Please reconsider stuns in the rear...

It's much easier on SOD than it was years ago when I played on Live. On Live it was "every second of sitting counts!" and that doesn't matter as much here with mana regen.

on live, camping was all you ever did. it was freaking boring.

you'd get your group in oasis killing crocs, and you sat while the puller moved and brought stuff.
you'd get your group in fear killing squidheads, and you sat while the puller moved and brought stuff.
you'd get your group in VP killing drakes, and you sat while the puller moved and brought stuff.
you'd get your group in kael arena killing giants, and you sat while the puller moved and brought stuff.
you'd get your group in ssra killing snakes, and you sat while the puller moved and brought stuff.
you'd get your group in fire killing doomfires, and you sat while the puller moved and brought stuff.
you'd get your group in LoY killing pirates, and you sat while the puller moved and brought stuff.

FINALLY in LDoN did a group move. even then, you'd do the whole instance by moving to 4-5 spots and pulling to there, but atleast it was something.

I love the push in SoD to not have people sit in one spot, and if stuns from behind keep people moving more, god bless, i hope it never changes.

For LDoN groups, I thought the whole idea was to bum rush each mob individually and kill it like woah. Then, as soon as it dies, run to the next one and kill it. Stop when you have to med. Rinse, repeat til you win. If you took more than half an hour, and your cleric/druid/shaman had trouble keeping up, something was very wrong. Tanking wasn't an issue, either, because you just wanted to burn down everything, and it worked. If you were fast and good, you also didn't have to worry about ressing, rebuffing, or multiple adds. It was the best of times, for a while.

For LDoN groups, I thought the whole idea was to bum rush each mob individually and kill it like woah. Then, as soon as it dies, run to the next one and kill it. Stop when you have to med. Rinse, repeat til you win. If you took more than half an hour, and your cleric/druid/shaman had trouble keeping up, something was very wrong. Tanking wasn't an issue, either, because you just wanted to burn down everything, and it worked. If you were fast and good, you also didn't have to worry about ressing, rebuffing, or multiple adds. It was the best of times, for a while.
I think the word you are looking for is 'Gauntlet'

sure, that was part of the situation, especially with the "easy" scenario, on "KILL" quests (there was a "difficult" one and there were also "RESCUE", "GATHER" and "ASSASINATE"....

but the point i was making is, while i appreciate the art form of pulling, I don't appreciate the situation of groups sitting on their butts while one person pulls everything for hours on end. The best non-exploitative XP groups I was ever in on live were in places where the group never moved, and one bard chainpulled for hours. As an enchanter or a priest, I never moved. I'd rarely move 4 feet to move away from one CC'd mob.

Moving is good. Moving feels less like grinding. Grinding is bad.

a group that can grind for hours, and never really have to move from their spot shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. what it should be considered is a blessing. having that kind of stability in your group is great.
constant moving doesnt really hurt melee/ hybrid chars as much as pure casters and priest classes. sure it may be a little more lively, but at the expense of mana regen and such i'd rather sit in one spot.

a group that can grind for hours, and never really have to move from their spot shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

Its still situational, because its not the best approach for some places. If this thread degenerates into a "Change all zones so that a group can sit in one spot and not move while stuff is brought to it" plea the answer will be no.

a group that can grind for hours, and never really have to move from their spot shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. what it should be considered is a blessing. having that kind of stability in your group is great.

Maybe its just my personal ADD, but I'd rather not do that. That sounds incredibly boring.

sure, that was part of the situation, especially with the "easy" scenario, on "KILL" quests (there was a "difficult" one and there were also "RESCUE", "GATHER" and "ASSASINATE".....

Well, even the hard ones we had no real problems with CC, and we still bumrushed everything, even on the rescue, gather, and assassinate ones. The best part of doing that was seeing different scenery every few minutes. Even if you're doing the same thing (like your 14th EF LDoN) you've done before, moving around made it feel a little different each time, with something interesting to catch your attention.

Stuns from the rear will not be changed, for the reasons outlined above by other staffers.

Don't know if i can change your mind or not, but an idea would be to make stuns from behind able to be triggered if the player is hit for atleast 1% of the players hp or something like that. Seems a bit stupid to be stunned when hit for 6 points or dmg when the player has 8k or whatever. This would allow scalability w/ gear and make more since logically(at least imo).

Don't know if i can change your mind or not, but an idea would be to make stuns from behind able to be triggered if the player is hit for atleast 1% of the players hp or something like that. Seems a bit stupid to be stunned when hit for 6 points or dmg when the player has 8k or whatever. This would allow scalability w/ gear and make more since logically(at least imo).

it is totally and completely logical, and makes an incredible amount of sense to me. but if the current non-logical thing that is happening is mantaining the balance that the staff wants... then i don't see changes immenent.

It already scales with gear as I have already posted - stun resist and dodge mods. The argument that it should scale with gear is nonsense because it already does. I think the real issue you have with the current system is that your stun resist isn't checked against an opponent's stun ability (or w/e). If there was some kind of new stun avoidance ability which was more effective against weaker foes I think it should come in the form of new tomes or a new advance item effect and not just be based on tanking stats. I still don't think there is much need for a change though.

Dodge works from the rear, block parry riposte do not.

I also don't see what is 'goofy' about it, don't get hit from behind if you don't want to be stunned.

I wish it was that simple, but when a mob is on your healer, you have to run over to the mob, and get it off the healer.

In SoD, doing so, you have to make sure you dont run with your back to the mobs, cause if you do, you end up stunlocked, and you just made bad worse.

So you have to cirlce the mobs, run backwards to the healer, while praying he is still alive while you take countermeassures against this stun madenes...

As a Paladin the fix can be, just make sure you can see your healers at all times, and if they get aggro, target the mob, and do aggro spells, but this doesnt change that stuns in rear are so unbalanced, that it makes green mobs dangerous.

But im the only one who doesnt enjoy this feature i guess :(

Honestly, you guys are overreacting to the stuns in the back a little.
I know when i am healing and i get agro I try to run to the tank if i can so that he can find the mob easier and use ae taunt/ blind to get it off of me anyways.

As far as it goes with monks, our guild monk hardly ever dies to stuns in the rear, its more often than not a mob doing a late swing or nuke or a fd fail that kills him.

Really only paladins are the only ones who usually tank mass amounts of mobs where the rear stun can get bad.

Besides with the loss of mitigation from the rear anyway a tank should never even want to get from behind in the first place.

I wish it was that simple, but when a mob is on your healer, you have to run over to the mob, and get it off the healer.
If you have so many mobs that you are stunlocked and your healer can not manage a single mob on them, you should be looking for CC. Healers themselves can throw root, pet tank, or pop DA to help them. Nonetheless, if you are getting stunlocked trying to run to help anyone in your group you need to probably decide to stand a bit closer to eachother.

Look I don't see what the problem is.. I pull 6 LB mobs on a Shaman or a MAGE to PBAE them with no tank around and get hit from behind... yep get stunned sometimes, that's just how it goes... but only very rarely do I die... if you're dieing enough from rear stun that it's a problem, you should change tactics I'd say.

Look I don't see what the problem is.. I pull 6 LB mobs on a Shaman or a MAGE to PBAE them with no tank around and get hit from behind... yep get stunned sometimes, that's just how it goes... but only very rarely do I die... if you're dieing enough from rear stun that it's a problem, you should change tactics I'd say.

apparently some people have difficulty discerning between "tactics" and "a work around" and refuse to change.

The idea to require 1% of HP to stun, or even .5% makes sense to me and seems pretty cool but I still don't think it's even worth complaining about in 99% of situations.

Back
Top Bottom