So now that we have new AAs...

Nwaij

Dalayan Pious Diety
So now that all tomes are AAs, would it be possible to expand on this?

Ideas:

I. Class specific AAs that once were tomes.
  • Most classes had 3 class tome lines.However, some only had 2 lines - this gap should be closed.
II. Pet classes are suffering more from the buff changes than other classes due to both caster and pet being more fragile now.
  • 1 - 3 additional ranks of pet tomes would be a good way to increase per survivability across the board.
  • A new type of pet tome that increases the pets base HP by 10% per rank would go a long way to make pets not die all the time.
III. AAs that free up bagspace.
  • Gate necks and their quests could allow new AAs that transport to the zone in question. Several things are to be considered here:
    • Everybody now has the free AA ability to gate to his home town, starting at level 1, so code for "gate to city" AAs clearly exists already.
    • Gate necks claim a considerable portion of many peoples precious bag/bank space. Trading XP for bank space doesn't sound unreasonable.
    • Some gate necks are faction bound and should not be functional any more if the faction requirement isn't met - fortunately, code for this exists already as well, as demonstrated with murk port.
    • This should probably only be available for self-only ports.
IV. AAs that allow new and unique abilities.
  • New and interesting things are always welcome. Quests (or drops) that allow access new abilities similar to how emberflow tomes work now would be interesting. Could even be made zone specific!
V. Expendable AAs.
  • Anything from "fun" to "expensive powerful ability on a long cooldown". Simply because it is preferable to have something to xp towards than to have nothing left to get. So turning AAs into a renewable resource at some point would most likely increase people playing (outside raids).
VI. AAs connected to factions.
  • There are many factions in the game. Most of them have little to no impact on a character. Being allied (or hated enemy) to those factions should have atleast SOME impact on ones position in the world...

IV. AAs that allow new and unique abilities.
  • New and interesting things are always welcome. Quests (or drops) that allow access new abilities similar to how emberflow tomes work now would be interesting. Could even be made zone specific!
One of the reasons that the conversion from tome to AA was done was with this in mind.

V. Expendable AAs.

• Anything from "fun" to "expensive powerful ability on a long cooldown". Simply because it is preferable to have something to xp towards than to have nothing left to get. So turning AAs into a renewable resource at some point would most likely increase people playing (outside raids).

One of the reasons that the conversion from tome to AA was done was with this in mind.

VI. AAs connected to factions.

• There are many factions in the game. Most of them have little to no impact on a character. Being allied (or hated enemy) to those factions should have atleast SOME impact on ones position in the world...

There is a direct impact of being allied and hated. One in particular is a gate neck that lets you port to a city. However, it will consume a bag slot. There is also a detriment to being KOS in the form of being attacked. I think you're personally wanting this because you like to grind factions.

I don't like grinding factions. That being said, there are a few I did grind to see if there was any reason to do so. Usually there wasn't. It would be interesting to see this stuff elaborated on.

i missed the old EQ1 flavor aa's for specific classes. the "three tomes" structure kind of pooped on that in shards. would be cool to see it.

There is a direct impact of being allied and hated. One in particular is a gate neck that lets you port to a city. However, it will consume a bag slot. There is also a detriment to being KOS in the form of being attacked. I think you're personally wanting this because you like to grind factions.
Just that a lot of gate necks are not linked to any faction, with nonsensical consequences - oggok, grobb, sadri, underhill and more come to mind. And then there are factions that one can ally to, but doing so makes no difference to any other faction level past KoS - again oggok, grobb, sadri, underhill and many more come to mind - i can provide a somewhat exhaustive list if that helps.

consolidating gate necks onto a universal device or command is by no way a personal want of nwaij's. there are such requests going back many many years here by myself including some others and in my ten years+ of leading dragonkin I can not recall any instance where a guildmate has said I really am ok taking up large amounts of bank or bag space just to get around in dalaya faster.

Turning gate necks into augs to install on one item would be a wonderful idea (that way they can still be faction bound and break like dragon/giant augs, and can be used like the LOIO device). I've also wanted the same thing done to bane, in that once you acquire an item, you can turn it into a Hunter type mob who hands out augs with the same bane (and class listing) as the item handed in. Then you would just need to install them on a totem to wear like say in the unused Power slot. For many classes, carrying around gate necks AND excess bane items is a pain on the inventory management.

Last edited:
Im honestly excited to see the new AA ideas they come up with. Im keeping my expectations as low as possible so nothing disappoints.

Not trying to hijack the thread about AA's, but are power source slot items in the game? Would they work if added to the game? As I recall pre new client, it wouldnt.

Last edited:
III. AAs that free up bagspace.
  • Gate necks and their quests could allow new AAs that transport to the zone in question. Several things are to be considered here:
    • Everybody now has the free AA ability to gate to his home town, starting at level 1, so code for "gate to city" AAs clearly exists already.
    • Gate necks claim a considerable portion of many peoples precious bag/bank space. Trading XP for bank space doesn't sound unreasonable.
    • Some gate necks are faction bound and should not be functional any more if the faction requirement isn't met - fortunately, code for this exists already as well, as demonstrated with murk port.

What if you could hand in your Port Clicky to Fenthwick Fizzlebang in LOIO in order to upgrade your Ambient Accumulator with that specific port. This could be behind the full questline, or an additional item that you would need to purchase from Fizzlebang himself for a certain amount of Yclistinite Bits, and would need to be turned in with the Gate Neck.

For example: Turn in "Amulet of Athica" to Fizzlebang, your Ambient Accumulator get's update with the #Athica command, just like there is the #Lake command. Same would apply to other single-port clickies;

Code:
#SNewport
#Sadri
#Rivervale
#Erimal
#Vah
#Storm / #Scale
#Murk
#Oggok
#Kelethin
#Thurgadin
#Dreadlands
#Underhill
#Fallen
#Zmalath

As Nwaij said, this would free a lot of bags / bank space, which a lot of people need.

Nwaij is certainly not alone in wanting factions to be more meaningful in game. Staff assuming biases' has been a problem lately and this is the sort of thing where it starts to show impact on the game itself. Factions would be a great place to put expendable AAs. Or those unique abilities also mentioned (IE Tarxan or Kargyxx ally allows an AA that allows you to use a levitate effect on a timer). Factions also allow the staff to add simple rewards to an existing system giving a good return value on dev time spent implementing versus player time spent earning. Please don't brush off an idea on a personal opinion of a player.

As for gate necks; the argument has long been that the loss of an inventory slot is the cost of having the ability to port. This stood up well enough over the years but the longer the game goes on and the more content that is dropped, the value of an inventory slot increases as you need to have more quest items, clickies, gear swaps, sets for certain zones (IE Requiem, Nadox). I currently have a gate neck I could get by hailing an NPC, but I have held off on doing so because the cost of inventory is too high. Expensive AAs could work, especially if there was a small quest at ally faction to get started. Or even just make the gate necks themselves expable (read; large exp sinks) so that while you are wearing a cities insignia you are 'gaining faction for them' instead of for yourself and once the insignia is fully exp'd it can be turned in and converted to an AA ability. To add other factions in, perhaps once you are ally with a 'region' you can use an AA, for example good faction with surefall/centaurs/newport allows you to AA the newport gate neck. I think that only cities should receive the AA treatment, gate necks like murk, dreadlands/refuge, storm/scale, etc should be left as-is.

I remember making a thread about this years ago called A Keyring for Gate Necks. Idea is just as good for QOL today as it would have been then. Adding these to the Ambient Accumulator or potentially the unfolding portal might be a great, lore-relevant, way to save us all some bag space. +1 to that.

Also definitely dig the idea of faction based development. Would be cool to see both Giant and Dragon faction become more relevant past low-tier old world content.

Back
Top Bottom