Quest-Based Alignment Changes

Eustace

Dalayan Adventurer
I'd really appreciate it if these were made a lot more clear and a lot less ambiguous. As it is right now, especially the ones on the Vah. As it is right now, it's a straight up gamble. You pick the one that seems to be most right and hope it doesn't hurt your bonus.

Perhaps a tag could be added beside the answers that would tell you what the consequences of your choice are. For instance (Neutral, Good) or (Lawful, Evil) or what-not so you know where you're going to take an alignment hit. It's really unfair to leave it as a complete gamble, especially for people who don't speak English as a first language.

im still not a fan of the evil hit you take in the newport ring 3.5 sidequest, if you help the rogue's guild out with smuggling goods in

Aside of the let's make things easier request which has already been adressed, I don't remember this part of the NP ring. From the sound of it it should be a chaotic hit though.

I support the OP's idea. If even people who speak English well have problems with choosing the right options, it's even worse for non-native speakers.
So far I only managed to hit even one nail on the head with Vah and Oggok mines quests - having done them with 4 characters (with and without asking for outside help).

I think putting tags next to the options goes a little too far in breaking immersion.

I wouldn't mind seeing the text itself be a little more clear though.

It's really frustrating when I pick an option that seems the most like what someone neutral, good would pick and I get a -good hit from it. I love doing quests, but the pot-shottedness of "will this screw up my character" makes me very disinclined to try any more. I've also heard this same thing from a lot of people in-game.

If this could be addressed (just made way less ambiguous would be great) I'd be highly appreciative.

It's really frustrating when I pick an option that seems the most like what someone neutral, good would pick and I get a -good hit from it. I love doing quests, but the pot-shottedness of "will this screw up my character" makes me very disinclined to try any more. I've also heard this same thing from a lot of people in-game.

If this could be addressed (just made way less ambiguous would be great) I'd be highly appreciative.

adding brackets, bad. expounding on the nature of the task at hand, good.

love doing quests, but the pot-shottedness of "will this screw up my character" makes me very disinclined to try any more. I've also heard this same thing from a lot of people in-game.

Yes, yes very much yes. I've heard it alot, from alot of different people, in my own guild and many many others.

For lower quests its not so much an issue, as one can test the results if one is so inclined. I figured out the mines hits and tested them before I did them on aisling for example. Currently the quest system and the ambiguous nature of hits pretty much makes most people just want to go pariah, or say screw it before they swear and go divine light.

Well, i posted this because I just did the murderess part of the vah quest.

Option 1: Sort of good.
Option 2: Sort of good, but kind of ??? (Probably the one I should've picked.)
Option 3: Definately seemed good so I picked it. (HAHA NOT GOOD)
Option 4: Totally evil for sure.
Option 5: Seemed chaotic.

I screenshotted it - and was pretty irritated that instead of going from 19% to 20%, I went from 19% to 18%. What's even more irritating is that the only reason I even went through this dialogue is because I was trying to get the lodestone quest.

WTB Mulligan on this dialogue.

Well, i posted this because I just did the murderess part of the vah quest.

Option 1: Sort of good.
Option 2: Sort of good, but kind of ??? (Probably the one I should've picked.)
Option 3: Definately seemed good so I picked it. (HAHA NOT GOOD)
Option 4: Totally evil for sure.
Option 5: Seemed chaotic.

I screenshotted it - and was pretty irritated that instead of going from 19% to 20%, I went from 19% to 18%. What's even more irritating is that the only reason I even went through this dialogue is because I was trying to get the lodestone quest.

WTB Mulligan on this dialogue.

i had similar problem with the vah and wish i could redo badly.

Yeah.... I actually managed to massacre my rangers MQ alignment questions, I went for chaotic neutral and came out lawful good, I suck at these.....

I would also support the motion for less ambiguous text.

I'd really appreciate it if these were made a lot more clear and a lot less ambiguous. As it is right now, especially the ones on the Vah. As it is right now, it's a straight up gamble. You pick the one that seems to be most right and hope it doesn't hurt your bonus.

Perhaps a tag could be added beside the answers that would tell you what the consequences of your choice are. For instance (Neutral, Good) or (Lawful, Evil) or what-not so you know where you're going to take an alignment hit. It's really unfair to leave it as a complete gamble, especially for people who don't speak English as a first language.

I support this idea and all it stands for.... no need to change the text, just drop in markers of some sort next to each choice like…

CE
CG
CN
LE
LG
LN
N
NE
NG

I agree that some of the alignment portions of quests are currently misleading or at least confusing, but I do not think that a blatant label on each response is the way to go. As bummed as I was when my own diety spec dropped several points because I had trouble reading the different between lawful, chaotic and neutral good responses, I think that representing your character through "their" responses to these questions is a fun way to gain immersion.

If min-maxers (like me) want to just pick the most beneficial option at every turn, we may have to do a little bit more thinking than everyone else.

its no fun way of immersion at all, when youre having a hard time with english in the first place. its just a fun way of fuckin up ur allignment..

I'm sure it must suck to struggle with the in-game text, but I think there has to be a line at some point. Yes, the servers are based in Europe and there is a substantial Euro population, but at the end of the day the game is rendered in English, and you're going to need to be proficient at English to get as much out of the game as possible. It isn't a failing of the game that it is written in a language you do not understand.

This is in no way an attack on you, you've obviously learned enough English to communicate effectively and play, but different languages exist and the text for this game only appears in one of them.

If someone tried to get me to play some game in Japanese it would be near impossible for me, but it wouldn't mean that the game was flawed.

At the very least would it be possible to have text that tells you when you take an alignment hit? As far as I can tell, currently it only tells you if your alignment shifts (unless I have been missing something), it would be nice to know when something you do adds/subtracts from your current alignment.

On the topic of immersion:

If I'm trying to role play out someone who's absolutely devoted to Jayla's ideals, but the text is obscure and ambiguous, I cannot immerse myself in a proper role play aspect. I know out-of-character what kind of a response my character would go for based on his ideals. However, there are times when the text absolutely does not align with anything my character would say. Immersion would work more appropriately in reverse, if instead of a list of possible answers, you were given the alignment type (nature and archetype) of your character, and you could only see the answer for that alignment type. As you are stuck conforming to what the script says REGARDLESS of your alignment, this would be a more appropriate way of doing it, especially if the focus was completely on immersion.

Immersion doesn't involve guess work. It's soaking in the RP aspect of the environment. With quest dialogues, you are basically stuck with the options given to you by the Story Teller (White-Wolf RP term for the person who runs the world), and the way it is currently set there is little to no way to differentiate between how your character would respond with the given fixed set of responses. It is a complete guess, and that does not lend to immersion in the slightest bit. Rather, this detracts from the RP-aspect and ability to really get into a good story. (Lack of really good story lines is the biggest problem I have with quest lines on SoD. Most quests on here lack an intriguing story.)

The responses either need to be crystal clear, or they should be swapped so you get a fixed response that you can only see when you /cm d# your alignment.

Something else I'd like to see is a chance for people who have gotten screwed by the current pot-shottedness given a chance to redeem their borked alignment. There is currently a very limited amount of chances for alignment modifiers in SoD. I do consider this to be a game-balance issue.

Immersion would work more appropriately in reverse, if instead of a list of possible answers, you were given the alignment type (nature and archetype) of your character, and you could only see the answer for that alignment type.

Then you could never change the alignment of your character.

There is currently a very limited amount of chances for alignment modifiers in SoD.

This is what I see as the main problem. More alignment modifying quests would make the odd mis-answer not so important. With very few available, ever single faction mod counts.

No, you could change your alignment. For instance, the quest NPC asks a question, and you're given the options:

/cm d1 neutral, good
/cm d2 lawful, good
/cm d3 lawful, evil
/cm d4 etc, etc, etc

Then you could change your toon's alignment. But you'd still only see the part of the script that applies to your alignment choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom