Rogue vs Ranger

Absolute, honest to god true story and anyone in CW can back it up. My old laptop I broke 3 of my laptop keys on my keyboard playing my ranger because of bowing, it was getting to the point where I was literally bashing them to make them work.

Then I turned into an angry hulk smash because of Dell ... laptop was under warranty which I paid for "Complete Care Coverage" and they refused to replace my keyboard ... even under warranty. In their words "We don't warranty wear and tear items" ... I said ... "Uhhh you know technically once I turned on the laptop then the whole thing is technically wear and tear so why pay for a warranty?" ... the Indian guy had no response except to follow his script. Dell reported the lowest earnings the next few quarters, gee I wonder why people might stop buying Dells now.

I'd go rogue, less keyboard destroying.

Traps add to utility for instance I was duoing in MielechC with my druid and the clay golems have a pretty high MR resistance. I popped the root trap since it was a 2x pull and it's unresistable which made that pull ridiculously easy and it even lasted a while with traps maxxed.

This story makes me very happy.

The new traps are fun, until you set a trap in HHK (first floor) and it aggro pulls everything from the basement...

Ouch

(not sure if thats fixed yet), I just remember setting a trap for doing an aoe boom and next thing I hear, where the hell did all these basement guys comes from!?!?

The AE traps should now take LoS into account. Feel free to petition/bug/tell me if they aren't for some reason.

I would like them to look into Rogues and there DPS

I have 2 rangers in my guild that way out DPS me even on my best day and we have about the same gear

I know this is not live but the rogue in my eyes is not even a far shot from what they were or should be.

This is only my point of view of the Rogue

I have 2 rangers in my guild that way out DPS me even on my best day and we have about the same gear

I know this is not live but the rogue in my eyes is not even a far shot from what they were or should be.

You box a cleric so I do not think you are able to play Drock to his full potential. And you just got your haste bumped up pretty good last night.

You are doing something wrong.

Although I've only been on SoD for a few months, I did play on live since '99, and leveled both a Rogue and Ranger in the 70's. My experience is thus:

Ranger - My first char was a ranger, and aggro control was a big issue in the years before Jolt. Otherwise, it's the most self sufficeint class other than a Mage IMO. (and I played a mage also) Tracking, foraging, camo, root, snare, and later on SoW, are great tools for a solo ranger. Group DPS will be mostly from archery here on SoD, which is nice considering it took them 7yrs to do it on live. As far as survivability goes, the only dead rangers are dumb rangers. Basically, if you play a ranger smart, you can survive most anything in this game, short of a complete group wipe.

Rogue - I think playing a ranger helped my rogue abilities, because aggro control is everything. But I can honestly say I had more fun with my rogue than ever playing my ranger. Leveling is a pita, but once you get up there, it's a hoot. Sneak is the best thing ever created, camo will drop when you least can afford it, sneak won't. As long as your aware of your surroundings, and /con the nasties, you can venture into places no one else can. Your job is DPS, and you can do it well :) You can bring alot more to groups also, with pots (snare, DoTs, poison) scouting, and traps / lockpicking. Survivability all depends on how well you play a rogue. The tools are there, you just have to learn to use them. (macro's are you friend)

Between the two, my ranger was always the last one to die in a fight, my rogue was the last one left alive :)

Anyways, thats my 2coppers

I always enjoy everyone (except those with FD) dieing and then posting a "/g ranger down"while being the last one standing. Rangers are great utility.

Absolute, honest to god true story and anyone in CW can back it up. My old laptop I broke 3 of my laptop keys on my keyboard playing my ranger because of bowing, it was getting to the point where I was literally bashing them to make them work.

Then I turned into an angry hulk smash because of Dell ... laptop was under warranty which I paid for "Complete Care Coverage" and they refused to replace my keyboard ... even under warranty. In their words "We don't warranty wear and tear items" ... I said ... "Uhhh you know technically once I turned on the laptop then the whole thing is technically wear and tear so why pay for a warranty?" ... the Indian guy had no response except to follow his script. Dell reported the lowest earnings the next few quarters, gee I wonder why people might stop buying Dells now.

I'd go rogue, less keyboard destroying.

Haha i noticed the same problem so i started tapping keyboard with '' a lot of finesse '' . Hopefully it will work out my way... :D

G15 gaming keyboard is win. Quickmacro a loop to autospam the fire button for you.

I'm pretty sure that will be seen as using a 3rd party product to automate actions here which I believe is frowned upon... just a heads' up.

::edit:: it does say 3rd party PROGRAMS ... so technically this wouldn't fit the letter of the law as an abuse, but I'm not a GM so I won't speculate on the spirit of the law

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that will be seen as using a 3rd party product to automate actions here which I believe is frowned upon... just a heads' up.

::edit:: it does say 3rd party PROGRAMS ... so technically this wouldn't fit the letter of the law as an abuse, but I'm not a GM so I won't speculate on the spirit of the law

Third Party Programs
Any third-party programs that is designed to alter the client, sniff or alter the data communication between client and server, or automate any task within the client are expressively forbidden. Log parsers are OK.

The keyboard macro does automate tasks, but I'm not sure if this is classified as "within the client" or not. I sure as hell hope it is allowed, because I can't live without my "/ all friends" and "/ all guild" macros, I hate typing those :)

I've never seriously played anything but a rogue, but I enjoy the shit out of it, especially with the new traps. Before the fire trap got "fixed" I got a real kick out of it (a 125.5k total damage to 15 mobs at once kick, lol)....if you're going to be a rogue, clickies are your friend! When I finally got around to starting my vah, thanks to clickies and the new traps I was able to manage 3 pulls in Siren's all by my lonesome, was pretty fun to do.

Once you get a fair number of AAs and some decent gear under your belt, rogues get a bit more flexible...I've taken Dimmi out orc kiting, soloing, splitting, tanking, killing, healing, debuffing...life's good. I'll never kite like a ranger, or split like a monk (more than once every 50 min), or heal like a (level 14) cleric, or CC like a bard/chanter, but rogues are pretty fun with the right clickies etc.

PS - Stope, rogues can use bows too! Dun b hatin

Third Party Programs
Any third-party programs that is designed to alter the client, sniff or alter the data communication between client and server, or automate any task within the client are expressively forbidden. Log parsers are OK.

The keyboard macro does automate tasks, but I'm not sure if this is classified as "within the client" or not. I sure as hell hope it is allowed, because I can't live without my "/ all friends" and "/ all guild" macros, I hate typing those :)

You can make in-game macros that do / all friends or / all guild. You can't make an in game macro that autofires and using hardware (programmable hardware included) to do it for you is a policy violation. It may have been reworded since, but the policy used to specifically mention using one of those perpetual motion bird tapper things to hit keyboard buttons. Not allowed.

I was curious about something in regards to the Ranger vs. Rogue discussion here. When I was playing live ages ago, rangers felt more melee-centric to me. I've been trying to read up as much as possible on the forums here about the central focus of each class in end-game content and I've come across a few things leading me to believe that rangers are more archery based in later level?

I will keep reading to see if I can find out more info. I'm hoping to play a more melee-focused character rather than a ranged damage dealer, and to be honest rogue is somewhat appealing but I'm not sure if the backstab style damage of a rogue is what I'm looking for.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

If you're looking for a melee damage dealer that isn't backstab style you're probly looking more at a monk or a beastlord. Monks are solid melee dps and good tanks. I don't particularly like beastlords, theyre a lot of work for less dps. You do get a pet though, thats always fun.

Back
Top Bottom