Share a little-known "Did you know...?" fact!

You can get a list of (I'm guessing) most guilds that have ever existed by using the "/lfg" command, then clicking "Additional Filters...".

Also, "He who shall not be named" once made an appearance on the server:
http://i.imgur.com/b2BX8w9.jpg (this is from an old forum post, I take no credit for it)

Holy crap. I thought that was forever lost.

Zron, Miria, and I tried so hard to get more people to come.

It was just pure rape, anyways.

The maps broken. Odeum of Profundity, Forest of the Fallen, Silent Halls, etc don't work. Clicking furiously.

That map is very cool

edit-----------

ooooo it's also making me excited for the phase two expansion. I love the lava type zones, but red sun peeks is too low level to fight in :( If skyfire has an xp spot I'd be quite happy.

Last edited:
RSP has some blue con mobs for 65's, but Red Sun Mines is a bit tougher, Fire Grottos tougher still, and Emberflow (which requires a key) is high enough to basically require raid gear or some sort. I don't know your character name(s), but check those out. Also, please put your character name(s) in your signature. People seeing you post not-horrible on the forums tends to make people want to invite you to stuff. We need to know your name for that.

P.S. Now I wanna exp there. I think I'll log on and get a group there started. You should send me a tell if you're on then.

Little known fact because it is new: There is a new button on the main page.

Would look a lot better if you had the link take you directly to the .swf, instead of just an unstyled html page with an embed:

t280A1sh.jpg

vs
XvmowWuh.jpg

Nostalgia

Did you know that long time ago the best clrs on the server had a whole 5400 mana and there where 36 char raids. To do Outer Prison trash you had to have a clr cheal chain healing the main tank. You casted cheal then you used your http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Immature_Dretch_Worm_Larvae ( that used to have canni 1 spell on it and instant recast) so basicly you could do a cheal chain for a good 15-20 mins. Also Lands of Magic exsisted (Luclin). Top guilds of WR was Legacy Ruin and Phoenix Rising no other guild existed well but the older version of Dalayas Beginners. Admins that where around thoose times 2005 where Wiz , Liam , Melwin (Zodium at later stage).
Oh and ever wondered why the ww dragons have thoose names ? Well thoose where old GMs or Admins and they where all swedish.

Did you know that if you gave Empress Penerlia some Ice Cold Milk, she'd give you back a faction bound Loop of Rage? (until 2 minutes ago)

Did you know one of the music tracks from Worms Armageddon features what I'm convinced is the sound of an EverQuest elemental being hit? I discovered this as I was playing that game a few months ago for the first time in years. I kept feeling there was something oddly familiar about one particular track -- not the music itself, but some of the ambient noises in the background. After listening to the track in question several times over, I'm convinced that it is indeed the sound of an elemental.

For reference, it can be heard at 0:26, 0:40, 1:17, and so on here:

Does everyone else hear the distinctive elemental sound, or is it simply something that sounds similar? Assuming it is the EQ sound, what in the world could the connection be? Was it part of a library of stock sounds used in other projects back around '99, when both EQ and Worms Armageddon were released? Maybe it was some kind of in-joke that has gone over my head. Whatever the case, I think it's a pretty unusual find.

I have been pretty big into games for probably 25 years now and I know a lot of sounds from old games. It's very common for them to be used in modern TV shows and movies.

And yes that sounds very much like an earth elemental.

Also animand, sorry I didn't respond for two years. I don't xp so much these days though.

edit---------

The original x-com gets a lot of use that way. Everything from x-com soldier and alien death sounds to menu sounds.

Did you know that several textures in the game reference classic works of art? I took a stroll through Southern Newport and snapped several pics to show what I mean, but I'm sure similar references can be found in other cities.

Exhibit A:

EQ%20Art%201_zpsls66vtal.jpg

First up is a painting strewn all over the Lion's Mane Inn. If you squint through the texture compression, you'll see it's a rendition of "The Mermaid" by John William Waterhouse from 1901. Incidentally, Waterhouse is my favorite painter, and recognizing this painting is what sparked my curiosity about the other art found in the zone.

====================​

Exhibit B:

EQ%20Art%202_zpsk0jckhbi.jpg

Remember those famous paintings of dogs playing poker? They were painted about a hundred years ago by a man called C. M. Coolidge. Two homages to them can be found in Newport. The Lion's Mane Inn has one showing a pride of lions gathered around the poker table, and the Fish's Ale pub features -- you guessed it -- fish trying their hand (fin?) at the card game.

====================​

Exhibit C:

EQ%20Art%203_zpsurlczlco.jpg

Here's a trio of paintings found, once again, in the Lion's Mane Inn. (The owner of that place must be a real art lover, huh?) I vaguely recognized the ones in the middle and right, but the left one had me stumped. At this point, I resorted to uploading each individual painting to Google Image Search for some guidance.

EQ%20Art%204_zps4fftodbr.jpg

Unfortunately, this first one left a cold trail; Google didn't have any suggestions as to what the painting might be. If I had to guess, I'd say this might be a modern fantasy painting depicting a female knight standing over a slain dragon, although I admit that wouldn't fit in with the rest of the paintings, all of which date from very early in the 20th century.

EQ%20Art%205_zpsu6o9tyqw.jpg

The central painting was the one I was most certain I'd seen before. Turns out it's "God Speed" by Edmund Leighton, painted in 1900. In it, we see a damsel sending her knight off to battle.

EQ%20Art%206_zpsobnu0cpn.jpg

Lastly, the painting on the right is "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" by Frank Dicksee, painted circa 1901. This is one of several works to depict the tale of a mysterious woman who lures men to their doom in the wilderness -- quite the contrast to the painting right before it!

====================​

I suppose there's no practical value in any of this knowledge, but it's fun nonetheless to see little details like this in a zone that was made when textures were limited to laughably small resolutions. In spite of that, the artist(s) behind the zone found ways to add depth to otherwise forgettable zone scenery. ;)

There's more poker game ones I've seen in NagA and NagB -- PITA to get to though -- I'm pretty sure every tavern named after something has one (with the namesake playing).

EQ%20Art%204_zps4fftodbr.jpg

Unfortunately, this first one left a cold trail; Google didn't have any suggestions as to what the painting might be. If I had to guess, I'd say this might be a modern fantasy painting depicting a female knight standing over a slain dragon, although I admit that wouldn't fit in with the rest of the paintings, all of which date from very early in the 20th century.

Clyde Caldwell - The Worm Has Turned

dQFtpmZ.jpg

What do I win?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom