Account Drive Brainstorming

I personally think the Dream is fine. Gives new players the extreme basics, that are semi different from most other mmos. Tutorial modes are typically the most annoying thing ever, so the shorter the better.

If you make the dream an hour long event and come out at level 5, you are killing some content. Some low level adepts and starter areas. Big deal to some people, but always hated updates that killed old content. Instead of adding stuff to the dream, just give more newbie quests that relate to stuff you will do when you are higher level.

You could do Newport Bounties that mimic thurg or maybe target named mobs, such as kill the High Warden in BB. Another option would be a progression Bounty system. Start in newport, which targets sewers/BB. After you finish those, the npc tells you to move on to Eurdin which targets Warrens then to Athica>Kaladim, etc. The Bounty rewards could be linked to thurg, so you could be saving up for a better item later. Something like that could help guide players a bit. You could also expand it to other cities giving them options or maybe even include some less targeted adepts. My examples were just the typical leveling zones.

I think any change to mimic modern mmos would be a step in the wrong direction. I think that was original Everquest's problem, tried to change itself. I think everyone who plays sod do so because it isn't like modern mmos.

Last edited:
I agree with Hobbis. A hour long tutorial is not the way to go to teach new players it would more than likely put off a lot of people that SoD could draw in. If you want to teach all that SoD has to offer to new players through the system have them learn it as they go through the actual game. Maybe add the learning experiences to their newbie quests without forcing them to be in a zone cut off from the rest of the game. The game already explains specializations when you level up and it just takes a second to read.

A more valuable change would be to add more quests like the rogue quest where they get a piece of armor that changes as they get stronger at their class abilities. It doesn't give an end game piece of equipment,but its still useful at level 59 and that says a lot for a quest I started at level 1. This would help low levels stay interested in the lore around their starting guild.

Last edited:
I think you can do any kind of forum blitz or advertisement you want, but once you get the people here, there has to be a reason for them to stay. The easiest way to do this would be increasing the <55 content and drop rate.

I was bored a few weeks ago and created a new character. Took him into Cesspits (which is an awesome zone, by the way) and found it pretty much perma camped. The reason for that? Pretty decent low-end stuff drops there and everyone wanted it. Why not make stuff like that drop from every low-end zone? Is it really game breaking that someone who has no connections or resources on the server can get decent gear to help them progress on the server? Once they get to 55 lots of content and drops open up to them and that gear will become useless to those characters pretty quickly. However, getting them to the server and semi-easy access to that gear is key to getting people to stay.

I ran into another example of this when working on the character that I made. After spending tons of time in Cesspits to get him Franci’s Falchion and the Etheral Arch I decided to go for Jerzakt’s Feral Scimitar. I head into BB and plan for an hour or two camp to get this weapon for my warrior. I then spend 7 hours killing place holders and named not carrying this weapon! I was not there farming a ToLL or some other item to sell for profit. I was getting a weapon that my warrior could use to help him level. Seriously, 7 hours to get a low-end NO-DROP weapon?
One of the biggest problems is everyone is worried about a change “breaking” the game. If that mindset does not change, the population is only going to continue to decrease.

Ohhh, I would also pay for a perma race change.

I agree with you that race changes / gender changes as a reward for a fixed donation amount (a sane amount, not $1500) would be awesome.

I'd never really thought about the low level drop rate because I never go through the low levels, but probably low level drops, especially those of no drop items, could be much higher. I can't speak much to the low level game because I typically (well, the one time I did level up again) powerlevel through it all.

Last edited:
I ran into another example of this when working on the character that I made. After spending tons of time in Cesspits to get him Franci’s Falchion and the Etheral Arch I decided to go for Jerzakt’s Feral Scimitar. I head into BB and plan for an hour or two camp to get this weapon for my warrior. I then spend 7 hours killing place holders and named not carrying this weapon! I was not there farming a ToLL or some other item to sell for profit. I was getting a weapon that my warrior could use to help him level. Seriously, 7 hours to get a low-end NO-DROP weapon?
One of the biggest problems is everyone is worried about a change “breaking” the game. If that mindset does not change, the population is only going to continue to decrease.
Here's the thing, that weapon is really good even as a fresh 65 once you exp it up. You were given the choice between putting the time in to obtain it versus just progressing. That was a decision you made.

I think all of our problems could be solved by simply adding Fippy Darkpaw into the Newport newbie yard.

In all seriousness, I agree with Nearo on a lot of points. There need to be a lot more newbie quests that not only allow a person to gear up their character as they level, but also teach them a lot about their class and the game in general.

Fuwok, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said, "I can't speak much to the low level game because I typically (well, the one time I did level up again) powerlevel through it all". Levels 1-64 are absolute throwaway levels. There is almost no point in exploring content and doing quests at these levels because the rewards are so easily replaceable. I realize that you were part of a guild and could easily gear Kowuf up once 65, but I feel that nearly everyone tries to power through these levels, regardless.

Now, there are certainly exceptions like the Main Quest, Thurgadin, Starfall, and Newport Ring but I feel there should be tons more of these types of quests. Allow a player to accumulate a decent set of gear pre-65 if they spend the time questing and exploring the pre 65 content. By "decent set of gear", I mean a set approaching the quality of a set of Deepmetal, Imp Hide, or Shadow Silk.

Last edited:
Now, there are certainly exceptions like the Main Quest, Thurgadin, Starfall, and Newport Ring but I feel there should be tons more of these types of quests. Allow a player to accumulate a decent set of gear pre-65 if they spend the time questing and exploring the pre 65 content. By "decent set of gear", I mean a set approaching the quality of a set of Deepmetal, Imp Hide, or Shadow Silk.

I believe that if we are going to encourage players pre-65 to do more questing and exploring of the game, then the rewards for such questing and exploration should be just slightly better than what can be bought. The problem with that of course is Ikisith droppables.

Global drops was a great addition to the game and i feel like it could be the start to something bigger. as games Progress like EVerquest live and SoD have you have problems with the lower level player base catching up. Everquest live has made it so you can rush through the levels damn near as fast as possible.

for every 10 levels there's a set of full gear that drops commonly off every named and rare on trash mobs its all 100% random items iirc but the stats are considered " twink " for the level.

Some might say that well then the nubs won't see the content from 1-65 but like previously mentioned people just want to get to 65 as fast as possible anyways. Dev's might feel like well we put all that work in place years and years ago and people should have to play in those zones, well noone wants to play in those zones anymore. everyone is level 65 and thats where the game truly begins so noone is gonna care about anything pre 65.

so noone is gonna care about anything pre 65.
people just want to get to 65
everyone is level 65

Repeating that nonsense doesnt make it more true.

fomelo Moraelin,Baars,Melhdur,Iloa,Xiuw,Narick,Snutz,Jereth,Vfalnre etc.,all active players.
And I even wish the levels pre 55 (or 51) wouldnt be that fast.

You need to learn to accept that the game is not only about YOU,and that there are different play
styles.

fomelo Moraelin,Baars,Melhdur,Iloa,Xiuw,Narick,Snutz,Jereth,Vfalnre etc.,all active players.

You need to learn to accept that the game is not only about YOU,and that there are different play
styles.

Wait, so your example of people that aren't 65 that *care* about the pre-65 levels are a bunch of ultra twinks that are sitting at 55 in order to do adepts? There is no way those toons could achieve that level of gear at 55 on their own without poopsock farming cash. How many of those toons have level 65 toons?

Wait, so your example of people that aren't 65 that *care* about the pre-65 levels are a bunch of ultra twinks that are sitting at 55 in order to do adepts? There is no way those toons could achieve that level of gear at 55 on their own without poopsock farming cash. How many of those toons have level 65 toons?

I have 65 toons.
We dont sit at adepts,what for should we do that,what we do is build mid 45 to 59 groups to help them xp'ing or go to them with places
they usually wont see at that level like the area behind minos in Lasanth,Siren's or such.Sadly the choices are very limited cause interesting
places for mid 55s like EW orcs,DN or CC are perma camped by *65* plat farmers.
Note on Melhdur is not a single adept item,he earned all the plat for his gear by himself,in fact I feed my 65s plat
for their charms with him.

Narick,Snutz,Jereth,Vfalnre are all *mains*,they have no 65s.And I know more 55 mains.

Me and others who have 65s go on adept raids if *needed* to fill them or if they are lacking certain
classes,other than that we stay away from adepts.

Last edited:

styles.

im not saying the game is about me im saying the game is about level 65's. i know when i log into a game for the first time my long term goal is to be a pixelated badass. i don't log into games oh go oh well i want to just get to 55 and chill in that level range for awhile. what you're talking about is maybe the 1%. do a /who all 50-60 and then do a who all 61 65.

I have 65 toons.
We dont sit at adepts,what for should we do that,what we do is build mid 45 to 59 groups to help them xp'ing or go to them with places
they usually wont see at that level like the area behind minos in Lasanth,Siren's or such.Sadly the choices are very limited cause interesting
places for mid 55s like EW orcs,DN or CC are perma camped by *65* plat farmers.
Note on Melhdur is not a single adept item,he earned all the plat for his gear by himself,in fact I feed my 65s plat
for their charms with him.

Narick,Snutz,Jereth,Vfalnre are all *mains*,they have no 65s.And I know more 55 mains.

Me and others who have 65s go on adept raids if *needed* to fill them or if they are lacking certain
classes,other than that we stay away from adepts.

I think what you fail to grasp is that this game will never be developed around players that perma-park their characters at 55. The choices of zones to explore at 55 are limited because you aren't supposed to spend the rest of your toon's life at level 55. You are missing out on a majority of the game's content by not levelling up.

There is nothing wrong with you and your friends playing the game this way but you have to understand that this is not the norm and the majority of players do not feel this way.

styles.

I'm fairly certain baars is just Baar but he remade another shaman so he could have an uber 55 shaman again.

Having a fresh-ish perspective on this. When I joined there were a few things I found lacking and I dont feel that all of it is fixable admin side. In general the hard parts of starting fresh is not having people low level to level up with or having access to the gear to make having to solo/duo content more fun.

Starting fresh on this server isn't hard, especially if you have ever played EQ and knew the fundamentals off the bat. I feel like xp and money is spread out well to allow for people to make something of them selves or have a few good items by 55. I dont feel like enough is done to expose access to things to make your life easier. Short of having people make videos on how to set up good UIs or hot key tricks, I don't know how much of that is can be imparted by anything but experience.

One thing I would like to see is making some content a little more in a newb's face. I had to go digging around in the Wiki to find out about a lot of quests and as a first time person it could all be intimidating or often pass right by them. Its easy for an intelligent person to find themselves to the wiki, or even a dumb one once berated enough in OOC but I don't feel like
that is enough. Perhaps rewards for people who make good guides or update older ones.

I think the addition of decent level-able armor/weapons generalized for the 4 armor archetypes or even specialized. The Oggok plate armor comes to mind. I also know of the Newport Cup but having done both I would say that the NC needs to be shaped up a bit. Its effort vs reward pales in comparison to Oggok Plate and there isnt one for leather or chain.

Maybe a low level "epic quest" type weapon. It wouldnt need to be balls out good but it could be decent and just require a long chain that rewarded more in XP or Cash then in the final weapon. Or even like a lvl 15 version of the starfall/thurg quests that had a lot of drops for a number of classes in the same area to encourage grouping there? Maybe a zone like cesspits set for ~25-35. I know there are a number of good zones in that level range but this one could have the quests all housed in it (not unlike runnyeye but easier to get to?)

I also found, having brought a friend recently to SoD, that Adepts are a large draw and some of the most fun people have. I would like to see more adepts or have mini adepts that could maybe be 3 or 4 manned, maybe drop a better than average item for that level that doesn't level?

Those are the best things I can think of.

The dream idea is very nice idea.

