in here giving this positive attention and be fucking thankful that with this change, no players are having anything taken from them and instead gifted experience.

In response to below - Ignoring the ad-hominem (that one's for you, since you're so keen on the intelligence insulting); I've taken symbolic logic, rhetoric and deductive reasoning courses as well as completed upper division science courses as well as assisted in the publication of scientific literature where arguments must be critiqued and refuted in peer review. That aside, all I can really say is how truly amused I am that you are being so, so defensive and upset that someone is taking away your juice-box and replacing it with one of a different flavor.

Last edited:
So your argument that, 'I have completed CoPs and all attainable tomes and deserve to be given my Opuses without having to raid for them' is one which holds more merit than mine stating that you're coming off as entitled? Hmm....

Anyway I don't care to turn this thread into a shitstorm.

Again straw man, learn how to argue or Stfu. With the number of players getting into the same position and considering many of them DONATE to keep this game going (saying thanks doesn't keep the server going btw) It really needs to be considered, especially with these type of changes.

You wanted to turn this thread into a shit storm the second you opened your mouth. <insetr trash talk> ohh and btw I dont want to turn this into a shit storm.......... Really?

Yale

all the people on these threads that argue "hey I had to raid for them so should everyone else" when bringing up opus's and class 3/4 tomes and saying things like "all you babies and entitlements" their going to have a fit when new AA's get added and tomes probably get converted to AA (which means open to who ever). btw that has fairly decent odds pretty much all the posts I've seen from staff is that they hate tomes.

Alot of older ppl tend to forget we had the golden era when cop gave 25% bonus instead of 20% . Ikisith 2.0 will release new types of tomes both for new opuses and for casual player. Also alot of class tomes still have third version (even for ranger) that they havent implanted as a expable tome yet.

Hope I dont come across as rude, because that is not my intent, just want to make a point.
Speaking for people who have older characters. That is assuming you have something to put the XP into, but even if you do, I think it is fair to guess that it is possible you still may have wasted alot of time doing the CoPs. I think it is safe to assume if you have 40 , 50 ,60 tomes not including the CoP's you will be at the max bonus with this new system (guessing), that is again not including the CoP. So, had you not even done the CoP's you would get the bonus. Now, if you did do them (CoPs) and have the same amount of tomes as the previous example, you are essentially trading the time you put into the CoP's for tomes that basically do nothing for your class and otherwise you would not likely do and that is if you have any tomes left to do at all. (also assuming you can afford to buy these very specific tomes once everyone has all this xp to spend, Whats going to be the go price for crit evo II? hehe) Trade CoP xp for the last tomes you have not done (for good reason) and now you have nothing left to do Xp wise. Kind of a Coupe de Grace on the older players, especially ones that dont/cant raid opus zones.. with this change I highly recommend allowing people access to Opus's and class tomes, (Edit) not all these new tomes be it emberflow/windstone/opus's or freshly made ones will likely be attainable by just anybody. A good portion of what is considered a xp tome for a normal person is the ability to get one.

Yale
When CoPs get removed and you allready have all tomes filled, the ONLY thing you loose is 5 tomes listed on your fomelo. The power and capabilitys of your toon change by exactly 0%. In fact, you are even getting a headstart for any things in the future that might need xp put into em. Your precieved loss of time spent doing CoP is just that precieved, and wrongly at that.

Going by your logic, you should have no reason to play any more if you have no tomes to fill, yet still that happens. If you do have tomes to fill left, rejoyce, because now you have lots of XP to reassign to them.

The idea of allowing people access to Opus/Class3/4 is iffy, because where would you draw the line? Anyone? Anyone who has CoP completed? Anyone who has 20 tomes done? 50? 100?

Alot of older ppl tend to forget we had the golden era when cop gave 25% bonus instead of 20% . Ikisith 2.0 will release new types of tomes both for new opuses and for casual player. Also alot of class tomes still have third version (even for ranger) that they havent implanted as a expable tome yet.

for all we know 2.0 is delayed or not worked on because 2.5 changes everything. Tomes were a necessary evil because the old client could not handle new AA and then something that should have been AA and just open became a raid reward. Every time this has been brought up all the players that rage against the idea of raid tomes being opened up to casual seem to side step or ignore it.

The SOD staff are making a change that will benefit the majority of the player base. They cannot appease every single person. We need to accept this and move on.

When CoPs get removed and you allready have all tomes filled, the ONLY thing you loose is 5 tomes listed on your fomelo. The power and capabilitys of your toon change by exactly 0%. In fact, you are even getting a headstart for any things in the future that might need xp put into em. Your precieved loss of time spent doing CoP is just that precieved, and wrongly at that.

That there are even two sides to this issue when its such a boon to players is pretty mind-boggling. The CoP being spread across the other tomes is great for players - it essentially eliminates a 550aa grind that you "have to" do before you can start the specialty tomes.

Another thing about this that boggles the mind is that I agree with the Flugabwehrkanone on this one.

kRss9hS.gif

for all we know 2.0 is delayed or not worked on because 2.5 changes everything. Tomes were a necessary evil because the old client could not handle new AA and then something that should have been AA and just open became a raid reward. Every time this has been brought up all the players that rage against the idea of raid tomes being opened up to casual seem to side step or ignore it.

This is a minor derail, but just because AA MAY go in does not mean they are open to everyone. They can be restricted by all sorts of things including kill flags. Live does this too. Just because you see them in the window doesn't mean you get to put points into them.

When CoPs get removed and you allready have all tomes filled, the ONLY thing you loose is 5 tomes listed on your fomelo. The power and capabilitys of your toon change by exactly 0%.

I know my characters bonus's do not change. But I am loosing something..Time invested into doing them. Had I just done my regular / class tome I would likely be at the full bonus anyway. Even assuming I have a few tomes I have not done (and for good reason) I would have never signed up to kiting orcs at the orc fort to get life tap mastery 2, which is what people like "me" will have their CoP time investment turn into.

In fact, you are even getting a headstart for any things in the future that might need xp put into em. Your precieved loss of time spent doing CoP is just that precieved, and wrongly at that.

Problem 1 Well if.... - You are basing your counter argument to my "loss of time" on something that is an assumption or possibility, not something that is. I have had the "third ranger tome" in my bank for YEARS, I have no reason to believe it will be finished...... or even if more tomes are made there is no guarantee that they will be attainable by normal people.

Problem 2 Didn't I already pay for that? - The CoP's were paid for, activated and directly effected my character. Giving someone 550 aa xp gives them back only a portion of what they lost. Lets assume that the third ranger tome is finished and the CoP's removed. I don't just walk to the bank and get my tome done, I have to have the tome and good luck getting it when everyone and their dog has the same situation. If I turn in tomes for it, then your stuck paying alot of money. So basically what I am saying is that you have to pay to spend the xp you already paid for and did and got alot more out of it.

Problem 3 Assumption of players being a permanent fixture- What about people who stop playing before "new tomes come out"? Store credit in an empty store means wasted time.

Going by your logic, you should have no reason to play any more if you have no tomes to fill, yet still that happens. If you do have tomes to fill left, rejoyce, because now you have lots of XP to reassign to them.

I have very few left to do and this would be the Coupe de Grace. Making Opus's and Class tome's available to everyone would extend the life of the game for people in the same situation by years

The idea of allowing people access to Opus/Class3/4 is iffy, because where would you draw the line? Anyone? Anyone who has CoP completed? Anyone who has 20 tomes done? 50? 100?

There is no good reason they cannot be accessible by everyone. (not to nwaij) and dont say because its raid loot, that is circular logic

I hope I don't come across as being resistant to change, that is not the case. I just dont think this is a good idea without making Opus / class tome available to everyone, we should do what we can to retain players

Yale

Last edited:
I w

ould open it up for anyone that has completed the cop's give them the option of either the exp component of the cop reimbursement or the ability to pick out 2-3 tomes be that opus/class books as thier reimbursement.

I w

ould open it up for anyone that has completed the cop's give them the option of either the exp component of the cop reimbursement or the ability to pick out 2-3 tomes be that opus/class books as thier reimbursement.

I think this is a good idea

Back
Top Bottom