Share a little-known "Did you know...?" fact!

There's more poker game ones I've seen in NagA and NagB -- PITA to get to though -- I'm pretty sure every tavern named after something has one (with the namesake playing).
You were right, they're all over the place in Nagthilian (a.k.a. Neriak) A and B! I had to dig into the texture files to find these because I don't have the nerve to poke around those zones myself:

EQ%20Art%207_zps31eviyan.jpg

This batch depicts bulls, slugs, a second group of fish (these ones are wearing sunglasses because the tavern they come from is called The Blind Fish :cool:), and even a pair of mushrooms. Someone among the original developers must've really loved those poker pups.

Did you know that long time ago the best clrs on the server had a whole 5400 mana and there where 36 char raids. To do Outer Prison trash you had to have a clr cheal chain healing the main tank. You casted cheal then you used your http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Immature_Dretch_Worm_Larvae ( that used to have canni 1 spell on it and instant recast) so basicly you could do a cheal chain for a good 15-20 mins. Also Lands of Magic exsisted (Luclin). Top guilds of WR was Legacy Ruin and Phoenix Rising no other guild existed well but the older version of Dalayas Beginners. Admins that where around thoose times 2005 where Wiz , Liam , Melwin (Zodium at later stage).
Oh and ever wondered why the ww dragons have thoose names ? Well thoose where old GMs or Admins and they where all swedish.

Who was our PR guild leader again? We called him fatty (ogre warrior) and his cleric was Arcadia but i'm blanking on the name.

Love you too, Thade. Never would have my charm without you and Fuwok's assistance.
Friends help and trust is priceless.

At some point, I need to motivate, login, and put my primary secondary, and vah back in
so the kids don't think Vell was slack.

Did you know that Tears of Elael is home to a gigantic orange dragon named Inge the Voracious?

Inge%20the%20Voracious_zps76himwnd.jpg

As far as I can tell, he (she?) spawns near the glowing meteorite in the crater/canyon near the center of the zone, at which point he sets out on a path that seems to span the entire zone (apart from the Tur`Ruj Stronghold area to the northeast). Unfortunately, Inge's walkabouts always bring about his own ultimate demise; he attacks any and all orcs on sight, and while he can shred a single orc to pieces while only losing ~7% HP or so, he inevitably becomes overwhelmed once he gets too deep into orc country. Interestingly, he doesn't mind the yiv goblins whatsoever.

It's also worth noting that Inge the Voracious is the only known member of a unique faction called Brood of Kezlech that may have something to do with Ikisith 2.0. On the other hand, this little-known dragon might be nothing more than a loose end that a developer never tied up way back when Ikisith 1.0 was still in development. To my knowledge, he has been killed (by players) only once, and not only does he say/emote nothing, but his corpse left no loot whatsoever. Intriguing... o_O

I have killed it , it had no loot drops. It roams near the steel dino crater. Another little known mob in tears is "The Rocky Horror" it also had no drops but I only spawned him once a few years ago, his ph is the center golem at far end of the meteor impact crater, in fact 3 types of golem spawn there with a 3 rd being the rocky horror.

20140930152317-RHSML_-_Roxy_T-Shirt.jpg

Did you know that even the insignificant, squishy level 1 fish in the Badlands are coded to be corruptible?! :eek:

A%20corrupted%20fish_zpsyad7yjgw.jpg

I've never seen it happen myself, but I assume a spectre of corruption must occasionally wander near enough to the shoreline that it tags one of these unfortunate fish and respawns it as the corrupted version. I only just realized corrupted fish exist a few weeks ago and couldn't believe it took me this long to spot, especially since I frequent the Badlands several times a week.

Then again, even the wiki doesn't know they exist after all these years, so at least I'm not alone. :oops:

Did you know that many of the item shops, taverns, and inns around Kelethin bear signs with images lifted directly from item icons? I think it was a clever way for the Verant artists to save time while solidifying players' familiarity with these images, but I suppose a pessimist could also call it laziness. :p

Kelethin%20Item%20Images_zpstmnjsp7q.jpg

Did you know that the current client supports a new form of environmental damage? While the old client could damage your character from falling, touching lava, or drowning, 2.0 allows your character to take damage by touching the pendulum blades in Old World zones such as Red Sun Mines and Paw.

For example, attempting to mosey through this formerly harmless pendulum in Red Sun Mines...

Pendulum%201_zpsv7ulgscc.jpg

...will now yield the following spam:

Pendulum%202_zpscot9vkdx.jpg

Unfortunately, as was the case in 2.0, these pendulums aren't animated in Shards of Dalaya. I suspect there's a line of missing or broken code that would need to be fixed in order to send them a-swinging like they used to. Nonetheless, it's still cool that the client has yet another way to kill us Dalayans! :rolleyes:

Did you know many older zones contain misplaced trees that appear underneath the terrain or beyond a player's ordinary field of view? I'd guess they're the result of slapdash zone design, but they could well have been an in-joke among the Verant developers. I've seen instances of this in Darkwoods (Nektulos Forest) and Obsidian Shard Mountains (Rathe Mountains), though I know I've seen a few others in pre-Kunark and Kunark zones. Here's an example from OSM that I caught an accidental glimpse of because the camera clipped through the terrain in 3rd person mode when I got too close to a wall:

Misplaced%20Tree_zpsd7yxtwtf.jpg

Did you know the female High Elf's hair tie pulls its texture from whatever is equipped on the player's legs? If a High Elf wears leather pants (which show up as black for this gender/race), the hair tie will also take on that same appearance. The phenomenon even applies to tinted/dyed leg slot items!

High%20Elf%20Hair%20Tie_zpskapdhwhg.jpg

Out of all 30 playable character models in game, this is the only instance in which an armor texture is given a secondary cosmetic function as far as I can tell. I think the Verant developers were clever in finding a way to distinguish this player model so subtly without drawing attention to the fact that they were reusing existing assets; it took me years to realize that, among High Elf females, not all hair accessories are created equal. :rolleyes:

It seems trees aren't the only things hiding beyond the zone walls! What in the world might've been the purpose of this PoK book in Permafrost / Everchill?! I wonder if it's functional...

Everchill%20PoK%20Book_zpsrprz4mhr.jpg

Did you know that, according to the official spell parser, there's an unimplemented level 34 followup to the Cleric's popular Zealot's Strike spell called Disciples Clash in the database?

Disciples%20Clash_zpsaonpjbed.jpg

The spell properties line up with the other single-target Zealot's Strike (14) and Martyr's Intercession (60) spells. Level 34 would have been an ideal midpoint for an intermediary, too. Ultimately, Clerics were given a "spin-off" called Archon's Hammer (29) to flesh out the progression, this time healing the group instead of just the target's target. (Many non-Clerics may not have heard of this one due to a heavy blow from the nerf bat that turned it into the black sheep of the family overnight. Comparing the outdated wiki entry against the parser shows the mana cost of Archon's Hammer mana was increased by 40%, and its recast time increased by a factor of 12. Ain't no healer got time for that! :()

@Zaela likely has the full scoop on Disciples Clash. All I can guess is that it was either scrapped in favor of the more group-friendly Archon's Hammer, it was a prototype she used to test the clever, new spell mechanic, or (least likely) it was forgotten altogether. Whatever the case, it's cool to wonder about what might have been if Clerics had been given this phantom spell to play with way back in 2011. :)

archon's hammer would much better if it restored a portion of group stamina instead of or along with healing them.

head-squeeeeeze-this-fan-made-video-shows-darth-vader-using-the-force-just-a-little-too-much-gif-269411.webm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom