New spells discussion thread.

I'm very happy so far with the concepts for mages. They seem fairly well balanced in respect to benefits and drawbacks of each. But I'll go more indepth (as a side not while I am discussing the numbers, I'm doing so only in general concept, I don't really see a problem with most of the numbers, though I would be remiss to not offer suggestions).

-Elemental Barrage: Casts 4 different DD spells for 400 damage a piece, each with a different -175 resist check for 510 mana, 5.5 second cast

This is an interesting idea, and I like it at the outset. However I do see some possible problems with it. I am a bit confused as to part of the general concept. I'm going under the assumption it's similar to the wizzy 2x nuke, rather than a target based pbaoe. Some benefits and drawbacks do not apply to the latter. There are other assumptions that I'm considering as well to discuss the spell, one of them is that I'm assuming by different dd spells we're talking about different resists. Though it could go the other way and be 4 different magic dd's, I would fail to see the point of that, and it would remove much of the interest from the spell.

Benefits
1) Very slight upgrade to bladewind in terms of damage
2) Massive resist mod almost like a lure, but still resistable.
3) Interesting concept, expanding possible utility.

Drawbacks
1) Slower than bladewind
2) Very slight upgrade in terms of damage to bladewind
3) Acceptable alternative on extremely high magic resist or immune mobs.
4) High mana cost as a general concept due to a higher resist mod and variety
5) Less effective than bladewind on mobs possesing damage immunities other than magic. Provided earlier assumptions hold true

-Runic: Servant of the Elements: Summon multiple pets for 400 mana. (think monster summoning)
Awesome. I <3 monster summoning, as it's extra damage with a good bit of utility and if you use it correctly emergency temporary CC.

-Runic: Elemental Fusion: Pet summon spell for 750 mana
I can see no reason not to be excited about a new pet. I would expect higher stats, damage, tanking, proc, etc from it as a general upgrade. I would hope however as a side not based on the name that it would not adopt the earth pet's rootproc, which has generally been regarded as the most annoying feature of the earthpet, and generally bad, contributing to the lack of usage of the 63 pet of that variety (for a quick and dirty analysis of popularity post just general price of the pets over time has seen the earth pet generally go for less than half of what the others do, including fire which has less hp, a big reason being the root proc, which is found to be annoying in groups and the kiss of death on raids).

-Artifact: Rezadian Blizzard: Target based rain for 1700/wave, destroys targets under level 50, 975 mana, 3 second cast, -20 CR check, requires a reagent.

I'm possibly the most excited about this one. A third type of damage has been lacking from the class from inception. The problems with this can be easily highlighted by any number of zones across tiers and fights such as Cmal 4.2, ToT, Thaz fire wings, Plane of Torment, I'm taking a guess at plane of fire, redsun mines and peaks, emberflow, fire grottos, Cmal itself (high mr), etc. A mage in these places is automatically at a disadvantage in most cases. Obviously Cmal 4.2 ToT, emberflow, and thaz fire wings are the paramount concern. A cold version of our rain provides us with an alternative, and considering the tendency is to chain rains, provides us with an alternative that doesn't put us at nearly as much of a disadvantage as we were previously at in the fire resistant areas (previously one would chain Storm of the Elements and Maelstorm of Electricity in these areas, or manastorm on mobs where the mana destroy component would balance out the extra damage of maelstorm). If this is included with a cold line of buyable and droppable spells as well (a rumor floating about, and one that would make sense), then I think I just had a joygasm for the class as a whole.

A quick benefits v cost list

Benefits
1) Higher damage, gogo double target burst. A good spell for when you absolutely positively kill everyone in the room as fast as you can. On fights that are all about duration, you simply go back to the tried and true more mana efficient rains.

2) A 3rd damage type. More choices is a great thing, and makes the class more interesting.

3) Faster cast time. That's the general progression of our rains. This one would be excellent for particular fights with its extremely fast cast. One of the old beloved spells for many mages is good old trusty scars of sigil. It's fast cast time being the major benefit of the spells. I'm glad to see something else quick in our damage arsenal.

4) Destroy component, that isn't absolutely worthless at the outset. While I'm curious as to what is in store for the reasoning behind it possessing the component if theres a specific reason. If there's not I would think it wouldn't be nearly as much of a benefit, and I'd suggest a mana destroy component in line with our manastorm spell, which never sees an upgrade, or really to my knowledge a previous line.

Drawbacks
1) Less mana efficient than Sun Storm and Storm of the Elements.

2) Reagent required. As long as the reagent is not something insanely costly (diamonds for example), nodrop, or ridiculously rare, I see no problem with this at all. It's a good drawback for an awesome spell.

3) Lesser resist mod than Storm of the Elements, in line with archaic resist mod.

4) High mana cost. Pretty much in line with what I'd expect.

A side note on some other classes spells.

I see a possible huge problem with the pally descent of judgement.

-Descending Judgement: Target based Rain, 300 damage and 1 second stun on each wave, 510 mana, -50 MR check, 1 second cast, 10 second recast

It's a rain. Rains are notorious for hitting the hell out of you if you're anywhere close to them. As any mage can tell you, you get a feel for this very fast. But on a paladin as an aggro spell it could possibly be a very severe problem. If it acheives it's purpose in getting you aggro (which I'm assuming is one of the uses intended for it) from far enough a way that nailing yourself is not a problem, the other waves of the rain are going to be usually wasted, unless you're exactly smack dab on the edge. If you run in instead and cast it on the mob you're hitting to keep up aggro you're definitely going to be whacking yourself with it. Granted I'm making the assumption it is acting as a rain normally would. If it is not and will not hit the pally this problem would not be relevant. In fact I think a rain based aggro spell that would not hit the caster themselves (provided it is not directly targeted on them) is a very interesting mechanic.

Rainbug is also a possible big problem. For those who are unaware of it due to their class lacking rains I'll explain. If you kill a mob with the rain itself on the first wave of it, it has a nasty tendency to retarget itself exactly where you are standing, on you. This could be a problem even if the previous problem of it hitting the caster were fixed, as from what I've seen the spell then chooses you as the direct target. More annoying than critical, but still a big potential drawback, as pallies are going to be generally fighting more than one thing at a time, so it's taking into assumption that all the mobs that were beating on you, are still beating on you.

Other than those I like it. Though I have very limited experience as far as pallies are concerned. I like the idea of most of the spells actually, they seem to have very interesting new mechanics to many of them, rather than the previous tendency for upgrades to just be a default oh you can toss that spell you used to use in 99% of all circumstances, which I'd imagine is a welcome change as far as most people are concerned.

I am now far more excited about Ikisith.

On Live (to be taken with a grain of salt), I think reverse damage shield was healing the player each time he did land a hit, then I think it was changed to each time the mob managed to hit, then it was removed from the game because they were crazy enough to have put it as clicky on the clerics BPs... It was great: we were just right clicking the BP until it would land, send a HoT on the tank, and then watch everyone in the group heal themselves. That was between Kunark and Velious, at the very start of Velious since it got nerfed when we were entering North Temple of Veeshan if I remember correctly.

At the time, and the way they did implement it, it was grossly overpowered (mana free group/raid heal as long as you hit the mob), and thus nerfed.

EDIT: or maybe I am wrong and the effect I am describing had another name, velious was pretty far ago and it was nerfed quick.

reverse DS in live was amazing. It was a good concept, it was interesting, and it wasn't like cleric's were being removed from original role, or having a problem mantaining original roles.

the "mark of" line was what it was called.

good addition imo.

Live still has both forms of what you have been talking about - a mob debuff that heals you when you hit the mob, and a ds that hurts the mob when it hits someone.

I assume this is the latter, from the sounds of the ability.

Personally I'd rather see Paladins get something like:

-Inquisitor's Wrath: 30 range PBAE 2.0 second stun, 450 mana, instant cast, 48 second recast, unresistable, auto casts:

-Inquisitor's Aegis: Self based increase AC by 220 for 12 seconds, decrease attack speed by 55%, increase aggression modifier by 115%

Basically an unresistable low agro AE, with a hefty recast that also grants the paladin a boon to his tanking, at the cost of his melee DPS.

Also note that the Elemental Fusion spell could be something totally different, as the effect that's listed in the parsers (Summon Multiple Pets) has also been used as a code trigger. We'll just have to wait and see!

Last edited:
hRM

-Song of Sustenance: Group wide Food/Drink effect for 1000 mana. Most likely a filler

I'm hoping it is just a filler =) if not thou /cheers for another song that will never be loaded into my spell bar..

Cleric
-Deific Band: Single target 30 point reverse damage shield for 36 seconds, 450 mana cost, 4 second cast time, -50 MR check
-Runic: Sphere of Eternity: Target based PBAE heal for 3400 base, 7 second cast, 2000 mana cost
-Runic: Brilliance of Eternity: Single target heal for 4900 base, 850 mana cost, 3.5 second cast

I think we could use an explanation of Deific Band before futher comments on that.

Sphere of Eternity: This spell is very expensive and will most likely kill the cleric casting it agro wise.

Brilliance of Eternity: Very nice although 4900 base sounds way to huge its basicly very close to a complete heal and complete heal got removed for a reason.

Did you not read the big bold underlined JESUS CHRIST DONT TALK ABOUT THE NUMBERS I posted? They could change at any time, don't QQ.

If sphere of eternity has no target cap it would be awesome for those scenarios where another group needs a heal alongside your own (either because their healer died or because their healer sucks). Too long of a cast time would make it worthless, though.

I'm much less excited about Brilliance of Eternity because it looks like a huge heal for huge mana and, with how good relic light is, it seems like Brilliance is trying to fill a niche that doesn't really exist. A huge quick heal for huge mana might be more useful but would probably be overpowering.

Deific brand could be a neat situational spell regardless of whether or not it hurts the mob or heals melees.

yeah mana regen? what a waste of a song!

ah well i read it as supply your group who is without food and water with the effect of having food and water while it ticks.. costs 1000mana

Cast on you: Just say NO to food and water

Cast on others: Someone under effect of blah blah

Wears off: You need food again
lasts 7 ticks for 1000 mana cost with 100 range so double melody range..

care to repost Tyrone?

Last edited:
I just saw two posts mentioning spell related numbers on top of Rat's, didn't seem less or more QQ than his. Let's not turn this into a Chillville's maybe.
Otherwise yeah PBAE heal might be a load of aggro.

My post is not about numbers its about the concept of a new real big heal

Yours wasn't the only post that mentioned numbers, it was just the post before mine. And when you say 'very expensive' and '4900 sounds way too huge', it's sort of gives off this whole numbers feel.

Sphere of Eternity: This spell is very expensive and will most likely kill the cleric casting it agro wise.

It looked to me like an 'Oh my god we're all going to die FUCK FUCK FUCK CAST THIS SAVETHERAID SPELL' kinda thing.

Granted you might not always have that kind of mana while you're trying to save a raid, but I won't complain about a situation PBAoE heal.

The reason I like the spell rune is it gives rangers an active role in keeping the pets alive - as well as a use for their mana.

The buff is just a click and release sort of thing that really has no thinking attached.

I know the numbers aren't final, but the problem w/ a straight spell rune is that it absorbs all dmg. if a grp takes 4AEs, it needs a grp heal. If the pet runes off 2 and takes 2, the pet is at 70%hp and the grp heal would have topped them off had they taken the AEs. Plus the pets raid wide have to do equal or more dmg than the ranger would have A) had he dpsed through all the times that he casts on a raid and B) the dmg he could have gotten from casting icerend instead.

Point being, it would be stupid to make a 5k spell rune for pets. They would just catch some grp heals and it wouldn't matter. Adding a %chance to avoid the AE while the rune is actually on, would help there to not be a monotonous every 30 sec cat rune. it would require the player to better analyze the situation and say well there are only 2 pets w/o rune, i am better off dpsing. It also helps to make the spell more commonly used instead of if the numbers are too weak a oh shit we are about to wipe how about i try and keep the pets alive for these last 3% ordeal.

Also the percentage to avoid helps the spell to maintain a use as one progresses throughout the tiers and the AEs get so big that the rune is ineffective anyways.

The inevitable effects of this change would allow the spell to be more interactive, but lessrequired to cast and thus reduce the draw from the requirement to dps.

Edit: 1 other consideration that is not listed is the range of the spell. Im assuming the cast is a pbae w/ X range. The range needs to be roughly 225 to make this spell even worth casting in some fights, because if the ranger is using a bow to avoid an AE(one of the main considerations is flame talon wing) running in isnt always the smartest. Thus meaning that a the spell wouldnt be used even though it is THE optimal time to use the spell. (As specific as i can be w/o giving away strats)

Last edited:
It's food and drink for 1000 mana cost. Not eactly that great but tbh it's way better sounding than the live counterpart

so it will provide your group with food and water spam'd into their bags?
or just while you sing it the fact they have 0 in their bags is fix'd by the song

I'm much less excited about Brilliance of Eternity because it looks like a huge heal for huge mana and, with how good relic light is, it seems like Brilliance is trying to fill a niche that doesn't really exist. A huge quick heal for huge mana might be more useful but would probably be overpowering.

I see little point to cast such as massive heal. One LoE heal (which costs far less mana) will generally heal your target enough so that you can easily cast an Althuna's Remedy again before the tank goes down. Additionally that gives you 2 chances to crit a heal. Critting a Brilliance of Eternity wouldnt really do anything for you, as its going to heal for 10-12k at the high end.

The spell is also very attuned to the high end, no lower teir clerics will need to cast this because their tanks just flat out don't have that much HP, and relic will suffice. A super low teir, non-relic cleric may use this just for the fact that it heals a massive ammount... a burst heal if you will.

At the high end, it may also be used as a burst heal if you are literally the last cleric with any mana, and you have to keep up your tank. But given the high rate of mana regen, the assortment of clicky heal/mana regen items, etc. I doubt that will be the case.

As far as kazimir's post:
I think he's trying to say that in order for it to be effecient for him to cast this, the pet has to do more dps because it stayed alive than what he could have done if he kept dpsing the mob.

I believe he is also trying to make the point that the spell is super situational. The pet has to be taking more AE dmg (in terms of % hp) than the group, otherwise the group is going to get healed prior to the pet dying regardless. Thus casting the spell on a pet that would have lived anyway, is a complete waste of time/mana.

Let's not forget that Brilliance of Eternity is a Runic spell, which I'd think would only be available to fairly high tier characters. By the time one gets to it, it's probably going to be useful for their guild's main tank. Maybe with the new content, you'll need a larger heal to prep for an Althuna's Remedy, or just have to change this tactic completely, who knows? These numbers are important in showing that a crit may be unimportant just give another drawback showing the inefficiency of the spell compared to others

Having said that, it would be really nice to know the developer's intended usage for the spell. I just don't expect to know until we actually see the raid content.

Back
Top Bottom