What's Cole Working on [as of 2020-3-5]

skaoli got this fixed by fuwok should work now, i think.
Eh wont help much.

That person was working on it about a year ago roughly and after 30~ hours figuring out the quest up to the yellow con, killing the yellow con multiple times and getting nothing they said screw it until theres a walk through and they know its working because they didn't/don't want to in their words "waste more time on it".

Unless theres anyone else I'm possibly the only person to do anything there in months.

Last edited:
Eh wont help much.

How won't this help much? The quest is fixed, and you have absolutely no hindsight on what can be worked on in this game and what cannot be worked on in this game. It's actually incredible how you've spent this long on these forums and still remain entirely negative and ignorant to almost anyone who tries to help you or agree with you, when it's all you ever ask for.

Braas, Marthog, Haenir, and myself are the only who have fully completed the quest to my knowledge. Ekyu and Relvos were among the few who did the quest a while ago but were stuck at the broken part with the gizmo and the activated named mob.
Fuwok did help me out with a lot of this, and should be completely working. I did think it was a bit over-tuned when I was completing it. Sure a lot of it is soloable, but some of the mobs in there truck, especially the named.
Having a tradeskill require a T13 warrior and cleric duo to barely scrape by on the final fights is pretty OP, and similar to Marthog - I don't think Scrap Heap should be obsolete and recommend following his thoughts as far as keeping the current quest line in tact.

At first I found myself pretty frustrated doing the quest from scratch with limited resources for help on it, but I had to admit after completing it that complex quests that actually make you think are pretty fun looking back on them.

For those interested with the current quest, I've started an introductory walkthrough on the wiki a long time ago. I've purposely left parts out because it'd simply ruin the complexity of the quest, so please try to maintain this if anyone's looking to finish it.
And for people who are stuck on parts that aren't included or need help killing something, PM me on Discord and I'd be happy to help if I have time.

https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Go_Ask_Alice

Last edited:
How won't this help much? The quest is fixed, and you have absolutely no hindsight on what can be worked on in this game and what cannot be worked on in this game. It's actually incredible how you've spent this long on these forums and still remain entirely negative and ignorant to almost anyone who tries to help you or agree with you, when it's all you ever ask for.

Braas, Marthog, Haenir, and myself are the only who have fully completed the quest to my knowledge. Ekyu and Relvos were among the few who did the quest a while ago but were stuck at the broken part with the gizmo and the activated named mob.
Fuwok did help me out with a lot of this, and should be completely working. I did think it was a bit over-tuned when I was completing it. Sure a lot of it is soloable, but some of the mobs in there truck, especially the named.
Having a tradeskill require a T13 warrior and cleric duo to barely scrape by on the final fights is pretty OP, and similar to Marthog - I don't think Scrap Heap should be obsolete and recommend following his thoughts as far as keeping the current quest line in tact.

At first I found myself pretty frustrated doing the quest from scratch with limited resources for help on it, but I had to admit after completing it that complex quests that actually make you think are pretty fun looking back on them.

For those interested with the current quest, I've started an introductory walkthrough on the wiki a long time ago. I've purposely left parts out because it'd simply ruin the complexity of the quest, so please try to maintain this if anyone's looking to finish it.
And for people who are stuck on parts that aren't included or need help killing something, PM me on Discord and I'd be happy to help if I have time.

https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Go_Ask_Alice
Why you over react I have no idea, maybe you should re-read the part that it wasnt me that got stuck on that part and wont go back until a full walk through...... I havent progressed further because its tuned beyond a ranger/druid duo and theres no reason for anyone else to go. I personally am at the yellow con (got past the 5x5 game with 2 sets of lights bugged and had to do the puzzle on the 3rd so 3 layered at once).

Emzur/skaoli maybe you need to step back because you seem to feel the need to personally attack me in just about every post you reply to, and at this point its coming off as you look for any reason even if you have to manufacture it. I can't force them to go back to that zone and work on it more, I already relayed the info more than a day ago and they seemed disinterested.

As far as changing content its been a long running thing to the best of most peoples knowledge that one dev cant change anothers content without permision hence the word probably in there.

If you had actually read posts though its the dev who suggested the possibility of a more accessible path in the new zone, instead of re-tuning scrapheap. So you're in reality arguing with cole on that one, and Im sure they've probably already looked into that.

Im pretty positive looking forward to what Dev-Cole is trying to do, maybe you need to focus on progress and less on being angry.

Last edited:
My entire response wasn't directed at you, but I believe most is over your head.

I wasn't arguing with Dev-Cole considering I've been one of the few people giving quite a bit of feedback on this specific topic with the generous help of another Tinkerer.
I regrettably haven't been able to contribute as much as I'd like since I've taken quite a burn out on Shards lately and I don't really enjoy forcing interest into a game.
I believe Rymy, Cole and Grinkles are grinding out some great work and commend them on that.

My offer to help with Scrap Heap extends to even you, because I don't dislike people specifically I just tend to disagree with constant negativity on the forums and such.
I see a lot from you, which is why it may seem like I'm "personally attacking" you.

Let me know if you'd like some help.

My entire response wasn't directed at you, but I believe most is over your head.

I wasn't arguing with Dev-Cole considering I've been one of the few people giving quite a bit of feedback on this specific topic with the generous help of another Tinkerer.
I regrettably haven't been able to contribute as much as I'd like since I've taken quite a burn out on Shards lately and I don't really enjoy forcing interest into a game.
I believe Rymy, Cole and Grinkles are grinding out some great work and commend them on that.

My offer to help with Scrap Heap extends to even you, because I don't dislike people specifically I just tend to disagree with constant negativity on the forums and such.
I see a lot from you, which is why it may seem like I'm "personally attacking" you.

Let me know if you'd like some help.
I haven't been "constantly negative" (I've used neutral to positive language on this thread despite yourself and another's angry personal attacks). Granted I stopped trolling you a long time ago (months really) because it was too easy, but for real honest feed back even if it isn't positive is good, look at my language used in reality it's "neutral" I just point out things that are not good, I mean I guess I can sugar coat everything if that's what you need to not spazz out but that feels pointless.

"but I believe most is over your head." see there goes those personal attacks again(you often use ad hominems), someone disagreeing with you apparently means they just don't get it but you have a bit of an elitist attitude. You claim I don't comprehend things after attacking me over another player not wanting to go back, because you didn't fully read my post or those that lead to it, assumed it was me and lashed out. I comprehend quite well but I feel you may have some anger issues and Ill try and be more sensitive to those in the future.

I gave some feedback early on in this post that a fair number of people seemed to agree with at least partially and Dev-Cole has at the very least taken into consideration. I'm looking forward to their content and fairly happy with their feedback. Again lets focus on positive progress, I am.

Last edited:
I was another that stopped at the yellow con gizmo emote because I couldn't get it to work. never knew it had been fixed because I don't think there were any patch notes about it. for all I knew I was after the wrong mob.Not sure if I will finish it though.

The mob existed and had 2-3 spawn locations. Only issue was it wasn't detecting the gizmo and activating its "hardmode."
It was sort of a hotfix since I personally asked an active dev to fix it while I was working on the quest. There was some chatter about it, but you're right it wasn't mentioned in patch notes.

Whether or not this is still working is unconfirmed, but most likely should be.
Again, if anyone needs help with this, or any, part of the tinkering quest let me know and I can help.

Good to hear, as this was the main issue keeping people from progressing this quest. I understand other parts may still be buggy, particularly the wisp riddle overlaying on top of each other but is at least able to be passed. Iirc the wisps fade after so long.

Shoot me a PM on here or Discord if you can't get people to go help with the named.

Good to hear, as this was the main issue keeping people from progressing this quest. I understand other parts may still be buggy, particularly the wisp riddle overlaying on top of each other but is at least able to be passed. Iirc the wisps fade after so long.

Shoot me a PM on here or Discord if you can't get people to go help with the named.
Can confirm buggy wisps, they didnt depop after 8 hours~ if anyone needs help I can if Im on and free.

I did mine with a total of 3 sets (finishing the sequence to start it bugged it out and 2 sets spawned) screwed it up, came back a few hours later. My solution was I made a 5x5 grid and mapped the bugged ones and noted what the finale result should look like. Then just went through using the "light chase" method.

Ive had it bug finishing the number sequence that starts the mini game and you can bug it by completeing the sequence while a set of lights are still up.

The bugged set doesnt respond to hails and doesnt despawn.

Hello again.

I'll break my productivity into the following categories:

Conceptualization
Coding
Population
Itemization

My progress in these areas are the following.

I would say about 75% of the core concept for the zone is complete. This includes core plot, main and auxiliary questing ideas, and area/mob design. The zone is broken into two main parts conceptually. One, a new player entering Ikisith, progressing through this zone until given access to an area; and two, a later tiered player returning to progress plot. I have some vague ideas for the latter, which will solidify as I near them.

I would say i'm about 25% done with coding. This may not seem like a lot, but I was only able to start testing scripts in-zone last week. I have also been able to reuse several scripts previously written by Fuwok/Slaariel for this zone.

Populating would be designing and adding mobs without scripts to the zone, for which we can refer to the following image. Black areas are mostly populated with complete scripts. Red areas require population and will contain concentrated amounts of scripting, but the design is mostly complete. The remaining areas have been designed, but may or may not involve much scripting. As a gauge, there are currently 365 mobs in the Lake of Ill Omen, 572 in Forest of the Fallen, 873 in Tears of Elael, 506 in Dreadlands, 919 in Murk (wow), and 507 in Prophets.

N33hp6s.png

As far as itemization for the zone, I have implemented some and reused a few others, but I've decided to save this as a last step in development.

Thanks again. Feel free to ask any questions.

I know you're busy with bigger picture things, but I was scrolling through old posts (trying to find the map pack for those 2 new guys in Discord) and came across an old thread about filters.

Have you looked at why filters require you to reset them every time you zone? Read: upon zoning, choose 1 filter, turn on then off again, and all your filters work. Rinse/repeat every zone. Additionally, any action by pets are put under "other hits/miss/spells" instead of self. So if you remove the spam from other players, you now can't see what your pet is doing.

Filters would not be part of Lake of Ill Omen. Although, I can bring it up in discussions.

Update.

Took some time off.
Helped Rymy with some class balance.
Back to work again.

Mobs in zone increased from 365 to 421.
Bytes of code: 72,577 bytes (New metric for updates)

Mostly Completed the southern Orange Box

mgx1BGG.gif

Everyone, enjoy your holidays.

Hello.

It has been a bit of time since my last update, but that is not bad thing. I took a week off for some personal work and another for the holidays. Up to this point I had been spending, at times, upwards of 40 hours in a week coding and developing; a good break was needed.

There are three areas I have been involved with: Knight Rework, Lake of Ill Omen, and my own Raid encounters.

Knight Rework:
The only thing I can do is gather data and make suggestions. I may share more of my thoughts on this in the knight thread later.

Lake of Ill Omen:
I am at a half way point, that being a major quest hub. I may not enjoy creating lore as much as strictly coding, but I want this to be excellent for those whom enjoy this aspect of Shards. I have written a rough draft of the final half of the zones plot, this was a major hurdle. I have also spent a good deal of time reading existent quest dialogue/lore books to build my plot onto. I think everyone will enjoy it.

Mobs in zone increased from 421 to 449.
Bytes of code increased from 72,577 to 103,277.

Raid Encounters:
These were my initial Dev application. At one point we thought they might be released with LOIO, but they were never part of LOIO. As of today, two of the three are ready for Taryth to review, hopefully with a release next patch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom