Please reconsider stuns in the rear...

Snake

Dalayan Elder
Its very hard to be a puller on SoD, duo to the stuns in the rear. Often you just get stun locked, can't move, cant cast, can just die.

As a paladin what i often do is pull the lot, then cast AE stun, and pray that it lands on all, or that i don't get stunned when i turn to run back to the group.
If in open area i often just face the mobs, and run backwards the whole way.

Even on single mobs i use my AA stun to give me a 1 second head start, but mobs can run thru walls, so they often catch up, and the stun madness begins.

In Water its just insane as you cant run backwards, so you have to turn your back to the mobs, and your toast.

I really think that only bash and perhaps kicks from mobs should stun, and not every attack they land in your rear (or 25% chance or how ever its coded).

Not my place to design the solution, but i do think there is a problem.

i think it just adds an extra degree of difficulty to the higher end of the game. i've gotten upset about it in some circumstances, and cursed that it should be taken out... but if it actually were to get taken out, i think it would just make it stupid easy pulling. I mean if we took out something every time someone complained that it was hard, we'd be like EQ live or WoW.
There are things in the game that are hard or agitating for a reason. It makes you think about what you have to do, adapt, and over come. makes you better as a player having to deal with issues like this.
Not my places to make changes, however im just backing the other side of this coin.

You'll need to come up with a better reason for there being a problem than "It's hard"

I didn't say it was hard, i said it made it impossible (at least in water).

Even green mobs can take you out when they are in our back.
When i do the 4th Newport ring, first off i pull all the trash mobs, from goal to start, and Paladin AE them.
When i pull all these, i have to time my movement very carefully, cause if i turn my back to the angry mob while they are ready to swing, I'm in serious danger of getting stun locked.
These mobs were easy for me at level 35, but enough of them, and in my back, at 65 with 200+ aa's (still crap gear) i can die, and not just die, die with out a chance of doing anything.

Stuns have always been a part of EQ (and should be), and has always been a challenge (and annoying), but on SoD your doomed, you cant excape, not even a bouch of green crap heh.

So IMO its not just something that makes the game harder, it makes it a death trap. But if that is intended like that, well sucks to be the puller.

Oh BTW Vicent your link triggered my anti virus program...

Last edited:
The issue I see with the mechanic is that it's based on IF you're hit, not how HARD you're hit. So if a mob hits 5 times a round for 40 damage (like the stupid fish in Kedge) they have a much higher chance of stunning you than say, Corefire would. Which is broken IMO.

I didn't say it was hard, i said it made it impossible (at least in water).

Even green mobs can take you out when they are in our back.
When i do the 4th Newport ring, first off i pull all the trash mobs, from goal to start, and Paladin AE them.

perhaps try pulling fewer of them at a time??

I think the reason to this is to keep monks pulling. Monks have that stance where 'the attacker is never behind' so they can't be stunned using this stance like other classes.

perhaps try pulling fewer of them at a time??

Yeah or i could just kill them 1 at the time....

But that was not the point. The point was that this stun in the back thing is so broken that it even makes a bunch of green mobs a death trap.

Perhaps i should clarify that i dont think that there should be no stuns in the rear, i just dont think it should be as massive as it is now.

Even if you halfed the stun ratio, it would still be hard, and that stance would still be nice.

The way it is now, it's not a good idea to tank lots of guys with your back. I don't think it needs to be made easier. Honestly it's not hard to adjust your strat to the zone to avoid this. Nothing requires you to pull with your pali, especially under water.

The way it is now, it's not a good idea to tank lots of guys with your back. I don't think it needs to be made easier. Honestly it's not hard to adjust your strat to the zone to avoid this. Nothing requires you to pull with your pali, especially under water.

Uh, Kedge exp groups?

have your group follow you instead of trying to swim up a narrow tunnel with 3 piranhas on you and you won't have nearly as many problems with stuns from the rear.

How about don't pull or don't pull with your pali?

And just who would you have pull in a group with one tank, and no monk? :psyduck:

Not every group has the luxury of an FD puller, and they shouldn't be punished by this stupid mechanic because only one class has a style to deal with this. And kedge also isn't the only zone with this problem, any zone with bad pathing (see: Planes) and mobs that hit for multiple times in the same round have this issue.

And again, I'm not saying the fact that there ARE stuns from the back is stupid, I'm saying the fact that it's based off if you're hit, not how hard you're hit, is stupid.

Last edited:
Yeah i'm not an idiot, i know what i can do to reduce the chance of getting stunned in the back, but the point still remain, that stuns in the back are so unbalanced that i have to do all what you suggested, and perhaps more, to avoid not getting stun locked.

Point is that its so unbalanced that i have to do this. Can't set up a camp and pull to there, well i can, but chances are i get caught and get stun locked dead.

Also this problem is especially bad because of the mobs not pathing. If mobs where pathing, i could just aggro and out run them. But any wall or what ever i have to pass, the mobs just run right through, and will usually catch me, and stun lock me.

Again, i'm not saying i want SoD mobs to never stun me, the way stuns work in the front might even be to soft, and should be made tougher.
But the way they stun in the back is ridiculously hard, so hard its often death with no chance.

i see what you're saying about the back stuns being annoying, and i dont think we're all trying to gang up on ya for suggesting it be fixed. so dont be discouraged from posting suggestions in the future. we have just been around for awhile and just got used to the way things are now. you know what they say, the older you are the less you like change. *shrug*

And just who would you have pull in a group with one tank, and no monk? :psyduck:

Not every group has the luxury of an FD puller, and they shouldn't be punished by this stupid mechanic because only one class has a style to deal with this. And kedge also isn't the only zone with this problem, any zone with bad pathing (see: Planes) and mobs that hit for multiple times in the same round have this issue.

And again, I'm not saying the fact that there ARE stuns from the back is stupid, I'm saying the fact that it's based off if you're hit, not how hard you're hit, is stupid.

Pulling every mob to one location is not the only way to play. If getting your pali killed pulling is such a big problem stop doing it. Not many have a serious problem with the current stun effect; if you cut it in half you might as well take it out all together.

Uh. You seem to be mistaken as I don't play a paladin, and I certainly don't need tips and advice on how to pull Kedge from you. I know how to play, and how to pull underwater and things like that, I'm just some-what supporting this dudes request. I don't want the stun from the back issue cut in half, I want what causes stuns from the back in the first place to be looked at.

Stuns from the back don't only affect pulls, either. They can mess up all sorts of things.

There are already ways to improve your resistance to back-stunning in the game. When you are leveling your dodge and defense skills increase which help you avoid hits from the back. After you hit 65 you get stun resist AAs and stun resist gear to reduce this effect. You want AC to help stun resist as well – I don't think there is any reason to do that.

Back
Top Bottom