Planar Gemstones: bugs and feedback thread

lets just say this isnt the first encounter ive told shitty boxers to sit a toon out till the end.
lets also just say that the fact that im able to this so frequently shows this games powercreep has hit all time highs.

which makes me sad, ive always told new people "this is the hardest version of everquest you will ever play" and this statement has been slowly dwindling since 2.5 came out.

Charm pets in thaz (and basically every other zone) are much too powerful and need to be toned down significantly. I thought the enchanter change was for them to have a more engaging play style. Now they just charm, get it enhanced, send pet to attack, spam their non-chromatic nuke, curse, and dampen. Before they’d have to actively weave AOD/boon and really work to achieve their dps, now it’s basically passive and not much work?

FTFY: a fresh 65 enchanter with charm pet is what carries these maps hard

Really that's interesting. First of all, issues with the class aside, I don't think I've ever seen a truly fresh 65 carry a map. Assuming everyone does the color wheel properly, there's still a pretty high likelihood of that fresh 65 getting wrecked elsewhere in the fight. The same holds true in many thaz mechanics. But I guess what you're trying to say is that charm pets are too strong...

OK, well you might be right that charm pets do insane dps now.

Maybe we should consider scaling the dps on charm pets then. Before the enchanter changes, (when you were bonding / AODing 3 or 4 people) enchanters would get a lot of mileage out of codex of power, focus effects, caster dps tomes, etc. Now that we lean in on charm so hard, there are not anywhere near the same number of ways to scale damage, so a fresh 65 could THEORETICALLY "carry" a fight like this. OK, so why not apply a general scale factor to charm pet damage based off of the power bonus score, and then further pass through gear (critical strike, haste, focus effects) as well as melee and caster tomes? That will make it so that fresh 65 won't do the same kind of pet dps as someone more geared and more experienced. Just because the pet is powerful, doesn't mean the fight itself is bad - there are a lot of systemic things in play here, but the fact is that Fuwok's content has been some of the most fun that has been produced for this game in quite awhile.

Charm itself isn't inherently a bad thing, but it's atrocious to balance as it's setup right now, and it's not engaging because enchanters don't have charm support spells. If you want to just reduce the effectiveness overall and not add support or scaling, I'm sure most enchanters would trade a flat decrease in pet damage for a 2nd Bond / AOD target and some of the old interactive play style. Maybe even throw in cascading bond AA as a passive or clickable ability.

Last edited:
enchanter charm pets were added recklessly, at this point they all need scaled down to spires charm pets or they need completely removed.

enchanters bring so much to a raid theyre on bard lvls of god tier support. so yeah fuck them being able to parse 4k on magma shits stupid.

I think people should probably beat this fight again and see how it goes.
im assuming from this statement you have made the fight harder which was my overall goal yesterday. sorry shitty naked alts you cant get in to loot t15 items anymore. (you probably still can)

I understand farming and progressing hard content and to have your items nerfed, and then new/better items come out on easier content. If the fight is too easy or the items too strong, then it needs to be addressed. If this is the case, the best bet is to increase the difficulty one step and tone down the items one step.

So far this is what we have talked about:

1) Re-reviewing some old loot that is harder to obtain that we nerfed. Specifically Eos, maybe removing the hard to balance dot portion of spectral spike and retuning it.

2) The planar map will get increased in difficulty. I saw a parse with two charm pets doing 1900 dps. This is no bueno.

3) The items were tuned to be 14.5 from what I was told. I’d imagine a few of them need to be toned down. I think the ability to farm these maps outside the normal spawn cycle should have the items favoring slightly weaker.

Right now I am working on finalizing our ranger patch. Our test server is down so Juff needs to walk me through parsing. It takes a bit of time to set up a character. I tested all the skills, applied fixes, and now I need to price all the books and add them to vendors. Vendors need to be made also. There also seems to be some core issues with our last rolling restart I need to look at. So I we won’t be able to get to this right away.

I think there can be a good solution that most parties agree is fair.

There seems to be some misconception that since we are able to do the fight successfully, that it's "too easy" and the loot should be nerfed.
none of this is about you its about the content, thats the only misconception i can read from your edited post

A bit of map rebalance was done last night and this morning.

This includes:
Increasing the color wheel penalty / improving the way color wheel works.
Rhaddum will remove all his debuffs during the absolution to make room for whatever absolution request he makes.
Charmed imps have less hp and do less dps.
Imp-based mana regen is greatly reduced.

1) Re-reviewing some old loot that is harder to obtain that we nerfed. Specifically Eos, maybe removing the hard to balance dot portion of spectral spike and retuning it.
im glad un nerfing some of my loot was talked about, would be cool if anyone in my guild wanted to loot a spike or a stave again.

Imp-based mana regen is greatly reduced.
this is huge, maybe i wont go into 20% at 100% mana on my cleric healing the tank group

now when i loot items from this mob its likely to be more satisfying and not "hey i upgraded my verdict and it doesnt do dmg to me or drain my mana, oh did i mention i can use my shield too and get bash dmg?"

One person's opinion should not change the entirety of the loot table from these maps. There should absolutely be input from everyone that is doing them. Resurgum has been doing them and succeeded, but we were already doing Ix successfully, which is a t14 fight. Therefore getting t14 loot from planar maps seems equivalent. We also have been in contact with Fuwok regarding many of the items we've obtained, discussing balancing issues and where it fits given the difficulty of obtaining them. There seems to be some misconception that since we are able to do the fight successfully, that it's "too easy" and the loot should be nerfed. We are absolutely putting in effort and clearing it because of our ability and the progression we've made into silent halls, despite the obstacles. Gear checks. AA checks. Etc. We meet these criteria and for some reason nerfs are being called for? Removal? Why? Is there some reasoning that says the difficulty means other guilds should not obtain loot when there are silent halls bosses that are down, despite the fact that we are more than capable of learning and executing the strats to take them down? Being able to obtain other loot that is on tier and doesn't rely on catching a spawn up is a great thing and gives raiding guilds more things to do than sit on their heels, hoping to catch something up. These maps were a fantastic idea.

Veloris Innova

having to backfarm content that is easier and provides upgrades (especially when previously better items are nerfed) is a huge source of frustration thats happened a lot over the years. Its especially frustrating considering every boss in SH and upper thaz has been nerfed since its original iteration (thaz especially with the 15% spell damage nerf due to the mots fix, the content was tuned with the assumption mots etc was working) and new stuff feels easier than post-nerf content.

having to backfarm content that is easier and provides upgrades (especially when previously better items are nerfed) is a huge source of frustration thats happened a lot over the years. Its especially frustrating considering every boss in SH and upper thaz has been nerfed since its original iteration (thaz especially with the 15% spell damage nerf due to the mots fix, the content was tuned with the assumption mots etc was working) and new stuff feels easier than post-nerf content.
thaz never getting adjusted after the mots fix is about as sad as the state of these gemstones until today!

thaz never getting adjusted after the mots fix is about as sad as the state of these gemstones until today!
That should be fixed. I converted all the scripts to use the correct spell damage function, so probably my fault.

That would be 1.1765 spell damage. Not considering dampening

sorry to cause you any grief fuwok but its my opinion and since nothing was being done i had to speak up.

i dont like doing the maps coupled together with literally everyone(yes even toons with every item possible equipped) are asking me to farm things i dont find enjoyable. since the fight is being made harder maybe i can enjoy it now.

if you guys want instances then ask them to put in instances. not trivial tmaps that drop bis gear, its actually cringe the amount of gaslighting being attempted.

p.s armoer bp is still far too strong, i think fuwok actually buffed it when i asked him to nerf it.
You know what I want, content I can do that I don't have to reorganize my entire life around to steal the timer on essentially the only dungeon left in the game. So...yes, I'd like some instancing if that would accomplish that goal. Maps can fill that niche. I like having fun killing pixel monsters with my friends not measuring epeens on who can get the least sleep and do the most off night raiding to steal timers.

That being said, I am super excited that anyone is still making content for the server and thank Fuwok and co for doing so. Thank you.
Since we are doing hot takes, here is one. You said that you donlt like doing these maps...SO. DON'T. DO. THEM.

Maybe the power level SHOULD be looked at of some items vs difficulty of the maps, but just coming in here and spreading feces around, all you are going to do is make devs NOT want to make content and people NOT want to play.

Personally its NICE to have items that are an alternative to SH/UT etc, having a new place to get loot is 'fun' and if everything were just strictly inferior, then no one would do the maps.

Last edited by a moderator:
its been 5 months and im attempting to get the hole in the ceiling patched up, sorry i hurt your feelings dougie.

i was trying to not do them btw thats acutally the entire reason for this post, instead now im excited to do them.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in the discord but if you do this event going forward please let me know your thoughts.

If you want to message me and I am around I will try to watch.

Back
Top Bottom