[Think Tank] Third Warrior Tome Idea(s)

Warriors are a gear based non-spell casting class? I agree another slot seem like a balance issue, but if it makes sense for any class, it'd be warrior imo.

Warriors are a gear based non-spell casting class? I agree another slot seem like a balance issue, but if it makes sense for any class, it'd be warrior imo.

Or monk or rogue (don't think I missed other classes that fall into this category)? War, Rogue and Monks basically are all in the same boat with the "gear based non-spell casting class" in my opinion.

Double shields for a warrior would be fun to see though, ngl. PUMP that AC.

Pretty sure the client is the primary enforcer of not being able put anything in secondary with a 2H in and vice versa. Although I guess that could be hacked around with a clunky command to equip things, maybe.

Double shields wouldn't be very nice to look at since the client doesn't flip them around -- the one in primary would show up on the inside of your arm.

I would not be excited at all about two shields. I want something that benefits me more often than when I'm being an off-tank.

My reason is that I do not understand why one class should be given an additional inventory slot when 14 other classes are not.

It would be nice if you would explain yourself a bit more. This posts just comes off as a child complaining about how some other kid has a toy they don't. Class balancing shouldn't work this way and I hope you don't actually feel this way.

Also this already happens in the game currently. There are a lot of ammo proc and/or clicky items in the game that basically rangers can not use because they rely on arrows, they have to pay money for, so heavily.

Last edited:
It would be pretty hilarious if warriors end up with 2handers and shields after what happened to knight onehanders because people were scared of high ratio weapons for whatever reason. I don't know enough about warrior DPS or damage taken compared to other tanks to know it it would be imbalanced, it does seem funny though.

My shield ratios are not a science. Infact looking back I don't like the idea of having every shield the same ratio simply based on tome rank. I think they should somehow scale just like everything else in the game. The more ac the shield had the better the ratio.

I would also agree that perhaps adding a .75 weapon in the offhand of a warrior with a two hander in their main hand might produce too much dps. I for one would like to see some tests however.

What I do know:

1) It wouldn't hurt if warriors did do a bit more dps. I feel like they should be the highest dps tank in the game. They sometimes have aggro problems, at the very least theyseem to have more aggro problems than the two other tanks, more dps could remedy this.

2) Seeing a warring tank a dragon with a two hander and a shield would look bad ass. It's funny that people think this would be amazing over powered I for one would be amazed to see some warriors use this over their spirit harvest.

3) Saying an idea isn't good because another class can't do the same thing is retarded.

I would also like to add: this idea of could very well be complete ass. I don't main a warrior, although I do play them from time to time, so I could be way off on what this class actually wants.

I would just love to see more unique things being added to this game that are clear differences from original everquest.

Last edited:
Kedrin....so, what about a tome that actually just boosted ratio instead of lessening it? You keep saying offhand .75 in your posts, referring to 2h weapon and shield in offhand but what if you made the tome just simple boost a ratio.

Say, main hand would go to a 1.1 and offhand 1.05 (tome 1). Tome 2, 3...and so on. 1.2/1.1 - 1.25/1.15

Kedrin....so, what about a tome that actually just boosted ratio instead of lessening it? You keep saying offhand .75 in your posts, referring to 2h weapon and shield in offhand but what if you made the tome just simple boost a ratio.

Say, main hand would go to a 1.1 and offhand 1.05 (tome 1). Tome 2, 3...and so on. 1.2/1.1 - 1.25/1.15

Or, have the ratio only affect the shield. So Shield block is 1.0 ratio from the get go. The tomes would just boost that ratio. 1.1, 1.2....ect

I don't think I said that correct....

The tomes would ONLY affect shield ratio. It's a simple formula and the addition I think would be easy.

I am amazingly confused by every single one of your posts above Hesyous.

Currently you can not swing with a shield.

A shield in your offhand is 0 dps or has a zero ratio

The best warrior offhand currently (sword) has a 1 ratio (not looking at dragon bane)

If a shield had a 1 ratio or better every single warrior would simply use a shield in their offhand no matter what.

