Bottlenecking Progress.

It isn't as easy as "just ask someone for help"

I've duo'd tier 5 shit for people who i have no clue who they are just because they asked me. It's not like getting told no is going to do you any harm either way. Just don't nag people or they more than likely will tell you to fuck off.

Some threads just get out of control...

images

The server reeks of this elitist attitude, and most new people now quit before they get their 1st aa because they're not neurotically fixated on SoD to the point of it consuming their entire lives...YET.

There is a reek of elitest sucktatude, though that is a few bad apples. With any sufficiently large population (i.e. 2 or more) you are most likely going to get a few pricks, but for every newb hating I-want-tomed-dps-for-my-highkeep-group douche there are several people willing to help newbs out (Nomos, Salarus, Iola, Drakie, Nathasar, Quila, Wealwawn, Abel, Clammie, and about a dozen others spring to mind).

I do not know how much of a problem this really is, but if it a problem here is a solution that mildly inconveniences the leets to placate the newbs: make QP drop only when XX (10-15? 12?, enough to matter but not so many that a LD or whatever screws you) characters are in the raid/zone on engage. Finding a group of people willing to join you when you say things like "LF bodies to collect raid loot" is not very difficult or time consuming. This would unfairly reward some people with the raid gear they cannot get because the mobs are always getting sniped (again, if this is indeed a problem), but it isn't like people don't already get charitied (or sneak) into pugs or use their cousins' coworkers' brothers' t10 tank to steamroll content or get twinked out because their class fits in a guild's rooster hole or whatever.

If I might contribute.. (if it can be called contributing, as I do not claim to know the culture of the
community)

I agree that there is a problem. I experience this problem. I am a perfect example of the subject matter here.

I am the entry level 65 that this post seems to be focused around. And it seems to be that this conversation is steering in the direction of "how to retain newer players." I will make a observation, followed by a suggestion:

My observation is that there is a huge barrier of entry to the level 65 plus game.

Just as an example, I found it much more efficient and rewarding to live in Mielech's Lair (lguk) to farm plat for purchasable ikisith gear. It makes more sense for me to do that over building a group to try some tier 1 or 2 content. I've expressed interest in doing Cmal or Nadox and it appears my attempts are in vain. This content is accessible, yet I don't seem to have the opportunity to make attempts.

The majority of my game time is spent farming plat for ikisith drops. This is the only way, outside of AAs, I feel can effectively upgrade my character (who happens to be a SK tank named Oafo). If anyone finds this to be a problem, please speak up.

Now for my suggestion:

Reconsider how characters begin their quest from a fresh 65 to a more developed character and player. By no means am I saying there isn't enough to do once you hit 65, but maybe the current choices don't stay interesting or rewarding (ie maps, bounties, Mielech's Keep, Rust to name a few). Is it possible to have repeatable content with timers similar to bounties? I am referring to lower tier triggered events. Perhaps a dungeon can be made which could be set up like trials. You could pick a particular difficulty of event/encounter, but only so often. Think like a treasure map that must be turned in, and then a wing is unlocked and an encounter/dungeon is generated based on the request (easy, very easy, difficult) It creates opportunities for lower tiered players, while not handing things out. There can be a few encounters for each tier of 'map.' There could be 3 wings. One for easy, very easy, and medium; One for hard, very hard, and difficult; and one for very difficult, and extremely difficult.

The rewards could be on par with items gained in tier 0 and 1 raids up through maybe tier 4 or 5 like is available in Nadox. Maybe higher tier 6 or 7 gear could be attainable through persistence or extreme luck?

Its just an idea i had during a shower after reading this post. I hope it is well received as I feel that I thought it out and did my best to articulate it.

The point is to find a way to reward those who can't commit to a raid, but enjoy to spend maybe 8 or 10 hours a week unwinding and playing the game, getting on vent, and tackling some challenging content. Not to hand out items.

Currently the rewards for such a play style are not sufficient to get a character(maybe its just a tank that has this barrier to entry) ready to do dungeons in Ikisith. This is why I think newer players don't often stick around. They feel progression stops and fail to find a purpose in continuing.

Thank you if you took the time to read my post, since I took the time to type it and be sure I'm being rational and fair.

TL DR: If you didn't take the time to read it, you probably shouldn't comment on it.

What ever just happened to running tmaps or lower 65 zones or even getting 18 people together and killing tier 2-3 mobs? What about cmal or catacombs and other various zones that have ok nodrop items. What about the fairly easy quests from the murk that have ok rewards? Even bounty gear isn't terrible and can be done as a new 65.

Farming cash and buying BOEs is one way of getting decent but there are plenty of other ways as well.

Also the vah is a hard thing and really new 65s shouldn't even bother except for maybe the beginning stuff.

This is the story of how we couldn't find an xp zone in ikisith so we went to slaughter skeletons and found tarlisha up and you guys dont try hard enough

I've gotten Tarlisha twice in the last four months without even trying to track her. I'm sure if I was actively scouting it'd be much much more. There are certain understandings that must be made when you know you can only play for an hour or so a day. This particular game engine does not bode well for those short on time, and doubtful it ever will. Things are just too slow paced overall, even with the speedups SoD devs present and past have been generous enough to add.

That. There are the same things in place that all of the rest of us had when we were at that point plus some. There are bounties and more quests now that weren't around back then. The thing is, with the additions of ikisith droppables, frequent ringer pugs, and all the other stuff, you can get to where it took the rest of the server 3, 4, 5+ years to get in like a year now, but for some reason half the server thinks that if they're not up with those that put in tons of work in a matter of months, then something is broken. You're progressing just fine. Be patient. Enjoy the game. Maybe creation date and/or hours played should be added to fomelo...

That. There are the same things in place that all of the rest of us had when we were at that point plus some. There are bounties and more quests now that weren't around back then. The thing is, with the additions of ikisith droppables, frequent ringer pugs, and all the other stuff, you can get to where it took the rest of the server 3, 4, 5+ years to get in like a year now, but for some reason half the server thinks that if they're not up with those that put in tons of work in a matter of months, then something is broken. You're progressing just fine. Be patient. Enjoy the game. Maybe creation date and/or hours played should be added to fomelo...

Pretty much. I've got ~105 days /played on Susvain and most high tier raiders have double or triple that.

Put creation date, hours played and daily average hours played on fomelo. Then we can be really frightened.

I was excited to see the responses to my post. However, any criticism of my comment can not be considered constructive. I am disappoint.

I'm trying to suggest an alternate path to prepare myself to join tier 5-7 pugs that seem to be a pretty regular thing. Why is such a request received with adamant opposition simple because you had to walk a mile uphill in the snow both ways every day a long time ago?

The bounties and 6 man dungeons are wonderful additions and my post is not intended to complain about them. But maybe you underestimate the difficulty of advancing through the ranks as a tank without all the resources a veteran player might have access to.

I do agree that there should be more 6 man dungeons out there. Emberflow is awesome but the fact that the bosses drop tomes doesn't help since people kill them just for that and let loot rot.

I think more six man content would be pretty cool. Higher tier quests which can be done over time would be cool as well.

Last edited:
I do agree that there should be more 6 man dungeons out there. Emberflow is awesome but the fact that the bosses drop tomes doesn't help since people kill them just for that and let loot rot.

I think more six man content would be pretty cool. Higher tier quests which can be done over time would be cool as well.

These things exist. Most of those quests are part of the problem though (looking at you, [Dungeon Delvers] and [Relic Hunters]).

Back
Top Bottom