Buyable Augs

Llanoldar Lluindar said:
I think there are a lot of problems with your progression brasileira, and here they are in short.

1. Charm progression right now is the opposite of more upgrade for your money, you get progressively less stats per PP as you go to higher tiers (I'm quoting Felyn on this).
2. You are making the bonuses way too big. 500 hp and mana is way more than I ever had in mind.
3. You have missed the point of what my original idea was.

That list you posted is far too simple and bland.
1. K
2. Yea, was just an example... so people come up with ideas.
3. I got your point and addded some few ideas.

I know plan hp/mana/ac is boring, but people still want'em.

My post was add everything you can have, from simples ac/hp/mana, skills mods and some focuses.

brasileira said:
I know plan hp/mana/ac is boring, but people still want'em.

Since when has what people want been all that important? Giving the people whatever they want is the short road to death.

And no, you didn't get my point. And you added way more than a few ideas. This isn't supposed to be some blanket "You can get anything you want" (excepting Alice) set of augs.

robopirateninja said:
Players who cannot/won't raid have jsut been given a huge new boost in Emberflow caverns, a 65 XP zone with droppable loots that are much better than anything to be found outside of a raid mob. They cost plat and are ways to upgrade your character short of a 200k charm.

Charms' primary function is to remove plat from the economy.

I stand corrected, thank you.

Forgive me if I'm just tinfoiling, :tinfoil:, but this sounds an awful lot like another post requesting an extension of the charm line. Oh wait, I'm not, because this is the same thing, and grew out of that thread via asexual reproduction. :psyduck:

I have a couple issues with the concept (of course). Much of this has already been outlined in the other post. But I'll play devils advocate here, as well, and point out a couple things I think are negative about this.

For one, do we really need another plat sink? We've barely had time to examine the effects of Pristine and BoE items on the market, and the changes to charms aren't exactly old hat either. The economy is, quite frankly, currently sucking on balls. The reason I can say that is because items and platinum aren't changing hands as much as they should be, and items aren't all going for the prices they maybe ought to be. Lets review the possible reasons for these issues. For one, BoE, though it may be a necessary evil, has really discouraged players from buying items. Especially items they might want to buy for alts. Another thing to think about is the fact that once a character gets into raiding, he pretty much never has to look at listsold ever again if he doesn't want to except for augs and pots. Thats something that requires some hard thinking. As for item prices, I believe a social phenomenon is at work. If player A see Yatic's Coat sell for 7k a few times, player A is damned well never paying more than 8k for it. It is very hard to get prices of non-tradeskilled goods to go up.
Allow me to pose another important question: Is money that is farmed for the express purpose of sinking into charms really part of the economy? Short answer, no. Long answer: If the player is tradeskilling and farming drops to sell on listsold, then yes, that player is affecting the economy in a positive way. If the player is buying items low and selling them high on listsold, then that player is affecting the economy but is doing so in a possibly negative way. If the player is farming cash drops to throw on his pile o platinums, then that money never enters the player economy and does not affect it whatsoever.
Personally, I think a big help to the economy would be another big "beefing up" of top-end tradeskills. Tradeskills are huge economy driving forces.
Next up: Is the answer to the economies woes really "Give a big upgrade to the top 5% of the server until they farm up another 200k?" If you ask me, thats starting on a slippery slope into the cesspool of "Live Game." If another plat sink is added to the server, it should be consumable. Something that: A. Does not impact sales of tradeskilled goods. B. Is good enough to leech plat from the top end players, but is not SO good that it makes players in the middle or low end of the spectrum "crappy" players if they don't get it. And C. Is really expensive.

Closing thought (for now): Having your charm be customizable would be kinda neat. But then again, no other item in the game really is. You can say "lol augs," but the same augs are available for charms, and their uses by class are fairly clear cut. I can either use mana augs, or suck horribly. Hmm.
In other words, if my charm isn't very customizable, it's not a big deal.

I definitely do not feel this will be an "extension of the charm line" unless such augs of 200hp were made.

As was requested originally, and suggested times over, I feel slight dodge / sneak / whatever modifiers would only enhance people's desire to save up for charms. More people would be buying them if they could tailor them to themselves specifically.

I'm also a firm supporter of individuality, in whatever form it manifests itself. I don't feel this would be bad at all unless the augs became some retarded hp / mana / ft / stat augs.

:toot: Still a supporter!

Riesen said:
I definitely do not feel this will be an "extension of the charm line" unless such augs of 200hp were made.

As was requested originally, and suggested times over, I feel slight dodge / sneak / whatever modifiers would only enhance people's desire to save up for charms. More people would be buying them if they could tailor them to themselves specifically.

500p - +10 AC
1000p - +50 mana or hp
5000p - +80 hp/mana
100.000 - Healing Increment 5, Damage Increment 5, Damage Reduction 5
200.000p – Swarm Mastery – Runes of healing – Aura of incecibility – Aura of Madness (Battle, etc)

No, I'm pretty sure DI5 and Swarm Mastery are big, stupid extensions of existing augs. No matter how small the upgrade, anything that adds to your charm is an extension. The question is whether or not to have the extension, and how big the extension should be.

Also, more people would be buying charms if they could tailor them to themselves? Sorry, but I have to call BS there. If you don't buy the next charm in progression "because it doesn't fit me," good luck finding yourself a guild. People are buying them one way or another.

The big issue is, certain charms, for example, the Nemesis and Trueshot, are certain people's ultimate goals, because of the skill mods. Essentially, its giving 2 classes a viable alternative to their mid level charms, but also adding in that "mid level" alternative for all classes. It may cost more for other classes to say, get a Sihalas and then add a +15 skill mod to it, sure. But atleast the option would exist, for those who would rather buy that than a Barrier/Energy.

Steering away from mana/hp/ft/stats/saves would essentially be what would keep say, a Supreme charm from being turned into an ULTIMATE charm, or whatever would be the next in the line. The skill mods would basically be a nice way to augment your hard work, while not overpowering it to extreme amounts with another 200hp/mana/20ac/15svall/10-15atk/2-3ft and whatever else the next charm in the line would be.

Faelus said:
Good Stuff

This is a legitimate reason for wanting charm augs, and, if implemented correctly, would enhance the game. I support this. I do not support 200kplat and 500kplat HP/AC/Stats/Resists epeen extenders.

It is my opinion this should not be a huge plat sink. 10k-50k tops. Maybe 100k for the truly "pwnin" ones. My reason for this has been outlined earlier in this thread regarding massive 1-shot plat sinks.

savagechesecak said:
This is a legitimate reason for wanting charm augs, and, if implemented correctly, would enhance the game. I support this. I do not support 200kplat and 500kplat HP/AC/Stats/Resists epeen extenders.

It is my opinion this should not be a huge plat sink. 10k-50k tops. Maybe 100k for the truly "pwnin" ones. My reason for this has been outlined earlier in this thread regarding massive 1-shot plat sinks.

It depends how high of a level they're going to go to.

The progression should be exponentially expensive. Depending on the range, 1-15 would be optimal, as the 66k charms have 15 as it stands. To add these to other charms, you SHOULD have to pay more than 66k for +15, because a charm with heal/nuke crits, or varying levels of attack in ADDITION to skill mods should be somewhat costly.

Perhaps 1-15 in a skill, ranging up to 100k-125k for the 15, going in increments of 5?

Something like:

+5 Skill - 20,000
+10 Skill - 50,000
+15 Skill - 90,000

Would be acceptable.

For other classes that don't rely heavily on one skill, like cleric, something like 1% crit, 2% crit, 3% crit to heals in an identical price scale would be ideal.

I think that there should be Augs with skills only for this upgrade. (swarm mastery was a ridiculous exaggeration)
Swarm mastery being buy able would replace the point in EVER doing shammy epic. which would be retarded in my opinion (seeing as it was the ONLY epic re-implemented)

I think there should be a host of skill upgrades. One i particularly would like to see is +feign death for lower level chars.
I feel this augment at high levels, when monks already have the never fail AA would be useless, but it would provide a viable option, improving lower level raids, adepts for example.

While i also feel that any defense mods, or offense mods should be VERY weak. There was already a discussion over the +defense helm that drops in stormkeep off the minis, and it's issue with overpower.

I think the only thing that should be purchasable are utility skills, like backstab, archery, casting abilities to a small scale, sneak, feign death (for you monks obviously), some throwing maybe, you know, from there. On the flip side, a + parry or dodge or riposte wouldn't be too bad. I just don't feel any +offense or +defense augs should be added.

From an (INT)casters point of view, I must admit that I dislike the idea of +skill mods. They are pretty big for melees, but for us casters with 100% fizzle immunity from AAs, there are only like 2 skills I could deem usefull to put +skillmods in:

• meditate to fasten mana regeneration
  • specializations. This modification exists only on Thaz augs so far, and tbh I don't think they should be anywhere else.

What I would prefere ofer skill mods are advanced item effects (+/- aggression, mind shield , stun resistance, damage resistance and so on, you name it).
They start to appear in the game with tmaps, they are hard to max and I'm pretty positive that everybody would be able to find something (s)he likes.
Also, this would indeed increase customization compared to skill mods, where casters would be stuck with +meditate more or less.

Take this with a grain of salt; it's neither an official statement nor a confirmation that something like this would be introduced.

I like the idea of the skill mods more than anything else. As people have already said, the high end charms already offer substantial stat bonuses, high atk/spell foci, etc.

Eh. Skill mods are great to a point, but I don't think the returns from +5, +10 or +25 to a skill is worth some of the prices mentioned in this thread. I would really like to see some unique/imaginative effects and focus effects on some form of augment available for purchase.

It's been stated Swarm mastery wouldn't fit in an augment. Most of non-skill stuff that have been proposed here are at the level of this focus. What I think of this gobal idea should it ever come out, yeah it shouldn't give an interesting reward compared to money invested, or it's opening a trend where everything will eventually be buyable. +5 skill for something like archery/backstab - not even mentioning FD - should not be delivered under like 200k to me, cause charm has to remain the MAIN plat sink.

Dzillon said:
cause charm has to remain the MAIN plat sink.

What about only being able to put at most +1 skill on a 2k charm, +3 skill on a 36k, +5 66/100k, +8 on a 215k, +10 on a 538k, +15 on a 1.2mil? Obviously I just threw those numbers out there and could be scaled however fit, but that way the charm still does stay the main sink.

Finny said:
What about only being able to put at most +1 skill on a 2k charm, +3 skill on a 36k, +5 66/100k, +8 on a 215k, +10 on a 538k, +15 on a 1.2mil? Obviously I just threw those numbers out there and could be scaled however fit, but that way the charm still does stay the main sink.

Would require different aug types for each rank as far as I know. Seems like a real pain.

I'm all for allowing someone to put +15 on a 2k charm if they want to. Its their choice, even if its stupid. One thing that has to be avoided is those charms that already have skill mods should not stack with augs providing the same skill.

Agree with + skills, but it's not as simple as taking on some 5, 10, 15 ranked skill mods.
Compare evocation with backstab and with offense. They each need balanced accordingly.
Additionally the only decent skills for casters would be meditate and maybe channeling. Skills like dodge and defense would be secondary but I doubt anyone would go for them.

These augments will need to be very expensive and very minor and do not need to be overpopulated. People throwing out 250 augs don't get the point. Something like 200k for +5 offense would be in line. Likewise something like maybe 6 total augments to select from is all that's needed. No, tiered system, flat rate one shot.

For obvious. Its already been mentioned some skills balance differently than others. Someone already suggested + offense and +defense augs should never exist.

Riesen said:
I think there should be a host of skill upgrades. One i particularly would like to see is +feign death for lower level chars.
I feel this augment at high levels, when monks already have the never fail AA would be useless, but it would provide a viable option, improving lower level raids, adepts for example.

Monks never get a never fail AA.

Back
Top Bottom