We All Love Monks, Here

I like Don's idea. I question how long this would take to code? also, I think the idea of managing Discipline is a Mnk thing. Mnk's don't go ALL IN. and that was why Slaar wanted us to save stam up and use it as needed not just spam every time its up. This imho is more towards what Was wanted for mnks. (is it balanced? idk. but yeah...even the current system is a bit off balance.

I'm not sure Slaar is gonna go for a complete 360 on her design but either way bro, I like it.

Quick question. Does Stam Regen have any effect in the current Discipline system?

Last edited:
Yeah if we actually can stay in front to help aux while DPSing, cool.

If we can only do that while in defensive stance and gimping our dps severely by not using a dps kick, then the group/raid would be better off by just bringing an extra healer to dps and quick heal the tank when they eat a big round.

I think this summarizes the core issue with the current implementation. The more I think about it the more I think that the whole different abilities in offensive vs defensive is not the way to go. If you're going to force monks to choose between
a) Being aux bots
or
b) Being decent dps
then I don't see any real reason to bring a monk except for a "niche" extra auxxer. And it seems unfair to force everyone who's played a monk into this niche.

My suggestions to keep it simple...
-Allow all of the special abilities to be used, regardless of stance.
-Keep the old stamina stances, kicks shouldn't use stamina. Maybe get rid of some of the misc bad/rarely used stances.
-Keep /s 6 as an innate monk ability.
-Give monks a "burn" stance that actually does more dmg than /s 2.
-Change "flying kick" dmg to essentially do 30-50% of the orginal RKx3 combo.
-Change "kick" dmg to 30-50% of the original Lifetap combo.
-Keep round kick as it is maybe adjust dmg, haven't tested it, ae dmg ability seems useful.
-Adjust the elemental dmg on monk gloves to have more dmg, maybe even add multiple elemental dmg on the higher tier gloves to make up for removing the +1 dmg for every 5 h2h skill in an effort to keep h2h dps slightly higher than "armed" dps. (Adjusting EVERY item for str/dex to accommodate for 1 class' change, seems really inefficient and I'm sure it would take months if not years to "get it right" and makes it a ton more work for devs.).
-Keep this
- ARMED monks who are Aux-tanking have a BONUS to AVOID peripheral melee attacks (RAMPAGE, etc.).
- ARMED Monks who are NOT Aux-tanking have a SMALLER BONUS to AVOID peripheral melee attacks.
- ARMED Monks who are Aux-tanking have a BONUS to MITIGATE spell damage.

-Adjust the elemental dmg on monk gloves to have more dmg, maybe even add multiple elemental dmg on the higher tier gloves to make up for removing the +1 dmg for every 5 h2h skill in an effort to keep h2h dps slightly higher than "armed" dps. (Adjusting EVERY item for str/dex to accommodate for 1 class' change, seems really inefficient and I'm sure it would take months if not years to "get it right" and makes it a ton more work for devs.).

The problem with this and the 1 guys idea for Glove AC = Barefist dmg is simple. I had to reread the original post to remember this, but Slaar doesn't want a Single item to be the difference between a T13 and a T5 Mnks DPS. So T5 mnk gets carried on Cauldron of the Dawn event gets Ule's conception and suddenly he does T10-11 DPS with his barefist vs the T4-6 DPS he does with the weps of his current tier.

My thoughts on this idea of slaars, I understand that, its kinda like jumping tiers, but you would kill yourself and annoy 3/4 if not all of the server trying to fix this. Rangers, one good raid of being carried on Saitha and suddenly the ranger with T2 gear hits harder than a T9 rogue.
two good T10 weps on Rogues and they suddenly DPSing as good as the T10Rangers. (figureative speech PLZ don't jump ship and start talking about RNG DPS VS ROG DPS.) Weapons are meant to carry the dmg, but a T6 mnk going barefist on a T7 mob enters "Danger Zone" of several reasons.
  • Mnk aggro is ALWAYS high, he has no jolt cept FD which is epic, but unless hes in the habit of spamming this, he takes aggro and cause hes barefist in aggressive, auto-piloting his DPS (Don't LIE all of us DPS do it at times) BAM hes dead in 2 seconds.
  • Barefist while auxxing is painful/mana consumptive. He takes Ripos, what if hes getting Ramped? Ow. what if the mob is WWing, OW, what if the mob PTs, HEALER!!!
I can go on and on about it but theres the main killers. Jumping tiers in DPS isn't a great thing, but its in ALL classes. Wizard gets DI7 and hes doign serious DPS. or if he has his Archaic before he can even do the areas FOR archaics, his dmg just went up. Healers, HI8 vs HI4 yeah, no explaining needed. Warrior with a Elael Scythe vs Valor, Blade of Enthann. Druid Relic HoTs vs Non-Relic. Mage pet Vs Relic Pet. Necro pet Vs Relic Pet.

