What should be done for L65 Mage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of buffing up the summoned gear, also a question about that, does the ac for items effect pets? I have not noticed a difference in a pets tankability when it has power weapons and bauble of battle vs full plate armor and the previous. I know full plate is not very much ac but would have thought would be a slight improvent.

I think it had gotten off track a bit too, I think pet surviveability could be increases some and that would solve most problems without the need of an overhaul.
I agree.
I very much like my mage except when pet is dying too fast (and pet losing hp is always too fast).
If others want extra toys, okay with me, but I don't think that would make them that more desirable. Please don't change rains into dots, then mages would just be a gimp sort of necros.

Agreed - even though it doesn't mean much coming from me (I'm getting there though - 30 more levels to go and I can actually comment ::p) Increasing the pet survivability without changing anything else is the most logical option which would keep everyone happy. Just slightly higher hp / ac / resists or even ac / resists sounds like enough. Changing the overall class mechanics would kind of screw a lot of people over wouldn't you agree? Particularly the stamina idea. Really really don't like it. Yeah, if everyone was only raiding 24/7, that would be fine. But otherwise, it's really equivalent of telling a warrior that his threat is now based off mana now.

Not to mention the fact that in solo situations the drain would need to be super fast to prevent someone from just throwing up a summon on to a mob and not casting anything to not draw aggro. Or the threat generated by the summon to = threat generated by mage - means the mage won't be able to cast any spells with the summon up in solo situations, and / or would need some way to remove the summon - which in itself would cause a heck lot of problems. It's basically overhauling the class. Please don't - even if the intent is to make an example of what happens if someone complains that their class isn't good enough ::p

Last edited:
It would still be nice to not have to worry about rains re-targeting to the caster if mob dies too quickly. That's the reason I liked the dot idea. Soloing or on raid targets it's no biggie. But grouping with a wizard usually means dont rain.. damned UBers.

And yes, main concern really should be revamping the pets to make them less of a ranger tank.

IF/when you do anything for mage can you

(1) Correct the obvious glaring major (MAGER) error in the way spell crits are calculated on rains.

(2) Have a look at elemental forms
(a) Fire gives you increased intelligence (useless) damage shield that does not appear to stack and increased attack (does that do anything?)
(b)Water gives water breathing (yeh right) and health regen (something that is not a problem)
(c)Air is fabulous apart from there are too many zones where it cannot be used and is forever getting overwritten in zones where it can be used
(d)Earth gives you increased health (slightly useful) and stamina (useless????)

Since the ability to cast elemental form is one of (the few) mage plus features can we have some better features that are useful on more occasions?

One suggestion Fire illusion will give a big reduction in the possibility of a fire spell being resisted.

(1) Correct the obvious glaring major (MAGER) error in the way spell crits are calculated on rains.
Rains give 3 times damage, on up to 2 targets, for 1 time mana spent. Chance to crit is spread out over the 3 times of damage, resulting in 1/3 crit change per wave. If by "obvious glaring major (MAGER) error" you mean that it should also be spread out over the numbers of targets, resulting in 1/6 crit chance, I think this would be a bit harsh. Should you think that every wave should have the full crit chance, just lol.

(2) Have a look at elemental forms
(a) Fire gives you increased intelligence (useless) damage shield that does not appear to stack and increased attack (does that do anything?)
(b)Water gives water breathing (yeh right) and health regen (something that is not a problem)
(c)Air is fabulous apart from there are too many zones where it cannot be used and is forever getting overwritten in zones where it can be used
(d)Earth gives you increased health (slightly useful) and stamina (useless????)

Since the ability to cast elemental form is one of (the few) mage plus features can we have some better features that are useful on more occasions?

One suggestion Fire illusion will give a big reduction in the possibility of a fire spell being resisted.
You forgott to mention that they all have a nice FT4 overcap component, wich makes them amazing.
Forms in detail:
Fire - INT isn't useless for the lower tier mages who are not near the cap yet.
Water - Water Breathing is indeed very usefull in certain situations, like, when you HAVE to be under water.
Air - Fine as is. Would be overpowered if you could use it EVERYWHERE, because it stacks with everything.
Earth - Experienced a major buff by being made to stack with combine clicky. Our mage uses this one on about every raid ever. Again, stamina is usefull for lower tier mages, it gives them even more HP.

Rains give 3 times damage, on up to 2 targets, for 1 time mana spent. Chance to crit is spread out over the 3 times of damage, resulting in 1/3 crit change per wave. If by "obvious glaring major (MAGER) error" you mean that it should also be spread out over the numbers of targets, resulting in 1/6 crit chance, I think this would be a bit harsh. Should you think that every wave should have the full crit chance, just lol.

This is not only wrong ( The rain does not give 3 times the damage. It gives 1 x damage with the disadvantage that the damage gets spread out in 3 waves instead of happening all at once) but is olso irrelevant.

Do the maths.
Having a 1% crit chance for a non rain spell (or melee damage) gives you a 1% increase in overall damage. A 1% crit for rain spells currently gives you one third % increase in overall damage.

Last edited:
You forgott to mention that they all have a nice FT4 overcap component, wich makes them amazing.
Forms in detail:
Fire - INT isn't useless for the lower tier mages who are not near the cap yet.
Water - Water Breathing is indeed very usefull in certain situations, like, when you HAVE to be under water.
Air - Fine as is. Would be overpowered if you could use it EVERYWHERE, because it stacks with everything.
Earth - Experienced a major buff by being made to stack with combine clicky. Our mage uses this one on about every raid ever. Again, stamina is usefull for lower tier mages, it gives them even more HP.

This whole thread is what to do for high level mages.

I take it you are agreeing that Fire and Water are useless (as in will NEVER be used)
You will always use another form plus EB clicky

I am not surprised your mage is using Earth
It is likely that air cannot be used and Fire/Water do nothing so Earth it has to be.

Last edited:
Fire is useful for the higher tiered mages when they have the time that for every 20 int over the cap gives 1% more chance to crit.

Also air doesn't stack with foe/dmf

rains are fine as is, I still see crits with them fairly often and would push being op if increased crit rates especially on multiple targets.

Fire is useful for the higher tiered mages when they have the time that for every 20 int over the cap gives 1% more chance to crit.

Int cap =355. Usable Int with 3 tomes = 355 +3*20 = 415. Current Int = 465.
So no Fire int provides no useful purpose (even assuming 3 tomes)

Also air doesn't stack with foe/dmf

I was not suggesting it should stack. Only that you do not get your one useful illusion overwritten any time FoE/DMF is cast.

rains are fine as is, I still see crits with them fairly often and would push being op if increased crit rates especially on multiple targets.

If you think that Mage getting a 1% increase in damage for each 3 levels of crit where everyone else gets a 3% increase is fine - then you are entitled to your opinion. It just is not mine. The number of targets you are hitting is an irrelevance.
I suggest you do the maths.

You will always use another form plus EB clicky

I am pretty sure but possibly wrong that the water illusion doesn't get dispelled by a number of fights and thus removes the hassle/possibility that you die from drowning.

If you die from drowning you fail at button pushing. Makes can summon an instant cast eb clickie. Plus eb is on a few buffs ad well such as shaman buff and dmf

I had forgotten about those silly forms. Now here is an opportunity for a real elegant solution. It makes me recall an idea from a long while ago which is essentially a buff/nerf to mages. It would involve some form revamps. I call it a buff/nerf as right now a mage doesn't HAVE to max out each form. After this they kinda would.

Current Forms

Common
Slot 8: Adjust Mana (per Tick) by 1/2/4 (overcap)

AIR
Levitate
See Invis
Adjust All Resists by 10/15/25

Earth
Adjust STA by 10/15/20
Adjust HP (Once) by 50/100/200

Fire
Damage Shield with strength of 10/20/30
Adjust INT by 10/15/20
Adjust ATK by 25/50/100

Water
Waterbreathing
Adjust HP (per Tick) by 4/8/15

Random Thoughts [Red removals, Blue additions, Purple changes]

Common

Make the elemental form cast on yourself AND your pet
Procs chance would scale with form level

Slot 8: Adjust Mana (per Tick) by 1/2/4 (overcap)

AIR
Levitate
Adjust All Resists by 10/15/25
See Invis/Ultravision [Buff for the Mage]
Add melee proc to spell damage on target (2%) [Offensive for the pet] Because air is chaotic, and sometimes it just makes everything spike!
Adjust Magic Resist by 20/25/35 [Defensive for both]

Earth
Adjust STA by 10/15/20

Adjust HP (Once) by 50/100/200 [Buff for both]
Add melee proc DD/Snare (120) [Offensive for the pet] Because earth is slow, steady, and reliable
Adjust AC by 50/100/200 [Defensive for the pet]
Adjust Disease Resist by 20/25/35 [Defensive for both]

Fire
Adjust INT by 10/15/20 [Buff for the Mage]
Damage Shield with strength of 10/20/30 [Buff for both]
Adjust ATK by 50/100/200 [Offensive for the pet]
Add melee proc Overhaste (25) [Offensive for the pet] Because fire does DPS
Adjust Fire Resist by 20/25/35 [Defensive for both]

Water
Waterbreathing [Buff for the mage]
Adjust HP (per Tick) by 10/15/20 [Buff for both]
Add melee proc Circle of Healing (70-100hp group) [Offensive for the pet] Because it seems interesting
Adjust Cold Resist by 20/25/35 [Defensive for both]

So overall, Air's uber goodness is broken up, but made usable in more places, pets get some survivability buffs you can take advantage of earlier than tomes, and mages are forced to grind more AA's.

*Numbers and abilities not definite, I haven't thought these through all the way, just kinda throwing them out there as it was an idea that has been floating out there for awhile.

Last edited:
Making swarmpets not targetable would be awesome. Nothing worse than trying to get control of add mobs when there are swarm pets around :(

If you die from drowning you fail at button pushing. Makes can summon an instant cast eb clickie. Plus eb is on a few buffs ad well such as shaman buff and dmf

I would like to welcome you to the cruel world of things that can stun you underwater.

If your entire group has insta click eb stones would hopetheentire group wouldn't get stun locked, but if you are perma stunned you might as well be dead

I really really like Cyzaine's idea, but I'd rather each form had their own resist, for practical and lore reasons.
Would these stack with all buffs like rbow, frenzied burnout, plate illusion, cotp and similar on pet?
I haven't played in a while, so I don't remember if one elemental illusion overwrites the other or not, but would they now or would you have to zone to have it fade on the pet?

<3

I really really like Cyzaine's idea, but I'd rather each form had their own resist, for practical and lore reasons.

DOH! That was the intention. Stupid copy and paste... will fix that.

Would these stack with all buffs like rbow, frenzied burnout, plate illusion, cotp and similar on pet?

That is the idea yes. It shouldn't be too difficult.

I haven't played in a while, so I don't remember if one elemental illusion overwrites the other or not, but would they now or would you have to zone to have it fade on the pet?
<3
They overwrite each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom