Known installation quirks

lynnettell

Dalayan Elder
Once you receive your e-mail accepting you to beta, it will contain a download link. First VERY important thing is DO NOT RENAME THE .exe FROM sodpatcher. Rename your 2.0 install so you can keep them separate, but not the new one. For now, it gets super cranky if you do that.

It's a good idea to update all sound, video, etc., drivers prior to installation.

Do not have anything except Run after Patch checked. There is no need to use bind affinity that I've noticed (Gargate said he ran worse with it checked) even when boxing.

Windows XP -
Unable to inject DLL
Temporary fix - This is only temporary because you seem to crash every zone if you bypass
Check the box saying Bypass DLL injection
DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING XP!

Win 7 (and probably Vista)

Unable to load game process
Fix - Uncheck the box that says use EQW

Unable to access resources/slideshow
Fix - Right click & run as administrator

Unable to load dx9***.dll
Fix - Even if you are on DirectX 10 or higher, you can run prior versions side by side. Install DX9.
Link - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

NET 2.0 Framework link - 64 bit - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6523
x86 - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1639

Patcher stays open after launching the game:
It's that part that says Run After Patch. If you check that, the patcher closes. If you don't, then it stays open.

Error during patching, do you wish to run anyway?
Yep! And before you hit yes, check your log file and save a copy of it. Right now there's a few zone files kicking that error up, so the Devs need to know what is happening.

Application Error: unable to reference memory at...
Right click & run as administrator.

Spoiler alert: I'm not the best with computers.

When I click Patch and Run I get an error "Unable to download patcher information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Any ideas on that?

Spoiler alert: I'm not the best with computers.

When I click Patch and Run I get an error "Unable to download patcher information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Any ideas on that?

I had that as an issue when I started in beta, my main sod live patcher is on my desktop not a shortcut, so what I did was put the 2.5 patcher in my beta folder then made a shortcut for my desktop.

Patcher has been updated, most of these should no longer be an issue. The biggest is the d3dx9_30.dll issue, but Kero's link above makes that go away. I haven't been able to reproduce the XP problem yet, but we changed something so maybe it self corrected. Feedback welcome on that. But as of today, Beta 8 is the current version and is far more stable.

Oh, no one will miss the news from 2005 or the EQ "Vote For Us!" message that plagued us, either.

I can patch just fine, and can get to server login screen just fine, but when I select the server and hit enter the black load screen comes up and just freezes every time. Anyone had this issue?

So since this got bumped... I get the d3dx9_30.dll thing.... but the above and all links I can find besides potentially sketchy third-party links all just lead the the download windows 10 page. I finally caved and tried one of said third-party pages, and now I just get a different error, "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application." What am I being dumb and missing?

So since this got bumped... I get the d3dx9_30.dll thing.... but the above and all links I can find besides potentially sketchy third-party links all just lead the the download windows 10 page. I finally caved and tried one of said third-party pages, and now I just get a different error, "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application." What am I being dumb and missing?
this. same error. when i click the link it goes to windows10 download/install page

edit: should also mention I searched on the microsoft page for the dx9 install and downloaded it and ran it, and it said to the effect "must be running not windows 10 to install this" and I am running windows 10. halp

There's actually alot of dx9 related bugs with windows 10, dx12 is suppose to be backwards compatible but some odd points are coming up.

Good example is Borderlands 2/TPS , windows 7 I ran 2880x1620 never below 60-65fps, avg around 75 and highs of 90fps. Under windows 10 I'm getting lag spikes dropping fps to as low as 24 when lots of things are being kicked up or blown to pieces.

I can patch just fine, and can get to server login screen just fine, but when I select the server and hit enter the black load screen comes up and just freezes every time. Anyone had this issue?

I get this too. Though technically it isn't frozen, just ends up being black screen for ~3 minutes before loading bars show up.

When I try loading in a toon it freezes for good (have yet to successfully load in). No error messages show up.

I am trying to download the new patcher and I keep getting this error... "Unable to replace patcher: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." Any thoughts?

So you get that error message when you click on that link? Are you trying to overwrite an old version of the patcher or something?

As far as files going in specific places -- I intall my eq client into a custom directory -- C://Shards of Dalaya/Client -- and then I put the patcher in C://Shards of Dalaya and point the patcher to that client directory.

Ok, So I just moved everything to the set up you have for file location and I am still receiving that error. Not sure what to do now.

Could you post a screenshot of the error please?

Some troubleshoots:
  • Try a completely clean install (rules out a bad install) -- on that note what source are you installing eq from?
  • Try an install on a separate drive (rules out drive damage)

Back
Top Bottom