Paladins + Shields

Aratar said:
So, for a Paladin, what incentive is there to use a shield instead of a two-hander? Guading Blade style is superior for tanking and two-handers are superior for DPS.

This is a valid complaint. I honestly need to give it some thought and run some tests of my own.

Okey I have been told that what I said was irrevelant, and let me break this in simple basis. First, paladins ARE NOT DPS classes, so why are you guys so inclined on being one. Another thing that most 2handers have better ratio than 1handers is your paladin using warrior weapons? most knight only swords have great ratio for the lvl obtained than 2handers. let me bring an example:

Mal'Kyron, Chilling Claymore(2hander)
48 del
56 dmg
+grip of cold proc

got replaced by

Blade of blazing infernos(1hander)
26 del
20 dmg
fire damage 8
+ shield

I tested both swords before on light blue solo and dark blue mobs solo(in velks lab), not parsing but what gave me best results. From my test I noticed that I killed faster with my 1hander than 2hander, most hits from 2handers where in the 50+ 200ish while with the 1handers alot of 30ish to 100ish, not to mention less heals. had more hits for max with the 1hander than the 2hander and alot of misses with 2handers that made it bad for it because the ratio is faster also had more misses but think about agrowise what does the job?. Those where the 2 weapons I had to use for test, note that Lasanth the Alchemist who drops the 1hander is alot less difficult than the lvl 70 giant that drops the claymore. Not to mention there is also Rotblade alot easier to obtain yet time sinker but still alot better ratio than most 2handers. The reason why 1hders for knights are better than those found in weapons for other classes is to compensate for them not having dual weild. 2handers dont compensate for anything and most weapons 2h you can buy on the market are weapons that warriors and rangers can use... Unless you raid then you will find 2handers like I used on example. I dont have hard data to prove that I killed faster with the 1hander, did not do any parsing, but sure it felt alot better results. You can take my observation for what It is and say I dont know anything about the game. but 2handers is like neglecting the AC, the block and stats+agro that help you do your main job as tanking.

Your 2 hander blows, even if it dropped from a harder mob. And you can't really complain without valid parse logs to back you up.

well I think that my 2hander is alot better than what alot of lvl 60- are using. and I'm not the one complaining here just saying that I dont feel that a knight using a shield is as bad as it is being illustrated in the first post compared to a 2hander. Also trying to say that I feel 1hder+shield is the way to go for knight classes because it is makes them more efficient doing their tanking duties, do I need a parser for that or does common sense applys here that more AC+block+faster weapon for agro is better for tanking than a 2hander with more damage? I mean you people are trying to bitch about something that has no credit.

Laksha said:
well I think that my 2hander is alot better than what alot of lvl 60- are using. and I'm not the one complaining here just saying that I dont feel that a knight using a shield is as bad as it is being illustrated in the first post compared to a 2hander. Also trying to say that I feel 1hder+shield is the way to go for knight classes because it is makes them more efficient doing their tanking duties, do I need a parser for that or does common sense applys here that more AC+block+faster weapon for agro is better for tanking than a 2hander with more damage? I mean you people are trying to bitch about something that has no credit.

First, I'm not complaining, I'm suggesting an idea to the developers.

Second, using a shield is not the end-of-the-world for Paladins, but is not as good as a two-hander except in terms of stats.

Third, if you prefer to play your character using a one-hander and shield, that is your preference. However, the added "AC+block+faster weapon for agro" does not mean you will tank better than using a two-hander.

I'm not trying to turn this into a "Bash on Laksha" thread, but did you read (or understand) the previous posts in this thread? It has been validated by Wiz that a Paladin using a two-hander does more DPS than a one-hander. It has been validated by Wiz that Paladins tank better using a two-hander and guarding blade style than using a one-hander and defensive.

Is using a one-hander and shield going to be the end of the world for Paladins? No. But it is not as efficient as using a two-hander in any regards except for stats which is why Wiz stated:

Wiz said:
This is a valid complaint. I honestly need to give it some thought and run some tests of my own.

Mal'Kryon is a decent low-mid level raid 2 hander. We can't all be uber SKs and Paladins like you, myth.

If I have time, I'll parse between it and my 1 hander.

I don't think you miss with your 2 hander any more than you do with your 1 hander. The reason it may feel like that is that when you DO miss, it takes longer to swing again, so it feels worse.
I'd like to add that using a 2 hander if you are MTing makes some sense against a mob that ripostes a lot.

Mythryn said:
I didn't even use it when I was in the mid-level raid game.
What did you use? My SK has had on since level 60 I think. Laksha has one sub 60. Believe me, if I still raided, hell, if I still played, I'd probably have better by now. But for people in non-uber guilds, it's a damned good non-uber 2 hander.

First, you don't even know the story behind me getting it, so shut up thanks. Second, lets stop the derail.

Mythryn said:
First, you don't even know the story behind me getting it, so shut up thanks. Second, lets stop the derail.

Whatever man. I'm not the one telling someone their gear sucks and thus their ideas are invalid. I'll stop the derail that you started right here if you let it go.

he said that my 2hander sucked, but he also forgot to mention that the 1hander I used for example also sucks even more, but I can get faster hits and better stats from it with my shield, and thats why it replaced my 2hander I think I made my point clear. While faster hits= more misses but it also means more hits, and not sure if the same can be said about procs since I seen alot of people posting different formulas about procs, I guess if we knew for certain how procs worked that will have a better idea on what would be best for damage. I really have no idea if procs are based on weapon delays or timed per attack round can't say anything about it, but sometimes a battle can go alot faster depending on how many procs you had. But is kinda derailing here.

The complete idiot part was the ridiculous whining about how shielding mastery is useless and shields do nothing and if you equip a shield you are a traitor to freedom everywhere and so on. Don't feel hit if you weren't part of that parade.
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom