Share a little-known "Did you know...?" fact!

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
Did you Bards know that there is a hidden room behind the curtain in the "Explore" mode for your class? (See the first twenty seconds of this video if you want to see without having to fire up the client for yourself.) No other class has such an Easter egg in this mode.

Share some of your own obscure fun facts about the client or about SoD that others may not know! Try not to drop facts by the dozen or cool stuff is bound to be overlooked, and if you catch your jaw dropping from something another person has posted, chime in and share your reaction.

Let's see how many of us end up learning a little something through this thread. :toot:

Some of the ways to zone into the Planes are pretty neat. There's a chair in the southwest corner of Western Plaguelands that zones you to Plane of Entropy.

If you survive for more than a few seconds fighting Tarhansar, he teleports you to a bottom corner of Storm Sea. That also happened if you zoned out of Nadox from the far exit past boss 8.

It's more common knowledge to higher-end raiders, but jumping velocity and falling speed vary greatly even among different installs of SoD. This can seriously affect intended fight mechanics, such as those with GFlux.

Some of the ways to zone into the Planes are pretty neat. There's a chair in the southwest corner of Western Plaguelands that zones you to Plane of Entropy.

If you survive for more than a few seconds fighting Tarhansar, he teleports you to a bottom corner of Storm Sea. That also happened if you zoned out of Nadox from the far exit past boss 8.

It's more common knowledge to higher-end raiders, but jumping velocity and falling speed vary greatly even among different installs of SoD. This can seriously affect intended fight mechanics, such as those with GFlux.

I was wondering why when falling from plane of air to badlands some people 20k and some don't... Thanks for the insight!

I was wondering why when falling from plane of air to badlands some people 20k and some don't... Thanks for the insight!

In fact that is a check for who has levitate memmed/levitate clicky ready, and who dont?

It's possible to climb to the very top of Athica (up on the cliffs) with no levitation or movement buffs or spells of any sort for that matter.

My contribution is lame...

IIRC, if you zone from NBL to WBL at the very NW corner, you zone in significantly closer to the Centaur Hills zone line.

Actually, I'm fairly positive that this is due to two things. Fall damage is determined somewhat by character weight. A lightweight Enchanter might take 600 fall damage by falling off a high cliff into one of the canyons in Western Wastes, whereas a Warrior loaded with heavy armor may end up falling to his death from the exact same drop.

Another issue with fall speed (both non-lev and lev) is that these values are run client-side, as far as I can tell, which means that your FPS can have a huge impact on it. Try levitating a great distance as you normally would, then go back to the exact same spot and press F10 to hide the UI and run to the same spot. You should notice a marked decrease in your falling speed with the UI hidden because your FPS is much smoother.

Interestingly, a few other things have their speed affected by FPS. Find an Eye of Dreams at some Wizard spires (or equip a Mask of Lost Dreams) and compare the rate at which the eyeball spins with your UI on, then with it off. You should notice the spinning increase substantially once the UI is hidden because the FPS is higher.
__________________________________________________​

Here's something I bet most of you didn't know! Did you know you can create custom animated emotes? Type something along the lines of:
Code:
/dance charname does the Troll Twist.
OR
/dance charname dances the Gnomish Robot.
Instead of the usual "stands on his tippy-toes and does a dance of joy!" or "dances with Soandso," you actually emote the following while simultaneously doing the dance animation:
Code:
Charname does the Troll Twist.
OR
Charname dances the Gnomish Robot.
Pretty cool, huh? :dance: You need not capitalize your character name because that simply tells the client what the emote "target" is. Abbreviated forms of your name should work, too. It also works if you put "say" (which checks your actual target) or the name of another character instead of your own charname, but it will not go through if they are out of the usual emote range, and the resulting emote will be identical anyway.

Last edited:

My install falls so slowly that I can't take falling damage at all. Getting to lower altitudes can be kind of difficult even.

My previous install of SoD was from being patched up to current in Live from February 2005, then taking the steps necessary to modify it to be ready to be SoD ready from as soon as I found out that WR lived on after the CnD as SoD. It had the same gravity and falling physics as I had always known on Live.

I finally upgraded my computer of 12 years less than a year ago, but just copying files over and using the original CDs just weren't options. I decided to just use the launchpad to patch up to current Live and then use the SoD patcher to be good to go. However, I now take less falling damage and forward results seems to result in a loss of any positive run speed modification (like Selo's, TBoots, and even Innate Run Speed 3). I thus have a lot more difficulty making jumps, and some longer jumps I could formerly make, especially distance jumps from higher up, no longer seem possible.

I really don't think that it's all tied up in computer specs. I think there is something else fundamentally different between these installs that causes this.

A few other notes to be topical:

If you didn't follow that sentence "WR lived on after the CnD as SoD", then you're could use a lesson in our history. I don't know if this thread is the place for it, but it's a truly interesting topic that is still amazingly relevant to SoD today.

We could test some of this falling speed business in a really fun way, too. During some horrible pranks and GM event things, I heard both of (1) people being summoned to the tops of the floating chains in a plane I don't remember and (2) in another plane, getting mobs in another plane to get them to hit you with knockback to travel to the other islands. These events were much fun, and hopefully someone else here remembers them better than I do and can give more details. However, both involve situations where these things could be tested by players with assorted setups to see how the physics differs. Of course, staff might have a handle on how this works in SoD already, but it'd still be a lot of fun to screw around with. Those chains in Torment are rumored to be quite high up....

If you didn't follow that sentence "WR lived on after the CnD as SoD", then you're could use a lesson in our history. I don't know if this thread is the place for it, but it's a truly interesting topic that is still amazingly relevant to SoD today.

As I recall, there was a period of about a month that every account that existed before the CnD that logged in got a Froggy's Jar. I still have mine, and I kept it equipped on Tarutao for about 6 years.

We could test some of this falling speed business in a really fun way, too. During some horrible pranks and GM event things, I heard both of (1) people being summoned to the tops of the floating chains in a plane I don't remember and (2) in another plane, getting mobs in another plane to get them to hit you with knockback to travel to the other islands. These events were much fun, and hopefully someone else here remembers them better than I do and can give more details.

Both of these were part of the October 2009 "Spooky Lotto" event. The ceiling of the Plane of Torment zone (used here for the Towers of Agony) is rediculously high, and the chains that you see hanging outside of normal access boundaries are accessible with a little GMHax and can be followed many thousands of loc units upward to bases outside of draw distance.

The knockback thing was a bit of a puzzle maze built in the Plane of Sky (which was amusingly renamed for SoD as "Real men do not use levitate", a name that it still has). I wonder if that whole knockback-based puzzle maze is still constructed, actually.

For Halloween the following year (2010), the [Beautiful Dreamer] quest was introduced as a month-long quest of 4 stages relased one-per-week. It was brought back for October 2011 in response to "but I didn't get to do/finish it last year" comments and again in October 2012. I suppose it's about time to start thinking about 2013. I hate to leave people unable to do that quest, but it's kinda old hat at this point. We'll see.

---

I should put in my own little "Did you know...?" fact instead of just commenting on others, I guess. Did you know that there used to be a fast way to travel between West Badlands and Freeport and that the caves in the middle of Great Divide used to be a good place to hunt right after you started outgrowing the Lair of Paw? Here's a really old zone connection map from the WR days.

WR_Map.png

Did you know that long time ago the best clrs on the server had a whole 5400 mana and there where 36 char raids. To do Outer Prison trash you had to have a clr cheal chain healing the main tank. You casted cheal then you used your http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Immature_Dretch_Worm_Larvae ( that used to have canni 1 spell on it and instant recast) so basicly you could do a cheal chain for a good 15-20 mins. Also Lands of Magic exsisted (Luclin). Top guilds of WR was Legacy Ruin and Phoenix Rising no other guild existed well but the older version of Dalayas Beginners. Admins that where around thoose times 2005 where Wiz , Liam , Melwin (Zodium at later stage).
Oh and ever wondered why the ww dragons have thoose names ? Well thoose where old GMs or Admins and they where all swedish.

1097047_10150324054074957_170709908_o.jpg

You can make your character look like a whiny bitch baby pedophile by having an illusion on yourself and clicking it off while "ducking"

You can make your character look like a whiny bitch baby pedophile by having an illusion on yourself and clicking it off while "ducking"

Oh, wow. That resolution! :psyduck:

This is the pose that all playable race models are in when they are not animated. I call it the Vitruvian Man pose because of the similarity it bears to that famous drawing by da Vinci. (In fact, that drawing and this EQ model pose are the basis of my avatar! :dance:) It may not be very "realistic," but it is ideal for 3D artists to create texture meshes for because the pose is symmetrical and does not obscure any area of the body. For example, arms resting at the sides would leave the underarm area difficult to view.

Incidentally, this only happens if the form you click out of is of identical height to your native race. A Dark Elf clicking a Wood Elf illusion would do the pose, whereas a Gnome clicking off an Ogre illusion would not.

I like it when your model gets glitched like this and you just float around mid-jumping jack.

You can get a list of (I'm guessing) most guilds that have ever existed by using the "/lfg" command, then clicking "Additional Filters...".

Also, "He who shall not be named" once made an appearance on the server:
http://i.imgur.com/b2BX8w9.jpg (this is from an old forum post, I take no credit for it)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom