We All Love Monks, Here

Tier 10 tank can vary a lot. On a warrior, or pre runic 2 pally everyone has to jolt to varying degrees. On a sk, if they terror enough, you would never have to fd, but all tanks are better off devoting a little less to Agro and more to heals/mitigation since it doesn't hurt you at all to fd

Last edited:
Tied 10 tank can vary a lot. On a warrior, or pre runic 2 pally everyone has to jolt to varying degrees. On a sk, if they terror enough, you would never have to fx, but all tanks are better off devoting a little less to Agro and more to heals/mitigation since it doesn't hurt you at all to fd
I don't know about that. Monk agro is still really quite high. It is manageable though, and because of this I think this is a good thing.

well i don't know if you played when it was literally broken, but i was getting chased after by bosses i wasn't even fighting so i'd say it's working as intended now

Yea, to summarize, monk aggro isn't out of control or anything like it was briefly during the monk changes.

I was just confirming that it was intended that monk dpsing for 15 seconds in a T10 and below situation to steal aggro from the tank everytime because
a) Monk aggro is just a LOT higher since before the monk changes.
b) I can't think of any other class that can consistently take aggro from a tank.

Overall, I think anything that requires someone to actively pay attention to their class instead of just sitting there pressing a button every 6 seconds is a very good change. So I like this change overall, I just wan't sure if was intended. That's all...

To me the problem isn't that monks have to control their dps and press buttons, so much as now that their dps is largely based off of time spent out of FD, having to FD so often feels counter-intuitive. It also makes the class feel really dependent on the tank.

To me the problem isn't that monks have to control their dps and press buttons, so much as now that their dps is largely based off of time spent out of FD, having to FD so often feels counter-intuitive. It also makes the class feel really dependent on the tank.
FD isnt a DPS loss at all if you are good and monk aggro has always been crazy high compared to other DPS. Compound that with what solo said about knights and r2/spires gear, and warriors with certain weapons, on top of the fact that tier9 monks are in a pretty good spot.

Haven't raided since the change, but as far as solo game goes... far less sustainable compared to combo system. Having to be in specific stances to get specific powers to function... mmm honestly, pretty lame. Also... rested stance? Wasted all that time leveling the tome, now it does nothing. dubbya tee effs? New mode may be cool and more effective for raids, or group content. Pretty craptacular for 2 boxing and solo.

Haven't raided since the change, but as far as solo game goes... far less sustainable compared to combo system. Having to be in specific stances to get specific powers to function... mmm honestly, pretty lame. Also... rested stance? Wasted all that time leveling the tome, now it does nothing. dubbya tee effs? New mode may be cool and more effective for raids, or group content. Pretty craptacular for 2 boxing and solo.
that tome lets you start around 40 stamina instead of 20 which means you don't have to build much for your first kick into a fight. also that tome takes like 2 mobs to fill

i've found its pretty great for 2boxing cause i can pull to my cleric way easier and also not have to get dunked on if i wanted to do DPS/accidentally reckless combo. It is a nerf to soloing but I am still capable of soloing the things i used to solo before, except now i do it more quickly, but i can definitely see why it'd be a solo nerf for some.

Can someone explain to me how /s 5 "Wall of Will" is meant to work now? Every single time I've attempted to use it, it seems to drop whenever it feels like it. Even if I go into the stance while out of combat, it will initiate just fine, but then it will drop seemingly at random and return me to /s 1. This happens even though the Monk's stamina bar is not depleting whatsoever, and it has even happened to me in combat when the bar is rising. What's the intention here? Is this stance broken in the new Monk system, or am I just using it wrong?

It has nothing to do with our stamina (Discipline) bar anymore. Similar to the invuln stance it is just timed. I've never timed it, but it seems to last around 30 seconds.

It has nothing to do with our stamina (Discipline) bar anymore. Similar to the invuln stance it is just timed. I've never timed it, but it seems to last around 30 seconds.
Thanks for the info. You're right that it still uses the timer even though I was under the impression that it would last indefinitely with the new Monk system as long as you didn't change stances. The timer appears to be 45 seconds on the dot. It can "overlap" with /s 1, /s 2, and /s 3, though doing so can make things confusing.

Yeah, it feels a little disconnected not having a stamina bar for feedback on stance duration, but you get used to the duration of /s 4 and /s 5 eventually. You are right about /s 5; it puts you in an /s 1 equivalent stance (no empowered attacks) but you can immediately switch to /s 2 or 3. The stance will just dump you back to /s 1 when it finishes, as you noticed, so you have redo /s 2 or /s 3. I just keep macros for /s 2-5 on my hot bar and use my action bar for kicks other than flying.

Yeah, it feels a little disconnected not having a stamina bar for feedback on stance duration, but you get used to the duration of /s 4 and /s 5 eventually. You are right about /s 5; it puts you in an /s 1 equivalent stance (no empowered attacks) but you can immediately switch to /s 2 or 3. The stance will just dump you back to /s 1 when it finishes, as you noticed, so you have redo /s 2 or /s 3. I just keep macros for /s 2-5 on my hot bar and use my action bar for kicks other than flying.
Sounds like a bug. When warriors use their "one-time" stances, aka /s 5-17 it doesn't drop the current stance they're using, s2-4.

It has been a couple days now, and I still feel there is definitely something wrong with /s 5 "Wall of Will" under the new system. It nearly always drops a few seconds prematurely (perhaps due to the tick system), but more frustrating is the fact that charm has managed to land through the stance on numerous occasions and seemingly at random. This has happened even when I've timed the stance's re-application nearly perfectly. Methinks the Monk revamp, for all the good it has done, has unfortunately formed a few kinks in this particular stance's functionality. Any chance it can be looked at?

Perhaps the simplest solution would be to make it last indefinitely instead of ~45 seconds, yet disallow the use of /s 2 and /s 3 overlapping with it. This would balance its utility by restricting Monks from using their new secondary skills (e.g. Eagle Strike's Lifetap, Round Kick's AE) while sustaining the defensive benefits of this stance. I get the feeling that this "overlappability" with other stances may be the root of the problem to begin with, but then again, I've also been told that this stance has failed Monks even way before the revamp.

Whatever the case is, something just isn't right with this stance. :(

It has been a couple days now, and I still feel there is definitely something wrong with /s 5 "Wall of Will" under the new system. It nearly always drops a few seconds prematurely (perhaps due to the tick system), but more frustrating is the fact that charm has managed to land through the stance on numerous occasions and seemingly at random. This has happened even when I've timed the stance's re-application nearly perfectly. Methinks the Monk revamp, for all the good it has done, has unfortunately formed a few kinks in this particular stance's functionality. Any chance it can be looked at?

Perhaps the simplest solution would be to make it last indefinitely instead of ~45 seconds, yet disallow the use of /s 2 and /s 3 overlapping with it. This would balance its utility by restricting Monks from using their new secondary skills (e.g. Eagle Strike's Lifetap, Round Kick's AE) while sustaining the defensive benefits of this stance. I get the feeling that this "overlappability" with other stances may be the root of the problem to begin with, but then again, I've also been told that this stance has failed Monks even way before the revamp.

Whatever the case is, something just isn't right with this stance. :(
Well I mean, although the stance doesn't work properly, hardly any charms and mezzes can be avoided by stances of that type. A lot of them are made to just go right through

So I've only parsed a little bit but this patch looks pretty good in leveling off dps. On the few mobs I've parsed:
3rd round monk changes (aggressive, spamming flying kick) with focus, shaman stats
Average: 593DPS
In 2.5, average dps on same mob, same setup, 10 mobs,
Average: 477DPS

So it's likely some of the monk changes that affected their dps got lost in 2.5 unless the "a melded yclistinite golem" in BQ got ac buffed or something.

Also, somewhat related, I wonder if the monk weight restrictions have been lifted in 2.5? While looking through the same parses on this single mob I noticed that in 2.0. the npc dps was ~200 dps but in 2.5, the average npc dps to my monk was ~250 dps, a noticeable increase. He had 79 weight on him.

Back
Top Bottom