Ranger Auto shoot

What about a stance that auto-bows at like 10%-15% less damage or something. Basically giving you the ability to auto bow, with small stamina use, but suffer a penalty and not able to use other stances along with the feature, at a slight sacrifice to some of your stamina over time.
While an interesting suggestion, one must continuously think about the following: A ranger does not need to be fighting ranged and can easily go into autoattack in melee. If you wish to increase dps output and remain out of ae range of the mob, then you have to push the button. Seeing an autofire stance would be nice, but I feel that the dps output would have to be balanced to be behind that of melee autoattack.

The analogies with rogue backstab are valid, albeit with a lower amount of button presses to the increase of significant dps. Except this is the class definition of the rogue and their utility beyond this is very limited compared to a ranger.
If a rogue wishes to go ranged they are either in the same boat as a ranger using a bow or thrown weapon at a considerable loss in dps.
Rangers get such a benefit from this class feature, with comparable input of other classes using it. (War, Pal, SK, Rog, Mnk ranged)

Rangers do get autoattack like every other person, you just have to be in melee range obv.

yeah and to maximize dps your timer in your backstab hotkey thing would have to be fucking perfect to hit it again as soon as it comes back up or you would lose dps. Someone have this exact number of the pause between the backstabs? otherwise maximize with hitting the button when it pops.

I don't understand why no one notices that even Robinhood bows with his goddamn melee weapons in their sheath.

Self-configured inputs are bannable? Why not just ban people with microsoft natural keyboards? My mouse has an autocenter button I coded for it, is that illegal?

Don't be snide. Using some third party macro to do something that isn't supported or intended in the game to give yourself an edge is bannable, yes.

Not destroying your keyboard is an edge? This isn't exactly programming rocketjumps or bunnyhopping into your quake keyboard. Firing a bow is a single click. Even if it wasn't, minimizing key presses for a repetitive input that in no way enables any form of botting doesn't seem to be against the rules. Hell, you don't need a third party. Set shift to fire, and let windows sticky-key it. No third party involved.

Now if you throw an autotarget into the mix and then went afk in front of an orc camp, that would make sense to ban people for... but a key that lets you play exactly as before, with just as much user control as before but with less repeated pressings of the same button? I see nothing wrong with that.

And I wasn't snide. My questions are perfectly valid. I'll guarantee you my autocenter button shifts vastly more processing off the player onto the computer than an repeating ranged firing button would. And todays keyboards have all kinds of macro's built in. Hell the tab key is a macro. Why should you be able to get 5+ carriage forwards with only one key press if you can't do the same thing with bow attacks?

Last edited:
You seem to be ignoring the use for raid fights where you could effectively be doing maximized DPS with a ranger while completely unattended. If you don't see why this is an issue I really don't know how to bring you around on the idea but in the end that doesn't really matter. The people running the server don't want it done and if they catch you they will ban you.

minimizing key presses for a repetitive input that in no way enables any form of botting doesn't seem to be against the rules.
It is.

I've even asked wiz if putting one of those water-bobbing birds on your keyboard was bannable and he said yes.

If something else is pressing buttons for you, it is illegal whether that something else is a third party program, a hardware controller or a sewing machine perched over your keyboard.

Rule 5.

Third Party Programs
Any third-party programs that is designed to alter the client, sniff or alter the data communication between client and server, or automate any task within the client are expressively forbidden. Log parsers are OK.

That would be automating tasks, now wouldnt it.

If something else is pressing buttons for you, it is illegal whether that something else is a third party program, a hardware controller or a sewing machine perched over your keyboard.

I get the point here but I have to say. If someone is using something to push buttons for them AND they are attending to their char at the same time and not using it to make their char easier to ignore. How the hell would anyone ever find out?

Also for the record I don't own anything that can push buttons for me, but if I did I would likely use it regardless. Like I said, not to bot, just to make it less trouble for myself.

Last edited:
I get the point here but I have to say. If someone is using something to push buttons for them AND they are attending to their char at the same time and not using it to make their char easier to ignore. How the hell would anyone ever find out?

Also for the record I don't own anything that can push buttons for me, but if I did I would likely use it regardless.

I'd advise against "How will you catch me" paths of thought, and leave it at "dont do it"

I'd advise against "How will you catch me" paths of thought, and leave it at "dont do it"

Well like I said, I don't. Nor do I play a class that requires a shit ton of button presses. But regardless I'm not seeing how this could be detected. Unless of course someone was using a "turbo" feature that hit the button like a hundred times a second. I guess that would be obvious. But something that hit the button once or twice everytime the skill popped, I just don't see anyone being able to detect that unless you were using it to bot your char. I am certainly not saying that people should be able to play unattended. They shouldn't. But I don't see why it should be against the rules to make it less button mashy for yourself.

Also I'm speaking specifically about hardware that has macros built into it, not software of any sort. That would be worlds easier to detect I'm sure.

But I don't see why it should be against the rules to make it less button mashy for yourself.

In the case of rangers, which this is mostly about, the trade off for them doing such high damage at a range (being able to avoid whirlwind and some AEs) is that they have to mash that button to be efficient. It's not just there to make life hard for rangers.

Back
Top Bottom