Project Grin - Community Adept Bots by Grinkles

A Blackscale soldier stationed in the Obsidian Shard Mountains reports that a new flyer has been making the rounds among the local harpy community. The parchment is faded and fuzzy, but the outlaw's likeness is unmistakable:

08WZ65X.jpg

Grinarvil joins the Project Grin roster as a healer specialized in fighting The Wind Hag. This level 25 Druid comes with 200+ WIS, ample magic resistance, a 20% alignment bonus under Jayla, and -- being a Wood Elf underneath all that Erudite makeup -- a 2% crit heal bonus simply for being outdoors. By the time her [EXPABLE] gear is maxed out, she should gain an additional ~250 Mana.

Grinarvil's arrival will allow the overworked Grinaryth, who prefers to hunt spectres anyway, a well-deserved break from Adept double duty. Off to update the wiki page...

NOTE: This toon is currently waiting on three final T2 superior augs. The slots should be filled in the coming days.

Announcing another addition to the Project Grin lineup!

87EGutJ.jpg

Grinhugh, the project's first ever Monk, has one thing on her mind -- slaying zombies. Her archnemesis is the notorious Maggot-Infested Corpse, whose undead gang has plagued the northeastern corner of the Eastern Badlands for many a year.

The level 35 Monk has a number of tricks up her sleeve for tanking this monster:
  • High unbuffed SV Disease reduces the Adept's 175-point frontal AE to ~2 damage while still allowing Robes of the Wind to proc every single time she takes spell damage. (In fact, buffing her with a +SV Disease buff is not recommended, as she'll then resist the nuke altogether and miss out on her robe DPS.)
  • Visage of the Frilakh Master for lifetap procs, farmed courtesy of fellow Adept junkie Casiphia. (Thanks!)
  • Pristine Gladewood Amulet for an added 9% bane damage and minor DS.
  • /s 5 "Wall of Will" to completely negate the Adept's otherwise unresistable Zombie Flies charm. (As far as I know, this is the one and only method of bypassing an unresistable charm at this level, and luckily Monks happen to get the stance precisely at 35.)
  • 20% alignment bonus under Sivyana, including 250 skill in Blunt/Avoidance for optimal avoidance rate as well as high 2HB DPS with her pristine Exalted Persecutor.
Be aware that this Adept is the oddball for the 17-39 level range when it comes to respawn times; she is the only one that does not respawn every ~36 hours. Instead, she takes noticeably longer, which can make finding her up something of a pain. :( Nonetheless, Grinhugh should prove a potent opponent against this nefarious zombie wench!

For reference:
Code:
Account: communitymnk35

Password: Grinkles

I'll update the wiki page later tonight.

I've not been active in SoD lately, but I figure now is as good a time as any to tie up one loose end. Without further ado, allow me to introduce a level 26 Warrior by the name of Grinslibu who's been eager to join his Project Grin comrades for quite some time!

XIOYBgA.jpg

Bullied as a child for being smaller than his peers in Grobb, this Troll overcame his humble beginnings and made a mission of seeking out and squashing oppression wherever he might find it. This unique sense of duty has now led him to the Northern Badlands, where he has heard rumors of a frighteningly large lioness that roams the lands and terrorizes the scrawnier members of her species. Join him as he seeks to rid the Badlands of this furry menace!

Grinslibu boasts a 20% alignment bonus under Jayla, a respectable 14 worn regen on top of Troll regen, over 1500 unbuffed HP, a pretty cool weapon, and a lot of room for stat growth as his [EXPABLE] gear powers up through community use. I've already tested him vs. Huntfang using only the level 26 community CLR, and the poor Adept didn't stand a chance. Prior to this character, there had never been a designated Project Grin tank for this mob. I'm hoping that this update results in some more Huntfang gear floating around the server, especially that really cool drum for Bards.

Enjoy! ;) The wiki page has been updated.

Note: As of this post, Grinslibu is missing just a few aug slots. I'll see about filling them in over the next few days.

Another community toon is ready to join the ranks...

Introducing Grincyen, a holier-than-thou High Elf with a habit of harassing hideous and horrifyingly haunted hags! This level 35 Cleric acts as comrade-in-arms to fellow [COMPLETELY EVIL] community toon Grinhugh. Together, the two of them boast enough DPS and healing to vanquish that no-good Maggot-Infested Corpse even without any outside help -- though Grincyen is eager to put his deadly mace and favorite spell to work in the company of new friends.

Here's a rundown of some of Grincyen's strengths and perks:
  • Over 3,000 Mana
  • 20% alignment bonus under Tarhyl
  • Max 1HB skill for optimal priest DPS between heals
  • Healing Increment IV (among other focus effects)
  • Lightbearer for mana-free rez duty
  • Sorel's Prayerbeads for mana-free mini-heals in case of emergency
I'll update the wiki page today. Now go get yourselves some of this Adept's awesome loot! ;)

zI1nhND.jpg
"...quite possibly the greatest community tank ever made."
—GrinFan Magazine.
An epic Warrior at level 39.
What begins as a rebellion against
air elementals becomes much more.
And what erupts goes beyond imagination.

With 490 unbuffed magic resistance, a mighty axe
and a Lifetap buff clicky, Project Grin's fully-augged
Grinstranolus is like nothing ever seen before.
And he is only on Shards of Dalaya.

"Towers over the competition
in terms of hit points, DPS,
AE mitigation, and deity bonus."
—Grin Pro Magazine.

====================

Finally, Grinaela gets a Barbarian beefcake to help her in the ongoing struggle against Notus of the Wind! I hope the addition of this tank helps more people take down that big Badlands bully. Looking forward to seeing more people running around in that snazzy robe with a 100% spell reactive proc. :cool:

I'll update the wiki later today, but here's the login info just in case:
Code:
Username: communityWAR39
Password: Grinkles (capital G)

(And for the uninitiated who don't get the reference: :eek: Exhibit A, Exhibit B)

Last edited:
Just when Sandjaw thought it was
safe to go back in the water...

dNrAK90.jpg

Here's another community toon I finished some time ago yet never got around to officially releasing. With a respectable +25 Dodge, a targetable Enduring Breath clicky, Junkbeast's most coveted woozle, and dem underwater Froglok bonuses, Grinefri is ready to hit the beach for some heavy-duty crocodile hunting. This Paladin finally provides a designated tank for the Oasis Adept and means Grinlana, the Haunted Treant tank, will no longer need to do double duty.

Sandjaw's loot is quite nice, including a blind clicky ring (which is also a strong lightsource) and a chestplate that caps at a staggering 72 AC! I hope to see some more of these items floating around on up-and-coming characters in the future.

I'll update the wiki page tonight, but for reference:
Code:
Username = communityPAL32
Password = Grinkles

P.S.: Pretty sure Sandjaw is up as of posting this. ;)

(For anyone who missed the reference: Exhibit A)

A new challenger rises from the sea...

J2l5xHG.jpg

Introducing Gringku, an Iksar mariner with an insatiable taste for shark fin soup! Every week is Shark Week for this level 36 Monk. With a miniature wolf companion, an Armor Class approaching a formidable 1150, an unbuffed Agility of 255+, 20% deity bonus, and an Olympian-level Swimming skill of 250, this fearsome Tarhansar pledge is poised to tank Redmaw at a moment's notice!

Gringku's appearance means that the overworked Grinaenir, who was always more of a landlubber, will no longer need to play double duty between Redmaw and Tarx, the other level 36 Adept.

I hope to see more Redmaw gear in the future, especially the caster necklace that tops out at an impressive +50 AGI. ;) (Though of late, Redmaw seems to have been a popular target for up-and-coming players; you'll need to be vigilant these days if you want to fry this fish....)

The wiki page will be updated later today, but for reference:
Code:
Username: communityMNK36
Password: Grinkles (Capital G)

I combed through this entire thread and restored all the image links, which had been broken for about two months. (Thanks, Photobucket.)

