Rogue vs Ranger

Rogues are higher dps but extremely reliant on other classes, and can do very little to help out in a dangerous situation.

Rangers have lots more versatility between dps, healing, and some tanking ability, though their lower dps makes them not as good to have a lot of as rogues. Rangers are also a lot more difficult to play well, while rogues are very easy to play a second character with.

Also, as far as leveling goes: Dont bother trying to solo a rogue. It is doable, but it takes for ever. If you're looking to two box, then a rogue can be just fine. Most levels up he can tank just fine with a healer second box.

If all you want to do is sneak around and do a lot of dps, then go rogue.

If you want to actually have the ability to solo, cast spells, use a bow, track, cast some buffs, tank to some extent, and do okay dps, go ranger.

This is actually pretty fun if you like exploring areas that are way out of your reach

All of the good places are locked and have mobs that see you :dumbsad:

I am here to repeat what has been said: If your an antisocial guy who doesnt want to talk to or involve themselves with anyone: dont be a rogue.

Sneaking > Tracking (before change)

now Otcho is correct, Tracking > Sneaking.

I still enjoy assination procs, but they dont compare to eustaces mighty arrow flurry.

I can actually tank now, but rangers at my level can tank as well...

Stabs are free! Arrows cost money (i think).

Last edited:
I gave up all hope when i saw eustace one shot an east waste orc and mielc frog when I realized my 1 shot was on a 40 minute cooldown and he could potentially do it every 8~ seconds.

I mean if you want any chance of being self sufficient, dont be a rogue ever.
Especially if you are new to sod

Stabs are free! Arrows cost money (i think).

They might cost the mage summoning me my 8 damage arrows.. but i certainly dont pay anything for them! Ha!

Anyways, there is a tier 1 or 2 mob that drops a summon arrow (1 damage.. why bother?) bracer, a tier 4/5 mob that drops a quiver that summons 10 damage arrows, and the vah side quest gives you a item that summons 3 damage arrows.

I gave up all hope when i saw eustace one shot an east waste orc and mielc frog when I realized my 1 shot was on a 40 minute cooldown and he could potentially do it every 8~ seconds.

I mean if you want any chance of being self sufficient, dont be a rogue ever.
Especially if you are new to sod

I actually had the honor to do Trees in plaguelands with Eustace... well... he did them and I watched, I saw him do 24k, 21k and 18k in less then 3 seconds... I thought he was a wizard for a second.

He had the greatest bow in the game he said when I said the same thing... I guess its some uber ranger bow quest... All I remember seeing is those big numbers flying on my screen, thinking why the hell did I make a rogue?

He also tended to stockpile nightmare arrows all day without logging off if I recall, then blow them all in an evening of arrowy death. Those things pack a punch.

I think my highest crippling on Drello with Sanctum bow (which is 5 damage less than CW bow) is 13-14k (with Savagery and other buffs, but no GoG). That was also before the changes to GoG, but Eustace stopped playing before GoG got changed. 18k seems doable, but 24k cripplings seem like a hack, but I guess it doesn't matter now does it, heh.

Personal thoughts on the classes like the OP requested.

<player>
Rogue is the only alt I got to 60+, before giving the character to a friend. I boxed a shammy, while my bro played an SK and chanter (fun box duo btw, if you have a pocket healer). Leveling was thus a snap, and we simple Tmapped or dungeon crawled most of the way up.

At the time we hadn't revamped traps, but I had a huge blast breaking and entering come night fall. Other rogues were out there, and it was a game, as to who could hit the valuable spots first. I had quite a route at the time.

<staff>
Not having leveled up a rogue, I don't know how big a difference the new traps make in terms of enjoyment of the class, and would be interested in hearing anything about them from the pre 65 crowd (its just a minor bonus at that point).

<player>
I never played a ranger here, but always thought they'd be fun.

<staff>
I imagine we don't have very good newbie quests for them though.

Thanks for all the replies guys, keep them coming if you have something to add.

I would also like to know if the new traps add much fun to the rogue class.

The new traps are fun, until you set a trap in HHK (first floor) and it aggro pulls everything from the basement...

Ouch

(not sure if thats fixed yet), I just remember setting a trap for doing an aoe boom and next thing I hear, where the hell did all these basement guys comes from!?!?

Thanks for all the replies guys, keep them coming if you have something to add.

I would also like to know if the new traps add much fun to the rogue class.

Traps add to utility for instance I was duoing in MielechC with my druid and the clay golems have a pretty high MR resistance. I popped the root trap since it was a 2x pull and it's unresistable which made that pull ridiculously easy and it even lasted a while with traps maxxed.

Back
Top Bottom