Bookcase

Ryst

Dalayan Elder
I don't know about everyone else, but after a while I have ended up with more than a couple books taking up my bag space. I hate deleting anything I can't get back fairly easily, so I was thinking that a bookcase would be cool to add to the house.

You could hail it and get a command to store certain types of books on different "shelves." Each "shelf" would hold different categories of books (used tomes shelf, unused tomes shelf, lore books shelf, quest books shelf, miscellaneous papers and scraps shelf, etc.). After storing some books, you could then hail the bookshelf again and get options to see what books you have on individual shelves to recover them from the bookshelf. Pretty simple and useful. It could be made available to everyone that has a house or only to gold or platinum donators. Thank you for your consideraton.

I actually love this idea although in my mind it might be cooler to just be able to hail the bookshelf and through /cm dialog have the bookshelf spit book contents back to you (after a book is consumed by handing it to the shelf) but I agree that physically handing you the book back would be a lot more practical.

Also I have always wanted some kind of minor tradeskill where players can write books then printing press them to distribute or sell. It could be anything from cool lore to an in-game facet of wiki stuff (hunting guides, class guides, etc). I think if it was possible to do it could be seriously amazing (sorry to kind of hijack this thread).

Also I have always wanted some kind of minor tradeskill where players can write books then printing press them to distribute or sell. It could be anything from cool lore to an in-game facet of wiki stuff (hunting guides, class guides, etc). I think if it was possible to do it could be seriously amazing (sorry to kind of hijack this thread).

That would be cool if there wasn't a wiki, but since there is I don't see much of a reason that anyone would use such a system.

I like the bookcase idea. (To be fair I like any idea that frees up some bank space.)

bookcase idea sounds neat. sounds like another bank though and i think someone said it would be to hacky to impliment or something. but i do like the idea!

Great idea about making books for sale. I think that might cause a problem with Item ID tags though. EQ's item tag system was never the greatest. I could only see the books being done with /cmd commands

How many books are there worth keeping around, really? I thought most of the readable text was on the wiki by this point.

As for the player-made books thing I could maybe in theory see it being done by substituting in a player-supplied name and an automatically generated book text id on a non-unique book item, and storing those in the inventory table of the player carrying it (much like expable item exp and level). Although you'd have to fill the text by a cm command certainly (and it would have to be run through a parser to fit in all the annoying syntax book text requires), and other players won't be able to see the unique title when it's linked (much like pristine or expable stats).

But that would be a huge amount of effort for something that would be used about as much as our Roleplaying forum.

When I saw the op I was actually thinking this would be a great way to store tomes. Completed ones can be deleted (although it's a bit scary. . .) but if you're saving up 2-5 or more of the class and general tomes to do, it might be a nice think to have another place for them.

Back
Top Bottom