Winter's Roar

mokfarg

Dalayan Beginner
I would have loved to play SoD in earlier states when it was still Everquest (Names and Zones were not moved/changed). I am curious, do you guys have back ups of different points of SoD's life cycles?

I played on Winter's Roar back when it was called that - it was the same game it currently is (in terms of customization).

I don't think it ever actually *was* a true emu server - without the changed zones, etc. As far as I'm aware, it was always completely custom.

I don't think it ever actually *was* a true emu server - without the changed zones, etc. As far as I'm aware, it was always completely custom.

This. I only started playing at the tail end of WR but I'm pretty sure no zones have ever been completely revamped, just added to (quests etc) or removed (Lands of Magic). There was never any source for NPCs and spawnpoints (and items) from Live that I know of, so it's very unlikely that Wiz and whoever else would have gone through the painstaking process of trying to imitate Live in that regard when they could just make up their own stuff for much less effort.

There's a reason p99 was a big thing.

Last edited:
I played on Winter's Roar back when it was called that - it was the same game it currently is (in terms of customization).

From the very beginning it was customized. At first all characters started in Erudin, then all good characters in Erudin, Evil in Thurgadin before the expansion of beta zones. This all being prior to the removal of the LoM, when the nexus was what MoP now is, except safe and a hub for player connection.

All quests, spawn points, and most named mobs have always been custom. But that doesn't go to say it wasn't an improvement. WR had the great building blocks that SoD has become today.

P.S. I would love to see Kaezul's Mages/Wizards and Sorceresses combine their magical power to revive the LoM in it's previous state in an attempt to bolster their ranks with the direct assult on Dalaya. Now that the server I believe could handle the extra zones being back in.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure no zones have ever been completely revamped, just added to (quests etc) or removed (Lands of Magic).
Well, the difference in "revamp" are significant, but a short list would include:

Dreadfang Spire
Ruins of First City
The Nexus (Lands of Magic)
Oggok Mines, formerly Bancak Mines
Mansion of Portals (with the Akhevans)
The House, formerly part of Shadowhaven (Lands of Magic)
Shar Vahl, formerly "something" Malath (Lands of Magic)
City of Mercy, formerly "something" Malath (Lands of Magic)

I know you mentioned Lands of Magic, but I figured a list might still be nice.

I liked the low level zone with the icey terrors that blasted you across the room. And I also preferred the crystal caverns when you zoned in from the other entrance and headed down through all the rock guys before you reached the crystal stuff. And there was a boss at the other entrance good for level 30s or something. I basically preferred all of WR tbh. But SoD is better in some ways too.

Well, the difference in "revamp" are significant, but a short list would include:

Dreadfang Spire
Ruins of First City
The Nexus (Lands of Magic)
Oggok Mines, formerly Bancak Mines
Mansion of Portals (with the Akhevans)
The House, formerly part of Shadowhaven (Lands of Magic)
Shar Vahl, formerly "something" Malath (Lands of Magic)
City of Mercy, formerly "something" Malath (Lands of Magic)

I know you mentioned Lands of Magic, but I figured a list might still be nice.

The House is just a section of Plane of Knowledge, not Shadowhaven. City of Mercy was just called Sanctus Seru in LoM. I can not remember Shar Vahl being used in Lands of Magic. Mansion of Portals aka Vex Thal was going to be used and a lot of us finished keys for it, the name was going to be like Faegra Malath or something that started with an F, but it was never implemented before LoM blowing up.

Shar Vahl was the last zone to blow up in the Lands of Magic, so I remember it. I'll try to dig up a screenshot.

Back
Top Bottom