Vendor / Banker Character Names Discussion Megathread of Happy Fun Times

Wiz

NOT DONATING *EVER*
In the past we have ignored names like 'guildbank' and 'wizaugs' because it was generally local and low visibility, but with names like that more and more taking over auction and the listsold, we are going to start cracking down. From now on, there are no exceptions to the naming policy, and any character, even guild bankers, with a name that violates the rules will have their name changed.

We suggest that you bring on all your mis-named characters and petition for nameflags. Characters that are not logged on will start being the recipients of gm-set name changes a few weeks from now.

What about people that use names that are just stupid or of known names like pharmaceuticals or companies?
If I petitioned all the innapropriate names I saw that would be all I would end up doing all day.
I normally use the random name generator or variations of what it gives me when making a new character.

What about people that use names that are just stupid or of known names like pharmaceuticals or companies?
If I petitioned all the innapropriate names I saw that would be all I would end up doing all day.
I normally use the random name generator or variations of what it gives me when making a new character.

Step 1. Read the naming policy
Step 2. Understand that the above mentioned naming policy now applies to all characters.
Step 3. Profit

You can't rely on the Charname generator. It's a tool that wasn't made by the staff, it might be useful if you really have no clue how to name your toon (which I understand, knowing that your name can be nerfed for a million of reasons) but you still need to pay attention it doesn't go against the policy I suppose.
Best way to be sure is google it, if you have few or no answers, you're golden.

You can't rely on the Charname generator. It's a tool that wasn't made by the staff, it might be useful if you really have no clue how to name your toon (which I understand, knowing that your name can be nerfed for a million of reasons) but you still need to pay attention it doesn't go against the policy I suppose.
Best way to be sure is google it, if you have few or no answers, you're golden.

So why does this happen Dzillon? Come on, the name nerf just means that everyone shifted a few steps. If the banker/bot problem is really going to be fixed, lets all do our bit and really get rid of all the old mentality of EQ and start looking at the Play Nice mentality.

Sorry for tramping all over this thread.

Come on, the name nerf just means that everyone shifted a few steps. If the banker/bot problem is really going to be fixed, lets all do our bit and really get rid of all the old mentality of EQ and start looking at the Play Nice mentality.

With the loss of name-branding space it won't be effective to split inventory over 10 characters anymore. Instead, it is to be hoped that name recognition that goes with real player character's names will promote sales and we can move back towards the goal of some 'social interaction' for sellers. The hope is that as name-nerfed formerly name-branded characters lose their selling edge, inventory will be moved back to actual player characters' banks.

We'll see how it goes in the next few weeks, but you're right from a PNP perspective - It's really not appropriate for all of 6% of listsed players to be monopolizing 30% of the listsold space with selling bot spam (Yes, actually; it is that bad - I counted). It's time consuming enough to sift your way through the listsold without it.

Even so, if all this accomplishes is to bring all players into line with the naming policy, at least it won't be a jarring break from immersion to browse the listsold, nor will it provide excuses for new players to choose names which are violations (faulty excuses, but it still happens).

With the loss of name-branding space it won't be effective to split inventory over 10 characters anymore. Instead, it is to be hoped that name recognition that goes with real player character's names will promote sales and we can move back towards the goal of some 'social interaction' for sellers.

I hope that people like yourself Allielyn, can stop the flood of items of the listsold system. Imagine trying to find items that you want and seeing bot upon bot. Imagine either new players or even players that have got to lvl65 have to put up with.

I really wanted to let this rest but decided to come back and see if anyone had responded. You did and so did some one else on listsold.

So now we have another char splitting there wares over new or renamed bots. I feel like that idiot on youtube talking about a dumb blond (Leave Listsold alone). The name change is never going to help, its just going to make a quick bot name change and that it.

I dont have a fix as this is your game.

As far as I'm concerned - the strict respect of the naming policy - the names in these screenies don't break the naming policy (although I suspect some of them break it individually). It's not "Whateverpots" or "Typethreeaugs" ; if the GMs let them change names there shouldn't be a problem.
Now there is no policy set to abuse the listadd system - don't get me wrong I don't belong this part of the server who has multiple trademules. If this needs a nerf I suppose it will happen too o_O

We'll see how it goes in the next few weeks, but you're right from a PNP perspective - It's really not appropriate for all of 6% of listsed players to be monopolizing 30% of the listsold space with selling bot spam (Yes, actually; it is that bad - I counted). It's time consuming enough to sift your way through the listsold without it.

There is no physical way for a tradeskiller to list their wares on one character. This seem to be pretty much who is targeted by this, and seeing that the second screen shot is all my guys I felt the need weigh in. If I have to sell my items on just my mains then I will simply just not tradeskill, as it will make it impossible to get a decent return on the massive amount of time I spend on skill ups, sub-combines and combines. My understanding of this policy shift was that it should eliminate the use of overly descriptive names on selling mules, not that it was to limit the amount of listsolds you could have up.

I hope that people like yourself Allielyn, can stop the flood of items of the listsold system. Imagine trying to find items that you want and seeing bot upon bot. Imagine either new players or even players that have got to lvl65 have to put up with.

I have had a ton of new characters and level 65's thank me for keeping a constant supply of low and mid-level tradeskill gear on the market for easy consumption. So your point is just that you don't like it, and you think everyone else might agree with you.

I really wanted to let this rest but decided to come back and see if anyone had responded. You did and so did some one else on listsold.

So now we have another char splitting there wares over new or renamed bots. I feel like that idiot on youtube talking about a dumb blond (Leave Listsold alone). The name change is never going to help, its just going to make a quick bot name change and that it.

I dont have a fix as this is your game.

People have the right to list and sell their items through listsold, they just don't have the right to use inappropriately named chars to facilitate it. I don't think it's super complicated.

There is no physical way for a tradeskiller to list their wares on one character. This seem to be pretty much who is targeted by this, and seeing that the second screen shot is all my guys I felt the need weigh in. If I have to sell my items on just my mains then I will simply just not tradeskill, as it will make it impossible to get a decent return on the massive amount of time I spend on skill ups, sub-combines and combines. My understanding of this policy shift was that it should eliminate the use of overly descriptive names on selling mules, not that it was to limit the amount of listsolds you could have up.
I think the point was that a majority of the name-branded vendors will now find it more profitable to keep wares on one well-known main's listsold rather than divide them amongst mules whose names are now hard to remember.
I'm sure that you will find it still profitable to keep them amongst multiple characters but will need to establish credibility for a handful rather than rely on name-branding for multitudes (I really don't know how many you had personally).

We also have to recognize the split between listsold and listview. Who honestly goes to listview to find type 3 mana augs? Now, how many people do you know or can find out easily who sells type 3 mana augs without listview?
The porblem is unnessisarily adding one's mules to listview where majority of business comes from reputation and word of mouth. The benefit to listview as a whole outweighs the minor profits gained from it

the way i see it, we are all limited to 20 max listsold spaces per character...i know i personally buy 10-20 potions at a time for raids and the guild etc....same thing for augs (yes numinous funds all the augs our players use).

if i person is limited to 20 items on a "main" character someone like me is gonna come along everyday and buy them out. they are gonna be forced to stockpile things in the bank, retock vendors everyday( what a freaking pain) and now instead of it taking the usual 15 mins or so to find the things im after its gonna take 45 minutes.... all in the sake of the name policy?(that wasnt enforced for seller bots for 3 years until now?)

if you want my honest opinion on this the whole thing stinks...its gonna cause everyone to lose sales, waste more time fumbling through the painfuill listsold system, and spend a bunch of time renaming a bunch of bots they might log in once a week to put some stuff on for storage.

IF this is about the amount of items players have in listsold..(i have never used more than 1 bot Numispells which all proceeds fund the things our guild needs i see no reason why guilds cant have 1 guildnamed sellbot)..and you want everyone to limit themselves to one char...then give more bank slots with listsold capability.

also you could eliminate a good amount of bots just by giving every guild its own banking system or maybe give guilds a house, anything that makes it easier for the guilds on sod to stockpile the nesc components,spells,potions, gems, and misc crap guilds need to function would be absolutely awesome!

You are forgetting house zone listing slots. Every toon has a house. If you want to designate one a "guild" house, summon everyone a key.

The house provides extra selling space. Every player has access to one utility placeholder which can be made into an extra selling box (10 items). If you donate, you get more. At the Gold level players have access to 6 extra boxes. That's for each of two characters, mind: for a total of 12 extra boxes and 120 selling slots.

So yes, extra selling space is already in.

Edit: Ikaa beat me to it! Well at least I can provide details.

This thread sounds like it is getting out of hand. How did the idea of only 1 main being allowed a listsold come up when you can use alts for listsolds just not have special names for it? Confusing, oh yea.

Ok so now you have to figure out who is who on listsold, and can be easily fixed by doing listview. You will have a bit of trouble for the first few times but after that it will become second nature again on who to use.

I really do not see the big deal of a rule finally being enforced for all. Moment I submit this, I am sure someone will try to prove why it is a bigger deal than it really is and am saying right now: I will not be changing my mind that this is a small change and you should adept to it.

I also want to suggest a lock of this thread, it has already said it is not negotiable. End of post.

With the loss of name-branding space it won't be effective to split inventory over 10 characters anymore. Instead, it is to be hoped that name recognition that goes with real player character's names will promote sales and we can move back towards the goal of some 'social interaction' for sellers. The hope is that as name-nerfed formerly name-branded characters lose their selling edge, inventory will be moved back to actual player characters' banks.

For those of us who tradeskill extensively it's completely unrealistic to list everything on a single character. There's simply not enough space, and it's too difficult to keep track of what you do and don't have left in stock when every different type of aug has the exact same name ("Platinum Runes" for example). We'll still have to have all those mules, they'll just have a ridiculous string of similar names that conform to the naming policy so that we have some chance of keeping track of them.

Even so, if all this accomplishes is to bring all players into line with the naming policy, at least it won't be a jarring break from immersion to browse the listsold, nor will it provide excuses for new players to choose names which are violations (faulty excuses, but it still happens).
So when you're driving from a residential area to a commercial area, it's a jarring break from immersion to see stores with names like "Ace Hardware" or "CVS Pharmacy" whose names actually describe what they sell? Instead, you'd rather have a stripmall without signs so all the stores "fit in"? Do you not think that shops had signs outside that indicated what they sold in midieval times as well? Even the shops in-game have signs on them with what is sold there.

All this does is punish those who used some basic marketing to get some name recognition, and to use names that people could actually remember based on what they want. It also forces the sellers to spam /auc more in hopes that these stupid impossible-to-remember names will be up there when someone goes looking for the products we produce.

The house provides extra selling space. Every player has access to one utility placeholder which can be made into an extra selling box (10 items). If you donate, you get more. At the Gold level players have access to 6 extra boxes. That's for each of two characters, mind: for a total of 12 extra boxes and 120 selling slots.
These containers are way too much of a pain to use, and 120 is still WAY too few for a tradeskiller. It's MUCH more convenient to have separate characters where you can just look at their inventory, and drop items into the listsold bags. I use about 160 slots JUST to keep enough alchemy products in stock so I don't have to restock every other day or so (which I couldn't do due to RL), and I only stock a limited set of the potions available (none of the resists or stats). Take into consideration it's generally the same people who have their fingers in multiple tradeskills, and even the number of slots you get with a platinum subscription become a joke, convenience factor aside.

I would love to be able to keep all of my tradeskill supplies on a small number of toons, but the current system just doesn't support it effectively. If you want to reduce the listsold bots, come up with a way of making things available in bulk much more convenient. For example, one solution might be to introduce a special "banker" that has all the bank slots as listsold instead of just the bottom 2. If you want to keep it from being too convenient, put it in Erimal so there's no portal close by, and you have to have done the MQ to get in.

Also, it'd be great if the tradeskilled augs were changed to have names that distinguished a "HP" aug from a "Mana" aug, so that the buyer didn't have to dig through a ton of links on a listsold of someone selling a few of each type to find what they were looking for.

If your goal is truly what's stated above (as opposed to removing competition advantage for the "good" names), I think there are much better approaches to the problem than to just remove context-appropriate names.

For those of us who tradeskill extensively it's completely unrealistic to list everything on a single character. There's simply not enough space, and it's too difficult to keep track of what you do and don't have left in stock when every different type of aug has the exact same name ("Platinum Runes" for example). We'll still have to have all those mules, they'll just have a ridiculous string of similar names that conform to the naming policy so that we have some chance of keeping track of them.
YOU made the decision to tradeskill extensively. You're also turning a profit on it. Why shouldn't you have to a modicum of work for this?
So when you're driving from a residential area to a commercial area, it's a jarring break from immersion to see stores with names like "Ace Hardware" or "CVS Pharmacy" whose names actually describe what they sell? Instead, you'd rather have a stripmall without signs so all the stores "fit in"? Do you not think that shops had signs outside that indicated what they sold in midieval times as well? Even the shops in-game have signs on them with what is sold there.
this is a retarded argument, you don't have "immersion" in real life, "immersion" is taking you out of real life and putting you into a game world, a world where people aren't named TYPETWOMANAAUGS.
All this does is punish those who used some basic marketing to get some name recognition, and to use names that people could actually remember based on what they want. It also forces the sellers to spam /auc more in hopes that these stupid impossible-to-remember names will be up there when someone goes looking for the products we produce.
The only people this punishes are people that failed to read, comprehend, or follow the naming policy.
These containers are way too much of a pain to use, and 120 is still WAY too few for a tradeskiller. It's MUCH more convenient to have separate characters where you can just look at their inventory, and drop items into the listsold bags. I use about 160 slots JUST to keep enough alchemy products in stock so I don't have to restock every other day or so (which I couldn't do due to RL), and I only stock a limited set of the potions available (none of the resists or stats). Take into consideration it's generally the same people who have their fingers in multiple tradeskills, and even the number of slots you get with a platinum subscription become a joke, convenience factor aside.
this is pretty much the same thing as your first paragraph. What I'm getting here is "I have to click a lot of times to maintain my tradeskilling empire."

I would love to be able to keep all of my tradeskill supplies on a small number of toons, but the current system just doesn't support it effectively. If you want to reduce the listsold bots, come up with a way of making things available in bulk much more convenient. For example, one solution might be to introduce a special "banker" that has all the bank slots as listsold instead of just the bottom 2. If you want to keep it from being too convenient, put it in Erimal so there's no portal close by, and you have to have done the MQ to get in.
How many listsold slots do you "need" for all your shit? 160 isn't enough, do you need 1,000? 5,000? Should every player have that much crap listed?
Also, it'd be great if the tradeskilled augs were changed to have names that distinguished a "HP" aug from a "Mana" aug, so that the buyer didn't have to dig through a ton of links on a listsold of someone selling a few of each type to find what they were looking for.
no complaints here, unique names on each type of aug would be coolio
If your goal is truly what's stated above (as opposed to removing competition advantage for the "good" names), I think there are much better approaches to the problem than to just remove context-appropriate names.

I don't think a lot of your suggestions make sense, but couldn't this change be motivated by more than one thing? Maybe having someone named manaaugs wasn't annoying enough by itself, but when there were 1,000 of these characters, spammed in ooc every day, and getting more business at worse prices because they had rulebreaking names, maybe then it was worth making a big deal about. Everyone keep raging against the "new policy" ... IT'S THE SAME POLICY AS BEFORE!

edit: hacking this into here because I didn't want to make another post in the thread
Just to clarify my position on this:

I have no problem with renaming my Tradeskill selling guys. People will just get used to the new names, and now I just get 5 tells a day asking me what "VendorX" was renamed to so that they can update their notes. I personally would not like to see a limit on the number of selling mules as the extra space is of greater value to me than their names.

If people are sending you tells then IMO you have branded yourself successfully, without the necessity of improperly named characters. This is how I think the system should work.

Just to clarify my position on this:

I have no problem with renaming my Tradeskill selling guys. People will just get used to the new names, and now I just get 5 tells a day asking me what "VendorX" was renamed to so that they can update their notes. I personally would not like to see a limit on the number of selling mules as the extra space is of greater value to me than their names.

YOU made the decision to tradeskill extensively. You're also turning a profit on it. Why shouldn't you have to a modicum of work for this?

I didn't say I shouldn't. If you would read things in context, you would see that I said it's much easier to continue to have a listsold bot-army than it is to put everything on one toon, so that is what tradeskillers will continue to do, and therefore the change will not accomplish the intended output of eliminating the listsold bot-army. The change doesn't make any more work for me, and that's not what any of us are objecting to.

The only people this punishes are people that failed to read, comprehend, or follow the naming policy.
Again, you fail to comprehend the point. The punishment is not having recognizable names, it's not having to change the names...

How many listsold slots do you "need" for all your shit? 160 isn't enough, do you need 1,000? 5,000? Should every player have that much crap listed?
How is this relevant to whether the 160, 1,000, or 5,000 slots be on one character or multiple?

I don't think a lot of your suggestions make sense, but couldn't this change be motivated by more than one thing? Maybe having someone named manaaugs wasn't annoying enough by itself, but when there were 1,000 of these characters, spammed in ooc every day, and getting more business at worse prices because they had rulebreaking names, maybe then it was worth making a big deal about.
So now there will be 1,000 characters with meaningless names, and will be spammed in ooc every day twice as much because nobody will remember the names.

If people are sending you tells then IMO you have branded yourself successfully, without the necessity of improperly named characters. This is how I think the system should work.
Except that he still has all the goods on those sale bots and not on his main toon, and will continue to auc all the goods, so the only thing that this has accomplished is that people will have to ask him where to find things every time instead of knowing the listsold to look at, and won't sell as much when he's not online to ask (which will lead to more "/auc WTB" all day because people can't find what they want). That may be fine with you, but it does NOT accomplish the stated goal:

Back
Top Bottom