To say," a item that just completely revolutionizes that classes ability to DPS/heal/tank is bad!" is like saying Warrior's Elael Scythe, Custodian sword, any item with high HI/DI/Affliction or elemental focuses and weapons with great Dmg Procs need revamped. If you want to give Mnks a REASON to use weapons over barefist, split it up. maybe aggro procs for duo. Rune procs, Vex procs (animation fist is epic for that) maybe lifetap procs, Over-haste procs, spellfocus procs (Xenelaqui) and so on. Let Barefist be pure dmg and procs from weapons be useful/interesting trade-offs. Like maybe I want a Over-haste proc in my main hand, and DPS from my off-hand. Or maybe, I want A rune in mainhand and a lifetap proc in my off hand.

In the end what I am trying to say is, maybe Leave h2h the way it was, maybe revamp it some off of something else, but Killing 100 items for the other DPS classes because a person can get carried into "high tier content" and get a "ground breaking" item is not the solution. Let barefist be DPS and 1handers be interestign Procs and 2hb's be whatever. 2hb's can be AE DPS or something. Big sticks do hurt, anyways. Maybe change Procs on weapons in a way thats not gonna KILL all the other classes.

Sidenote, Why not just invent a no-stam stance that kills parry and MAYBE ripo, but gives enhanced dodge and enhanced barefist dmg and leave ALL barefist dmg up to elemental dmg and procs on gloves. Therefore the Mnk trades off tankiness for DPS. Then maybe u can make other stances for different wep types. Like 2hb, lose triple attack (keep double maybe? or just go to single I dont do figures i just do ideas) and do dmg to up to 2-3-4 targets, and with 1hander weapons just increase block/parry. THESE IDEAS are seen in Rangers and Knights. Rng: Bow = DPS 1handers = Tanky and 2hander= tanky/DPS? im not sure on that 1.
Knights: 1hander/shield = Tanky 2hander = (sometimes aggro depending on proc) DPS.
Clearly this idea is accepted BECAUSE it mediates what can be done. You can't use a 2hander to tank Duke Thanes (unless u got Jyre/SERIOUSLY over-tiered) Because the loss from not having a shield/huge stat/Hp/AC loss from only 1 weapon with stats is too killer.

Again, Ideas, and pure logic. Current system if u can make it work IDC, but the item nerfs was a stupid idea if u only did it for Mnk barefist when every other class runs into the same problem. (almost all anyways.)

Slaar-"
Of those ideas, I like extra discipline with bare fists the most... especially since powered flying kicks hit really hard! The more of them you can do, the better. I think the MAIN mistake with scaling H2H the way i did it is that 13/18 -> 18/18 is huge mountain-sized steps of damage where it is probably safer to increase overall ratio instead of base damage somehow (sliding delay along with damage for a smoother curve). Basing it off +H2H skill was a bad idea anyway but it is difficult to find another way to scale it since levels stop at 65. Basing it off one item slot (like glove hp) is at best just as bad and at worst even worse.

The problem, always, with tier-locked class-defining single-slot stuff, even the augs you mention, is that it only takes 1 instance of tagging along on something way over your tier to completely obviate 90% of the content in the game. It's one thing to sneak into a pofrost raid at fresh 65 and get some nice pants and another thing to tag along for a high-tier 'aug-unlock' raid (in this case) and never have to worry about another dps upgrade for the rest of the life of your character because you scooped up a single item. That's what I would like to avoid."

I'm not saying I don't understand the annoying aspect of this, but I feel if you Branched out and created MORE items that have this effect, It suddenly stops being item locked, but instead becomes a more situational and personal preference decision on what to do and when. Kinda like do I want to create a Bane weapon where I do 1k DPS on this 1 mob but the drawback is no stats what so ever (or possibly Negative stats to make it even more of a drawback) so that in these situations I want this item, where as in this fight I am taking dmg and would prefer a drop in DPS so I can survive longer. (by now I am sure you get my point I just keep trying to make a emphasis on I am not in anyway (if I am I am srry) dis-repecting you or anything, but instead pointing out that the better way, imho from playing the game, and such, is to create more items that are the key to the door of greatness so that no item is the "only" key to greatness.

Last edited:
Mnk aggro is ALWAYS high, he has no jolt cept FD which is epic, but unless hes in the habit of spamming this, he takes aggro and cause hes barefist in aggressive, auto-piloting his DPS (Don't LIE all of us DPS do it at times) BAM hes dead in 2 seconds.

Manguadi says, "Play Better".

Pre change
The Custodian on 11/12/2014 in 275sec

Total
--- DMG: 343683 (100%) @ 1250 dps (1250 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 1020 @1020dps

Lowako
--- DMG: 343683 (100%) @ 1250 dps (1250 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 1020 @1020dps

Special: 7: 7th yr vet G: Glyph K: Kiss S: Staunch X: Slain $: Saved by DI
Produced by GamParse v1.0.3

Post change
The Custodian on 12/3/2014 in 411sec

Total
--- DMG: 313721 (100%) @ 763 dps (763 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 2588 @11dps

Lowako
--- DMG: 313721 (100%) @ 763 dps (763 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 2588 @11dps

Will there be anyway to determine what you fist ratio is? Also is the str/dex bonus only 65, or does it affect all levels with barefists?

Okay, I'm gonna make one post that addresses the last 30 and in order:

Return Kick using Discipline is a bug and will be fixed.

The Monk anti-charm stance seems like it is more important than I thought and I will strongly consider re-adding that mechanic somehow. Back in the day, I remember being VERY disappointed that Xeras could pop that stance and try to pull WW dragons and get charmed anyway so when I was making these decisions, that stance was very underwhelming to me.

The STR/DEX scaling is not capped and scales pretty smoothly through the tiers. Currently, Monks reach approximately 1.0 ratio at 1000 combined stat (this includes buffs and is a rough estimate). The hardest numbers I can give you, since this is RATIO scaling, is that the highest maximum fist damage is 30 base and the lowest fist delay is 14 base. To hit 30/14 you would need an unthinkable amount of STR/DEX though but that is the limit I imposed for the ratio algorithm.

The lifetap on Kick does indeed scale with level. It can be adjusted if it's that underwhelming.

So question about this, I know your major concern is raiding tiers and end game stuff in general, but I'm curious how this will effect lower level (or fresh 65) monks. Can we just get a straight up answer on the math so I can figure out if I should barefist or use weapons on my monk or babby beastlord? Previously with the monk barefist changes it was pretty welcomed, as it was a nice boost to monk (and bst) damage while leveling.

Okay thoughts for SLAARIEL.

Make the Empowered kick 930 unresistable base damage nuke. (Would even out to what the reckless combo nuke did before when mashing flying kick. Could lower this number to about 900 to prevent monk burn from being too strong) This also gives monks some relatively interesting gameplay options in terms of burn dps.

Tone down Flying kick physical damage slightly (a 60-65 dps upgrade over roundkick from when i tested it at force of body 0) Currently working out some numbers for this
EDIT: I reducing FKick dmg to 75% of its strength in the test zone would put it fkick dps in a pretty decent place, making up for lost accuracy of reckless combo

The trickiest part of all of this is the flying kick dmg scaling.

Discipline Cost and Special Effects are pretty good, keep them as they currently are in the test zone. All the specials except flying kick are pretty well tuned

EDIT: More accurate numbers

These numbers SHOULD put monks close to where they were pre change, when the 2nd wave of things go in more dudes can test it out and help with some numbers but these might be slightly higher/lower than before, tried to get things as close as possible but that is pretty hard to do w/ all the randomness in this game

Last edited:
With full standard buffs, I previously did 850-900 average DPS against this mob in stance 2 mashing DPS combo. These are all ~10 minutes or longer.

Old parse, a bit higher than average but not abnormally so:

Horok / Bare Fist
891 total
415 spell (DPS combo nuke, horok proc, glove proc, boot proc, ele fist tome proc, rbow)
236 crush (Horok white numbers, includes ripostes)
230 punch (Offhand punches)
10 kick (Round kick, and also some flying kicks from my riposte AA)

New parses:

Horok / Bare Fist
608 total
274 spell
143 crush
129 punch
63 kick

2x Bare Fist
502 total
252 punch (So, ~126 per hand)
196 spell
54 kick

My AVERAGE PUNCH was 102 with blazewind gloves and +15 h2h while comboing
My AVERAGE PUNCH was 61 with blazewind gloves and +15 h2h just now in the new system
This makes me think the scaling str/dex thing might not even be working at all right now?

Being forced to use two buff slots for shaman stats in order to DPS is a terrible bad awful idea. Bake the stats into focus or find another way to scale our damage. I already have to drop other buffs, this makes it even worse.

Roughly a third of my kicks are empowered due to the cost/regen rate (this was with acumen and druid regen, not sure what effect they have now).

My empowered kicks could still miss and drained stam like normal when they did.

Any time my riposte kick AA triggered and I had >40% stam, my stam was drained and the damage was not buffed.

Trying to make the damage scale off Flying Kick damage is going to make balancing it a nightmare due to Force of Body. Either change the tome or find another way to give us back all the DPS we are losing.

Last edited:
Using monstrosity 2hander, same buffs in both parses, no boots equipped, not kicking the mob. Just autoattack
white con mob from front on 12/4/2014 in 2441sec

Total
--- DMG: 1074147 (100%) @ 440 dps (440 sdps)

Sabuti
--- DMG: 1074147 (100%) @ 440 dps (440 sdps)

Using horok and dawnfist, same as above
white con mob from front on 12/4/2014 in 2747sec

Total
--- DMG: 1075298 (100%) @ 391 dps (391 sdps)

Sabuti
--- DMG: 1075298 (100%) @ 391 dps (391 sdps)

new fkick white dmg should help w/ the accuracy loss but its not the same =/

oh also ethereal stance should last 12-18 seconds flat, not based on stam, but still exhaust you

oh also ethereal stance should last 12-18 seconds flat, not based on stam, but still exhaust you

Exhaust all your Discipline? I thought only [horribly inappropriate words] or [even worse words] could do that.
Also or seriously or also seriously, isn't being exhausted going to royally screw monks now? Do Warriors get exhausted? I know they have some abilities that temporarily halt regen but that's probably way shorter downtime I guess.

Exhaust all your Discipline? I thought only [horribly inappropriate words] or [even worse words] could do that.
Also or seriously or also seriously, isn't being exhausted going to royally screw monks now? Do Warriors get exhausted? I know they have some abilities that temporarily halt regen but that's probably way shorter downtime I guess.
Being truly exhausted would be horrible in a stamina based system. At least in my opinion...

As far as warriors, I only box a ringer and I am by no means a pro with the class, but nothing I typically use is truly exhaustive in old school sense of the word.

A summary of the most recent patch:
- Some out-of-line weapon proc rates adjusted.
The most obviously out-of-line procs remain unchanged

- Horok proc should be fixed.
It still overwrites Regen (visually, it doesn't actually negate the hp/stam regen.) This proc was intended to regen stam and mana but Marza never got it working. I'd say it should be reverted to the old 5x300dd proc but that would probably be deemed unbalanced. Since the mana+stamina regeneration effect does not work and has never worked, there's no reason for this buff to apply a recourse that overwrites regen in the first place. Just remove it.

- Many MNK-usable items have had STR/DEX adjusted (see next section).
Every high tier item affected by the str/dex changes was nerfed, as far as I can tell, and are now inferior to lower tier alternatives. What the fuck?

