Spell Icons Mod

woot thanks taryth...

and im mad that i was spoiling everything even for myself. now i know a certain spell exists but i cant get it cause its a "christmas present". QQ

OK, after hemming and hawing about "do we replace peoples' icons," I think we agreed the best thing is to give folks the option in the patcher if they want it.

SO, when I get a bit of time, I will make an "Advanced" option in the patcher for folks who want to change their video fix or icon settings. The other concern we had is making the patcher too busy or complicated; this sort of reduces that. If you want the new icons, great, hit Advanced, check the box, you're off and going.

I will try to get this done sooner rather than later, lest I forget.

I am hoping this will end up giving us some feedback on which icons we should migrate over to the "official" spell set, and maybe integrating the two as we go. Hopefully I get yelled at less this way, too.

I am hoping this will end up giving us some feedback on which icons we should migrate over to the "official" spell set, and maybe integrating the two as we go. Hopefully I get yelled at less this way, too.
This reminds me of a question I had relating to 2.5/3.0. Am I right to assume we'll be using Live's current spell icons? Our old ones could presumably be copied+pasted strategically over the modern ones without losing any new icons we may get in the process if the ones we've used all these years are deemed too important to abandon. If we are going to upgrade to a newer set of icons, would it be worthwhile for someone to upload the modern icons for use with our current client so that people can get a preview of what's to come and so that the big switch (whenever it happens) won't be that little bit less jarring?

I've played SoD with the modern icons before for this purpose, but I reverted before long simply because I am so used to the ones we have now. I also wasn't sure whether I was doing myself a favor or not because I had no idea what was being done with the icons for the client upgrade in the first place!

i copied old ones over when i was testing in 2.5... just cause i was use to theold ones...

OK, I worked it into the patcher. It was a far bigger pain than I thought it would be. Patcher should be automatically updated in maybe the next day or so.

Tierilo, we need to keep spells_us in sync between the "live" copy and your modified copy. Mind PMing me the details of how you do your updates? I should be able to automate it when we generate a new file.

i just used winmerge to compare the new spell file with the my last version of the update icon file.

also thank taryth this is awesome!

Glad to see your alternate icon project has been officially endorsed, Tierilo! I'm sure many more people are going to give it a try now that it's only two clicks away thanks to Taryth & Co.

yay its pretty cool, im super excited. i hope the people who like it use it and the people who dont have the option not to.

HOLY SHIT IT HAPPENED IT GOT ON THE PATCHER!!!!!! im jacked about this thanks staff! and of course thanks tierilo!

Post change gripes

1. Venom of the Wild should be changed to the one with a poison and wolf image.
2. Bitter Cold now has a cold image on it, can it now be correctly placed under cold type direct damage instead of magic type damage over time? Also can it be changed to evocation from conjuration since the dot was removed from it? (ie. its basically improved version of harsh winter which is correctly placed under cold type spell and evocation)

I'm very conflicted, because I like the new spell icon changes but as a shaman i feel dirty casting any spell with the same icon as the ranger attack buff.

Due to being so involved in SoD over the last several years, I've come to regard the icons we use as "classic," but I got to thinking about the Tashan icon earlier and vaguely remembered there being an even older icon associated with that in the very early days of EQ. Did a bit of digging and came across this image, which shows the red-eyed wolf icon I was thinking of for Tashan. It's hard to believe just how few icons used to be available! :eek:

Back when we had to share our screen visibility with buffs. Having like 6 blue boot icons, and a couple flexing arms. Shame I don't have a pic of buffs up on the top right of screen.

Untitled.png

I don't miss needing the spell book open to meditate... the old school icons though, bad as link to the past :)

Back when we had to share our screen visibility with buffs. Having like 6 blue boot icons, and a couple flexing arms. Shame I don't have a pic of buffs up on the top right of screen.
You probably know about this already, but many people seem to be unaware that the viewport can be customized to mimic the boxed-in look of the original UI. The command is /viewport followed by some X and Y offset coordinates, I believe, but I don't dare mess with it myself for fear of accidentally shifting the entire field of view way offscreen and not knowing how to retrieve it! :eek:

You probably know about this already, but many people seem to be unaware that the viewport can be customized to mimic the boxed-in look of the original UI. The command is /viewport followed by some X and Y offset coordinates, I believe, but I don't dare mess with it myself for fear of accidentally shifting the entire field of view way offscreen and not knowing how to retrieve it! :eek:

That is really interesting. I guess if I had the time or desire I could change up my UI so that all the area(s) I have boxes and chat windows could lay in a particular area, and never again get in the way of looting. (Well if I ever looted anymore. 4 bags and 4 open inventory slots. No room for looting anymore.)

That is really interesting. I guess if I had the time or desire I could change up my UI so that all the area(s) I have boxes and chat windows could lay in a particular area, and never again get in the way of looting. (Well if I ever looted anymore. 4 bags and 4 open inventory slots. No room for looting anymore.)
No joke on the inventory space issues lol

Back
Top Bottom