Dyes

Elysium

Dalayan Adventurer
I have thought about it, and I'm thinking maybe they should be in the game... However, I think it would be better if they were a No Drop item commonly found in raid/high-end zones. This way, the high levels (who seem to be the ones with mix and match armors) can look how they want, without everyone looking like they have a snazzy set of armor.

What's the official word on dyes at the moment?

Elysium said:
Yeah, it's not the biggest deal... But hey, I needed to make a thread. ;)

What's so trivial about dyes? It gives tradeskillers something to do. A friend of mine had a in game girlfriend who was a cleric and he picked up dyes to color her armors to her favorite color of cherry red. She looked awesome in a full armor of cherry red. Real head turners there.

There should be more to the game than just bashing heads and get some ph4t l3w7. Give tradeskillers something to do.

Yiz

yizuman said:
Elysium said:
Yeah, it's not the biggest deal... But hey, I needed to make a thread. ;)

What's so trivial about dyes? It gives tradeskillers something to do. A friend of mine had a in game girlfriend who was a cleric and he picked up dyes to color her armors to her favorite color of cherry red. She looked awesome in a full armor of cherry red. Real head turners there.

There should be more to the game than just bashing heads and get some ph4t l3w7. Give tradeskillers something to do.

Yiz

Look up Diamondine Jewelry Sometime ;)

Dyes were a introduced a tad hastily on live I agree, but we, as a guild, did find that they really had great uses...

On a raid of 40+ ppl it can be difficult to find certain key ppl - the MT for example: If you have 3 ogres smacking mobs all with stormbreaker/Ornate legs/Ytraz it can be a little conusing who the main assist is to be.

"On live" (hate the comparison) Our tanks all had vastly different colour combinations making it easy to identify who the main assist was fighting. (it is far easier to see distinct colours than a flashing mob name, particualry when you have names minimised to assist with lag)

The dyes allowed folks to really indiviualise them selves and thus make them very easy to identify QUICKLY.

While I wouldn't like to see dyes exactly the same as live - I don't think the idea should be thrown out psrticualry as the player base and guild sizes are growing

I can see how dyes would be something great for customization of character, but it shouldn't be anything to sweat over. Maybe when everything else has the kinks worked out of it, or when the GM's have implemented what they plan to, they could work on it, but it shouldn't be that big of a priority.

Think it would be nice having equipment dyes, BUT ONLY if each kind of equipment had a limited colour range, something to avoid trolls in pink platemail and such stuff. How many of you have desired to get the Decomposing Platemail to look like a real breastplate? just an example ;)

No. I hate how dyes destroyed the uniqueness of your equipment. What if you got an Ytrazliarch and some newbie could change his Crude Shortsword into looking just like it? It takes away the ability to look at someone and say "Wow, a Combine Breastplate. He must be a great player." There are multiple old world examples of this:

"Wow, that mage has a robe of the elements, he's committed."

"Holy shit, a warrior with full crafted, that cost a lot."

"Woah a rubicite breastplate, you're lucky man."

Being able to quickly identify key equipment like this is important in my opinion, and also helps set goals for the newer population.

Siquros said:
Being able to quickly identify key equipment like this is important in my opinion, and also helps set goals for the newer population.

Could you let us know what is so important about it? As for setting "goals" for the newer population...wtf? Are you serious? A breastplate color is someone's GOAL in this?

Armor dying isn't going to make or break the game for most people and it's not going to affect game mechanics at all.

The plus is that some people will be happy that their armor matches...the downside is some people won't feel so important based on the color of their shoes. So what...

Making armor the same color is like using the same face on a character. So you might look like someone else. Then I guess people might have to like you for your personality or your playing style instead of your phat loots.

If armors can't be dyed, maybe we can get more visible sets then. So people at least have the option of form over function if they so desire.

Personally there's something disturbing to me when I look at a rainbow rogue or a sunshine shadow knight.

Seriously though, this is low on my "wants" list. Rogue poison is first... auto twist for bards is second. And really that's about it for my list. The rest is gravy...

Evil Gorilla Icon said:
A breastplate color is someone's GOAL in this?

Obviously, it is, if dyes were implemented.

I kind of agree with Sigur Ros here anyway. Rabb is Rabb. No other cleric looks like him. There was some bug a while ago where PCs ended up in other zones for some reason (as NPCs or something). It was weird and I don't remember exactly. But someone OOC'd asking if Rabb was the cleric with the teal helm and the light blue bp and light blue leggings. Or something to that effect. I don't remember. Anyway! my point is that I look fairly unique, and dyes CAN take away from that. I can see the benefit for MTs and such though...

If dyes do go in, they should be so ridiculously expensive that no one can use them. :p

Siquros said:
No. I hate how dyes destroyed the uniqueness of your equipment. What if you got an Ytrazliarch and some newbie could change his Crude Shortsword into looking just like it? It takes away the ability to look at someone and say "Wow, a Combine Breastplate. He must be a great player." There are multiple old world examples of this:

"Wow, that mage has a robe of the elements, he's committed."

"Holy shit, a warrior with full crafted, that cost a lot."

"Woah a rubicite breastplate, you're lucky man."

Key part of my original post:

However, I think it would be better if they were a No Drop item commonly found in raid/high-end zones.

As long as you the make the dyes difficult to attain, there won't be too much destroying the "identification of items". Don't the high lvls deserve to look good? ;)

Use /target for main tanks or if you really have to click on them im sure imp illusion or something would be enough. I think using that as a big reason is pretty poor :p

dyes would really be awesome :) been asking for those since a year hehe.

the thing is, to those people saying it would take away from uniqueness or w/e i think you're being a little short-sighted here and possibly a bit selfish.

With a little bit of imagination - something that a community as small as WR can accomodate - there is no end to the possibilities for cool colour combinations and even more unique looking characters, if that is what interests you.

I mean lets face it, sooner or later everyone is gonna start looking pretty much identical as everyone will be looking to get the best types of items for their classes. e.g. all monks will get such and such a robe, all rangers will be going for frost king bow etc etc.

So I do think dyes are definately needed, and should be available to all. at the end of the day this is about having FUN, and i think in a community that is this small, that aspect could be easily maintained without seeing 50_random_clones.

daimyo said:
dyes would really be awesome :) been asking for those since a year hehe.

the thing is, to those people saying it would take away from uniqueness or w/e i think you're being a little short-sighted here and possibly a bit selfish.

With a little bit of imagination - something that a community as small as WR can accomodate - there is no end to the possibilities for cool colour combinations and even more unique looking characters, if that is what interests you.

I mean lets face it, sooner or later everyone is gonna start looking pretty much identical as everyone will be looking to get the best types of items for their classes. e.g. all monks will get such and such a robe, all rangers will be going for frost king bow etc etc.

So I do think dyes are definately needed, and should be available to all. at the end of the day this is about having FUN, and i think in a community that is this small, that aspect could be easily maintained without seeing 50_random_clones.

You're one of the people who voted that EQlive should have horses aren't you :p

Bet those who don't want dyes are boys, because you know, the girls, they like their outfits to match!<3

Anyway, no big deal, this would be definitely something to pursue only in in the spare time for the developers, sometime down the road, whenever. :D

Did you guys play the same game I did on live?

Dyes ruined the fun of having different types of armor. One had to work to get a symmetrical suit of armor, and you knew who was cool when you saw someone with a matching set of armor. Armor should have a legacy behind it; you should be able to see that Chestplate of Eternal Doom from a mile away. All dyes ever did was give everyone the power that only the hard-working people used to have. In a word, dyes are Communism. Yes, Communism.

I never want to see this crap in WR. IMO, it was one of the large downfalls of EQlive.

Liquidtoxin said:
One had to work to get a symmetrical suit of armor, and you knew who was cool when you saw someone with a matching set of armor.

So let's get some more "sets" of armor in game similar to Crafted, Ravenscale, Ivy Etched, etc.

Then no need for dyes and people can have their full suits of armor.

I like the Wyvernfang quests for 20's-30's level, but warriors, paladins, shadowknights, bards, and clerics all potentially look the same. :( Same with rogues, shaman, and rangers.

Back
Top Bottom