What should be done for L65 Mage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 damage recordings posted by Thade seem to indicate that for the most part, DPS is pretty balanced at the high end. There will always be discrepencies based on who is getting GoG/Caster GoG, if Festering Curse is used, the type of fight, etc. If pets stay alive easier that seems like it would put mages back up into the top tier of DPS classes, which is as it should be.

One thing though... Nifera's DPS is hax, nerf bards.

About those pet tomes: Is each rank a linear upgrade? IE 25%/50%/75%/100%? If so, some of them might have some balance issues. Beastlord pets picking up an extra ~1700 ac? I realize AC is worth less the more you have, but the effects of that one in particular should be tested pretty thoroughly. Not that I'm opposed to the idea; pet offtanks are something that would make bsts/mages much more desirable in harder exp zones. At the same time though, these tomes could push necros into "brokenly overpowered" territory if you're not careful.

That is true. Necro is the real concern atm, BST and MAG are under-performing in comparison to other classes, while Necros are not. However since necro pet is the worst atm, and they get no Ikisith pet upgrade, at the top tier it should be fine. It's before then that could be a problem.

I don't really see any non-top tier necros getting/completing these tomes though so it probably wouldn't affect them very much. Even if some lower tier necros did, they still wouldn't have the crazy DPS from having all the primary tomes, ikisith focii, etc.

Didn't anyone find funny that Nifera was sitting as number 1 DPS for a fight ? Not that he sucks, but DAMN SON. =x

One thing though... Nifera's DPS is hax, nerf bards.

It does seem pretty crazy that the undisputed best utility class is also able to do just as much damage as the primary DPS classes. I know Nifera is an outlier, but still... that seems out of whack.

why not make companion elemental focus tomes then? to start ramping up the pets, replacing their basic abilities (root, stun, slow, dd) with better, raid worthy upgrades, more damage, and better health/resists. this would essentially help only mage pets also on top of the tomes suggested above helping all pet classes.

Primarily because I'm not convinced that their DPS is a problem. The only numbers shown so far seem to support that assumption. Pet survivability? Yes, that's an issue, but so far they seem a fine DPS component while they are around.

It does seem pretty crazy that the undisputed best utility class is also able to do just as much damage as the primary DPS classes. I know Nifera is an outlier, but still... that seems out of whack.

Bard dps has always been good. People just don't get it. Plus on the fight where he was #1, melee don't really ever have to move, casters are moving a lot, etc. usually nif is #4-5. Also, that raid is also a bit different for us, we usually have 1-2 rogues, we had 0 due to attendance.

For rains, can it be coded so that:
If you don't have 2 targets available, it does 1.75x damage to the single target? Then it would always be preferable to have 2 targets, but if not, you aren't gimped in damage?

Maybe prevent aoe hitting mezzed targets, similar to pets not willing to attack mezzed. In a roleplay sense, you can already place your "cloud" above a spot of your choice. You just push the cloud away from mobs that you see asleep.

Having one target doesn't gimp you, really. The issue arises when you are stuck in a place where you are hitting yourself thus causing you to need heals, or, where there are mezzed targets you risk hitting, and have to resort o bladewind.

I am convinced that DPS **IS** an issue. Unless Mage is doing at least 50% more DPS than an equivalently tiered rogue/monk then they are not competetive with their huge AC advantage. And that is 50% on average - not simply under ideal conditions.

I am convinced that DPS **IS** an issue. Unless Mage is doing at least 50% more DPS than an equivalently tiered rogue/monk then they are not competetive with their huge AC advantage. And that is 50% on average - not simply under ideal conditions.

This can't be a serious post... right?

Absolutely serious.

How can a mage be competetive with a melee dps with their considerable AC and numerous other advantages unless it has a significant dps advantage?

I always thought beastlords were the premier pet class. Relic mage pet just craps all over any other pet so at worst this may allow beastlord pets to be competitive.

I know I'm a new player to SoD and all, but just from my perception, I thought the Mage pet (with reference to the relic) had a higher HP/AC/self survivability value, whilst the fire pet would have a higher dps than the BST pet. The BST pet however holds aggro a hell lot better than the mage pet, and the BST being a 'premier pet class' means that he could heal his pet a heck lot better (plus self buffs benefits, although raid wise, self buffs mean moot). I know things are different in SoD, but I would be a little worried if a BST pet would end up having a higher HP / AC on top of the BST having better heals / self utility, AND hold aggro better. The BST himself can pretty much off-tank too, especially in comparison to a soft squishy mage.

I'll go hide back under my rock and get a few more levels before commenting further ::p

Last edited:
Absolutely serious.

How can a mage be competetive with a melee dps with their considerable AC and numerous other advantages unless it has a significant dps advantage?

Int casters have like 8500 more mana than my monk does, to make up for it, my monk should do about 300% more DPS than a necro or wizzy.

haha, that makes me laugh.

Well it made me smile.

However I will give it a serious answer. You would not give him more DPS because it is already a far more powerful character.

Let me turn the question round slightly. When would you EVER (on character merit) put a mage into your 6 man XP group ahead of an equivalently tiered rogue?

We are being assured that the new tomes will "fix" the mage pet and put mage back on a level playing field. However this ignores the fact that all other classes are also getting their tomes. I will be amazed if when this all plays out, mages are not even further behind than they are now.

A good fix for magician would be to stop trying to make them into a wizard with a pet and let them be a pet based class again.

I haven't played my mage on a serious basis since the 'heal pet less and nuke more' position was forced upon those of us who didn't want to make a wizard when we initially made a mage.

After reading all this (and talking to some high end mages), my approach would be to make mage petheal instant recast, maybe slap another 1k of HP healed on it, and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom