Account Drive Brainstorming

The argument for double xp widening gaps is that the people who take the greatest advantage of a double xp period are the super hardcore people that inject monster energy drink into their penis and then stay up for the entire weekend chain-smoking cigarettes of the devil's marihuana, thusly getting tons and tons of xp, whereas a normal person logs in for 30 minutes and gets 10 minutes of double xp because they spent the rest of the time buffing and walking there.

Here is an actual photo of the last double xp weekend:

jBZFl.jpg

You can see the problems already.

Also, do we really want a new player's first Dalaya experience to be during a double-exp week? They may be completely turned off from the game when the bonus ends because they are used to it being a certain speed.

Instead of just a double exp week, it would be great to have a week of special noobie events run by the GM's. I don't think it would be too hard to come up with a bunch of ideas for new players to interact with each other and the world while earning cool rewards or quick money. I guess the only problem is having enough staff to run the events.

I don't even think new content will do it. There is still previous unbeaten content in prison, as well as OG and people still haven't come back.

permanent double exp would be a good idea

content in a linear progression doesnt affect population much. i mean, how many people in the game care about the unbeaten content in prison or the 6 mans in overgrowth. like 25 people total? but new mid-tier mobs could rejuvenate the t8-10 game, which is where hundreds of people are. undercity is a good example of this

Here's to hoping that the Blessed Zone of Tears of Elael encourages people to get the items for access to Temple of Elael... that's in the tier range you mentioned.

Tears could be blessed, annointed, and raised as a diety, and people will still not want to go there. Why? Because the zone sucks, plain and simple. There's so much ground clutter, it is easy to not see a mob.. most of which blend into the rampant colors there. Meanwhile, it has no problem seeing you. It makes travel into the zone to set up for xp very difficult, and after a couple wipes, people just say screw it and head off to the usual Iki hunting grounds, Kaesora, Citadel, and BQ.

Exp zones closeish to easily accessible places makes a wipe a little more stomach-able. I mean, you could get a buff bot crew (the bane of most people's existence: always logging in long "deceased" characters to buff with in most cases) at the table in Tears of Elael, so if you wiped there its an easy recovery, but really... realistically... no.

Kaesora is cool, quick port to murk, zone into FoB, there ya go. Remnants was my favorite zone for a long time. Can bind there, nothing aggros unless you want it to, can hang out and kill gators, AND if you spend a little time questing, you can even sell there. Great zone imo.

Blessing a miserable zone wont make people want to go there. Fun and chill places to hang out with friends will. Shorter and slightly more forgiving clears to encounters would make them more fun to engage (some 6 man take like 20min, some take a couple hours).

Here's to hoping that the Blessed Zone of Tears of Elael encourages people to get the items for access to Temple of Elael... that's in the tier range you mentioned.

Assuming Vah gate neck ( I only know very few players with Murk gate clicky and no Druid with the Murk port) the run is:
SWoT ---> Oasis ---> NWot ---> Prophets' ---> Murk ---> FoB ---> Tears
... which kills the zone for everyone not playing in chunks of 8h or more.

It takes me 10~ minutes to run from sadri malath to field of bone. On a necromancer with no flight of eagles. I also get stuck in trees in the murk. Somehow.

You can also zone Refuge->BQ->tears.

ALTERNATIVELY YOU COULD JUST BIND IN THE GIANT FORT AND NOT RUN THERE AT ALL JUST SAYIN

Guys, you are getting WAY off topic. This is a thread about the Account Drive and what we can do to encourage new people to start playing and stick around. No new player is going to give a shit if you add more T8 content or revamp a 65 experience zone. Maybe they will care when they hit 65 but by that point they are already heavily invested in the game and it won't matter.

I agree with secrets somewhat. The dream is very dull for the most part. Seasoned users hate running through it because its 3 minutes of wasted time. Much of 1-65 of sod is lacking. You do not have any real memorable things like you did in everquest but maybe this is just due to the fact that it is everquest. RIP Kithicors woods newbie experience.

re: exp zones. implement a spell effect that is on a potion that gives increased xp.

allow access to a command that summons a free double exp potion that never expires, but is lore. after the event time is up, disallow the potion from being summoned. people who only play for 30 minutes per day can save the potion to play on their terms, the powergamer still gets a chance at a double exp marathon but cannot hoard the double exp potions.

Remaking the Dream would be very worthwhile imo. But besides that, I have a suggestion. I suggest we have some kind of joint operation web blitz. We need 2 people to visit a dozen key forums on the internet. One person posts about SoD, and the second person replies a week later to bump the post and talk about how much fun they have. You could offer people some fame if they get involved in doing this.

Step1:
Lay out a list of about a dozen websites. Some examples are FoH, Bit Tech, Hexus, Anandtech, Widescreen Gaming Forum, Eurogamer, Kongregate, PC Gamer Forums, and some others.

Step2:
Draw up a chart of who will deal with each website, and maybe have some extra people in reserve incase someone goes AWOL.

Step3:
Give the participants something, but people should bear in mind that we should do this just to support a game we love.

Step4:
Arrange an in game GM event and drum up some excitement, perhaps advertise it in the above planned posts.

Guys, you are getting WAY off topic. This is a thread about the Account Drive and what we can do to encourage new people to start playing and stick around. No new player is going to give a shit if you add more T8 content or revamp a 65 experience zone. Maybe they will care when they hit 65 but by that point they are already heavily invested in the game and it won't matter.

I realize an account drive is primarily to attract new blood to the server, but a couple tweaks or additions here and there to the mid-tier game could bring back quite a few who have left over the recent months. Not entirely off topic

Have the Admins/Devs do an AMA on reddit. This should ideally get people to at least take a look at the server.

Promote/use the subreddit already created for SoD, and advertise cool things. Create some sort of promotional fun items given out to players that join during the account drive (players love dumb junk like that)

Make 1-30 faster, and much, much more exciting, and hype that up. But, make sure it's actually fun. (Not your idea of fun, because to be honest that can kind of be bad and not fun, but create a test server and let players test it and tell you what they think is fun, and actually listen to them. It's the players experience and entertainment you should be worried about anyway)

Implement some sort of buddy/mentor/recruit-a-friend system where current players can recruit people, and they both get some sort of bonus.

Basically, look at what other games do to get new players, and copypasta that. But all the advertising in the world probably isn't going to help if they log in and get kicked in the nuts by the huge shitty grind that stands in front of them and instantly lose hope.

Since everyone (myself included) is so interested in xp, how about make it part of the account & recruitment drive? Instead of giving fame for one time donations factor this into double xp for everyone and add a special personal reward to the donator? I'm going to throw out arbitrary numbers to make an example, but use whatever.

1) For every $500.00 total raised by special donation the server gets 12 hours double xp.

2) Each PERSON who donates gets a double xp potion for every $20.00 they contribute. You can cap this amount if you're concerned about people "buying" too much xp.

3) Give new people coming in pair of double xp potions and maybe a reasonable beginner item.

This system would raise money for the server and reward the individual who contributes without saying "screw you" to anyone who can't pay. It would also satisfy those who feel a straight double xp for all would help only the bigger guys since your noobs are getting a couple of potions. Even better, having potions as part of the reward system would bypass the whole energy drink penis injection problem since people will use them at different times. If the server raises a buttload of money, there's also nothing to say if we collectively earn 3 days it can't be taken in 6 individual 12 hour segments, assuming that's not clunky for staff to manage.

Last edited:
Have the Admins/Devs do an AMA on reddit. This should ideally get people to at least take a look at the server.

I think promoting through Reddit could drum up quite a lot of new nerds, just by virtue of reaching such a large audience of people with similar interests.

Back
Top Bottom