Dyes

"Sets" of armor are pretty dumb and limiting. Noone's going to go for a full set of armor if there's better available, and there will be.

Status is still thumbs down.

melwin said:
"Sets" of armor are pretty dumb and limiting. Noone's going to go for a full set of armor if there's better available, and there will be.

My bard is wearing almost a full set of Masterwork Plate. Didn't have a leggings mold however, so I got Sapphire legs. I would wear the Masterwork legs instead though. So I guess you could say SOME people wouldn't wear a full set of armor.

We don't all play the same or for the same reasons. :)

LuciferBlack said:
Liquidtoxin said:
One had to work to get a symmetrical suit of armor, and you knew who was cool when you saw someone with a matching set of armor.

So let's get some more "sets" of armor in game similar to Crafted, Ravenscale, Ivy Etched, etc.

Then no need for dyes and people can have their full suits of armor.

Again, the point has been missed. It doesnt matter how many 'sets' of armour there are - the point is - people will always gravitate towards the best for their class. That means everyone will be following the same patterns for item choice sooner or later.

i.e. In a given period when everyone has managed to acquire the best bracer, the best bp, the best legs for their particular class, everyone will begin to look the same more or less. (and this is a reality on a community as small as WR where its already difficult to differentiate one monk from another or one warrior from another - to give an example coltaine and Ritter look almost identical on my screen - both silver from head to toe with no helm graphic - what the hell is unique about that ? no pun intended to either <3 ).

Dyes will give everyone an opportunity to look the way *they* want to look.

LuciferBlack said:
melwin said:

My bard is wearing almost a full set of Masterwork Plate. Didn't have a leggings mold however, so I got Sapphire legs. I would wear the Masterwork legs instead though. So I guess you could say SOME people wouldn't wear a full set of armor.

We don't all play the same or for the same reasons. :)

People at a level of play where dyes would be attainable if they were put on WR wouldn't go for "sets" of armor, as evidenced by the complete lack of either full Draconic or full Ornate. No single character on the server has a fully visible set, to my knowledge.

The EQLive dyes didn't dye your armour though...

They added a colour filter to everything you put on in that slot until you changed it, it didn't feel like you were wearing that armour anymore, it took a lot away from the roleplay and reality of the world seeing bright pink and multicoloured people everywhere, I prefer people to EARN their good looks. If I see someone wearing a red tunic i want to beable to think 'oh cool he must have killed a red dragon' and such..

If there was a system to dye actual items that would be more preferable, where bright colours were very hard to earn or make and shades of grey and black were easier.. but SoE's system is game devestating to me.. also an item dyeing system would be a lot of work and not worth it compared to other things.

Yeah, like I said before. Not a big deal. I'm at work and slightly bored at the moment. Therefore I just debate for somethign to do.

/em dumps dyes completely from the want list.

So about rogue poisons... :-D

Kjia and Maimai said:
took a lot away from the roleplay and reality of the world

I think that ship sailed a long time ago...

for example, cloth pants worn on the head here on WR - that is no more silly than seeing a brightly coloured troll.

If anything dyes will help maintain people's sense of 'roleplay' not that it matters. I suspect you're quite new here or have recently come from live where everyone has lost the plot. I think you'll find people here are more sensible.

daimyo said:
Kjia and Maimai said:
took a lot away from the roleplay and reality of the world

I think that ship sailed a long time ago...

for example, cloth pants worn on the head here on WR - that is no more silly than seeing a brightly coloured troll.

If anything dyes will help maintain people's sense of 'roleplay' not that it matters. I suspect you're quite new here or have recently come from live where everyone has lost the plot. I think you'll find people here are more sensible.

Jeez, we put in a little humor (HEADPANTS) and you get all up in our grill :(

Liquidtoxin said:
Did you guys play the same game I did on live?

Dyes ruined the fun of having different types of armor. One had to work to get a symmetrical suit of armor, and you knew who was cool when you saw someone with a matching set of armor. Armor should have a legacy behind it; you should be able to see that Chestplate of Eternal Doom from a mile away. All dyes ever did was give everyone the power that only the hard-working people used to have. In a word, dyes are Communism. Yes, Communism.

I never want to see this crap in WR. IMO, it was one of the large downfalls of EQlive.

Let me, once again, refer to my most important point

However, I think it would be better if they were a No Drop item commonly found in raid/high-end zones.

You can even make it an uncommon drop, all I'm saying is make it HARD to attain. I don't see how that would ruin any of the things you mentioned.

I still maintain that adding them as expensive GM point items would be acceptable. That way the devoted, regarless of their ubberness, could win them. Whats so different when you compare the ability to change one peice of armor at a time via GM points with the ability to buy a custom title?

millenimy said:
I still maintain that adding them as expensive GM point items would be acceptable. That way the devoted, regarless of their ubberness, could win them. Whats so different when you compare the ability to change one peice of armor at a time via GM points with the ability to buy a custom title?

That's fine if you happen to play in a timezone or timeframe that co-incides with GM events. Unfortunately, for people like me, most GM events are hosted when we're normally asleep. So that system can't be applied fairly to everyone on WR.

But that would be like saying: It isn't fair for people to have conopic jars or dem's aliminium pants. They are just 'out' there if you really really want them.

millenimy said:
But that would be like saying: It isn't fair for people to have conopic jars or dem's aliminium pants. They are just 'out' there if you really really want them.

The difference is, GM points provide an alternative method for acquiring what you could otherwise acquire through normal interaction in the game, with the exception of an item or two which would only be saught by a class or two anyway. (both canopic and dem's are very limited in their use)

Dyes on the other hand are universal and would be saught by everyone, including im sure most of the people here who've been trying to veto it, if it did get introduced.

If by some sick twist of fate this was implimented, please SOMEBODY make in insta ban hotkey for trolls in pink armor :eek:

daimyo said:
millenimy said:

That's fine if you happen to play in a timezone or timeframe that co-incides with GM events. Unfortunately, for people like me, most GM events are hosted when we're normally asleep. So that system can't be applied fairly to everyone on WR.

Which timezone would that be?

daimyo said:

Yeah, we only have me, Wiz, Homogenn and sp4mm around that timezone. (SARCASM LOL WHOA)

There's just not a lot of GM events at all right now, and mostly, GM events on WR are focused on a small amount of people. I do some grand scale events once in a while, but players are generally a bunch of ungrateful assholes about those quests so noone does them anymore. And I'm not talking a small bitching minority here.

I've never been able to attend a GM event in the four months I've been here :( (I could have attended the masses event, but I was around my low twenties)

Personally the only reason I liked the dyes on live was simply put Dark elves should never wear any color besides Black or really Dark Purple as per thier heritage. And before you decide to think I know nothing about the Drow/Dark elf race, Ill tell you right now I've prolly read on that specific race for longer than alot of you have been living (not all of course but alot hehe). Drows are a Dark and evil guided race for the most part (yes Drizzt Zak were good guys to an extent) but thier armour/weapons have always been a darker shade either through countless body counts with blood or by design. Now a Dark Elf in lovely green white badge etc etc is completely disturbing and to be honest its enough to make me physiclly puke. Im currently wearing a white robe as a Dark Elf Mage and Id about kill for a way to wear a black one. So in the refrence that dyes ruined RP is totally bogus the RP was ruined by the persons themselves. True RPers are few and far between Im talking the people that can actually tell you anything you want to know about chosen race/class thier god evil or good and the ability to think outside of the box. All these things make for RP and MMORPGs are really about RP. They are labled rpg but for the most part its a bunch of people running around slaying a creature for no other reason that he has this that or the other as a drop which you need. a true Rper doesn't do things like this they hafta think about things like How would they know the creature drops this? How would they know the creature existed. What specific reason do I have to kill this specific creature? Now some people think this is limited by the players themselves which I know to be a crock and a lame excuse used by the people that create the games to remove blame from themselves. Take everquest for instance the object in pure and simple terms is to do one of a few things. Group kill monsters gain levels, Solo kill monsters gain level, Do quests kill creatures or make what you need to do quest gain gear gain levels, and last but certainly not least group gain levels solo gain levels hit level 65 set xp to AA kill specific mobs for specific upgrades become uber =). Now a player can only do so much with what hes given of course and the rest they have to rely on others to accomidate for them. (THIS IS NOT A SLAP AT WR IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM IF YOU TAKE IT AS SUCH THATS NOT MY FAULT!!! lol) Another game that did this quite well was Ultima Online which in the beginning was extreamly easy to be an RPer if you chose to. Murderers thieves around every turn monsters to hunt to be a hero or whatnot. To make money to purshase upgrades that at any time could be taken away from some awful villian whom youd hunt down with your guild mates later on hehe. BUT then Trammel came out destroyed the economy and a large source of RP. The problem with an MMORPG isnt normally the RPers its the amount of ppl that play a MMORPG that dont even try to RP.

Point of the story dont blame an item or anything else on hurting RPing in a game but blame the players themselves that are the ones ruining it.

I do on the other hand agree that I like the ideas of dyes for players that want to use it in an RPing form that are willing to bust thier buns to get it. Make it a VT key type quest just to get 1 dye hehe.

I would just like to point out that there are no Drow in this game. This is not a game set in the Forgotten Realms, and if you had read the lore for this game, you would have seen that Dark Elves are a variation of Humans who (like many of the other races), were altered due to a magical residue that was a by-product of a grand scale magical war between Human tribes. (Well, that's a rough version of what happened, go read the Lore for more information)

Also, there were no Drow on Live. There, the Prince of Hate, Innoruk, captured the first King and Queen of the Elves and tortured them for a centuary, creating the first Dark Elves (if I remember correctly, been a while).

Either way, no Drow - here or any other game that isn't based on D&D. Didn't it seem odd to you that so many were walking about getting a sun tan?

As you might be able to tell, this is a pet peeve of mine. Sorry for the rant, but please, the small amount of Lore this game has available to it is excellent and I urge anyone interested in the world they play in to read it.

....Uh, and as for dyes, super rare earthen tones, maybe. But I never used them on Live, and I wouldn't here. Hot pink + Lime Green = Game-breaker.

Back
Top Bottom