And while I'm in this thread, now's as good a time as any to officially add another community toon to the roster...

==========​

The heavy rain splashed off the Shadowknight's scales as he trudged through Stinger's Bog, leaving a trail of Froglok corpses in his wake. He clenched his trusty Rotblade, adjusted the shield at his side, and took the first steps into the dungeon with one thing on his mind ― vengeance for Grizimorp the Fallen...

9j5IBVW.jpg

Introducing Grinathasar, a Level 52 Iksar Shadowknight with a beefy 24 Damage Reduction, +25 Dodge mod, 20% alignment bonus under Marlow, and a borderline insane lust for Froglok blood!

This toon has been an open secret for many months now, providing a solid tank option for those looking to earn their Ring of Supreme Vengeance through the slaughter of Lord Commander Ravioli. Apart from the nearly capped Damage Reduction rarely found on a toon of this level, his main advantage against other tanks is that he has upwards of 300 unbuffed SV Disease, making him immune to Rigatoni's previously undocumented Life Curse, a duration tap that can wreak havoc on a tank while greatly prolonging the fight.

The wiki page will be updated later today, but here's the login info just in case:

Account: communitySHD52
Password: Grinkles (capital G)

Go get your rings, everyone! And if you don't need a ring yourself, offer to play this toon for someone who does. ;)

hey grinkles are we allowed to upgrade these toons at all? i would like to work on grinathasar and beef him up as i really like doing that fight

hey grinkles are we allowed to upgrade these toons at all? i would like to work on grinathasar and beef him up as i really like doing that fight

It is a fun fight, isn't it? I love that moment of victory when multiple people get their ring upgrade!

What do you have in mind that would upgrade Grinathasar? Some of his slots could be improved upon (e.g., swapping his Adamant Kirt`sek Exoskull for a rare Granite Helm), but I'm content with where he is at the moment. 52 is a uniquely tricky level for gearing up because you can't take full advantage of most best-in-slot buyable gear due to it having a recommended level of 55 or, in some cases, 65. And more importantly, most T2+ bosses are 68+ (68 was chosen as a baseline for "serious" bosses because in 2.0 it meant they conned red at 65); a Level 52 character can only loot a level 67 corpse. :(

I'm all ears, but the effort might be better spent on other characters. On the other hand, Grinathasar is sitting at less than 30 AAs currently, and his Ravioli ring is only level 14/25; is exp partly what you had in mind?

Hey what happened to this? (And Draist's characters)
Protective custody. (Someone was deleting those characters and their belongings despite guestlock. They will be available again once we got around to prevent that from happening.)

Protective custody. (Someone was deleting those characters and their belongings despite guestlock. They will be available again once we got around to prevent that from happening.)
I was hoping this could be looked at. The toons were great and it is unfortunate what happened. Grinkles and Draist put a lot of effort into these guys.

On Project Draist I and a select few have access but all the toons that were damaged were never fixed which complicated doing a public release in a climate where there could be a re-occurance.

On another note keep in mind that even if they do come back many of them will have been nerfed by all the low level changes they did a few patches back which included a bunch of nerfs to adept gear. they would still be pretty strong just not as much as they used to be.

On Project Grin looks like Grinkles never got access back to their toons. not sure if they are asking for access back or not at this point.

On Project Draist I and a select few have access but all the toons that were damaged were never fixed which complicated doing a public release in a climate where there could be a re-occurance.

On another note keep in mind that even if they do come back many of them will have been nerfed by all the low level changes they did a few patches back which included a bunch of nerfs to adept gear. they would still be pretty strong just not as much as they used to be.

On Project Grin looks like Grinkles never got access back to their toons. not sure if they are asking for access back or not at this point.

Still, the two of them spent years putting these together. If there is still a risk then give them back privately and let them choose? It is likely disheartening to those two. Even if they are not pushing for the restoration, I think it should still be something that is worked on. Can't each toon just be reverted to the day before the joker started destroying them?

Back
Top Bottom