Policy Questions Thread

An honest question: Can the policy regarding lower level alts being in raids and t-maps be reconsidered?

I don't believe that loot rights on a raid should be limited to "65 only" for several reasons.
-What's the difference between killing a mob with 16 lvl 65 toons and rotting a loot, or killing a mob with 16 lvl 65 toons and 2 less than 65 toons, and not rotting loot?

-Raid loot almost all has a lvl reccomendation on it, rendering it less effective than other obtainable loot for which the toons meet the lvl rec, so it doesn't give any kind of unfair advantage to lower lvl toons.

-Nobody is going to let some random lvl 12 sit in on a Thaz 1 raid and scoop loot unless they are boxing something making a contribution.

-The rule itself kinda makes me scratch my head as to intent/purpose. A level 1 toon is just as useful on some raids as a brand new level 65. If there's no tier-range cut-off, a level-range cut-off doesn't seem appropriate either.

-The only real benefit to alt-gearing on raids in this fashion would be that you wouldn't have to go back and do it later after your toon hits 65. Revamping this rule would open up the time-frame for gearing so you can do it at a more leisurely and enjoyable pace. (Oh man, crap, warrior wrist is gonna rot on porlint, anyone got an alt to scoop it? I do, but he's only level 64, and we'd all get jailed. This is tragic.)

-Gearing scummy alts in raids is a time-honored SoD tradition. All joking aside though, this rule is painful. I miss the good old days when we'd be burning vah maps or doing maps for quest pieces or cyzaine's halloween quest, fully knowing that the loot is going to rot...then we would just /who the map's zone, and Oh hey! There's a mage here, so XXXX won't rot!....nope, sorry he's level 4. It used to make new players' day when they'd get to scoop some awesome random rot loot. It doesn't hurt the game any, and it's a good chance for guilds to give something back to the community. Lotta <DB> wouldn't get to see some pretty cool content and phats if it wasn't for scumming into a raid they had no business being in.

-Removing this rule would also increase player interaction, I say this because I feel it will come up. I guarentee loot is rotted before random 65s (who are probably more detrimental to the raid fight than the lvl 8 who will sit in the corner like a good boy) are invited to loot it. Most of the people I know would rather give that rotting Flamestrike Mace to some random lvl 3 warrior than some random 65 whatever...it's just the way we roll!

I've probably missed several points here, and I hope people will post and fill them in as they come to them. But tl;dr - can we please remove the no scummy alts/random people rule? Or if not, can we please justify it?

Last edited:
People would scam their level 1 alts into tier 8+ raids. It happened before. It'd happen again.

The line has to be drawn somewhere or not at all. You could consider "just need level 65" to be a really lenient compromise.

That paragraph about this "time-honored tradition" is something you recall with fond nostalgia. Is there something genuinely special about those times some random noob gets some item they may never replace during an event they weren't able to fully appreciate? Yes, but those times are just eclipsed by "oh man, loading my level 12 fishbot to get that gear for my Fomelo e-peen" occurances.

I suppose some clarification for the specific case of Tmaps may be in order, though.

Is scamming a level 1 into a tier 8+ raid really that bad though? I mean, they would get better stats from cloth headpants by 500% =\

Even the lvl 12 fishbot with fomelo e-peen....I don't see anything detrimental there. I don't see any exploitation or game-breaking gear-ups going on there. Just someone enjoying the game in their own lil way.

So far the only reason for the rule I've seen is, in essence, just to be a wet blanket. Especially considering it's still fine to take a lvl 1 to a 65 xp zone or dungeon and loot pristines or soak xp. =(

Last edited:
For what its worth I can completely agree with this. I remember some of my best guild times were when Dimmi was in Iron Monkey Tribe ( later renamed Scourge ) with me, and were taking fresh 65 it close to it, and busting out 10+ tmaps a night just to gear up members, knowing myself, him, a few.kthers woyld mot benefit from this at all aside from interaction with guild members.

I don't see how raiding should be much different. If the raid can be managed with 14 characters, and some friends of the other members/ alts want to grab some rots it should be fine. The purpose is to work together and take out the target, enjoy the interaction with friends, etc.. A requirement on who must be there, how geared he should be, hpw experienced he is shouldn't be a limiting factor for anyone if someone is willing to pick up his slack ( even if it means a lvl 8 human wizard picking the lack of dps drunken dimmi puts out :p ).

Especially considering it's still fine to take a lvl 1 to a 65 xp zone or dungeon and loot pristines or soak xp. =(

Allielyn said:
Out-of-Raid looting

This rule applies to normal targets as well; camping your alt while you duo a named so your alt can get 'pristine' droppables or 'no drop' items will get your items revoked and your player may be banned.

**Actively helping means your character is there, with the rest of the raid, doing the raid thing with the raid target. We have discretion on ruling here though, so don't think we will accept that your level 30 alt bard in your Yashira raid is 'actively contributing'. Other than that, being on the target's aggro list is a fair clarification and may be considered among other factors.

I'm surprised you missed this given it has been posted for more than a year. This is one of those rules which could end up with a banning at your level (read: at the point where you have been around long enough to *KNOW* better and be found in clear contempt of the rules.)

he never said anything about having the alt camped o_O

I actually had a question about this. While I see the intention here, is it alright to have an alt camped out and to solo (read: 1 character) a mob then log the alt in to loot something? While this is ver nit picky I know, I think that the policy as it stands favors those who can 2 box if this isn't allowed. For clarifaction i'm talking about a level 65 character being camped out.

To the above two posts: "Actively helping". Having your level 3 bard play Jaxan's Jig o' Vigor doesn't count and allow him to loot a pristine Token of Living Lava.

The spirit of the [NO DROP] and [PRISTINE] code is not difficult to understand.

I didn't know SoD changed their rules on buying/selling accounts and items at all? When did this happen, as I've petitioned in game and a DM must have read it because it didn't sit in waiting queue long, and since I couldn't get an answer in game perhaps someone would like to answer me here.

But I stumbled across this website for selling game accounts and such, www.realpoor.com

There are people listing character names and accounts on there.. why aren't all these people banned outright?

Now I know you guys know, I'm not stupid and neither are you.

So.. answers hmm?

Can you post a link to the listing you're talking about? I am not familiar with that site but with searches for "shards of dalaya" "dalaya" and "sod" I see a single thread, closed, four years old, wherein a person asks to buy a char and is told it's not allowed.

You can't sell characters or accounts. Period. For IRL money or platinum or sexual favors. I don't know if there is an official ruling on selling character names, but I would lean towards no. You can only sell in-game items for in-game money.

When we catch you, we will ban the sold account, and probably any additional accounts associated with both the buyer and the seller.

Last edited:
Thank you for the swift reply, I would continue to watch other sites such as this periodically.
I know what I saw, but upon running a search for "SoD or Dalaya" the only posts I see are the ones you mentioned in the last post. I hate to think someone could react that quickly, maybe its just bad luck or timing on my part :[

Well thank you once again for the speedy response. I'll be sure to PM any further details I uncover rather than post openly.

This question is in response to a topic in the raid policty thread: (sorry for the bad quoting!)

"18 characters and only 18 characters-

You may have only 18 characters actively benefiting a raid at any time.

After a wipe, you may NOT log in a 19th person to fill a class role that is not present on your raid. I.E. No logging in a bot mage to DS/mod rod while you rebuff. Swapping in a mage and swapping him back out afterwards is not a clever way to get around this. This also means logging in a 19th person to rez the raid is disallowed.

You may have more than 18 people in the zone ONLY IF they are coming to replace someone that is leaving, and the above rule still applies.

Raid leaders and guild officers this is your responsibility to manage, so it will be you that is punished if this policy is broken."

My question is this. If you are in normal raid zone, and have 13 chars in the raid, is it okay to port up a 14th char to buff your raid, then port him out?

My question: If you have cleared to a boss in a 6-man raid zone and wipe to him, is it ok to FD through the zone to do a corpse recovery and try again?

Example: We clear our way to baphomet in emberflow. We engage him. We wipe. Instead of reclearing, are we allowed to send in a monk or SK with a res pot or a necromancer or even a rogue maybe (anyone who can get here and get people resed) so that we can try the mob once again?

Short version: 'No, not okay'.

Long version: This question is one about 6-man content. As such, it is subject to the raid rules. If you had a similar situation in a raid, you would have to kill the raid trash. Granted, this situation would generally only occur if you were attempting to kill a raid mob that you had cleared to days earlier, but it would be the ruling for such a situation. It's part of the "Content Skipping" clause.

If you managed to camp a cleric or FD a necro or escape a rogue with a resurrection urn, feel free to ressurect your group that way. This would instead qualify as "not skipping content".

If someone did not like this ruling, the obvious next step would be to mention that the Plane of Earth is exempt from this clause and request the same treatment for their 6man zone of choice. While it is up for debate, the current stand is that this situation is one of the perils of Emberflow and Haegra Malath (and other 6man content... kinda... or not really applicable for either side).

ATTENTION -- THERE HAS BEEN A POLICY CHANGE

Out-of-Raid looting
Rewarding loot to players who were camped out or otherwise disengaged during a fight is against the raid rules. Doing so will get your raid leader and guild officers/leaders jailed and/or banned, as well as the character who got loot. This extends to giving level 65 players looting rights from adept mobs. Note that this policy applies even if the raid is the correct size, IE an 18 man raid with one character camped out cannot give loot to the camped (or otherwise disengaged) character. If you want loot, you must be actively assisting the raid during the kill of the mob you want loot from, on the character you want loot on.

This rule applies to normal targets as well; camping your alt while you duo a named so your alt can get 'pristine' droppables or 'no drop' items will get your items revoked and your player may be banned.

**Actively helping means your character is there, with the rest of the raid, doing the raid thing with the raid target. We have discretion on ruling here though, so don't think we will accept that your level 30 alt bard in your Yashira raid is 'actively contributing'. Other than that, being on the target's aggro list is a fair clarification and may be considered among other factors.

The part clarifying the meaning of "actively helping" has now been changed slightly. With the implementation of a coding solution to restrict the looting of corpses of NPCs more than 15 levels higher than you, the "discretion" part is in most situations unnecessary. This does mean that level 55 characters are allowed on raids of level 70 mobs.

There are some raid encounters in-game wherein the loot rewards are dropped from a lower level NPC box rather than the named mob. This does NOT mean that your level 1 Rabb the Rat alt is allowed loot from the box. The level of the raid mob itself is what is to be taken into consideration.

Note: this policy change does NOT change the looting rights for Treasure Maps whatsoever.

Short version: 'No, not okay'.

Long version: This question is one about 6-man content. As such, it is subject to the raid rules. If you had a similar situation in a raid, you would have to kill the raid trash. Granted, this situation would generally only occur if you were attempting to kill a raid mob that you had cleared to days earlier, but it would be the ruling for such a situation. It's part of the "Content Skipping" clause.

If you managed to camp a cleric or FD a necro or escape a rogue with a resurrection urn, feel free to ressurect your group that way. This would instead qualify as "not skipping content".

If someone did not like this ruling, the obvious next step would be to mention that the Plane of Earth is exempt from this clause and request the same treatment for their 6man zone of choice. While it is up for debate, the current stand is that this situation is one of the perils of Emberflow and Haegra Malath (and other 6man content... kinda... or not really applicable for either side).

Is it still content skipping if the rogue can sneak/hide to the corpses? not doing anything shaddy just hiting sneak and hide and walking up to the corpses. ( My thought on this was if you can do it its part of the zone design and an OK thing to do )

Unless there's something I'm missing, then I'd qualify that as "yes, that's okay" under the same ruling as using invisibility or hugging walls.

Back
Top Bottom