Adventures In Texture Editing

Some cool finds to share today! While poking around in gequip2.s3d, the file where Velious equipment textures are stored, I stumbled across a number of unused helms. They are interspersed with the Velious racial helms, which is one reason why I believe they were meant to be implemented as race-specific helms that were never seen to completion for some reason. This is sad, too, because some of them look stellar.

As they stand, the textures are in place, the wireframes are in place, and the meshes of the textures to the wireframes are perfect. However, they are unable to be used because, as far as I can tell, there is missing data in this .s3d file's gequip2.wld, leaving the client effectively unaware that these helms exist as helms. :( (I am told the models can be "held" in a character's hand using GM commands, but that obviously doesn't do them justice!)

Nonetheless, they are fun to behold, so here they are for your viewing pleasure.

__________________________________________________​

First up is it535 (item 535 in the database). The textures for this helm include the suffix bam, suggesting it was intended to be the Barbarian male Velious helm rather than the one this race ended up with. It complements the leather polar bear cap nicely, though I admit it does not look as sturdy as one might expect for this fighting race. (For reference, the live Barbarian Velious helm can be seen here.)

it535bam_zps8dd15623.jpg

Next is it536, a somewhat generic-looking helm based on what looks to be the skull of a dragon. Oddly, this one does not contain any transparencies despite having a number of dark regions where transparency could have been employed effectively. Based on the head shape, I am assuming this was intended for male or female Iksar, though the texture bitmaps do not carry any suffix to indicate the race, if indeed the helm was meant to be race-specific in the first place.

it536_zpsd3db63b6.jpg

This is it555, which carries the distinct suffix dwm, indicating that it was intended for Dwarf males. Admittedly, the lop-sided "bucket" helm they did receive (which can be seen here) does look pretty cool, though I am a fan of winged helms. It sports a sleek visor for the eyes and some magic pink regions along the wings which would have shown up in game as transparent. (You'll have to use your imagination.)

it555dwm_zpsdb809472.jpg

Here is it556. It carries no suffix to indicate the race/gender combo it was intended for. Judging by the look of it, I assume it would have been for the Half Elf or Wood Elf, though the head shape seems a bit too squat for those races; maybe it was intended to be for the female Dwarf, as there's a hint of the winged motif seen in the previous image, whose item ID is only one number away. As in it555, there is some magic pink to suggest transparency around the crest at the forehead.

it556_zpsc449224d.jpg

This is it560, whose textures bear the suffix elf, or Wood Elf female. The flesh-colored region at the back of the interior is a bit puzzling, as it would never be seen, though it does match Wood Elf skin tone. The crest at the top and the "tusks" that come down along the jawline would look interesting on the petite face of the Wood Elf female. It would at least allow their face to be seen when worn, unlike the unflattering helm for this race/gender combo ended up with (which can be seen here).

it560elf_zpsbe7e3a6a.jpg

Behold, it625! This one bears the suffix hum, which stands for Human male. It seems to be based on the helmet of a Roman centurion. The interior was even assigned its own blue-green texture to simulate padding, which is unusual, given that this region would not be seen when the helm is worn. This might well be my favorite. :keke:

it625hum_zps1475a861.jpg

Another winged look comes in the form of it626, which also bears the suffix hum to indicate use for the Human male. Lots of magic pink in this one to indicate transparency. (Again, you'll have to use your imagination.)

it626hum_zps27b9e8b2.jpg

Here is it628. No race or gender indication is given. This one uses some colors rarely seen in the game's textures, and I like it. I wonder if the "eyebrows" on the forehead region of the helm would look funny when the thing is worn. :dance:

it628_zps1e4b1f01.jpg

Next comes it629. Again, no race or gender indication is given. This is yet another winged helm with a very shiny, metallic look. The silver against the desaturated gold works nicely.

it629_zps50408018.jpg

Finally, here is it656. The textures carry the suffix trm, which stands for Troll male. The horns on this one would suit the Troll perfectly, and it would be cool to see their googly eyes peeping out from behind those eyeholes. ;) I think I prefer this one over the "skull cage" helm they ended up with (which can be seen here). Still, it is difficult to tell how successful this or any of the others would be without seeing them in action.

it656trm_zps13f7d0a7.jpg

(In case you want to view the other Velious helms or even just the armor textures for each race, check out this EQEmu post. Many do not even realize these textures exist, as Luclin was cranked out shortly after Velious, and the new races were not given Velious texture updates. With fewer and fewer players using pre-Luclin models at the time, the developers stopped assigning Velious texture IDs to new armor, and the beautiful texture sets were left behind and forgotten. :()

I found something else interesting among the Velious helm textures. For whatever reason, the Human male helm shows up in triplicate under the filenames it620, it625, and it627. It turns out that the last of these three is the one actually used in game, so the other two are dummies. If this weren't odd enough, the middle one is actually a full-on palette swap of the helm we see in game. The palette swap substitutes greens in lieu of browns and yellows in lieu of reds. I extracted the it625 textures, renamed them it627, and replaced them in gequip2.s3d to see how it would look in game. The result is as follows, with the live helm on the left and the palette swap on the right:

HumanMaleVeliousHelmPaletteSwap_zpsf106f7e3.jpg

Interesting what a simple palette swap can do; the true Velious helm looks to me to be based on dragons, but the green version with yellow eyes suddenly looks serpent-themed! I wonder what the original intent was....

Several of those helms look to be early versions of luclin helms. The it556 looks a lot like an earlier version of the dwarven male helm on the new models. it625 looks to be what ended up being the high elf male helm after a few tweaks. it626 may have been the base for the wood elf and/or dark elf male helms. it628 is definitely the human female helm. It's possible they were abandoned in favor of starting work on the new models. Cool find! :)

It appears that the King of Ak'anon has finally found a home for himself here in SoD. Hopefully someone enjoyed that! I am excited we were able to use some of the ideas from this thread in the game (and give some fame). Unfortunately, there is no way to add new textures, we must replace existing ones. This means that for a particular zone we must overwrite textures in order to change them. This is a problem for any global texture editing, as it would destroy the original textures. In addition, there is the time investment. I think all the people in this thread must know what sort of time it takes to develop a new or interesting texture. I will just remind everyone that Admin-Slaar is always accepting Dev applications! You could overhaul a zone or zones and see your hard work added to the game for everyone to use!

I was personally inspired by this thread to make new textures for the lizards in Fearstone, during a bug-fix and item revamp there. I think they should look more 'evil' since they have been corrupted by the influence of Kaezul. However, the time it took me to come up with something even halfway decent was amazing. So cheers to everyone in the thread, and if you want to give me any advice or feedback on my evil lizards, here they are:

very nice olive.

on a side note... been trying to change my client side codiar model used from Claws of the Beast to a blue/orange model, but i cant figure out what texture the games pulling up. anyone know by chance?

Olive, those are some mean lookin' lizards! Have they gone live, or were they simply made for fun? I tried pulling up the corresponding textures from Feerrott and did not seem to find them changed there. As you say, there are lots of quirks, shortcomings, and disappointments when it comes to working with the textures for this game engine. Sometimes I've spent upwards of 30 mins trying to find the perfect color palette for a very simple model only to log in and find it looks terrible or inexplicably pixellated when the client renders it! :(

Probably the greatest annoyance is working with a bulk of files that are all color indexed, meaning that I have to manually convert each and every file to RGB format before I can even begin. The result is also that swapping over to non-indexed coloring means that the file size usually grows to several times its original size, even if the changes made are minimal. I also have a feeling that the change away from color indexing is what makes some custom textures, particularly very bright ones, show up as grainy or otherwise lackluster in the game.

very nice olive.

on a side note... been trying to change my client side codiar model used from Claws of the Beast to a blue/orange model, but i cant figure out what texture the games pulling up. anyone know by chance?