This is what made me originally think of the .5 and then at rank 3 .75 shield ratios. I have said in posts above that this *might* be too good and I would still rather have them scale over time (a T12 shield has a better ratio than a T9) over having them all the same.

Talk about wrong page. My fault. I apologize. I mean, Block. Increased Block basically. SO the tome would increase the block rate of whatever shield you are using. So....if all shields have a XX block rate, then the tome would use a different formula; based on AC possibly to increase the chance of Shield Blocks. This has NOTHING to do with attacks.

I understand this is a different direction, but just a thought.

My first post above:

I was trying to convey the concept of the tome giving a better ratio for your main hand weapon and a higher chance of block for your shield.

So basically this tome would be ONLY for a Sword and Board Warrior.

So you want block to work how it already does. Got it. (Almost no one.)

What? You make no sense. What I am promoting should make it better, not "work how it already does". How it already does is the baseline. Do you understand now? (I don't know if shield block is based currently on AC, if so, that's news to me. Maybe something else can be thrown in to the formula to 'increase' the block rate)

Almost no one? Yes for now.... This tome would promote the use of Sword and Board. Slight better ratio of the Sword and better Block for the Board.

Last edited:
I don't know if shield block is based currently on AC, if so, that's news to me.

It is.

Almost no one? Yes for now.... This tome would promote the use of Sword and Board. Slight better ratio of the Sword and better Block for the Board.

The reason warriors do not use a shield has nothing to do with block. Warriors are far better at taking damage with a shield than without. They simply do not use one because in most cases they can not due to aggro. Warriors generate aggro by a base number per hit. Having an offhand generates a great deal more aggro. I wouldn't by surprised it it was 75% or more aggro simply be having an offhand (perhaps over double with a Spirit-Harvest Custo Sword set up).

That is why I made the quick comment about how I don't even think tanks would replace thier Spirit-Harvest with a two hander when people were trying to act like this was the most overpowered idea in the world.

I do not think an increase in main hand ratios would remedy this problem even if it doubled its ratio. Actually I know it wouldn't. Warriors already have a hard time maintaining aggro when they use two handers.

Last edited:
It is.

The reason warriors do not use a shield has nothing to do with block. Warriors are far better at taking damage with a shield than without. They simply do not use one because in most cases they can not due to aggro. Warriors generate aggro by a base number per hit. Having an offhand generates a great deal more aggro. I wouldn't by surprised it it was 75% or more aggro simply be having an offhand (perhaps over double with a Spirit-Harvest Custo Sword set up).

That is why I made the quick comment about how I don't even think tanks would replace thier Spirit-Harvest with a two hander when people were trying to act like this was the most overpowered idea in the world.

I do not think an increase in main hand ratios would remedy this problem even if it doubled its ratio. Actually I know it wouldn't. Warriors already have a hard time maintaining aggro when they use two handers.

This is complete enlightenment!

SO! I am still trying to give new ideas outside of the one you thought of that might sound like a good idea. With that said:

How about a tome that adds a 'hate' proc. Maybe does NO dmg, but AE hate. The tome can even add a better ratio for your 1h and increase your block rate IF a shield is held.

So, in tough situations (T13 mob or whatever), if you decide to throw a shield on, you might live longer because of a increased block rate, do a bit more dmg with your 1hander and have a hate proc all wrapped in to a tome. Of course the line of tomes would increase the effectiveness.

On the other side, you would dual wield and just be a hate producing machine! :)

I do like your original ideas and would LOVE to see a warrior dual wield 2h weapons, even if the secondary was .5 ratio dmg.

Side note: You said, "generate aggro by a base number per hit." I wonder if that 'hate proc' I am talking about is possible in the coding. Does it have to DO dmg to generate hate?

It would be pretty hilarious if warriors end up with 2handers and shields after what happened to knight onehanders because people were scared of high ratio weapons for whatever reason.

For the record, the reason was because 2HS weapons had no reason to exist. And to potentially increase knight 1H weapon options by making regular non-knight-only 1H weapons conceivably usable, as a side effect.

Back
Top Bottom