A "Keyring" for Gate Necks

DodoBot

Dalayan Elder
Going through my bags the other day made me realize that many players have so little space in their inventory that they are actually banking gate necks - which totally defeats the purpose.

What I'm proposing is a quest that would give you an item that functions as a consolidator for gate necks. This piece could spawn a portal assistant mob which, upon hail, could either accept a gate neck in exchange for a flag - or port you to one of your flagged destinations via a dialogue option (think burning spirit in ToT with turnin functionality). You could only summon or speak to the mob out of combat and the cast time would be around 30 seconds to keep parity with the existing system.

The whole idea is to reduce the burden of carrying around clikies just for teleportation purposes. A quest to obtain the consolidation device could also provide a chance for creative exploration or puzzles without being a simple fetch or kill-x type task.

Heck, maybe we could throw a quest mob in the MoP, although completing a step like this would require some non-dialogue, non-combat interraction... ;)

Thoughts?

IIRC it is intentional that you sacrifice an inventory slot for the power of a gateneck. It's the downside for being able to skip the mansion of portals or find porting friends.

Honestly sounds like a lot of work for not a whole lot of benefit. How many gate necks do you REALLY need to lug around? The two ikisith necks, athica, maybe newport/sadri with gate and that covers 95% of my gating with the odd rivervale/vah thrown in once in a while. I mean two of my dudes have grobb and/or oggok necks and I can count on my hand how many times I've thought 'dang, what a useful neck'.

I totally get where you're coming from but it just seems really complex to save some slots.

Gate necks you NEED to lug around: 0
Gate necks it sure would be nice to be able to keep around: All of um.

Its a QoL change pretty sure its been suggested other times in other ways from something like the first time u use the gate neck clicky it adds it to /cm gatelist
and then you can do /cm gateuse # to designate which gate neck u want to use only usable while out of combat still has a 30 sec timer just like the clicky all the way to an NPC/Pet clicky that teleports you based off dialog options.

And honestly i come here to kill mobs not play inventory simulator 1990.

I can pretty much rule this one out. I remember asking about it as a new dev.

IIRC it is intentional that you sacrifice an inventory slot for the power of a gateneck. It's the downside for being able to skip the mansion of portals or find porting friends.

This is precisely it. So, sorry, as much as I hate to say "this won't happen," well...

I can pretty much rule this one out. I remember asking about it as a new dev.
This is precisely it. So, sorry, as much as I hate to say "this won't happen," well...
Aww... well as much as I hate to hear that, I do appreciate the reply. Be sure to let us know if that policy ever changes!

Super easy answer. Bank 'em. Gate to any city, grab the next, not to mention at level 20 you have a house, and can house to there if you die (if bound in a city) so don't even need to carry one, /cm housekey (destroy, summon at will) bank the others.

Or better yet, just remove mobs from mop, so more people would be willing to use it w/o risking death or buffs being stripped. For the record, I have little issue with the MoP. But without a doubt, after you have just full buffed and decide to risk it, a wisp you never saw will pop out and rip them off you.

Funny enough I went through mop recently on a nightblind character and it's pretty comical that you cannot see wisps in the fields without night vision. Not sure if it's a client problem there or what but it was pretty scary.

Back
Top Bottom