I'm sure I mentioned before that they're pulled from global6_chr.s3d. Just to confirm this, I made up what might be termed a "frost co`dair" and overwrote the appropriate files from that .s3d:

GreenandBlueScaledWolf_zpsf4b9538b.jpg

Admittedly, this is a somewhat problematic model because the staff have redundantly inserted wof, fieldofbone_chr into nearly every zone's _chr.txt file despite that this model was already made global with the advent of Luclin or PoP, as far as I can tell. This confused me at first, too, but it looks like you have the file location you were after now. :keke:

Some people have expressed interest in seeing some more lulzy race/gender texture swaps, so here are five I whipped up:

FemaleHighElfwithMaleOgreTexture_zps8e915b36.jpg

Female High Elf with Male Ogre Texture

For some reason, the ears and hair came up as pitch black despite that I thought I had accounted for these texture regions. Nonetheless, the result is pretty horribad, possibly in a "so bad it's good" way. The face and pose make me imagine the poor High Ogre is about to be trampled by Traekoth the Ancient. :toot:

FemaleHalflingwithFemaleTrollTexture_zps2871e75e.jpg

Female Halfling with Female Troll Texture

Slightly less horribad, but still laughable. I made sure to pick the most beautiful face as my subject, naturally.

MaleTrollwithFemaleHighElfTexture_zps7722f29a.jpg

Male Troll with Female High Elf Texture

Oh jeeze, this one. :whoa: Really, the head-on screenies are an optical illusion. The High Elf face texture lines up very poorly with the wireframe of the Troll's face (due to the elongated nose of the latter), and the actual effect can be seen in the top-center pic, where the eyes and brows are stretched awkwardly along the shaft of the nose. Surprisingly, the rest of the body matched up very nicely. :monocle:

FemaleEruditewithMaleTrollTexture_zpse8c1d621.jpg

Female Erudite with Male Troll Texture

I decided to transplant only the face for this one, thinking the sight of a puny male Troll face peeping out from the female Erudite's hood would give a good laugh. The result wasn't quite funny as I expected once I saw it in-game, probably because I realized after the fact that it was similar to the witch model (as seen around the unused Druid ring in Obsidian Shard Mountains). Still, the squished nose from a side angle is priceless! For the record, this Troll face has been my favorite since I first got into the game back in ~2000--those googly purple eyes have the most character out of all the other picks for that race/gender combo.

MaleDwarfwithMaleBarbarianTexture_zpsb0110120.jpg

Male Dwarf with Male Barbarian Texture

Aha! Finally, one that is passable! I admit, though, that this was the only swap I put together actually thinking it would turn out halfway decent. I don't think any other race would work well with the male Dwarf because of the beard factor, so the male Barbarian was the perfect match. Although you might only notice the head at first glance, the armor is indeed also pulled from the male Barbarian's chainmail texture set.

sod seems to have a nasty habit of stretching textures out in awful ways... high res textures could get hard.

weird doesnt wanna work for me... with global_6 textures

Last edited:
The skyrim textures look quite good. Have you thought about doing a texture pack for SoD?

I made a half-complete one for myself for Tur`ruj (Chardok) simply because I hated staring at brown, brown, and more brown whenever I'd raid in Ikisith. I haven't made it available to others, but you can see screenshots of it in this post.

I considered doing a texture pack for Athica A by pulling textures from other EQ zones but even though Felwithe, as it was formerly known, does have some shabby textures here and there, they are about as high in resolution as one can achieve using EQ's own images. What I mean is that the old city retextures done by Sony back with the release of Luclin (or was it Velious?) were still in the .bmp (bitmap) format, whereas all textures beyond that point were rendered using .dds images. The only way to make use of those .dds images, which look far better, is to painstakingly convert them to .bmp and then rename them accordingly to overwrite the lo-res files in felwithea.s3d, but the conversion results in a loss in quality and the end product is usually just "different" rather than better-looking. It would probably be more practical to try it on a zone that didn't receive a substantial facelift from Sony, like one of the Badlands or Plaguelands....

Anyway, retexturing entire zones is agonizingly tedious, but if I ever do it, you can bet I'll post some screenshots here.

I made a half-complete one for myself for Tur`ruj (Chardok) simply because I hated staring at brown, brown, and more brown whenever I'd raid in Ikisith. I haven't made it available to others, but you can see screenshots of it in this post.

I considered doing a texture pack for Athica A by pulling textures from other EQ zones but even though Felwithe, as it was formerly known, does have some shabby textures here and there, they are about as high in resolution as one can achieve using EQ's own images. What I mean is that the old city retextures done by Sony back with the release of Luclin (or was it Velious?) were still in the .bmp (bitmap) format, whereas all textures beyond that point were rendered using .dds images. The only way to make use of those .dds images, which look far better, is to painstakingly convert them to .bmp and then rename them accordingly to overwrite the lo-res files in felwithea.s3d, but the conversion results in a loss in quality and the end product is usually just "different" rather than better-looking. It would probably be more practical to try it on a zone that didn't receive a substantial facelift from Sony, like one of the Badlands or Plaguelands....

Anyway, retexturing entire zones is agonizingly tedious, but if I ever do it, you can bet I'll post some screenshots here.

Tedious yes indeed finding textures that fit well along with just figuring out which textures go where is defiantly a time consuming endeavor. I personally couldn't see a perceptible loss in quality from simply renaming the new .dds texture to that of the old textures name with the .bmp extension at the end. To do that you'll need show file extensions turn on. If you go to view the .bmp files you extract from .s3d with IrfanView it complains they are wrongly renamed .dds so files the higher resolution .s3d zone make overs Sony did. So perhaps they were just .dds files with with corresponding file name and extension changed to .bmp is my suspicion.

Hello, crazie007. I am sorry I didn't reply to your recent PM, but I've been somewhat busy, so I may as well just chime in here now that you've entered the thread. :)

Those Unrest / Luclin texture substitutions look really good! It's a shame the Verant's early tree textures were done in such a weird way, because there's probably no way we'll ever be able to improve upon them thanks to the really weird transparency and distinct shape they make use of. :(

I had no idea .dds files could simply be renamed to .bmp without creating some kind of conflict with the client--at least in Sony's official retextures. :psyduck: Would the same thing work over non-retextured zones, I wonder? If so, there's huge potential for custom hi-res retexturing. Must investigate...

By the way, when you find yourself renaming whole sets of textures, do you do them one by one or do you use some kind of script or other program to do mass renames? I supposed you'd really only do mass renames for stuff like water, which is usually named something along the lines of wat1.bmp, wat2.bmp, etc., but I'm just curious if you've got a more efficient way to rename things en masse. (I myself would find it very handy to have a faster way of renaming race textures when I'm moving them around for various purposes.)

Also, the idea you laid out in this post regarding replacing textures without the need to do any actual work inside the .s3d files sounds great, but unfortunately, I have zero know-how when it would come to making something like that happen. Are you sure it is possible? I have become very accustomed to the contents of several file types used by the client, but I have yet to touch the surface on .bat files.

I blew through the last couple of posts quickly and will reread later, but what kind of rename are you talking about?

Litterally, just changing the 3 letters at the end of the extension? *.dds to *.bmp ?
Could use a batch file to do that very easily, or one of a dozen programs (XnConvert, ReaConverter)

Here is a simple rename .bat I did last month when I was playing around with textures:
Code:
@echo off

REM ****************************
REM Created By Daffie 2013-09-10
REM Copy and Rename dynamic file names from the specified directories from *.DDS to *.BMP
REM ****************************

REM Variables - Edit the stuff between the quotes
SET InputLocation="C:\Users\Daffie\Desktop\EQ Textures\Extracted Textures From EQ\Vectored Textures\Converted to PNG\Resized PNG\Converted to DDS\"
SET OutputLocation="C:\Users\Daffie\Desktop\EQ Textures\Extracted Textures From EQ\Vectored Textures\Converted to PNG\Resized PNG\Converted to DDS\Renamed to BMP\"

REM Copy and Rename dynamic file names (overwrite in destination folder)
copy /y %InputLocation%*.dds %OutputLocation%*.bmp

REM Pause to see how many files have moved
PAUSE

REM Exit Program
END

Are you talking about converting the actual images to the *.bmp format once extracted? Incidentally, the 2 programs above should be able to do that for you too (in bulk.)

Are you sure it is possible? I have become very accustomed to the contents of several file types used by the client, but I have yet to touch the surface on .bat files.

If you can give me a set structure with what you need, I could write you a python script to do renames for you if that would help you out. I have limited experience with .bat files so I prefer python or perl or something like that (seems easier to do more complex operations if needed).

Assuming Daffie's .bat file is not enough (i.e. not sure if anything else is needed for the .dds files or anything). So, if the .dds file operation is possible to be automated, might be able to fit that into the script as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom