Elaborate idea.

I intentionally didn't make a value judgement, but the idea of tiered chests isn't an accident and has worked as intended for more than a year now.

Popping whatever elaborate chests you happen run across during the hours you raid 1-3 days a week in ToT is not the fastest way to get your guild their quests done. Players/guilds who check and pop all chests as often as possible will get the most quest pieces; the difference between instant respawning an elaborate chest and waiting on the normal timer increases this effect: more time spent with chest hoopla, the more good chests you will find. Co-ordinate with your guild and have each person check once or twice a week, and see how your results change!

On another hand, I do like the idea of making the other chests more than just some shit in the way of real chests, but I don't think that making the regular chests drop elaborate chests is a sensible solution.

Players/guilds who check and pop all chests as often as possible will get the most quest pieces

Is this really true about popping them though? People are constantly checking whether they pop them or not so while it ups the odds an elab will spawn I don't get how it ups your odds of getting to said elab before someone else. I just really think it's a poor luck-based system and just because it's something that has existed for so long doesn't mean it's beyond reproach. I keep waiting for the old guard to show up about how this would make the game easy for babies etc etc.

On another hand, I do like the idea of making the other chests more than just some shit in the way of real chests

Agreed

I think it would be a good change if the elab piece was more available during normal raiding. To accomplish this without making the ToT weapon common I would recommend changing the chest quest piece drop rate to something like:

Elab 25%
Ancient 15%
Giant 10%
Small 7%

Guilds who routinely raid in ToT would have a better chance to complete weapons. Snipers can still score, but less effectively. This would solve the issue of people not wanting to open chests because they wont be around for respawn. Percentages could be adjusted to maintain elite status of ToT weapon.

are you talking about keys or chests, because having 25% of chests be elabs is insane, and having 25% elab keys is just wasteful

Pretty sure what he's saying is that he wants the QP to drop from elabs 25% of the time, ancients 15% etc (he also stated that the numbers should be adjusted.) I actually really like this idea.

i also hate the elab system for the same reasons but on the other hand guilds who put in work get their pieces.. in many ways it's easier than getting your archaic so i dunno

i also hate the elab system for the same reasons but on the other hand guilds who put in work get their pieces.. in many ways it's easier than getting your archaic so i dunno

My archaic took me 9 months because the left frag would just NOT DROP FOR ME ARGHHH.

That said, there were people in my active raiding guild who were constantly doing 3 wings in ToT + tracking multiple times every day who after over a year still didn't have their QP. I really think that this change would also help guilds who don't have time to be tracking at odd hours of the night when they can't sleep (read: normal people) actually have a chance at getting theirs done.

waldoff said popping allot of the lesser chests will lead to a higher rate of getting the elabs.

yes that makes sense.

also said that steel and fusion knew this,must have been lost in time....

Okay here's the thing how many guilds were doing ToT then, they listed 2.... there's min 6-8 guilds tracking ToT for elabs atm so the odds are even if you pop every chest in ToT as often as they spawn you will more then likely just get sniped by ppl popping zero chests.

seems like allot of work for little to no reward or a great deal of reward for little to no work dosn't sound like a decent balance imo.If you kill the wings and boss's you should have a higher rate of elabs not just walk in track and snipe.

waldoff said popping allot of the lesser chests will lead to a higher rate of getting the elabs.

yes that makes sense.

also said that steel and fusion knew this,must have been lost in time....

Okay here's the thing how many guilds were doing ToT then, they listed 2.... there's min 6-8 guilds tracking ToT for elabs atm so the odds are even if you pop every chest in ToT as often as they spawn you will more then likely just get sniped by ppl popping zero chests.

seems like allot of work for little to no reward or a great deal of reward for little to no work dosn't sound like a decent balance imo.If you kill the wings and boss's you should have a higher rate of elabs not just walk in track and snipe.

Hi, I was in fusion. We (and a few other guilds) had a nice little bug going for us that every time the zone crashed the chests were re spawning apparently creating a higher chance for elabs to be up (or so I was told.)

Given that Generals is the final encounter in ToT, perhaps on defeat they could have a small chance of spawning an elaborate chest?

Given that Generals is the final encounter in ToT, perhaps on defeat they could have a small chance of spawning an elaborate chest?

Generals loot is already highly lucrative.
Adding elab to boss(es) doesnt help with the lesser chests problems.

I really think my recommendation above provides the cleanest fix in that it would make elab qp more about putting in your time and less about capitalizing on someone elses work / having lucky dice.

Last edited:
Hi, I was in fusion. We (and a few other guilds) had a nice little bug going for us that every time the zone crashed the chests were re spawning apparently creating a higher chance for elabs to be up (or so I was told.)

Not as far as I knew, and so was I. Depending on who you got that information from I would doubt it's veracity. We did however have reason to believe popping chests led to a higher rate of elabs in steel, possibly because it seems the only reason for large amounts of horrible garbage that no one raiding the zone could possibly need dropping from them, also it would be similar to pretty much everything in the game (ph).

every time Tower of Tarhyl used to reboot all chests used to respawn as different types of chests. This doesn't happen anymore as far as I know.

Fusion, Steel, Ruin, PR, Exodus, CW, Numinous, Giggly, TU(for parts)...this would switch in and out, but it was still normally 5-8 guilds. Pretty much comes down to: Be Better. Put the time and effort in. Hope RNG likes you. Welcome to SOD.

As per archaics, its all RNG. Ive seen people finish one in 1 month and Luas never get his in 4 years+.

Last edited:
Thanks Kazimir for clearing up how many guilds there were then going for elabs,sadly though many have pointed out there was a glitch/exploit that lead to alot more chests being cycled.

As far as being better well we have cleared all but generals and the well,mostly because theres to many other targets to hit as of late and lack of the well being up when we raid.

Getting flagged for thaz 1/2,UC keying "which we downed leechmaster recently are first trip there not bad" and working on flagging for ikky raids.

I can say this the 2 ToT weapons are guild has gained were from chests we sniped further proving some sort of fairness needs worked out.

To me, Elab chest pieces are much worse than live cleric epic, I've been trying for over a year to get one, and can prolly expect to spend another 2years or more and by then, the item will be completely worthless.
I am curious how many elab quest pieces actually drop in a year tho

Back
Top Bottom