Monk Update:
- Monks have lost most of their stances.
- Monks have lost my terrible combo system.
- Monks have lost the flat damage increase from +Hand-to-hand skill.
- Monks have gained a Discipline combat system similar to the Warrior stamina system.
- Each Monk special attack has an additional effect if used properly at >= 40% Discipline.
- In AGGRESSIVE Stance:
KICK activates a small Life Tap.
ROUND KICK becomes an AE kick.
FLYING KICK gains a large damage bonus.
- In DEFENSIVE Stance:
TIGER CLAW adds a hate proc.
EAGLE STRIKE stuns or interrupts.
DRAGON PUNCH adds a small knockback and root effect.
- A Monk attacking from the front of a target now INCREASES the "Aux-Tanking" cap for that mob slightly.
- A Monk attacking from the front of a target now ADDS EXTRA "Aux-Tanking" damage reduction.
- These bonuses stack PER MONK (up to three, of course).
- Monk Hand-to-Hand damage (weaponless only) now SCALES IN RATIO with a COMBINATION OF STR AND DEX.
- Accordingly, about 100 items have had stats adjusted to smooth out this curve. High end Monks should notice LITTLE DIFFERENCE or a SLIGHT INCREASE in bare-fisted DPS.
- ARMED monks who are Aux-tanking have a BONUS to AVOID peripheral melee attacks (RAMPAGE, etc.).
- ARMED Monks who are NOT Aux-tanking have a SMALLER BONUS to AVOID peripheral melee attacks.
- ARMED Monks who are Aux-tanking have a BONUS to MITIGATE spell damage.
- ALL MONKS are permanently unstunnable from rear attacks (permanent /s 6).
- These changes are ALL FIRST-ROUND INPUT and are SUBJECT TO DISCUSSION AND CHANGE.
I lost several stances that I used daily and which performed integral roles in monk gameplay and now have no replacement, as well as some that were useless.

The str/dex scaling system to replace +h2h is bugged or completely broken.

The damage special attack is negligible and results in a ~40% DPS loss for high end monks.

The lifetap special attack is negligible and results in monks trying to aux tank but can no longer help pad heal themselves. (this is kind of a big deal given the new monk "utility" role).

On hand-to-hand alone, there is no way a T13 Monk does less punch damage now than before
My h2h damage is greatly reduced (~40% decrease in average punch damage) despite assurances that the new system would not be a nerf.

I'm pulling aggro off a t13 Shadowknight while doing 600 dps, this is literally the worst patch I have seen in 6+ years of playing on this server.

Last edited:
I personally really like the new changes I think the aux tanking system is pretty good and feel like monks really have a viable role now in both groups and raids.

I personally really like the new changes I think the aux tanking system is pretty good and feel like monks really have a viable role now in both groups and raids.
Have you parsed anything since the patch? Have you tried soloing or boxing anything? You said you tried killing shit in Elds and couldn't, how can you say this change is in any way good at the moment?

I genuinely don't believe Slaar when he says that he tested the most recent monk changes before applying them to the live server. Whether a high tier monk has 0 Force of Body, 2 Force of Body, or 4 Force of Body tomes completed, this is a gigantic DPS nerf in a system that is supposed to be a DPS buff to the class, whether they are using a 2hb, 1handed weapons, or bare fists. Period. Literally every single weapon option is more than a 35% nerf currently to the t12+ monk.

The Horok proc fix simply is not fixed. The invuln stance does not work. The str/dex scaling system does not work and is a substantial h2h nerf for any high tier monk no matter their +h2h value pre-patch. The AOE kick is negligible compared to the pre-patch stance 9. The +aggro, +stun/interrupt, +knockback+root effects are borderline useless for mid and high tier monks (which I told Slaar months ago when he had me test them).

Maybe once this system is actually balanced and monks can actually aux tank mobs, it will be an okay change. Maybe then, it would be appropriate to patch the live server with the changes.

But on top of all the decreases in monk DPS and utility, the fact remains that monks can't actually aux tank at low tiers, mid tiers, or the high end and are still forced to avoid any meaningful frontal attacks/AOEs by auxing for a split second and then moving behind the mob for as long as possible. That is a huge flaw in the system and is something that will not be corrected by adding a small percent bonus to avoidance. If monks are meant to be aux tanks, they need to be able to actually aux tank. Period. Still getting destroyed by frontal AOEs/Cleaves/Etc from low tiers to t13 is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom