What should be done for L65 Mage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is purely in the brainstorming phase. Me and Xardon have different thoughts on it, and what I'm about to describe is what I think. But I like to pursue interesting things and this qualifies. What we are thinking, and there is ***NO GUARANTEE THIS IS POSSIBLE OR WILL EVER MAKE IT OUT OF CRASHVILLE/TEST*** is a separate line of spells for a monster summon that is based around the stamina stat rather than a timer or it's life bar. The recast would be low, and the pet would be very something akin to invul, but low aggro to avoid it being able to tank in solo situations.

While the pet was alive it would drain stamina. You could get more of the pet, but it would drain stamina faster, and non linearly, IE 1 pet over the course of your full stamina bar would be better damage than 3 pets, but the 3 pets would do less damage quicker.

I'd also obviously be looking into ways to make swarm pets NOT be so accidentally targetable. Side note those tomes that were recently released work on monster summon and swarm pets. And don't underestimate how cheap they really are AA-wise. I gotta get the Murk vendor up, but they are NOT the massive investments you are used to in tomes.

EDIT: Also this has little do with the rest of the thread or any pet survivability improvements. Consider it like the veil of marlow, a new tool whose true effects I can only assume.

When Don asked me about my opinion I was very much against it because I read things wrong and thought he wanted our beloved real pet replaced by some monstrosities with random abilities.

I'm not a big fan of stamina draining swarmpets, but if they aren't replacing the old swarm pets, that's fine. I actually use those to offtank stuff when in crisis.

Would stamina calculation formula be changed to include caster stats (if it doesn't yet)?
Could you destroy those swarm pets if you don't want to get exhausted?
Is it planned to also implement a mod rod that replenishes stamina instead of mana?
How much do people even use the gruplok atunning rod?

What is the primary purpose of this change? More utility, fun or dps?

I still think it's weird to give only one caster a stamina draining ability, does this mean other classes could also get different stamina based spells in the future?

imo major problem with mages for exp is that most people dont realise how awesome they are, and thus mages have bigger problems getting groups than rogues, wizards or monks.

For both raids and groups tanks dont often cater to the mages needs of two mobs to rain on, this is especially so when two mobs or more are tanked by separate tanks on raids.. they are usually spread out too much for rains just to avoid people sucking as assisting on wrong mob or due to tanks being lazy.

If either the relic or archaic rain was changed into a singletarget dot, but with the difference that when the mage has the dot running on two mobs, it does double dmg (on both mobs), on three mobs triple dmg and so on... (the potential unlimited dmg would be limited by casttime and dotticks) this situation would be solved and people might start to realize the awesomeness of mages. That would allow the mage to use one rain as a dot when he isnt allowed to wake mezed mobs or rain for other reasons and would allow him to do more dmg on multiples even if tanks have them spread out. Assuming ticks and basedmg was kept as is, this would increase mages manause but open up some interesting possibilities.

Anyways that excluded, all petclasses have the issue with pets dying, new tomes should help some in that regard.

turning rains into 3 tic dots would be an awesome thing. plus allows for some use of the dot focus effects rotting on some mage useable gear.

I would much rather worry about more focus effects than dodging my own spells.

If either the relic or archaic rain was changed into a singletarget dot, but with the difference that when the mage has the dot running on two mobs, it does double dmg (on both mobs), on three mobs triple dmg and so on... (the potential unlimited dmg would be limited by casttime and dotticks) this situation would be solved and people might start to realize the awesomeness of mages. That would allow the mage to use one rain as a dot when he isnt allowed to wake mezed mobs or rain for other reasons and would allow him to do more dmg on multiples even if tanks have them spread out. Assuming ticks and basedmg was kept as is, this would increase mages manause but open up some interesting possibilities.

In order for this idea to not allow mages to do crazy high DPS, the damage when only 1 target has a rain-dot running would have to be really low, which would probably mean you wouldn't cast them in single target situations.

You could tweak the bonus a bit I suppose. Have one rain do X dps on a single target, and then 1.25x when you have it running on 2 things at once, 1.5 for 3, etc. This would still probably mean you wouldn't want to rain 1 target since the DPS would be lower than it is now.

Personally I'm not a fan of the dot idea replacing rains.

Replacing dd's however, or making them valuable in some way would be a good idea.

I'd also obviously be looking into ways to make swarm pets NOT be so accidentally targetable. Side note those tomes that were recently released work on monster summon and swarm pets. And don't underestimate how cheap they really are AA-wise. I gotta get the Murk vendor up, but they are NOT the massive investments you are used to in tomes.

EDIT: Also this has little do with the rest of the thread or any pet survivability improvements. Consider it like the veil of marlow, a new tool whose true effects I can only assume.

They are pretty quick. Side question. Do tomes of power and other things affect monster summons as well, and do various other tomes I complete also affect my pet (for example if I did a regular old striking tome, or a dodge one), similar to how lightning reflexes is already shared with it?

Last edited:
Fairly certain other tomes only affect your primary pet, and that melee tomes do NOT affect pets like AA's do for mages. I will verify this though.

I think people wholly underestimate the utility of mod rods, elemental barrier and occasionally their relic DS.

Makes are the highest DPS on dual mob situations and beat out a wizard in long fights. I have yet to see any credible evidence of mages being anything but victims of their own bitching in the perception of their peers.

I mean seriously - a DPS increase may be needed but a whole rework of a main class function? That seems insane to me given the stats and abilities of mages.

Always up for seeing evidence though.

I think it had gotten off track a bit too, I think pet surviveability could be increases some and that would solve most problems without the need of an overhaul.

Backtracking some I think the non targetable stamina draining pets sound a little bit too much like shaman totems from wow.

Why do you hate the things that bring joy to my life.

Give them something new and cute but changing rains wont be heralded as the all-good-hurray change that the SK changes were =p

Perhaps increase their pet armor summoning abilities? I also think pet tomes will go a loooong way to make this whole thing less an issue.

I was gonna make the rain, rain pets!

Well here is a peek into your future then: "MY TARGETING"

Also can you say where the first rank pet tomes that will be sold are going to be located? I am hoping not refuge as pets run in to trouble before you would gain entrance there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom