Client Upgrade Team is *Back*

With that many devs I'm assuming you don't need more software engineer/coder type volunteers?

If

T
[*]Shit tons of available AAs that frankly I have no idea what we are going to do with.

Then

The current team:
  • Slaariel - Script Converter Guru and The Only Girl Dev
  • Jumbers - Nocturnal Code Dude of Great Repute, Hardware Guy and Repo Manager.
  • Olive - Actually a girl. Tells Jumbers after 30 hours of being awake to go to sleep. A farmer (not a joke) and a coder.
  • Taryth - New Guy - Has Big Code Chops. Laughs at Buttbot in the 3.0 channel *every time*
  • KLS - New Client Expert from EqEmu! Rode to SoD on his White Horse to help us reboot 3.0. Give many thanks.
  • Meyers - Will code something at some point for sure. Semi-colon expert.
  • Zaela - Mistress of all things Lua.
  • Buttbot - Changes what we say in the 3.0 channel into phrases with the word "Butt" in them.
  • Me, Woldaff - Attempts to make up for his complete lack of applicable skills by making over excited posts to try and drum up attention.
  • More to come, especially as the GM team comes aboard once a beta is in place.

...should waste exactly zero seconds working on revamping CoP, unless it is purely in the context of plans for the 3.0 release.

The 3.0 overhaul is a very exciting prospect and I know of a few people who will que up to play SoD again, with bells on, when it becomes a reality. Basically every major complaint I have heard from inactive/quitting players is addressed by these changes. Three cheers for the staff!

This gives a good idea of the changes: http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=ClientFeatures

We are shooting for Underfoot right now, but upgrading to RoF is possible afterward.

Remember, they are talking about things being addition to Titanium. We are a few clients BEFORE Titanium. Lots of stuff they are taking for granted we do not have. We have been focusing on content creation, while eqemu has largely been focusing on client implementation and optimization. We have a long way to catch up on that front.

Just curious, buy why are you guys working to upgrade specifically to Underfoot? Instead of SoF, SoD, or RoF?

Just curious, buy why are you guys working to upgrade specifically to Underfoot? Instead of SoF, SoD, or RoF?

Underfoot is the latest stable client for emulation. When looking at this link that Woldaff posted, keep in mind that upgrades from early clients are included in later ones. So if we upgrade to Underfoot we will have access to everything on that list before RoF. While we do not want to wait until RoF is stable to begin, it will be possible to upgrade to that later. Our current client is from 2003, before Titanium, so this is a huge step forward.

On personal note I am quite excited to be a part of this project! This is a huge undertaking which is months away from completion. Several major technical problems have been worked out, and many steps in conversion have been finished, but there is much more to do. Although I am rather new to the staff (and a GM at that) I was responsible for one of the new Thaz wings, so I learned our scripting languages for that. I also have previous experience with C++ so I hope to be a valuable member of the team.

Underfoot was the most recent expansion until just recently. Their goal was likely to be as current as possible, because who knows when another client upgrade may happen. RoF was just released a few weeks ago iirc.

Even if you do not do anything further, your lua api work made it possible and overcame the perl conversion hurdle that stopped up the last big push for a new client.

So I figured you deserved a mention at the very least. I meant it as an honorific, not a presumption.

I assume since it's an upgraded client that there will finally be mounts? Also, the "Big Two" in eqemu (Peq and Ax) both have bots. Will we have bots?

I was about to say 'please answer no and no"
About bots please no
About mounts I was thinking maybe change coachmasters into a npc that would cast a buff making the character get a mount, which would be like Spirit of Cheetah-movement speed which wouldnt break if you get hit but prevents you from using spells or weaps

Can you offer some context for your objection to mounts and bots? Bad previous experience? Allergies? Something else?

By the way, since not all SoD players are familiar with the concept of bots (its an eqemu thing) I just want to clarify that a bot is a summoned henchman--kind of like a pet, but not quite. They use player character models, you can invite them to a group and they count as members of that group (or raid, for that matter). You can summon several at a time and they automatically do what they are supposed to do in a group fight (e.g., clerics will heal you during a fight and rez fallen members). They are a lot of fun to play with when no one else is online or interested in exping, or when you can't find a specific class you need. What's not to love?

I would be worried it would discourage grouping.
That's possible. Or it might instead encourage the plethora of Athica-step sitters to go out and exp instead of logging after an hour of /ooc-ing in vain for a group. In fact, placing a graduated exp penalty on a group of bots would easily discourage your scenario and motivate a player to actively call out for real-player replacements while exping with his bots. There would be less downtime for everyone.

Making henchman available exclusively to low levels would be relatively simple and could help get newer players through those levels where groups aren't always easy to find. Don't see what the big deal would be.

Making henchman available exclusively to low levels would be relatively simple and could help get newer players through those levels where groups aren't always easy to find. Don't see what the big deal would be.

Because those same people will then later say, "If I could have it while leveling, why not at 65?" Now, that being said, I am not opposed to them at all. They would be a plat sink for gear, and would help those that hate boxxing (like me) to go out and get xp. Also, more "remote" zones, link Mielc, would see more action maybe.

I think bots would take away from the social aspect. It would make it easier for leveling toons due to a lack of groupage, but that's addressing a symptom, not the problem. IMO.

With that said, I would prolly utilize them. Would be cool for casual players who could only play for an hour or two a night. So if they are to be implemented, hopefully they will be quick and easy to hire. But overall, I would rather they not be introduced at all.

I'm not crazy about the idea of mounts, either. But I can't really think of a good reason why mounts would be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom