Account Drive Brainstorming

How about making "The Dream" a two part series of tutorials.

Part 1-- Absolute basics. Movement/items/combat/inventory/learning about the /con system....possibly learning that not all zones will have non-aggro ghosts walking around.

The first can be the gloomy sad place that teaches you basics such as movement, using your map(and have the stuff labeled), and acquiring gear earlier in the dream so that when you reach the combat stage you can be be taught how to open your inventory and equip your weapon(and even look at the stats....basic knowledge of itemization for new players is important). The combat area could also deal with magic if you are a caster....right clicking runes as a melee just doesn't make sense. The NPC could explain the differences between melee and casting, and how both systems work(if needed).

After you leave the "combat" zone, you travel down the windy road to where you learn about conning mobs and how that system works. The NPC could explain to you that the green, light blue, blue, white, yellow, and red NPC's all have different colors because they are different levels. The NPC could explain to the play that they should con them and hail them...and each response would be based off of what con they are. The red con would say something along the lines of "Foes like me are the toughest you will find. Don't think about stepping your halfling foot to me" (or something along those lines. I'm not a writer for a reason).

After the player gets a basic idea of how the con system works, the windy road takes him to part 2 of The Dream.

Part 2 -- Learning how to survive in an environment that involves KOS mobs, needing to sit/med/bandage, learning which mobs to pick fights with....that kind've crap.

I'm not sure if you could code in some NPC to follow you around (kind've like a henchman) but you could have your mission be to fight to through this area. Throughout the mission you could be attacked by single mobs or two at a time. You and your little buddy battle these dark blue and even intruders into the dirt, you scoop up some good xp. Eventually you reach the place that people seem to get really confused on -- the stolen good and who to give it to. I say, just remove that in general. Learning your alignment hits doesn't need to be the first hour a noob spends in SoD. They want action. They want progress. They don't want to read quests and have to pick and choose thinking its going to actually affect their character two months later. Just ditch it.

So with that gone, you have a little more space to play around with. Why not have a station that teaches about currency, banking, searching for gear on the listsold, or even just having a free Ring of +2 (random stat depending on the class) sent to them, so they can at least interact with the banker and learn how to withdraw that item from the system and put it on their character. Free things in tutorials are good. Most games you leave the noob island nearly fully geared in noob gear, and believe me, it raises your confidence. And finally, the ending area we can call Part 3.

Part 3 could be interesting. You and your little henchman friend turn the corner into the building and the next thing you see is an NPC standing in the center and starts going on and on about not letting you guys leave this dream. Your little friend gets upset, and pulls out his battle-axe. The NPC could turn into like, I dunno...a dragon(its cheesy but it works) and you and your buddy go to work kicking this things ass. Throughout the fight you could have allies run through the gates to assist in the fight, just so the player gets the feel of what it could be like in a mini-raid. Of course, you'd have to code the dragon to basically never hit the player or he would die instantly and probably get upset, but ya.

Any thoughts on that? I know its long winded and there are a ton of spelling and grammar errors but its 5am and my medication is about to down me. I will clean this up a bit tomorrow and reformat it and do some work on the grammar and spelling. But I hope you guys can at least get the basic idea of what I am looking at. Also, it may not be a bad idea to keep the dream dark and gloomy. I can't remember a positive and brightly colored dream where I learned how to beat up a female, give a stolen trinket back to a thief, and walk away with free books and gear. That sounds like a nightmare to me.

Last edited:
You make playing SOD sound a lot like work. Who the fuck wants to spend time PLANNING to play a computer game? Obviously raids are an exception but a casual player isn't going to do this.

It takes maybe 5 minutes to talk with a friend and decide ok tomorrow we're going to go grind in Splitpaw or tomorrow it's time to up our game and hit up Rust entry. I'm not talking about holding a strategic planning meeting here or anything.

A lot of people here in this post are calling for changes to the Dream. Makes sense, it is the first impression a new player receives of the game. Do I think they should fight a dragon and be fully geared by the end of the Dream like sodshaman is suggesting...not so much. I'm actually curious if the Devs have any logs pertaining to this. Like the last time a player logged in and then camped....if a bunch of new people's logs are showing that the last thing they did was /camp in the Dream I think that would be a good indicator that the Dream is indeed actually the problem.

A lot of people here in this post are calling for changes to the Dream. Makes sense, it is the first impression a new player receives of the game. Do I think they should fight a dragon and be fully geared by the end of the Dream like sodshaman is suggesting...not so much. I'm actually curious if the Devs have any logs pertaining to this. Like the last time a player logged in and then camped....if a bunch of new people's logs are showing that the last thing they did was /camp in the Dream I think that would be a good indicator that the Dream is indeed actually the problem.

I never proposed they come out of the dream fully geared. And I never once said they had to do the dragon fight. The dragon comment was actually something someone previously posted in this thread as a "HEY! THIS IS WHAT YOU COULD BE DOING AT LEVEL 65!!!!!!!!!!" because people see nothing but gloomy shitty npc's walking around for the first hour is pretty depressing and shows a very boring intro to the game, which leads a new player to think the entire game will be pretty boring and bland.

It takes maybe 5 minutes to talk with a friend and decide ok tomorrow we're going to go grind in Splitpaw or tomorrow it's time to up our game and hit up Rust entry. I'm not talking about holding a strategic planning meeting here or anything.

Lol...after reading that I thought of meeting inside the pentagon's war room. Thanks for making me laugh today.

...they should fight a dragon and be fully geared by the end of the Dream...

You know, taking out the sarcasm from that concept, it's actually a really, really good idea. With the dream being skippable, you could really tailor it towards new players in a way designed to get them to stick it out. Meaning, no one's really going to bitch if you make the dream take longer, but more engaging. Ex, redesign the dream to feed the char progressively more and more (powerful) loot the further you go in (which will all despawn upon leaving), throw a couple scripted battles (simulating group play and perhaps show off some simple class diversity, strengths, and weaknesses) which require minimal interaction or chance of death for the player, but allow them to progressively feel the effects of the loot as they obtain more through the dream, and then one big scripted event right before they leave (simulating a raid). Hook, line, sinker. The game is addictive as hell, all people have to do is play it.

in Blood of the Akkadian, another EQEMU, there was a potion of the "Tutorial" where the player was dreaming of past glory. The player was in Nagafen's Lair with literally 20+ NPC bots that were supposed to be following you as raiders. You lead them to Nagafen and had this huge epic battle.

With barely a chance to recover, out of nowhere Vox appears and the player + AI bots battled it too. In the end the player "woke up" from his dream as a level 1 <whatever class he chose>. It did a few things. made the player feel like "Wow that was cool", and gave them a taste of whats to eventually come. Also gave them some fun to keep them coming back and playing, at least for a while.

in Blood of the Akkadian, another EQEMU, there was a potion of the "Tutorial" where the player was dreaming of past glory. The player was in Nagafen's Lair with literally 20+ NPC bots that were supposed to be following you as raiders. You lead them to Nagafen and had this huge epic battle.

With barely a chance to recover, out of nowhere Vox appears and the player + AI bots battled it too. In the end the player "woke up" from his dream as a level 1 <whatever class he chose>. It did a few things. made the player feel like "Wow that was cool", and gave them a taste of whats to eventually come. Also gave them some fun to keep them coming back and playing, at least for a while.

i agree awesome

All it takes is a few people to come up with some badass concepts, a dev team to create them, and boom........problem solved. I think it would be a great idea to show (through the dream/tutorial thing) simulated fights with NPC's, maybe have a trap set where a rogue NPC shows up and is like "<random talk of a deadly trap>" and disarms it so you can continue. As far as how long the dream lasts, what stat value the items have, or any of that -- that can be determined by our devs and our admins who overlook these things. But what is so wrong with giving your new players a set of armor(that actually is based around their class...) and not just a raw-hide tunic and a club and expect them to be giddy and joyful to go play. What does it effect anyways? The 25p sales from Kaladim - maybe. The 2k+ twink items from Ikisith? No, not at all.

People want to see that kind've stuff. This game is old. People these days see flashy games that look great, have a fluid combat system, have amazing scripted events going off around every corner. EQ has...well, lets face it...nostalgia and a spot in our hearts.

If I knew how to code this content, I would do it. I have the next 6 months of sitting around being bored, so maybe I'll look into learning!

Last edited:

The point I was trying to make is the game itself should easily facilitate grouping and experiencing without the need to plan anything. Take WoW, for instance, with the introduction of Dungeon Queuing, you could get ported directly to the dungeon of your choice when you were matched with another group. I am not saying this is the correct solution for SoD, but holy crap was it nice to be able to log on and within 10 minutes have an instance group.

Although the image of people sitting around a table planning their experience grind is hilarious.

No, definately do not put something epic into the Dream. That's the kind of stuff you do in World of Warcraft. For the first twenty levels, you are the epic hero, saviour of your people, the general of the great battle, and high wizard of the order. Ding level 21, leave the starting area, and you are suddenly Dumbnoob... barely fit to gather batwings with the five year old children.

As a player who had been gone a few years, I played through the Dream earlier this week. The problems with the dream, if they can be called that, are these:

It's long and dark, and more than once, I found myself running the wrong direction.

Doing the Choice was easy. However, I didn't know I had to talk to the first person again. I ran off, only to be teleported back to the beginning and told I needed to speak with the Guide, who had no words for me. I figured it out, but I wasn't happy.

The First, Second, Third, and Last were disappointing. It felt like there was going to be something more there at the end, but the developer ran out of time or interest and we got four filler mobs that hand us stuff for no reason.

In any case, we need to do some lore lessons before doing the Choice, to get us up to speed on the Mythology.

Back
Top Bottom