Adventures In Texture Editing

Another successful adventure! This time, I've revisited the somewhat rarely seen Velious textures. Velious armor sets--beautiful as they are--were scrapped once Luclin models were introduced on Live. For this reason, so many players never even realize they exist. These armor sets are special because every single gender and race combination (male Dwarf, female Ogre, male Wood Elf, etc.) has six unique high-resolution Velious armor texture sets with the exception of Humans and Iksar of both genders, who have seven to account for Monk garb. (Vah Shir and Frogloks have none because they came after Velious and after the implementation of Luclin models.)

In my first test, I took various Velious armors and applied these textures to platemail. In other words, as a male Gnome's first texture piece for platemail is stored under the image gnmch0001.bmp, I've taken the Gnome Velious set I wanted and renamed the first texture piece of gnmch0001.bmp then overwrote the above-mentioned platemail file; once I got into the game and threw Spell: Illusionary Platemail on myself, the game pulled up the beautiful Velious textures thinking they were the platemail!

The potential for this is that if people do not like how various pre-Velious armor sets (naked/base, leather, chainmail, and platemail) look, they can hijack the Velious textures and fool the game into using them instead. There is enough variety among all genders and races that it is possible to find at least one set in the six (or seven) Velious sets that will correspond well enough to each type of armor set. Of the six sets that High Elves get, at least one is bound to pass as cloth, one as leather, one as chainmail, etc.

Here is what a male Gnome, female Barbarian, male Erudite, and female High Elf can look like. Remember that I am under the effects of Illusionary Platemail in all these pictures.

VeliousTexturesinPlaceofPlatemail_zpsce61bfd0.jpg

Now for a little experimenting. At this point, I tested out what would happen if I deliberately mismatched a Velious armor set with the wrong race/gender. These have never been seen before, and they aren't half bad! There are some restrictions if you want good-looking results, like avoiding giving busty female armor to a male or applying a huge race's armor to a small race.

MaleDwarfwithFemaleGnomeArmor_zpsd2aeb4cc.jpg

Male Dwarf in Female Gnome Armor

FemaleDarkElfinMaleHighElfArmor_zpsb36c184a.jpg

Female Dark Elf in Male High Elf Armor

HalfElfinHumanMonkArmor_zps54452c0c.jpg

Male Half Elf in Male Human Monk Garb​

I like the new armor idea. Velious textures rock and I have no idea why I have not turned them on already

eqclient.ini
Loadarmor17-23 = TRUE

Anyhow, here is a link with lots of pretty pictures of velious armors.

EDIT: By popular request, I've decided to make available the dark reddish frog with bright green/blue veins on its back as seen in Post #33. For Druids who are not afraid to partake of the psychedelic frog, follow the instructions from Post #38 and enjoy!

Grinkles, can you make Skeletons and Zombies of different color? for SK/Necro pets, Blue or Black Skeletons, Green or red zombies....

Both skeleton models pose serious difficulties. The classic skeleton has had an issue with it since ~2003 that prevents that model from drawing on its second texture whatsoever (does this ring a bell?). Furthermore, even the base texture has something wonky going on with its skull and pelvis these days in SoD to where these parts show up as a strange black color. I can only guess that it has something to do with a corrupted .wld file, the file type that is proving to be the bane of my existence!

The new skeleton is problematic in a different sense. I believe it is contained within the file globalske_chr2.s3d, but that file looks empty to me except for -- you guessed it -- a lone .wld file. I might be able to find the corresponding texture files if I sniff around a bit more, though....

Green or red zombies are doable, but the results will be very strange, I'm sure. I'll tinker with it later and share what I come up with if it's halfway decent.

__________________________________________________​

Here's another adventure in texture editing. I very often find myself sinking quickly into boredom after remaining in any Ikisith dungeon for very long simply because 90% of the terrain is blah brown. Hence, I've reimagined Tur`ruj, formerly known as Chardok, in a Crystal Caverns-esque blue. Only terrain has been recolored, not brick walls, doors, etc. Some remnants of brown still remain because these are technically objects and are pulled from chardok_obj.s3d, whereas this testing was confined to those textures within chardok.s3d itself. I've replaced the standing water with a reduced set of PoP water textures (from Plane of Tranquility, to be exact; old zones only allow an animation cycle of a measly four bmp frames). I was unable to locate a decent set of waterfall textures and so tried simply to upscale the original set already used in chardok.s3d and then fudge the resolution a bit with tiling and layers, but the result is lackluster right next to the PoP water. Still had fun, nonetheless!

TurrujinBlue1_zpsadf55526.jpg

TurrujinBlue2_zps7609f1de.jpg

TurrujinBlue3_zps3a3ddcbd.jpg

TurrujinBlue4_zps02a9f8a1.jpg

TurrujinBlue5_zps5db453e3.jpg

Last edited:
Aha! Found out the New Skeleton model is actually elsewhere than where I thought. As I was tinkering with this model, I realized how eerily similar it is to the Terminator endoskeleton. :tinfoil: In fact, later on, I might have to try playing with this one again and overlaying some kind of shiny metallic layer on top and make the eyes bright red. Haha!

The first experiment is in a desaturated purple (or at least what began as a desaturated purple), but I realized after the fact that I had gone way overboard on the unsharp masking, which ended up leaving some parts of the bone unrealistically bright and other parts--especially near the joints--much too dark. Nonetheless, as long as the model isn't under bright lighting, it doesn't look bad at all. The eye "particles" (really just a single frame bitmap with a looped fading effect) have been recolored to red.

CustomSkeleton1_zps47dcd460.jpg

Next up is a blue skeleton at maximum saturation. Realism was not the aim here, though to be honest, it would fit in pretty well in a place like Plane of Frost (if .wld files were editable, that is :(). The eyes are recolored yellow, but it is hard to tell against the blinding blue bones. Love that this skeleton has a fully animated ducking stance! :dance:

CustomSkeleton2_zps707eb183.jpg

Looks good!

If I put on Deathly Temptation (SK lich illusion), would that make ME a blue skeleton?

Does that buff use the New Skeleton model? If so, I'd need to know which texture, then take the custom blue skeleton texture files (.dss format, as most of the later EQ textures are) and rename them so that they will overwrite the appropriate texture in the .s3d. The New Skeleton models are as follows:

• 00 -- normal skeleton
  • 01 -- dusty/dirty skeleton
  • 02 -- polished, faint bluish skeleton
  • 03 -- red skeleton
  • 04 -- dark, diseased-looking skeleton

At least I think I have those right...

Last edited:
That purple one looks great with the crushed Blacks at the joints, Purple Skeleton with Green or Orange Eyes, Id like to look like that.

You must spread Rep around before giving it to Grinkles again

You should really see if they devs would have on the team so everyone can get custom textures (if you think you would be interested.) Honestly, I think the skeletons look great, and it would be nice to actually like looking at the models again.

Thanks for the positive feedback thus far!

I thought a fun experiment might be to come up with four custom elementals to complement the four types already in game. I realize some people do not like the pre-Luclin elemental models, but I prefer them for nostalgia's sake. These pre-Luclin ones are the models I worked with.

First up is what I envisioned to be a plague elemental, a corrupted elemental, or a nightmare elemental. It is simply a recolor of the earth elemental texture cast in green and purple:

CustomElemental1_zps801b6f0a.jpg

When I turned to the water elemental textures, I accidentally turned everything red for a split second, liked what I saw, and decided to go with it for what might be called a blood elemental or a sanguine elemental. It is a recolor of the water elemental, including transparency and the fire elemental "tail" to evoke the image of a drop of blood:

CustomElemental2_zpsb749dddc.jpg

I saw more potential in the transparency of the water and air elemental forms and decided to combine this with a periwinkle recolor of the fire elemental. I added in some subtle "glow" to the bitmaps to wash out some of the blackness found in the fire elemental pattern and play up the model's transparency. I could imagine this being called a ghostly elemental, a wraith elemental, an undead elemental, something like that:

CustomElemental3_zpsffa12ce7.jpg

Last up is what I envisioned as an ore elemental or a deep-earth elemental-- the kind of thing that you might find lurking amid mineral-rich caves. In fact, they would fit in perfectly in place of those humdrum earth elementals found deep in Blood Quarry. This one was achieved by working once again with the fire elemental textures (tail included), applying a gold hue to everything, and using a preset in my image editing software designed to simulate the texture of fur, oddly enough, which I intended to look like deposits of gold ore:

CustomElemental4_zpsce9049a0.jpg

I always thought Magician pets (Runic 2 especially) should be something cool and unique. Like a Mirror Golem. I imagine one of the biggest issues would be making it global, thus increasing load times by an undetermined amount. Maybe a retextured regular elemental will be the solution some day.

<3 Gnome Bro

Love those elemental's, Have you thought about un-dead iksars skelly yet, like the illusion from Harbinger's Foresight?

Last edited:
Love those elemental's, Have you thought about un-dead iksars skelly yet, like the illusion from Harbinger's Foresight?

I might look at that tomorrow. Luckily, I have access to a toon with that mask so I can have more control over the screenshots.

On an entirely unrelated note -- Rangers, better whip out your pokéballs! :psyduck: (This thread gave me the idea and I couldn't help myself.)

PsyduckRangerPet_zpse1c2643d.jpg

As promised, here are some screenshots of altered Iksar skeleton textures.

The first is a rather drab brown. Given that the plain texture assigned to the Iksar skeleton is similar in color to the pre-Kunark skeleton, I wanted to see what dark brown would look like, as that is also the dominant color for the pre-Kunark's alternate texture. (This alternate brown texture is broken in SoD for whatever reason. Some from Live might remember the brown skeleton I speak of as the so-called "dread corpse" or high-end NEC/SHD pet.)

IksarSkeletonBrown_zps125a11e8.jpg

Next is a somewhat dark and deeply saturated red. This was inspired by the Relic pet of SoD's high-end Necromancers, though I find that the darker or more deeply saturated the color, the more textural detail is lost. Cracks in the skull, for instance, become harder to distinguish. Pictured is the female version (which is actually simply the "leather" texture for this model as opposed to a proper gender distinction as in, for instance, zombie males and zombie females.)

IksarSkeletonRed_zps8d6c82bb.jpg

Finally, the most interesting of the three. Here is the male Iksar skeleton cast in pale blue. A subtle "glow" has been applied to the texture pieces to bring out the interesting shading in the skull and along joints. Note the bright pink "grill" in the skeleton's mouth in the top left picture. This was an unintended artifact which has a little tidbit of history behind it.

Believe it or not, the actual individual teeth for this model (which are all just reused copies of the same tooth image) are handled as a separate texture piece from the rest of the skull. I noticed that the tooth image had a patch of bright pink surrounding the tooth area. This is a vestige of an outmoded means of achieving transparency through so-called "magic pink." Basically, transparency is achieved surrounding a non-rectangular image by setting everything outside the image in blinding pink (R255 G0 B255), a color chosen specifically because of its low likelihood to be found in a natural image. The rendering software in question is then designed to treat any such magic pink regions as invisible, and thus non-rectangular texture images can be used.

When I recolored this tooth image, I inadvertently broke the perfect R255 G0 B255 scheme and broke the magic pink. Presto -- a hot pink grill for our beautiful Iksar skeleton! I fixed this little anomaly for the remaining two screenshots.

IksarSkeletonBlue_zpsee06cb29.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom