Paladins + Shields

Going to do some parsing today, hopefully get some solid numbers to show how much block blows!

Grab a couple healers, find a mob that can beat on you for about an hour, have your healers keep ya up, and just keep aggro on you. figure out how often you block and how much damage less it does to you due to block.

I'm going to parse with the an 80ac shield, and a 15ac shield, for an hour each, so far the numbers (on a LB mob, so its nothing im going to use in my data) really, really suck.

Mythryn said:
I'm going to parse with the an 80ac shield, and a 15ac shield, for an hour each, so far the numbers (on a LB mob, so its nothing im going to use in my data) really, really suck.
Thats why I said shields were situational use at best :\

Mythryn said:
Being proven wrong doesn't make me unhappy, having a shitty ass AA like Shielding Mastery does.

Having an 80 ac shield that doesnt work + the aa i spent in shield mastery wasted pisses me off . At this point im constantly using staff and shield but if im not getting the 120 ac from my shield as i should id rather get a nice 2hander and only use my shield for certain raid situations.

What are you complete idiots babbling about?

A shield gives:

1) The AC it has
2) The AC it has * 2 in block skill

Shielding Mastery only increases 2)

Wiz said:
What are you complete idiots babbling about?

A shield gives:

1) The AC it has
2) The AC it has * 2 in block skill

Shielding Mastery only increases 2)

When that other information was given, why wasn't that information shown as wrong before?
sp4mm clearly stated that shields do not give AC. Since no one refuted that from the staff, I believed it.

Hasrett said:
The AC shown in your inventory window is, I believe, a client-side calculation. Just like the one from skill modifiers. I believe wiz stated somewhere that weapon skills have a max 25% modifier. Even though two different +% to h2h or 2hs items don't show any more effect on your attack in the inventory window than the stronger one, server-side you are getting a greater effect, and that's what counts in trying to hit a mob.

Likewise, with the AC from the shield, you're seeing some preset calculation on your end that isn't identical to the server-side calculation. As I understand it, the AC on the shield gives no actual armor class, but counts triple (or some such) toward block. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it, but that's the way it is.

sp4mm said:
As for the rest of you still speculating over things;

Shield AC does not give AC, it turns AC into block skill x2 -- that's how it works, end of story.

I can't begin to comprehend how you say shields aren't worth it, Bone. If you're fighting something that isn't trivial, chances are the knight's DPS matters jack and shit, in which case a shield is the way to go.

meh, wierd. posting all screwed up. sorry.

Hasrett posted once, sp4mm twice, that shields give no AC, only used as block modifier.

This complete idiot is just regurgitating what your GMs have said.

When Honch use to use the gm stats command to see how much server side AC and HP a player had the AC from a shield was never showing up server side. It might be a good idea to reconfirm that Wiz, I've heard from multiple gm's that shield ac doesn't count it simply helps block skill

Zhak Morris said:
When Honch use to use the gm stats command to see how much server side AC and HP a player had the AC from a shield was never showing up server side. It might be a good idea to reconfirm that Wiz, I've heard from multiple gm's that shield ac doesn't count it simply helps block skill
Yep.
Can we clear this up so that we won't be giving out misinformation?

Zhak Morris said:

That's how it worked back when I played. If it doesn't work that way anymore, I reckon Wiz pulled a ninjachange!

I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this but my word trumps the word of any GM, even honch and spam!

I realize the fact that your word trumps any other GM, I was simply looking for concrete information and since reliable sources were saying two different things I wanted to re-confirm what you had already said.

okay, so how am I a complete idiot for saying something that was true up until some unspecified time when it was ninja changed, when apparently everyone BUT you said it was the way I said it was?
In any case, glad to know which it is now. If you change it back to no AC, it'd be nice to know so we can equip accordingly. Thanks.

The complete idiot part was the ridiculous whining about how shielding mastery is useless and shields do nothing and if you equip a shield you are a traitor to freedom everywhere and so on. Don't feel hit if you weren't part of that parade.

So, for a Paladin, what incentive is there to use a shield instead of a two-hander? Guading Blade style is superior for tanking and two-handers are superior for DPS.

Back
Top Bottom