Class Rankings

Silosobi

Dalayan Pious Diety
I was remembering Cinn's old class rankings post, and things have changed a lot since then, so I thought I would make a new class ranking post to give newer players an idea of how classes match up, as well as just prompt some discussion/debate.

Disclosure: I will do my best to rank classes by their overall usefulness and viability through the entire game, but at the end of the day, I value raid/6man content more highly, and I play mostly with very high end toons, I remember lower tiers, and see some recent parses and players, but this will be most accurate for high tier classes. Rankings are also RELATIVE to their respective role in the game, so it doesn't matter if you think a warrior is stronger than a rogue. What matters is how a warrior stacks up to other tanks, and how a rogue stacks up to other dps, and the overall utility / other traits a class brings to the table, because a rogue generally won't take a warriors spot and vice versa.

Shit tier:

Beastlord: The shaman/monk hybrid that fights alongside their trusty Warder pet. Beastlords are a utility/dps class, but at the end of the day, they don't bring enough of either to the table to let them stack up against other potential suitors for a group/raid spot. They can't tank. Their heals are weak. Their dps is terrible. Their utility is nice, but no where near enough to balance out their weaknesses.

Low Tier:

Druid: The nature-loving heal class brings a ton of solo/questing utility to the table, and has some potent and efficient healing, but they are the lowest dps of the healers, and the 6 second tic system their HOTs rely on results in a lot of wasted heals, especially in the raid game.

Rogue: I feel a bit weird putting rogues here, since they are one of best dps classes in the game, but they are also probably the most one dimensional class in the game, and get shut down by fight mechanics more often than others. There is tons of content where rogues excel, but even then they don't bring anything to the table other than dps.

Magician*: Magicians are the pet masters. They do some solid spell dps as well, and most raids will be happy to have one magician along for their DS and mod rods. They end up with a lower rank for a similar reason to rogues, in that their dps is shut down by more mechanics than most other classes, and their pet(s) can die in AE situations. Rains are locked into a single location, take forever to cast, and damage the mage if they are forced on top of them. This renders the mage quite low dps on some fights.

Mid Tier:

Magician with all class tomes*: They suffer from the same shortfalls as above, but magician class tomes are such a significant dps boost, that a mage with all of them complete becomes far more desirable for their dps potential.

Warrior: The pure meele tank class, that received a very cool new ability system, is not to be underestimated, their mitigation is the best in the game and their abilities allow for some dynamic play, but when you compare them to the other two tank classes, they just don't bring as much to the table in most situations.

Wizard: The king of magical burst damage has a lot of growing pains, with lower sustained damage than others(until high tiers/mana pool), and suffers greatly on content with elemental resistances. Wizards used to be much stronger, but changes to the vah back, channeling, and AOD impacted wizards significantly more than any other class. Wizards tend to be benefit more from gear/exp more than most others, and a super maxed out high end wizard might slip into the High Tier, but more generally they are mid tier right now.

Monk: Recent monk changes really lifted this class up, or they would have been Low Tier, but right now they can produce some very solid dps numbers, while being a decent off tank, and retaining their utility through FD, mend, invulnerability, etc. Monks might even be borderline High Tier now, they are desirability on nearly all 6 man, and can do very nice single target dps, but they do suffer from being meele ranged, and losing dps when targets change.

Shaman: Shamans are a solid class throughout the game. They have absurd mana regen, and can put out solid single target healing, single target dps, or both. They are a premier 6 man member through most of the game for their ability to heal a tank for days on end. They also have some of the best debuffs in the game, although these are no where near as important as they were on live.

High Tier:

Necromancer: The evil/undead caster class. They lost festering curse a while ago, and gained significant damage and efficiency to some of their DOTs. This freed them from being cooldown and single target reliant, and allowed them to remain a top tier dps at all stages of the game. They have huge mana regen, can put out the most efficient caster dps in the game, using spells with massive resist adjusts leaving them viable on content other casters just fail. On top of all this, necromancers having amazing utility, with the second best mez in the game, as well as FD and rez for wipe recovery, and to top it all off they have lifetaps, granting more survivability than pretty much any other dps.

Ranger: Masters of the bow, rangers consistently parse among the top, and their dps is shut down probably less often than any other class. They do meele damage from longer range than any caster can nuke. On top of this they share the throne with monks for "best off tank". The best track in the game never hurts. Rangers dont bring nearly the same utility as the other top tier dps classes, but their ability to tank on top of being a top level ranged dps earns them a spot.

Bard: This song singing, flute playing, not-so-tanky plate class is the king of utility among dps classes. They get to pick any two from a large variety of highly useful and situational buffs, and apply them (in most cases) to the entire raid. They also get nice damage/debuff songs, duel wield weapons, the highest damage nuke in the game (and bonus damage to targets below 15%, when most "burn phases" are). Did I forget to mention they have a meele immune stance for when a tank falls over, and mez spells? When most people are talking about an "ideal raid setup" bard is the class most people would want two of over anyone else. Most of their abilities don't even stack, they just have so much powerful/useful stuff, that its always nice to have two of them around.

Cleric: No surprise here, clerics are the king of healing classes. Their quick heal is nearly as powerful as the "big heal" of others. Most of their heals hit instantly and for huge amounts, and they don't lose much efficiency at all for these clearly superior healing mechanics. They can do free dps with their ancient hammer, and have some of the best AA Abilities in the game, including Call of the Blessed, which is basically just "hit this one button to completely heal your entire raid for the next 24 seconds" for a total cost of 0 mana. Cleric is the class every raid wants 3 of, and every 6 man wants as their main healer (and sometimes only healer).

Paladin: The cleric and tank hybrid struggled for a long time with terrible agro, and they remain the lowest dps tank, however their agro mechanics vastly improved through Diving Stun and other changes. Without having to devote all of their time to holding agro, a good paladin can provide significant self healing, and more importantly group healing and sustain through Tools, POTLady, and Runic Group HOT, which are the mechanics that really set them a step above others on a lot of content. Paladins remain the anti-undead class, possessing several abilities that let them really excel when fighting undead monsters.

Shadow Knight: For a long time Shadow Knights were the king of tanks, but Pally agro changes allowed them to contest that title, and at this point it really just depends on what content you are doing as to which tank is best. SKs retain the fastest and strongest single target agro in the game, and their Runic: Veil can allow them to gain easy and immediate agro on any number of mobs that the rest of the group/raid is fighting. Surprisingly, SKs can actually rival pally self healing through their life taps, and stances. Shadow knights are the best dps among tanks, which is largely spell/range based, and fast casting, so it can be used while kiting. On top of all this, SKs have some nice utility, with FD, sublimate soul, pet sacrifices, and other mechanics.

God Tier:

Enchanter: Enchanters are in a bit of a weird spot. They are generally mediocre or bad at soloing, duoing, exping, and even doing 6 man content(unless you tailor the group around them), but holy shit, does this class excel at raids. Their stacking is worse than almost any other class, yet its still usually worth bringing two on a raid. A single enchanter though, provides far more utility than anyone else, and they can add huge dps as well. This effect is most obvious at higher tiers, when mana pools are large, and casters all have archaics/runics. They have the best mana regen buff in the game, the best haste buff in the game, the best mez in the game, awesome slow/debuffs, dampening to reduce raid wide spell damage taken, curses to massively boost dps during burn phases, and boon/somatic/AOD which can be cast on other players to copy some of their dps. They also get charm, which has limited uses, but in certain situations, if an enchanter is diligent, a charmed pet can provide huge dps (and occasionally tanking too). Enchanters aren't *always* super powerful, but in the right situations, a good enchanter is bringing as much value to the raid as 2-3+ other characters combined.

Last edited:
TEVINTER TIER:

Enchanter: Enchanters are in a bit of a weird spot. They are generally mediocre or bad at soloing, duoing, exping, and even doing 6 man content, but holy shit, does this class excel at raids. Their stacking is worse than almost any other class, yet its still usually worth bringing two on a raid. A single enchanter though, provides far more utility than anyone else, and they can add huge dps as well. This effect is most obvious at higher tiers, when mana pools are large, and casters all have archaics/runics. They have the best mana regen buff in the game, the best haste buff in the game, the best mez in the game, awesome slow/debuffs, dampening to reduce raid wide spell damage taken, curses to massively boost dps during burn phases, and boon/somatic/AOD which can be cast on other players to copy some of their dps. They also get charm, which has limited uses, but in certain situations, if an enchanter is diligent, a charmed pet can provide huge dps (and occasionally tanking too). Enchanters aren't *always* super powerful, but in the right situations, a good enchanter is bringing as much value to the raid as 2-3+ other characters combined.
I fixed something for you. Also I agree with most of this post except I think enchanters are better than mediocre at 6 man. I can think of very few 6 man where an enchanter is "bad", although I suppose you could consider them mediocre because they require a more specific group set up to excel.

you are underselling all tanks imo. A geared knight BREAKS content not makes it easier BREAKS and both should be high tier at a minimum with, imo SK pushing close to god tier. You know as well as anyone how powerful SK are at soloing/raiding/grouping.

Monk and rogue are essentially interchangeable entities in high tier content now. If pulling were utilized more then maybe monks might be a bit stronger, however just looking at dps as a gauge of how useful a class is is very short sited. Like i tried to make a point in the monk balancing thread - monks do not have burn/good dps stances. Rogues have very strong burn/dps stances including a potential fight changing tome when they die.

Move mages to mid tier and remove their note because that is essentially what you did for wizards or put wizards a tier higher.

I suppose you could consider them mediocre because they require a more specific group set up to excel.
That was more of my thought. You have to tailor a 6 man group around the enchanter to really make is strong, but if you do that it can be pretty absurd.

you are underselling all tanks imo. A geared knight BREAKS content not makes it easier BREAKS and both should be high tier at a minimum with, imo SK pushing close to god tier. You know as well as anyone how powerful SK are at soloing/raiding/grouping.
Alright, I'll agree I was more just comparing tanks in that warrior<pal/sk, but you are right that overall knights should be higher, and its hard to consider warriors low tier even though they arent as strong as knights.

All tanks +1
Rangers -1 (partially because top tier was too full, but I also realized that all the top tier classes were bringing tons of utility ontop of their main role, and rangers just don't have that)

Last edited:
Rangers -1 (partially because top tier was too full, but I also realized that all the top tier classes were bringing tons of utility ontop of their main role, and rangers just don't have that)
Clerics are little utility beyond healing, yet are an obvious choice for top tier. In my opinion, Rangers deserve to be up there as well, as they're top tier dps throughout the raiding tiers.

Generally, I think it's the player that makes the class. A really good mage can change my perception of the class from a low/mid tier to top tier very easily (example: Zapple). While a very poorly boxed wizard could easily make someone think they're an awful class. Aside from Beastlords, who are currently being looked at, I think all classes are good. And maybe the right person playing a Beastlord could change my opinion. It's just the nature of the game that you have room for more DPS classes than healers and tanks if you want to make fights easier. So you pack the raid with the best tanks (SK/Paladin) and best healers (Cleric), grab a bard or two, box an enchanter, and then fill it out with whatever DPS you can.

And no one is boxing a necromancer over a same-tiered wizard at any tier, so it's probably silly to have wizards below necromancers.

So I suppose I find the whole idea of ranking classes into tiers a bit silly. But that's just me.

Yes and no... there have been players who changed how I saw a class, utilizing new item setups, strategies, or playstyles to get more out of the class than others, but at the same time you are limited to the abilities of a given class. I would consider my wizard to be a top tier dps, but I think there are maybe 6-8 wizards in the game on that level (vah, supreme, +8% crit and elemental damage from books). Classes like necros and clerics and bards don't need nearly as much, they can roll with an eternal and 25 completed tomes and they are a powerhouse top tier character (no offense to those classes, they just require less charm and tomes and vah to be really strong).

As far as boxing necros/wizards... that has several reasons. First, SF has access to those super end game maxed out wizards. Second a wizard is WAAAAY easier to box and play efficiently. You outparse me regularly on enasc, without a vah back.

And... IDK what guild you progressed with (did you skip a lot of tiers?), because necromancers absolutely destroy wizards from T1-11, especially on 6 man content. As my group progressed through 6 man content, we always did it first with SK, Cleric, Shaman, Bard, Monk, Necro. It wasn't possibly to swap the necro for my wizard (despite same gear level) until we were like a full tier higher. A wizard can't compete with a necro until they are super endgame maxed out.

And at the super endgame, when I can finally go even, sometimes beat necros on dps, we still are left with the comparison of FD, rez, heals, lifetaps, mez, verses ports, evac, RBOW.

Do you end game guys even raid with warriors? The amount of material on these forums and on the wiki explaining how to play warriors effectively is like 1/100th what's available for knights. I'm convinced you guys don't raid with Beastlords at all, which is why that class has fallen on such hard times. Correct me if i'm wrong.

High tier warriors break content too, not just the knights...

This ranking should really be done by raid tier because power shifts so dramatically through the tiers. This is especially true during those tiers where there are critical upgrades like spells/weapons.

Last edited:
Do you end game guys even raid with warriors? The amount of material on these forums and on the wiki explaining how to play warriors effectively is like 1/100th what's available for knights. I'm convinced you guys don't raid with Beastlords at all, which is why that class has fallen on such hard times. Correct me if i'm wrong.
no because warriors suck. and yes we have 2 beastlords unfortunately :/

Yeah 6 ticks HoTs are bad and Shamans as king of the healing classes.

this is a completely false statement. a cleric is the literal king of the healing class. The only thing that shamans provide is an endless amount of healing padding for a main tank. ONE individual only. Whereas the cleric can heal everyone extremely efficiently.

10/10 if your cleric passes a certain tier of gear it is no longer worth it to bring a shaman to a 6 man encounter over another dps. Slow is so worthless that another DPS is better than a secondary off healer like the shaman.

It really doesn't make sense to try and have one class ranking for the entire game. I mean, t1-7 beastlords (IE half the raid tiers in the game) were top tier DPS for the last 2 years, although with the overcap HtH changes they probably aren't any more.

You can say things like DRU<SHAM<CLR overall and 99% of sane players will agree, but trying to make one tier system that encompasses every class for every facet of the game isn't really worthwhile.

Pretty much any tier list that doesn't have cleric on the top is wrong imo. I wouldn't put enchanters on a tier of their own because of the stacking issue of having multiple in raid. While having 3 clerics in a raid is almost always recommended. And yea what Dindass said is pretty true that the tiers play a pretty significant difference. I assume the majority of posts in this thread are about T13 toons.

And yes, shaman suck as healers except for the niche of healing a tank forever and complaining that others don't have enough mana. If I had a dollar for every time I dropped my shaman to play a cleric because it was pretty much required... On my shaman, only with 3 low cooldown group healing clickies and runic1 can I *pretend* to be a cleric for 30 seconds or so.

It really doesn't make sense to try and have one class ranking for the entire game. I mean, t1-7 beastlords (IE half the raid tiers in the game) were top tier DPS for the last 2 years, although with the overcap HtH changes they probably aren't any more.

You can say things like DRU<SHAM<CLR overall and 99% of sane players will agree, but trying to make one tier system that encompasses every class for every facet of the game isn't really worthwhile.
Yeah, its definitely not accurate at every point in the game, but I explained that in the disclaimer. Its for fun more than anything else.

I wouldn't put enchanters on a tier of their own because of the stacking issue of having multiple in raid. While having 3 clerics in a raid is almost always recommended.
My reasoning here is that you can replace a cleric with a druid in any raid and make it work. The druid can do all the cleric stuff at 70-80% and be effective. Nobody can replace or come close to doing what the enchanter does, even though they do have limitations in a lot of situations.

Fomelo: Crynel, Laisia, Kharras, Stryda, Fuwok to see the end game warriors I have raided with, current Laisia comes along on ~30-40% of our raids. And Shining Force currently has TWO mained active beatlords. Unfortunately on harder content we often have to make (at least) one of them play a better dps class.

Last edited:
Crynel is the only one actually end game geared. When it comes to tanks at the end game it's more or less about who shows up dedicated to raid rather than what class they are. The only 6 man that has been killed that discriminates horribly against tanks to the point of requiring one over the other is curator which can just be brute forced by over geared toons since only one guild kills it. I think it's a problem but it's been brought up to the devs on several occasions and fallen on deaf ears.

I wouldn't put enchanters on a tier of their own because of the stacking issue of having multiple in raid.
A 2nd enchanter in a normal raid is still more DPS added than any other class as well as adding tons of utility. You also end up with situations where an enchanters DPS is nerfed due to having to mezz things, and bringing a 2nd enchanter frees the first one up to do nothing but DPS.

Back
Top Bottom