New PC, Windows 10, SOD runs like poop

If you are unsure, do a quick google search for video card rankings or benchmarks, and then check for the one you see listed. I used to have a really good site for that, but it seems it was saved on my favorites of an old laptop that fried. :(

Hello,

Has there been any resolution to this issue?

I believe I am having the same issue as the original poster. While playing on my laptop, the FPS is very low. As with the original post, if I turn the UI off (F10), the graphics run very smoothly; when I turn the UI on, it slows back down. My computer has Intel HD 5500 and is running Win 10. Yes, I know that, by modern standards, that is not much graphics power. However, I used to 2 box with decent performance on two 1080 monitors on the first generation HD graphics. I do not accept that this laptop lacks the power to play SoD.

I normally play on my desktop, and so I may simply not play on my laptop until the 2.5 client.

Cheers,
Ayste / Gund

P.S. All who helped make SoD a thing...you rock. Just felt I needed to add that.

Do you use the Default UI?
It might be a custom UI that is throwing out some conflicts.

you could rename your UI folder and do a repatch
and use the default UI and see if it changes any...

@Pecannius - Different bind settings didn't seem to change much.

@Haenir - In that folder there are 'd3dx9_24.dll' through 'd3dx9_36.dll' and 'D3DX9_37' through 'D3DX9_43.dll'. Why do you ask?

Thanks!

@Haenir - In that folder there are 'd3dx9_24.dll' through 'd3dx9_36.dll' and 'D3DX9_37' through 'D3DX9_43.dll'. Why do you ask?

When I set up SoD on a Linux box I had similar FPS issues and it was problems with those libraries that needed to be fixed. Sounds like you have all the ones you need though. So probably not it for you.

I'm having a similar issue.
Specs: i7-7700k, Nvidia 1050Ti, 16GB ram, EQ is installed on SSD, cpu & gpu temp 34-40C, the build is about a month old and everything works fine, as it should.
I upgraded Win8.1 to Win10 today because my cpu is too new to support Win8 updates and I started getting mouse lag.
The upgrade to Win10 fixed the mouse lag, but now I lag terribly when playing SoD, especially when boxing; I'm getting just a few fps. I tried updating and reverting the drivers back to old, fiddled around with vertical sync, disabled AV and background services (not that it should give me lag with these specs). The beforementioned files are all safe and sound in my windows/system32 dir.

Any suggestions for what to try next?

I'm having a similar issue.
Specs: i7-7700k, Nvidia 1050Ti, 16GB ram, EQ is installed on SSD, cpu & gpu temp 34-40C, the build is about a month old and everything works fine, as it should.
I upgraded Win8.1 to Win10 today because my cpu is too new to support Win8 updates and I started getting mouse lag.
The upgrade to Win10 fixed the mouse lag, but now I lag terribly when playing SoD, especially when boxing; I'm getting just a few fps. I tried updating and reverting the drivers back to old, fiddled around with vertical sync, disabled AV and background services (not that it should give me lag with these specs). The beforementioned files are all safe and sound in my windows/system32 dir.

Any suggestions for what to try next?
Try running as admin, also remove the built in fps throttling built into the EQ client when in background mode.

Running as admin changed nothing, the maxFPS are 100, I also set maxBFPS to 100, and it didn't change anything for better or worse.
My cpu max state is set to 100% (but that should be a problem for cpu intensive games like GTA, not a 20-y-o game). The Nvidia power settings are set to max performance. The screen refresh rate is set to 60Hz.
I'm at a loss of what else to do, since fixes that worked for other people with other games don't work for me. I haven't tried any newer games to see if the problem persists there.

Running eqgame as admin and in compatibility with other versions of Windows also doesn't help, it just crashes the game before it even starts.

If it is just your CPU, something obviously is being processed with no limits. No idea where to go from there.

The first clean installation improved the lag a little, but I wasn't getting all the updates for some reason, so I did another clean install and now it works. 3rd time's the charm, I guess. Thanks for input!

Edit just a little bit later, with no new updates, I lag again... I guess I'm in for one more day of constant rebooting and (un)installing updates and drivers, ugh...

Last edited:
What works so far *knocks on wood* is removing updates and reverting back to Win10 1511 build 10568.873 and running default drivers (not updating to Nvidia ones) for my gpu (driver version 22.21.13.8165 from 31.3.2017).

Hello guys.. I found Windows 10 issue.. no it has nothing to do with gfx, it's a resource issue. Windows defender is the culprit.. but how to shut it down?

Open Task Manager
Expand Antimalware Service Executable
Right click Windows defender service - click open services
and kill that antimalware bastard

I can box now

Win updates could no longer be deferred and now I have lag again. Windows defender, firewall, search are all disabled. Even after setting all CPUAffinity in eqclient.ini to -1, it's still processed by a single core (100% of that core, about 13% total cpu per EQ client). It looks like a lot of people have this problem, and most "solved" it by downgrading to Windows 7. My CPU, however, won't support anything older than this POS Windows 10, and I have other problems in earlier versions.
It's a lot worse when there are mobs or players in my field of sight, so technically I could always just turn my back to everything. But then I couldn't raid. I guess there's no solution for me :/

Edit: Xbox dvr is turned off, vsync is off, gfx settings set to max performance. It doesn't matter if I play at old models, have all filters turned off, clip plane set to minimum, lag is the same. Playing with or without UI is the same, laggy.

Win updates could no longer be deferred and now I have lag again. Windows defender, firewall, search are all disabled. Even after setting all CPUAffinity in eqclient.ini to -1, it's still processed by a single core (100% of that core, about 13% total cpu per EQ client). It looks like a lot of people have this problem, and most "solved" it by downgrading to Windows 7. My CPU, however, won't support anything older than this POS Windows 10, and I have other problems in earlier versions.
It's a lot worse when there are mobs or players in my field of sight, so technically I could always just turn my back to everything. But then I couldn't raid. I guess there's no solution for me :/

Edit: Xbox dvr is turned off, vsync is off, gfx settings set to max performance. It doesn't matter if I play at old models, have all filters turned off, clip plane set to minimum, lag is the same. Playing with or without UI is the same, laggy.
At this point, I'd probably either start uninstalling everything else that is not critical (like windows defender), or try to run the game off of a VM. If you really need help setting up a VM environment, I could potentially assist, but there is a lot of information out there at this point for it.

Back
Top Bottom