I think a good hook line and sinker would be showing them what they will get into if they keep playing as they run through the dream. In that starting area there is that giant gate, What about throwing in a raid of npcs fighting a dragon to show "this is end game content and this is what you can look like if you stick around."
Also more color instead of a quite desolate land. Looks more like a Nightmare then a dream. All dark and gloomy, no real direction in where to go. It kind of strayed me from going on, but If I were to see a big dragon raid battle going on, and as I walked through and I saw some other very cool aspects of game as a teaser. I feel it would most definitely do the trick.

Just my opinion though.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this everyone.

Nice ideas jefe. I think the Dream needs work. I had some friends who I finally talked in to trying the game once, but the dream was a big obstacle. It was a spur of the moment evening, the first few hours was spent them trying to get the game installed again, then trying to work out how to make SoD work. Finally they got in the game and then had to spend forever trying to get it set to widescreen and get the UI moved around etc. Then the mouse worked like crap and it took me a while to remember that they needed EQplaynice. Eventually I had to sleep and they tried to carry on. One of them couldn't work out how to get past the highway robbery trial bit where you have to give an item to whoever you like. I think he was forgetting to hail them first or something, not sure. He gave up at that point and never came back, although he blamed it on the game being too old and ugly.

The other guy was so excited to be back in EQ again, but he got a bit lost in the dream, and then for some reason he felt compelled to attack one of the shadows which one shotted him. He eventually made it out of the dream after what seemed like about 2 hours, and I met him in Kelethin, and we went hunting but there were hardly any mobs in the zone. I insisted that he would be better off if we moved to Newport but he said he wanted to hunt in G.Faydark and ended up quitting. Neither have been back.

Admittedly, although former EQ players, all they have done for the last 5 years or so is play WoW which has obviously rotted their brains to the point where they can no longer navigate an area without a map and flashing compass, they can't resist the urge to attack anything they see, they can't work out basic hail/give mechanics, and they have no patience. But when you think about it, this describes the average modern gamer.

Last edited:
The account drive is amazing. I will get links going to my EQ guild, my GW2 guild, my WoW guild, and a few forums that I casually stroll through. Race changes for a fee isn't a bad idea. I would pay 20 dollars to change my shaman into an Ogre for the racial benefits. I would pay an additional 20 dollars to have my rogue changed to a Wood Elf. It is a great way to make easy cash, people become happy, and nobody has to sign up for a donor status and pay monthly.

The leveling isn't horribly slow here. It is pretty fast, almost on par with with most games. It isn't double exp weekend that will keep a gamer here. They will come here to play the game. SoD is(imo) a raiding server. Sure, there are casual players and guilds, but it is a raiding scene. People want to raid. That is what the "new generation" games teach people. Someone earlier mentioned that we shouldn't minic modern mmo's but I mean....that is what gets your players these days. You hit cap level reasonably fast, you gear up through dungeons, and you start raiding. That is the mind-set of gamers in 2012 - as Robots posted, new players will come here and won't understand things, won't have the patience, and will just log off.

There are great ideas floating around in this community. Having to constantly consult the wiki sucks and most new players wouldn't even think about doing that. It is hard to acquire proper gear as a new player with zero knowledge of the vendor listing system. But I think the biggest problem this server has had(and always will have) is the gap between the highly invested and the new. Not many want to break the mold, not many want to make things easier(because they had it so rough), and not many seem to honestly care about bridging the gap. You see posts discussing things all the time to and it boils down to nothing being done because nobody honestly cares enough. 9:30pm on a Thursday night and there is 130 accounts shown logged on. That is 1/5 of P99, 1/3 of The Hidden Forest(which is a shit custom server), but twice the amount of people logged on in my EQ guild.

I'm sure the flames will come to this post, but it is sadly a truth. Oozu made a great statement when he said
but like previously mentioned people just want to get to 65 as fast as possible anyways. Dev's might feel like well we put all that work in place years and years ago and people should have to play in those zones, well noone wants to play in those zones anymore.
And another quote that stood out in this thread
But all the advertising in the world probably isn't going to help if they log in and get kicked in the nuts by the huge shitty grind that stands in front of them and instantly lose hope.
These are just my opinions from reading forum posts between the years 2008 until now. Same old song and dance it seems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom